PDA

View Full Version : Anyone following the Colts game?

harangatang
12-10-2006, 03:22 PM
Quite an upset if Jacksonville can hold on over the Colts, 37-10, 0:22 left in the 3rd quarter.

MWM
12-10-2006, 03:34 PM
Not good for the Bengals.

RedsManRick
12-10-2006, 03:40 PM
If this game is any indication, Rudi is in for a great day vs. Indy.

JaxRed
12-10-2006, 03:49 PM
Actually, Jacksonville was VERY confident that they would win the game going in. They felt going that Indy had no way to stop their running game.

Now that Jax has dumped the totally immobile, and slow-release Leftwich, they will be a very good team.

redsfanmia
12-10-2006, 04:21 PM

Not so sure about that, the Colts are flat out terrible at nearly every phase of the game now. They cant stop the run, the offense has not been clicking and has struggled the last few games, and the special teams has been bad. I think the Bengals come here (from Indy, Cots fan) and wins IMO.

OldRightHander
12-10-2006, 04:24 PM
Not so sure about that, the Colts are flat out terrible at nearly every phase of the game now. They cant stop the run, the offense has not been clicking and has struggled the last few games, and the special teams has been bad. I think the Bengals come here (from Indy, Cots fan) and wins IMO.

But it still would have been good if the Colts had beaten the Jags and put them farther back in the wild card race.

Jpup
12-10-2006, 04:31 PM
As the resident Titans fan, I would like to say that Vince Young is the greatest thing since sliced bread.

:jump:

Jpup
12-10-2006, 04:35 PM
you guys can also thank the Titans for showing the NFL how to beat the Colts.

Yachtzee
12-10-2006, 05:03 PM
The Bengals pass D is pretty bad though. It may be all Manning needs to get back on track.

macro
12-10-2006, 05:05 PM

That's exactly what I've been saying this afternoon. The Bengals will be going into Indy next week against a very good team that has lost two straight. For the Bengals to win, it will mean that the Colts will have to lose three straight after starting 10-1. I don't see that happening, because of the law of averages, if nothing else. I hope I'm wrong.

As for today's loss at Jax, I don't see it as that much of upset. That's not an easy place to win, down there.

Jpup
12-10-2006, 05:05 PM
The Bengals pass D is pretty bad though. It may be all Manning needs to get back on track.

run the ball down their throats and don't let Manning on the field. That's how you beat the Colts.

MWM
12-10-2006, 05:10 PM
I guarantee you the Colts will be ready and completely fired up for the Bengals next week. To be the Colts you have to have a good pass rush. THat's the only thing that can slow Manning down. The Bengals don't have that. The Bengals will put up points, but I have little faith in their ability to stop the Colts offense. I think we'll see a similar game to what we saw last year. I'd have felt much better about their chances had the Colts gone out and handed it to Jax today.

Caveat Emperor
12-10-2006, 05:12 PM
In other news, the Buccaneers took another step forward in the quest to reach that mythical #1 draft pick and Brady Quinn.

Jpup
12-10-2006, 05:14 PM
I guarantee you the Colts will be ready and completely fired up for the Bengals next week. To be the Colts you have to have a good pass rush. THat's the only thing that can slow Manning down. The Bengals don't have that. The Bengals will put up points, but I have little faith in their ability to stop the Colts offense. I think we'll see a similar game to what we saw last year. I'd have felt much better about their chances had the Colts gone out and handed it to Jax today.

You obviously haven't watched the Colts much. Run it down their throats.

macro
12-10-2006, 05:14 PM
In addition to having to hand the Colts their third straight defeat, I might also add that the Bengals will be going to Denver to face a Broncos team that will have lost three straight home games. Is it possible for the Denver Broncos to lose four straight games on their home field? How long has it been since that happened?

EDIT: I'll answer my own question. The Broncos lost four straight home games in 1990. That team finished the season 5-11. They lost three straight at home in 1994 and again in 2002.

redsfanmia
12-10-2006, 05:15 PM

Are the Colts going to get a new coach and new approach this week? Because unless that happens they will not come out fired up, getting fired up is not the Colts way or Coach Dungy's.

GAC
12-11-2006, 08:13 AM
You obviously haven't watched the Colts much. Run it down their throats.

Yep. I'd start the game out running Rudy right at them. Not only because you can run against the Colts, but also because of ball control/time of possession.

I believe the Bengals have the better weapons. If the Colts try to adjust to stop the run, then the Bengals "trio" of receivers will have solid games.

If the game is allowed to be a shoot-out, then I'd be somewhat worried if I was a Bengal fan....

but not much. :evil:

MWM
12-11-2006, 08:53 AM
I'm sure Baltimore said the same thing about the Bengals a couple of weeks ago. When defenses are exposed THAT BADLY, it has the tendency to wake them up and to fix the problem. It's a mistake to think that because the D was so bad the last couple of weeks, it's going to continue to be that bad all the time.

