PDA

View Full Version : Merged: Marc Lancaster is leaving

Matt700wlw
12-13-2006, 06:22 PM
He was just on WLW with Gamble....he is shortly (not sure when) heading to the Tampa Tribune.

I guess he'll be covering the Devil Rays beat.

OnBaseMachine
12-13-2006, 06:23 PM
Major props to MWM, who just called this a few days ago. (he didn't actually predict Lancaster would head to Tampa but did say he would probably leave soon).

I'll miss Marc...he is an excellent writer.

Highlifeman21
12-13-2006, 06:24 PM
I bet him and Team Clark will be best friends.

RFS62
12-13-2006, 06:24 PM
Wow, that is sad news for us.

He's by far the best beat writer we've had in a long time.

Good luck, Marc. I've really enjoyed your work.

Caveat Emperor
12-13-2006, 06:25 PM
He was just on WLW with Gamble....he is shortly (not sure when) heading to the Tampa Tribune.

Best of luck to the best Reds beat writer in town.

Other than the team being awful, Tampa isn't exactly a bad place to end up. Maybe they'll let him sub on the Bucs beat with Roy Cummings every so often. :cool:

redsfan30
12-13-2006, 06:28 PM
This sucks.....I looked forward to checking his blog multiple times during the day for any new news.

When does this change take effect?

lollipopcurve
12-13-2006, 06:29 PM
Yeah, this stinks for us Reds fans. Best of luck to him.

westofyou
12-13-2006, 06:30 PM
The Post ain't long for life IIRC.

They always lose the good ones.

StillFunkyB
12-13-2006, 06:32 PM
Great, just great.

The only one worth a hoot.

Good luck Marc, you will be missed!

Heath
12-13-2006, 06:34 PM
The Post ain't long for life IIRC.

They always lose the good ones.

especially when your lease with the mothership ends at the end of the year. I'm glad he got something he can hang his hat on. Some on the Post won't be so lucky.

I'll just have to bookmark the Tampa Trib for the Rays. They got a good one.

Wonder which one of the rest of the folks will be taking care of the Reds - unless it's Fay Filler.

SirFelixCat
12-13-2006, 06:34 PM
Great, just great.

The only one worth a hoot.

Good luck Marc, you will be missed!

My sentiments exactly. Good for you, sucks for us, heh ;)

kbrake
12-13-2006, 06:36 PM
This is terrible at least for Reds fans. Good Luck Marc. And props to MWM I also remember him calling this only a few days ago.

Spring~Fields
I hate to see him go, he gave us timely information on several occasions.

Tom Servo
I'll miss Marc, a whole lot. Best of luck to him.

Chip R
12-13-2006, 06:39 PM
I thought it was funny when I heard that C. Trent Rosecrans was doing some baseball coverage recently. WOY is right, all the good ones leave and all the crappy guys remain. Good luck, Marc, in TB and don't be a stranger here. You will be missed.

Heath
12-13-2006, 07:06 PM
C. Trent Rosecrans would be a fine fill in if you ask me.

Danny Serafini
12-13-2006, 07:12 PM
One of the posters on Marc's blog had mentioned something a few days ago, but this is the first confirmation I've heard. It's too bad, Marc does some quality work. Hopefully his replacement will be up to the task.

captainmorgan07
12-13-2006, 07:38 PM
gonan miss mark i like many checked his blogs everyday to check on new from the clubhouse

Reds Fanatic
12-13-2006, 07:40 PM
I will really miss Marc. His blog was always a great place to get the latest Reds updates. Every time there was a breaking news story about the Reds Marc usually had it posted hours before any of the other sports sites even heard about the news.

Cyclone792
12-13-2006, 07:41 PM
Good luck to Marc down south. While I'm sad to see him go, it's understandable that it's likely the better career option for him personally. The Post is on life support so he's probably better off getting out of there.

Be it articles in the Post or his regular updates on the blog, I vastly enjoyed reading his articles and updates for the Reds beat. Honestly, that blog is probably what I'm going to miss the most, and when spring training hits we'll all really realize how good we've had it the past few years with Marc's blog updates. Hopefully someone else can keep some type of blog update ongoing.

BTW, is it just me, or does it seem like the best Reds beat writers come from the Post? IIRC, Tony Jackson was decent, and I thought Jeff Horrigan was pretty good too.

reds44
12-13-2006, 07:50 PM
That sucks on level I can't begin to express. He was by far the best source of Reds info.

Good luck Marc, you'll be missed.

vaticanplum
12-13-2006, 08:02 PM
Aw dangit. Good luck, Marc, but this sucks.

harangatang
12-13-2006, 08:07 PM
I saw something about this a couple of weeks ago on Red Reporter, I figured this was old news. Wow, I guess I should've posted it.

BUTLER REDSFAN
12-13-2006, 11:16 PM

from one level of baseball hell to another

M2
12-13-2006, 11:53 PM
Good for Mark. Best of luck to him. He deserves to get ahead.

Cedric
12-13-2006, 11:55 PM
Best of luck to Marc. One great reporter.

And the guy saying that Cincinnati is baseball hell needs to have his brain checked.

RedsManRick
12-14-2006, 12:08 AM
I've definitely enjoyed reading Marc's blog and general takes on the Reds. Felt like one of us "normal" zoners was in the press box rather than just a run of the mill, get-your-quote and be happy reporter. Keep up the good work in Tampa Marc!

jmcclain19
12-14-2006, 02:08 AM
Seriously bad news for Reds fan. He was by far the Reds best beat reporter.

Here's hoping his replacement is at least a shadow of Lancaster.

