PDA

View Full Version : Throwing Out The Slobber-Knocker

Krusty
12-10-2006, 10:30 AM
Get your pitch forks and roasting spices out because I'm going to throw out this slobber-knocker trade proposal that will make you cringe:

Reds trade RHP Aaron Harang to Houston for RHP Dan Wheeler, RHP Jason Hirsh and LHP Troy Patton.

Now if the deal happens, the Reds go out and sign RHP Jeff Suppan to a three year or four year deal. The amount each year would be along the same lines what Harang could command in arbitration.

Now while I don't support aiding Houston to another division crown, the Reds acquire a closer in the deal in Wheeler. Hirsh is a top-rated pitching prospect and with him and Bailey (I got the feeling Homer will make the rotation sooner than we all expect), the Reds will have a one-two punch for the next six years. Patton is another top prospect that could be a factor in the rotation in two years.

Houston is desperate for another starter but unless they get in the Barry Zito sweepstakes (and I doubt Barry will be going to Houston), they will have to take their chances with what's left on the free agent market. And if you're the Reds, you're selling Harang at a high point and the money he will command in arbitration will make you wonder if the Reds will be able to afford his services longterm.

Okay, get the hot sauce out and start basing me.

Edd Roush
12-10-2006, 10:39 AM
Krusty, as much as I love the results of this trade, I don't think I could live with myself, if I was the one who pulled the trigger on this deal. Harang is the heart and soul of the rotation. He is the first guy after Rijo who we can say is a certified ace. I don't want to be trading off my ace for potential.

While I don't know much about these two young arms, I just think we should stick with our boy Harang and see if we can lock him up. He should be the guy the Reds are offering a long-term contract to. If Castelini wants to show his cajones, let's let him by seeing him lock up Harang, Edwin and Dunner. Hell, maybe he could throw enough money at Arroyo to keep him locked up in Cincinnati. This is not to say any one of these signings would be cheap. However, it would certainly be a gesture from Castellini to show that he is dedicated to the fan base.

RBA
12-10-2006, 11:10 AM
Harang is the real deal. Give him what he wants and keep him a Red until he retires.

mth123
12-10-2006, 11:18 AM
Harang is the real deal. Give him what he wants and keep him a Red until he retires.

Ab-SO-Lutely. (or at least 4 years or so.)

Always Red
12-10-2006, 11:21 AM

I agree with that.

Arroyo is the guy who would rather be somewhere else, and if the Reds can accomodate that and get some value in return (similar to the above players), I'd expedite that ASAP.

Jpup
12-10-2006, 11:44 AM
no way I would trade Aaron Harang, no way.

dunner13
12-10-2006, 12:02 PM
Harang is a #1. Got to hold on to him.

Highlifeman21
12-10-2006, 12:53 PM
I agree with that.

Arroyo is the guy who would rather be somewhere else, and if the Reds can accomodate that and get some value in return (similar to the above players), I'd expedite that ASAP.

I agree completely. The writing's on the wall for Arroyo to definitely no longer be a Red post 2008, and maybe even sooner. Sell high on Arroyo.

Harang is the only starter I'd wanna lock up for 3-4 years after 2007.

roby
12-10-2006, 12:57 PM
Nice thought, Krusty...but I couldn't trade Harang either. he has been a breath of fresh air. I'd rather get a couple of those Houston prospects for Dunn.

Krusty
12-10-2006, 01:45 PM
Okay. So would you deal Arroyo instead of Harang for Wheeler, Hirsh and Patton?

OnBaseMachine
12-10-2006, 01:47 PM
I would feel better if it were Arroyo to Houston for Patton, Hirsh, and Wheeler. That's a great idea Krusty. Reds would recieve two young pitchers with top of the rotation potential plus a solid major league reliever. I would have to pull the trigger on this one.

Krusty
12-10-2006, 01:54 PM
I would feel better if it were Arroyo to Houston for Patton, Hirsh, and Wheeler. That's a great idea Krusty. Reds would recieve two young pitchers with top of the rotation potential plus a solid major league reliever. I would have to pull the trigger on this one.

There are still some free agent bargains that could make the Reds rotation. But if you can add two promising young arms for the rotation and get a guy who can close games, sometimes you might have to bite the bullet.

cincyinco
12-10-2006, 02:35 PM
As far as slobber knocker proposals go Krusty, this is one of your better ones. But I agree with the sentiment to trade Arroyo before Harang.

jmac
12-10-2006, 02:40 PM

I second that....third it....fourth it.....so on and so on and so on !

buckeyenut
12-10-2006, 02:46 PM
Okay. So would you deal Arroyo instead of Harang for Wheeler, Hirsh and Patton?

Yes, I would do that deal, pretty quickly.