ON a positive note, yesterday was a great day for the Bengals. The Jets, Chiefs, and Broncos all lost. Heck, had the Jags lost it would have been a perfect day.

JaxRed
12-11-2006, 09:10 AM
Remember, the people saying Jacksonville wouldn't win were basing it on the fact that Indy would be all fired up after losing the previous week and 2 out of last 3.

All fired up doesn't mean crap if you can't stop the run. Indy has a serious problem.

BuckWoody
12-11-2006, 09:15 AM
Next Monday should be a very good game...unless you like defense. Having Deltha back in the secondary should be a big help if for no other reason than to push Tory to the nickel back spot.

Is Bob Sanders supposed to be back next week for Indy?

Falls City Beer
12-11-2006, 09:29 AM
Watch: the score of Cincy/Indy will be like 10-3.

guttle11
12-11-2006, 10:37 AM
If Rudi carries the ball 35+ times, the Bengals will win. (Acually, they've never lost with him carrying 25+ times, but it will take more against the Colts.)

Razor Shines
12-11-2006, 12:38 PM
Are the Colts going to get a new coach and new approach this week? Because unless that happens they will not come out fired up, getting fired up is not the Colts way or Coach Dungy's.

I haven't wanted to buy into that but I am starting to. As much as I like Dungy I've got to say that this is on him. Even with Tampa Bay his teams started out hot then faultered at the end of the season. That's two completely lack luster performances in a row. I would have thought losing to a bad Titans team would have brought some life to this team. And I think you're right if they don't completely change their approach I wouldn't be surprised if the Colts don't win another game, maybe Houston, maybe.

Razor Shines
10-12-2009, 09:56 AM
I was going to start a new Colts thread, but I did a search just in case we had one in the past. This isn't technically a Colts thread, but it'll do. It's really funny to read some of the posts in this thread considering how the season in question ended up. Especially this moron:

I haven't wanted to buy into that but I am starting to. As much as I like Dungy I've got to say that this is on him. Even with Tampa Bay his teams started out hot then faultered at the end of the season. That's two completely lack luster performances in a row. I would have thought losing to a bad Titans team would have brought some life to this team. And I think you're right if they don't completely change their approach I wouldn't be surprised if the Colts don't win another game, maybe Houston, maybe.

That dude has no idea what he's talking about.

Anyway, I know there are a few Colts fans on this board and I figured we could use this thread to discuss the season.

I've been really impressed with the offense all season. I'm not sure if they've ever been better, I think Manning having a full training camp and pre-season has a lot to do with that. And since the Miami game the defense has looked good also. I'm pretty pumped for how this season could turn out (hopefully we don't have to play the Chargers).

EDIT: Guess we didn't have a "Tavern" back then. I'm sure this can be moved.

cinredsfan2000
10-12-2009, 10:19 AM
Not sure if the Colts Offense is that unstoppable or the Titans D just looked that bad.Either way another good day for Peyton who just makes it look routine just another day putting up 300 + yards passing.

Razor Shines
10-12-2009, 11:12 AM
Not sure if the Colts Offense is that unstoppable or the Titans D just looked that bad.Either way another good day for Peyton who just makes it look routine just another day putting up 300 + yards passing.

Yeah, the Titans D is pretty bad this year. He's made it look pretty easy against pretty much everyone they've played this year. And I guess really Miami is the only team they've played with a really good defense. He put up 300+ yds against them with less than 15 mins total offense time of possession.

Hoosier Red
10-12-2009, 01:23 PM
I was going to start a new Colts thread, but I did a search just in case we had one in the past. This isn't technically a Colts thread, but it'll do. It's really funny to read some of the posts in this thread considering how the season in question ended up. Especially this moron:

Anyway, I know there are a few Colts fans on this board and I figured we could use this thread to discuss the season.

I've been really impressed with the offense all season. I'm not sure if they've ever been better, I think Manning having a full training camp and pre-season has a lot to do with that. And since the Miami game the defense has looked good also. I'm pretty pumped for how this season could turn out (hopefully we don't have to play the Chargers).

It's remarkable that in the Colts' super bowl year, they looked as vulnerable during the regular season as they have since they began the playoff run. They lost three games in the division. Gave up 375 yards to the Jags on the ground. Gave up 153 yards to Ron Dayne in a loss to the Texans. They were on the whole mediocre for the last 8 weeks of the season. Fortunately Norv Turner can't coach the Chargers against anyone but the Colts.

Caveat Emperor
10-12-2009, 01:48 PM
FWIW -- until Dungy won that Super Bowl, that quote summed up his career: nice guy, good defensive mind, good coach, teams fold in the playoffs. It's what got him bounced from Tampa.

Dungy proved a lot of doubters wrong, but that doesn't mean the position being taken by the doubters was illogical.

MWM
10-12-2009, 02:40 PM
I'm not so sure about that. In the NFL, samples are so small, that it's virtually impossible to draw conclusions on that kind of thing. It's damned hard to win "the big ones" in the NFL. Very few teams do it consistently that a coach coming up short in those games a few times does not necessarily mean they're incapable of coaching in them.

redsfanmia
10-12-2009, 03:33 PM

The fool who made the statement that you responded to had not clue about anything either.....That was me. I really like the team this year, I like Caldwell and Peyton is on fire. It seems to me the Colts only weakness is the running game and I am not sure if we cant run the ball or just dont have to.

redsfanmia
10-12-2009, 03:35 PM
FWIW -- until Dungy won that Super Bowl, that quote summed up his career: nice guy, good defensive mind, good coach, teams fold in the playoffs. It's what got him bounced from Tampa.

Dungy proved a lot of doubters wrong, but that doesn't mean the position being taken by the doubters was illogical.

I think Dungy would be classified as a great coach not just a good one. Check out his regular season record and the fact that he built a Tampa franchise from the bottom up and built them into a championship team.

Caveat Emperor
10-12-2009, 05:59 PM
I think Dungy would be classified as a great coach not just a good one. Check out his regular season record and the fact that he built a Tampa franchise from the bottom up and built them into a championship team.

I don't think you can be considered "great" until you win the big one. Dungy is clearly a great coach -- but, in my mind, he didn't achieve greatness until he won the Super Bowl with Indy.

As a Bucs fan, I've got nothing but love for Dungy and what he did for the franchise. He took the good draft foundation that Sam Wyche had laid and brought a sense of purpose to the team. He completely changed the culture of a franchise that was used to being losers, the butts of jokes, and less popular in town than whatever team from up north was visiting.

But, it doesn't change the fact that he had some large warts on his resume prior to coming to Indy.

For one, he had difficulty developing any sort of consistency on offense. This was due in part to his conservative nature and the similarly conservative nature of the guys he hired to run his offenses (the "Buc Ball" games under offensive coordinator Mike Shula were legendary) and the tough time he and the organization had drafting and developing players to get any sort of passing attack going. They punted two day 1 QB draft choices (Trent Dilfer and Shaun King), two day 1 WR draft choices (Reidel Anthony and Jacquez Green), and a first round offensive lineman (Kenyatta Walker -- who they traded up to get). It wasn't until they brought in Brad Johnson (the epitome of the "have helmet, will travel" journeyman) and paid through the nose for Keyshawn Johnson that the passing offense developed any sort of pulse.

Second, he was consistently out-coached in big games (especially the playoffs). His teams folded like the Sunday Times routinely in the post season -- usually because their offense failed to move the football. The only game where I saw Dungy get the better of an opposing coaching staff was the 1999 NFC Championship game, where Dungy and Kiffin stonewalled Kurt Warner's magic for about 55 minutes and were a rule-changing non-catch away from killing a made for Disney story. The rest of the time was forgettable -- losing a couple times at Philly, losing at Green Bay, etc. A lot of those situations were made worse by the team falling into early season funks and having to rally back for late season victories -- usually costing them a shot at hosting playoff games or homefield advantage.

When he got to Indy, that reputation followed him. Fortunately, he was paired with a great offensive coordinator and great quarterback -- solving two issues that dogged him in Tampa right from the word go. To his credit, he stuck with what was working on that side of the ball and improved everything else.

So, yeah -- I love and respect Tony Dungy and feel that he has earned the accolades and right to be called great. But, I also understand where he was in his career when he left Tampa. He continued to grow, learn and improve himself through the entire process, though.

DTCromer
10-12-2009, 09:13 PM

Dungy should've won 2-3 Super Bowls with those teams he had. How can you be so good in the regular season and then constantly choke. . .yes, I said choke, numerous times in the playoffs. I understand he won 1 Super Bowl and I'm happy for the man, but he should've won AT LEAST 2, possibly 3 Super Bowls.

Razor Shines
10-13-2009, 11:41 AM
Dungy should've won 2-3 Super Bowls with those teams he had. How can you be so good in the regular season and then constantly choke. . .yes, I said choke, numerous times in the playoffs. I understand he won 1 Super Bowl and I'm happy for the man, but he should've won AT LEAST 2, possibly 3 Super Bowls.

I think I'd respond with this:

I'm not so sure about that. In the NFL, samples are so small, that it's virtually impossible to draw conclusions on that kind of thing. It's damned hard to win "the big ones" in the NFL. Very few teams do it consistently that a coach coming up short in those games a few times does not necessarily mean they're incapable of coaching in them.

I think it's a bit naive to say they "should have have won at least 2 Super Bowls."

DTCromer
10-13-2009, 01:32 PM
I think I'd respond with this:

I think it's a bit naive to say they "should have have won at least 2 Super Bowls."

No, I don't think so. The Colts had a dynasty of one of the GOAT offenses in NFL history. Manning/Wayne/Harrison/Clark/Addai/James and those cast of characters made that offense virtually impossible to stop. . . until the playoffs. Their defense wasn't great, but good enough for that offense.

MWM
10-13-2009, 02:19 PM
I guess Tom Brady and the Patriots were just ho-hum average and shouldn't have gotten in the way. I sure wish the world really was that balck and white.

gilpdawg
10-14-2009, 06:44 AM
It's remarkable that in the Colts' super bowl year, they looked as vulnerable during the regular season as they have since they began the playoff run. They lost three games in the division. Gave up 375 yards to the Jags on the ground. Gave up 153 yards to Ron Dayne in a loss to the Texans. They were on the whole mediocre for the last 8 weeks of the season. Fortunately Norv Turner can't coach the Chargers against anyone but the Colts.
The 05 and 07 Colts were much much better than the 06 SB win team. That's why that win was so sweet for me. We blew it the previous year, when we were clearly the best team in the league but choked it away vs. the Steelers.

gilpdawg
10-14-2009, 06:48 AM
I guess Tom Brady and the Patriots were just ho-hum average and shouldn't have gotten in the way. I sure wish the world really was that balck and white.

Yeah, I never got the whole "Manning and Dungy were chokers" label. I never thought losing to New England were chokes. New England was the better team in almost every one of their battles, and that is why they always won, until the last one. It's not a choke if you lost to a better team. Although, like I said before, the Pittsburgh game in 2005 was a gag job, but we had that "liquored-up kicker" who screwed that up.

And for some reason, the Chargers are Peyton's kryptonite, but last year's team wasn't very good and was probably an 8-8 team without a few lucky bounces.

gilpdawg
10-14-2009, 06:53 AM
Their defense wasn't great, but good enough for that offense.
No offense, but you don't know football. :D Gotta have defense in the playoffs.

And believe me, as a Colts fan, we've had some HISTORICALLY bad defenses. Not "good enough for that offense." Even the Greatest Show on Turf could get a stop when they needed to. The Colts could not for a lot of years. The 2002 Colts had the worst defense I've ever seen in the NFL. Worse than any Bengals Defense. They only got to 6-10 by winning the occasional shootout. Even their BEST defensive teams were merely average, and that was for only a year or two.

D looks pretty good (unless they are playing the Wildcat) so far this year. I gotta think we've got as good of a chance of holding the trophy this year as anybody.

Razor Shines
10-28-2009, 06:44 AM
Colts looked strong against the horrible Rams. Manning is throwing as well as I've ever seen him. That pass to Clark was pretty incredible.

They've got two more cake games and then the Pats on Sunday night the 15th. The Pats look like they have found their stride and that should be a really good game.

After that they really only have one more really tough game and that's Denver in December.

I think it's nearly impossible for the Colts to lose the South, but I will be disappointed if they are not the top seed in the AFC. 14-2 or 15-1 seem real possibilities. I'd love for the AFC to have to come through Lucas Oil this year.

Razor Shines
11-25-2009, 01:34 AM
I can't believe that the Broncos have done this to us again. I just hope somebody knocks the Chargers out of the playoffs before the Colts have to play them.

redsfanmia
11-25-2009, 04:06 PM
I can't believe that the Broncos have done this to us again. I just hope somebody knocks the Chargers out of the playoffs before the Colts have to play them.

Nah, the Colts need to exercise the Charger demon just like they did against the Patriots in 2006.

REDblooded
11-25-2009, 09:47 PM
Nah, the Colts need to exercise the Charger demon just like they did against the Patriots in 2006.

Yup... I'd RATHER be the team to take them out.

Razor Shines
11-29-2009, 08:41 PM
5 games in a row that they've trailed going into the 4th quarter. It's kept the games exciting, but can they just go out next week and lay a beating on the Titans? That would be nice.

Matt700wlw
11-29-2009, 08:42 PM
Titans are on fire right now....they may take Indy down for the first time

traderumor
11-30-2009, 08:40 AM
The Colts are a machine. But they have not been dominating their way to the perfect record. They have had to pull more than the NE game out of their rear end. But, impressive to pitch a 2nd half shutout to take yesterday's game.

blumj
11-30-2009, 09:05 AM
It's like they're an average team in the 1st half of the game, and a dominant one in the 2nd half.