Topcat
12-14-2006, 02:12 AM
Best wishes Mark you're a fantastic talent and may your career continue to prosper:beerme: . You will truly be missed as many have said. Your writing and blog truly gave the Red's a first class writer on our team.

Ron Madden
12-14-2006, 04:57 AM
Good Luck Marc :wave:

Far and away the best writer and reporter on the Reds beat. You will be forever missed and rememembered fondly here in Reds Country.

redsmetz
12-14-2006, 07:34 AM
Good luck to Marc down south. While I'm sad to see him go, it's understandable that it's likely the better career option for him personally. The Post is on life support so he's probably better off getting out of there.

Be it articles in the Post or his regular updates on the blog, I vastly enjoyed reading his articles and updates for the Reds beat. Honestly, that blog is probably what I'm going to miss the most, and when spring training hits we'll all really realize how good we've had it the past few years with Marc's blog updates. Hopefully someone else can keep some type of blog update ongoing.

BTW, is it just me, or does it seem like the best Reds beat writers come from the Post? IIRC, Tony Jackson was decent, and I thought Jeff Horrigan was pretty good too.

Greg Hoard was at the Post and he was a significantly better writer than he was a broadcaster.

The Post has been hemorrhaging writers all over the place for several years. But the Enquirer's doing the same thing, just not on the Sports page. There are so many writers formerly of the dailies over on City Beat, it's not even funny. And they really get to write over there.

I know some don't like him and he's not about to become the beat writer, but Lonnie Wheeler remains at the Post and I think he's as good a sportswriter as you can find. He co-wrote Hank Aaron's autobiography, as well as Bob Gibson's.

Marc will be missed. He wasn't full of himself and that's a great thing in a sports writer.

Roy Tucker
12-14-2006, 08:00 AM
Best of luck to Marc. But I don't think he'll need it with the talent he has. He'll be missed back here. Maybe we can get Rosie hired.

A old college roomate at OU was a journalism major and did the Braves beat for the Atlanta Constitution-Journal in the mid-80's. He said a baseball writer's life isn't what its all cracked up to be. On the road a lot, crappy hours, most ballplayers are jerks, and the pay isn't great. Once he started having a family, he switched over to the Living section at AJC where he still is today.

Team Clark
12-14-2006, 08:29 AM
I bet him and Team Clark will be best friends.

I doubt it. :laugh: I have yet to re-sign so it's even more unlikely.

Falls City Beer
12-14-2006, 08:39 AM
Yeah. Good guy. Obviously interested in both his work and his readership. That's refreshing.

Good luck.

cacollinsmba
12-14-2006, 08:59 AM
from one level of baseball hell to another

It won't be hell for that long - the team here will eventually become the Las Vegas SunRays.

RollyInRaleigh
12-14-2006, 09:10 AM
Good Luck, Marc. Enjoyed your blog and the timely information that you provided us here at RedsZone. :beerme:

IslandRed
12-14-2006, 11:34 AM
That's a shame for those of us who like reading his stuff, but it probably won't hurt Marc's feelings to stay down in Florida for longer than just spring training.

Marc, if you're reading the thread, good luck and Godspeed.

Team Clark
12-14-2006, 12:31 PM
That's a shame for those of us who like reading his stuff, but it probably won't hurt Marc's feelings to stay down in Florida for longer than just spring training.

Marc, if you're reading the thread, good luck and Godspeed.

The Sunshine is nice but I do not think he is going to like the Rays facilities compared to the Reds.

traderumor
12-14-2006, 01:21 PM
Agree with all the accolades thrown Marc's way here. During the season, I started reading his game stories. They were more complete and showed thought about a game theme instead of just reviewing what happened (game logs and boxscores serve that purpose, Mr. Fay). The blog is invaluable for breaking news and I hope his successor does as good a job with that aspect as well.

IslandRed
12-14-2006, 03:13 PM
(Removed on second thought)

Redlegs
01-15-2007, 02:04 PM
Reds beat writer for the Post, Marc Lancaster is moving on to be the beat writer for Tampa Bay. I never really read his column, but I enjoyed reading his blogs as well as listening to his conversations in the booth with Marty.

"Hellooooo, Mark."
"Hellooooo, Marty."

http://frontier.cincinnati.com/blogs/spring/

reds44
01-15-2007, 02:18 PM
I just hope his replacement is half as good as he was with his blog,

paintmered
01-15-2007, 02:47 PM
I just hope his replacement is half as good as he was with his blog,

C. Trent is moving over to the Reds blog from the UC blog. He was phenomenal in his last role. I expect some good tidbits out of him.

Ron Madden
01-16-2007, 03:26 AM
C. Trent is moving over to the Reds blog from the UC blog. He was phenomenal in his last role. I expect some good tidbits out of him.

I'll miss Marc. :(

I believe CTR will do a great job. Let's give him a chance. :thumbup:

GOREDSGO32
01-16-2007, 09:37 PM
Goodbye to "The Godfather" (or is he the Bank President? I forget).

Chip R
01-17-2007, 12:45 AM
Goodbye to "The Godfather" (or is he the Bank President? I forget).

What has Marc done to have you treat him with such disrespect? ;)

Redsland
01-17-2007, 02:28 PM
Fay is the bank president.

Based on his blog photo, I fear for C. Trent's nickname.

Chip R
01-17-2007, 02:31 PM
Fay is the bank president.

Based on his blog photo, I fear for C. Trent's nickname.

Comic Book Store Guy?

Redsland
01-17-2007, 02:45 PM
:laugh: