PDA

View Full Version : How about Brad Wilkerson in cf?

Redus
12-11-2006, 05:06 AM
It seems the Rangers signed Kenny Lofton and they may non tender Wilkerson. Id like him in cf pushing JR to right. He had a off year last year but a return to the NL and playing in GABP might get those 2004 numbers back. Thoughts?????????:confused:

buckeyenut
12-11-2006, 06:05 AM
If he is on the market, I would love to sign Brad Wilkerson. He is a solid player, not the type of guy that should ever be DFAed.

Redus
12-11-2006, 06:39 AM
If healthy he could be the best of free agent on the market and a perfect fit in cf for the Reds :eek:

redsfanfalcon
12-11-2006, 06:39 AM
Too many k's!

Redus
12-11-2006, 06:45 AM
Too many k's!

Well I agree with that he does strikeout too much. Still I'd like to see him here.

alexad
12-11-2006, 07:36 AM
We need some backup insurance. There is no way our current outfield is going to play all 162 games this year. Freel is probably your starter in right so we really do need some back ups with experience. We have some young guys but someone who could come in and start everyday if necessary would be great. Plus if the Reds do not sign a back up first baseman, Dunn is the logic choice to do this spelling the need for a player to play left on occassion for Dunn.

It never hurts to have extra guys going into spring training. It appears the extra relief arms the Reds have stock piled will eventually pay off with a starter in return. The Yankees are in dire need of relief help and have a ton of starters. I can see the Reds and Yankees making a deal to help each other out in this area.

TeamSelig
12-11-2006, 10:12 AM
I'd sign him if he were to be DFA, but I doubt that I would trade anything for him.

Gainesville Red
12-11-2006, 10:34 AM
Worked out pretty well last time we signed a gator. You know how I feel about it.

lollipopcurve
12-11-2006, 10:37 AM
I like Wilkerson. I don't know how serious his injuries have been, but if he's relatively cheap I'd make a run at him. If he's healthy, he could do some serious damage in GABP. I think.

registerthis
12-11-2006, 10:38 AM
I'd sign him if he were to be DFA, but I doubt that I would trade anything for him.

I would. "Wilk" will produce for you, and he'll play some great defense while he does it. I, personally, would love to see him roaming the outfield for the Reds. Dunn-Wilkerson-Griffey works just fine for me, thank you.

BEETTLEBUG
12-11-2006, 11:17 AM
He is from Daviess Kentucky so that is close to Reds.

savafan
12-11-2006, 11:19 AM
Wow, from being traded for Soriano to DFA...talk about your drop in value.

westofyou
12-11-2006, 11:22 AM
Good CF, gets injured a little too much, has wicked OB skills, however makes the Reds really LH, a bit too LH.

MartyFan
12-11-2006, 11:23 AM
Looking at his hitting chart in NL stadiums, it looks like the only Central Division team he did any damage too was the Reds...I really don't know too much about him.

Will M
12-11-2006, 11:30 AM
does anyone know the date by which teams have to offer arbitration to their eligible players? in the past there have been quality players non tendered ( David Ortiz! , David Eckstein )

M2
12-11-2006, 11:43 AM
It seems the Rangers signed Kenny Lofton and they may non tender Wilkerson. Id like him in cf pushing JR to right. He had a off year last year but a return to the NL and playing in GABP might get those 2004 numbers back. Thoughts?????????:confused:

Excellent idea.

Falls City Beer
12-11-2006, 11:45 AM
Good CF, gets injured a little too much, has wicked OB skills, however makes the Reds really LH, a bit too LH.

Nah. Griffey will miss 50 games this season, so Wilkerson would be a nice complement. Not a platoon exactly, but it would even out the leftiness.

M2
12-11-2006, 11:47 AM

You can never be too left-handed. I submit the New York Yankees as proof.

westofyou
12-11-2006, 11:50 AM

I agree, the addition though would/should be tempered with a RH guy as well, Wilkerson could (and would) play all over the place as well.

Falls City Beer
12-11-2006, 11:52 AM

Plus any negative effects of his "leftiness" would be countervailed by his now much-needed OB skills. Consider the OB chasm that is the Reds' infield for a moment: a declining Hatteberg, Ross/Valentin/Moeller, AGon, Phillips. That could be OB-challenged infield for the ages right there. EE is the guarantee in the bunch. Plus, add in Griffey's declining OB skills, and it's a code red in the OB department.

I think Wilkerson will ultimately end up having the better career between him and Kearns--if Brad can stay healthy.

corkedbat
12-11-2006, 11:56 AM
I'd love to add Wlikerson - it would give us a lot of flexibility in dealing another OF or two for pitching

Redus
12-11-2006, 12:21 PM
does anyone know the date by which teams have to offer arbitration to their eligible players? in the past there have been quality players non tendered ( David Ortiz! , David Eckstein )

I believe it to be tuesday

Red Leader
12-11-2006, 12:25 PM
I believe it to be tuesday

I believe you are correct. I believe it is Dec. 12th. Tomorrow.

Gary Redus
12-11-2006, 12:48 PM
This is a guy to add - we need another quality outfielder.

gm
12-11-2006, 01:16 PM
Wilkerson = Delucci with a better glove

Ravenlord
12-11-2006, 01:59 PM
if Wilkerson actually gets his shoulder worked on this winter, i'd love it.

Red Leader
12-11-2006, 02:05 PM
if Wilkerson actually gets his shoulder worked on this winter, i'd love it.

He had shoulder surgery in August. Are you saying that you think he needs additional work done? There was some damage found and repaired to his rotator cuff.

Falls City Beer
12-11-2006, 02:07 PM
He had shoulder surgery in August. Are you saying that you think he needs additional work done? There was some damage found and repaired to his rotator cuff.

I'd be more than willing to sit through a Casey/Kearns recovery year for his shoulder if it meant getting an .850 hitter on the cheap.

Ravenlord
12-11-2006, 02:18 PM

didn't know he finally got it done. i thought his season was cut short because of a wrist issue.

Red Leader
12-11-2006, 02:24 PM
didn't know he finally got it done. i thought his season was cut short because of a wrist issue.

From what I've read, his season was actually cut short because of a biceps problem + the shoulder problem, but they checked that out when they fixed the rotator cuff and said his biceps was fine. He had taken his limit of cortisone shots. They stopped working, so he had to be put on the DL. So he should be pretty close to 100% (or closer than he was at anytime last year) going into spring training this year.

wheels
12-11-2006, 02:28 PM
My goodness, sign this fella.

I want Ohka, Wilson, and Wilkerson in Reds uniforms tomorrow.

C'mon Wayne, this isn't brain surgery.

westofyou
12-11-2006, 02:32 PM
http://www.baseballprospectus.com/article.php?articleid=5391

The Rangers haven’t gotten what they expected from Brad Wilkerson, in large part due to the chronic shoulder problem that has sapped his power and eaten into his bat control. They’ll keep getting that until (and if) they fall out of the playoff race. Wilkerson has elected to wait on shoulder surgery until the season is over. The rehab time will have him back in plenty of time for the season and doing it early wouldn’t give him any real advantages in coming back next season. There’s no real reason to expect any changes in Wilkerson’s performance and even some worry that the surgery won’t return him to his previous form. He has one more year to prove himself before free agency.

http://www.baseballprospectus.com/article.php?articleid=5433

The Rangers finally bit the bullet and sent Brad Wilkerson for surgery. The acquisition of Wilkerson hasn’t worked out on many levels, though at the time of the deal, I thought it was a great move by Jon Daniels. It’s easy now to say that it wasn’t good, but these moves have to have an element of zeitgeist to their analysis, understanding the context of the moment of the deal. One thing I’m sure the Rangers wish is that they had a better handle on Wilkerson’s shoulder problem. Some have even suggested echoes of the Gary Majewski deal in this one. Wilkerson will have surgery on that chronically sore shoulder sometime in the near future, though I don’t know who will be doing it or what the specific type of surgery will be. It ends a tough part of Wilkerson’s career and it will be interesting to see if Wilkerson is able to come back and be productive in his free-agent year.

shredda2000
12-11-2006, 03:00 PM
Originally Posted by westofyou
...Some have even suggested echoes of the Gary Majewski deal in this one...

Damaged goods perhaps???

registerthis
12-11-2006, 03:04 PM
Do you have him lead off?

That would be my only problem with acquiring him. He's not really a leadoff hitter, and ostensibly with he, Dunn and griffey in the OF, it means no regular playing time for Freel and/or Deno, which are the only two logical choices for the leadoff spot.

I would quite enjoy seeing Wilk in the #2 position, though.

lollipopcurve
12-11-2006, 03:06 PM
...Some have even suggested echoes of the Gary Majewski deal in this one...

Any surprise that Jimbo could find no takers for Soriano?

Tom Servo
12-11-2006, 03:56 PM
I think Wilkerson would be a real good addition, and could see it happening if Wayne really is interested in acquiring a slugging outfielder like it had been rumored he was.

wheels
12-11-2006, 04:33 PM
Do you have him lead off?

That would be my only problem with acquiring him. He's not really a leadoff hitter, and ostensibly with he, Dunn and griffey in the OF, it means no regular playing time for Freel and/or Deno, which are the only two logical choices for the leadoff spot.

I would quite enjoy seeing Wilk in the #2 position, though.

I understand your point, but you're forgetting that Junior's gonna have his share of off days and injuries.

They always seem to find ways to get Freel in the lineup, so he can lead off when he plays, so heck yes I'd bat Wilkerson in the leadoff slot. He's an on base monster, and what he lacks in stolen base ability can be made up with power. A double's just as good as a single and stolen base, but without the out risk of a steal attempt.

Heck yeah, I'd bat Wilkerson leadoff.

Sabo Fan
12-11-2006, 04:36 PM
Bringing in Wilkerson and Craig Wilson would make this offense much more competitive in a hurry. In fact, I'd be pretty pleased with an offense that included Phillips, EdE, Hatteberg/Wilson, Griffey, Dunn, and Wilkerson. That's pretty good stuff right there.

You'd have Freel as your utility guy and I can live with Gonzalez at SS and a sub-par bat behind the plate as long as the defense is good. Of course, the Reds don't have that at catcher right now, but there's time for that later. Bringing in Wilkerson and Wilson then allows you to shop Denorfia and Freel around to see what they'd bring in the way of pitching.

wheels
12-11-2006, 04:42 PM
I really hope Wayne jumps all over this.

boognish
12-11-2006, 04:59 PM
This is the kind of out of the box move that has to be made...get a quality player with good OB skills and versatility--while injured--at a hefty discount, and potentially have him at his previous level the following season.

As far as I'm concerned, if the shoulder is correctible, this is a no-brainer.

To the board: what is the confidence level in the Reds medical staff (setting WK aside for a moment) to make the right decision?

flyer85
12-11-2006, 05:00 PM
Wilkerson is a high BB, high K player. I doubt WK has any interest at all.

Is interesting to note that Wilkerson was injured when traded(Leatherpants did that?), he did not have surgery on his shoulder last off-season and it ruined 2006.

wheels
12-11-2006, 05:02 PM
Wilkerson is a high BB, high K player. I doubt WK has any interest at all.

He ignored the strikeouts when it came down to the Alex Gonzalez signing.

I think Wayne likes to pay lip service to the Marty Brennaman's of the world.

wheels
12-11-2006, 05:06 PM
To the board: what is the confidence level in the Reds medical staff (setting WK aside for a moment) to make the right decision?

That's a very good, and loaded question. :D

flyer85
12-11-2006, 05:06 PM
He ignored the strikeouts when it came down to the Alex Gonzalez signing.Wilkerson is near the Dunn level @ 1 for ~3 ABs. Gonzalez is around 1 for 5 ABs for his career.

If he goes after Wilkerson we will know the "K thing" was just lip service. If he has no interest in Wilkerson it will likely be because he K's too much. Dunn and Wilkerson are pretty much locks to K 150+ times in a full season.

Red Leader
12-11-2006, 05:12 PM
Wilkerson is near the Dunn level @ 1 for ~3 ABs. Gonzalez is around 1 for 5 ABs for his career.

If he goes after Wilkerson we will know the "K thing" was just lip service. If he has no interest in Wilkerson it will likely be because he K's too much. Dunn and Wilkerson are pretty much locks to K 150+ times in a full season.

They are both also pretty much locks to walk 90-100+ times per season as well. I'd like our offense to start following some OBP models vs BA models. This is 2006, not 1986.

boognish
12-11-2006, 05:18 PM
That's a very good, and loaded question. :D

I ask because I do not have confidence...I think the Majewski situation was the last straw for me. I wanted to gauge if I was jumping to conclusions out of frustration, or if my total lack of conviction was justified.

The Guardado acquisition I thought necessary because of the circumstances (BP imploding every night, no K pitchers in relief), even though everyone knew his arm was barely held together. The guys that will come cheaply this offseason have injury concerns (Wilkerson, Ohka, Tsao, V. Zambrano, and others have been mentioned on the board), and we need our GM to have accurate information to make good decisions...moreso if he does not know what he is doing.

In the Reds' position, dumpster diving will likely have the greatest impact on W-L this season, if done correctly, IMO. Comparing costs, I'd rather have the first 3 guys I listed above than one of Jeff Suppan, Jeff Weaver, or Juan Pierre. Hopefully, Krivsky comes through over the next 8 weeks.

Willy
12-11-2006, 05:35 PM
I didn't think he was that great of a defensive CF. I may be wrong, but If he was that good why would he log so much time at 1B and LF?

Games played career
1B 161
LF 382
CF 226
RF 38

Range Factor in CF 2.61(Career)
Zone rating .873 in CF(Career)

Griffey Range factor 2.43(2006)
Griffey Zone rating .822(2006)

Griffey Range factor 2.95(1996)
Griffey Zone rating .882(1996)

Looks like Wilkeson is slightly better than Griffey today, and not as good as he was in his prime.

Wilkerson loged 1 game in CF last year.

OnBaseMachine
12-11-2006, 07:11 PM
Sign Wilkerson, Wayne. And Craig Wilson or Ensberg(if non-tendered). And Brenden Donelly.

And Ohka.:)

mth123
12-11-2006, 09:46 PM
He's played 1B in the past. If his arm is hurt, that may be the best spot for him. Deno could still play CF and lead-off and Hatte would really help the bench.

Problem is WK and Narron won't bench Hatte.

chettt
12-12-2006, 12:06 PM
Way too many K's. He had 116 K's in 320 AB last year. If you thought Dunn was bad....... JUST SAY "NO"

Redus
12-12-2006, 12:21 PM
rotoworld says the Rangers will now tender him the one year offer...im unsure if he has to accept it however.....

westofyou
12-12-2006, 12:23 PM
rotoworld says the Rangers will now tender him the one year offer...im unsure if he has to accept it however.....

He does, he's one year shy of FA