PDA

View Full Version : Cingular commercial

RollyInRaleigh
12-15-2006, 10:56 AM
Anyone see the cingular commercial where the fellow is talking to his future father in law on his cellular phone. He then is asked to call the future father in law "Jim" because he wants them to be buddies. The son in law to be replies with "OK, Jim............Jimbo...........Jimmy Boy..............Jimmie cracked corn and I don't care.......

Well, I saw it last night, and the "Jimmie cracked corn" part had been edited out. I'm sure someone has complained that it is offensive. Anyone else see it or notice?

TeamBoone
12-15-2006, 10:59 AM
OK, I'm showing my ignorance here, but why would one find that offensive? Obviously, I don't know the real meaning behind the time-worn song.

Red Leader
12-15-2006, 11:14 AM
I believe it was a slave song.

From wikipedia:

Over the years, many variants of text have appeared, but the basic narrative remains intact. On the surface, the song is a black slave's lament over his master's death. The song, however, has a subtext of rejoicing over that death, and possibly having caused it by deliberate negligence.[1] Most versions at least nod to idiomatic African American English, though sanitized, grammatically "correct" versions predominate today.

The blue-tail fly of the song is probably a Southern variant of the horsefly, which feeds on the blood of animals such as horses and cattle, as well as humans, and thus constitutes a prevalent pest in agricultural regions. Some horseflies have a blue-black abdomen, hence the name.

oneupper
12-15-2006, 11:14 AM
"My Master's run away?"

When I was young I used to wait
On master and hand him his plate
Pass him the bottle when he got dry
And brush away the blue-tail fly

Chorus

Jimmy crack corn, and I don't care
My master's gone away

When he would ride in the afternoon
I'd follow him with my hickory broom
The pony being rather shy
When bitten by the blue-tail fly

Chorus

One day he rode around the farm
Flies so numerous that they did swarm
One chanced to bite him on the thigh
The devil take the blue-tail fly

Chorus

Well the pony jumped, he start, he pitch
He threw my master in the ditch
He died and the jury wondered why
The verdict was the blue-tail fly

Chorus

Now he lies beneath the 'simmon tree
His epitaph is there to see
"Beneath this stone I'm forced to lie
The victim of the blue-tail fly"

RedsManRick
12-15-2006, 11:25 AM
Funny how that song conjures a completely different image at 24 than it did at 6. I'm curious how it became such a commonly known tune and why it was part of the pre-school cultural song learning...

cumberlandreds
12-15-2006, 11:28 AM
Anyone see the cingular commercial where the fellow is talking to his future father in law on his cellular phone. He then is asked to call the future father in law "Jim" because he wants them to be buddies. The son in law to be replies with "OK, Jim............Jimbo...........Jimmy Boy..............Jimmie cracked corn and I don't care.......

Well, I saw it last night, and the "Jimmie cracked corn" part had been edited out. I'm sure someone has complained that it is offensive. Anyone else see it or notice?

I saw about two nights ago and that part was still in it. I guess they don't show the old Bugs Bunny cartoon anymore when he sings this song.

savafan
12-15-2006, 11:33 AM
I saw about two nights ago and that part was still in it. I guess they don't show the old Bugs Bunny cartoon anymore when he sings this song.

There are a lot of old Bugs Bunny cartoons that they don't show anymore.

Red Leader
12-15-2006, 11:41 AM

There are still some old Tom and Jerry cartoons that they do show on Boomerang that I consider questionable. Probably not as offensive as the Bugs Bunny ones, but probably not accepted by the masses in todays standards.

GAC
12-15-2006, 12:11 PM
There are still some old Tom and Jerry cartoons that they do show on Boomerang that I consider questionable. Probably not as offensive as the Bugs Bunny ones, but probably not accepted by the masses in todays standards.

I find some of the new cartoons on the Cartoon Network and Nickelodeon rather offensive as far as content and such (vulgarity).

I wouldn't allow my kids to watch them when they were younger.

I think those types of cartoons contribute more to "warping" a kid's mind then those old Warner Bros. and MGM cartoons.

Red Leader
12-15-2006, 12:14 PM
I find some of the new cartoons on the Cartoon Network and Nickelodeon rather offensive as far as content and such (vulgarity).

I wouldn't allow my kids to watch them when they were younger.

Nickelodeon isn't too bad (most of the time), but Cartoon network is off limits to my kids. Those shows are nothing more than filth and junk. My kids don't even try to watch those shows anymore because they know they're not allowed. My youngest is still young enough to enjoy the PBS kids shows (Bob the Builder, Peppa Pig, etc). My oldest prefers classic cartoons (Tom and Jerry, Bugs Bunny, etc and he loves Pink Panther) if he watches any cartoons at all. He grew through that stage pretty quick. He watches some of the Nick at Nite shows, but prefers sports if he's watching TV.

Yachtzee
12-15-2006, 12:19 PM

I actually saw that cartoon in the past year. I forget what channel, but they definitely had Bugs singing the lyrics posted by "oneupper." I had heard that they stopped showing Tom and Jerry, but I see that every so often too. The only cartoon that I've heard was specifically banned was Speedy Gonzalez, which I heard wouldn't air because of its negative depiction of Mexicans.

RollyInRaleigh
12-15-2006, 01:09 PM
Man, banning cartoons and they still let Rosie O'Donnell on the airwaves?;) Not too sensitive to the Chinese.

Personally, I think everyone is way too sensitive these days.

Chip R
12-15-2006, 03:54 PM
Maybe they should take out the word "Jimbo" as it is insensitive to leather pants wearing general managers.

Matt700wlw
12-15-2006, 03:56 PM
Next Rudi and Chad will have pixelation over their last names....

We all know what a JOHNSON can mean...

dsmith421
12-15-2006, 04:23 PM
If it was censored, I don't think they went far enough. I would advocate the destruction of every copy of that moronic commercial, plus the incommunicado internment in Guanatanamo Bay of the marketing guy who pitched it.

Red in Chicago
12-15-2006, 05:07 PM
i have yet to see one cell phone company commercial that i haven't found offensive...i want to smack joan cusack upside her annoying little head and that "can you hear me" guy is such a tool...thank goodness for tivo:thumbup:

savafan
12-15-2006, 07:50 PM
If it was censored, I don't think they went far enough. I would advocate the destruction of every copy of that moronic commercial, plus the incommunicado internment in Guanatanamo Bay of the marketing guy who pitched it.

I'd start with the HeadOn commercials honestly.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/thumb/d/dc/Headon.jpg/350px-Headon.jpg

MrCinatit
12-15-2006, 08:25 PM
I'd start with the HeadOn commercials honestly.

When the commercials making fun of how annoying the commercials are annoying in themselves, it is time to find a new agency.

savafan
12-15-2006, 09:09 PM
When the commercials making fun of how annoying the commercials are annoying in themselves, it is time to find a new agency.

Agreed

BoydsOfSummer
12-16-2006, 12:01 AM
I don't know how much of the FX channel anyone watches, but if I hear "This time you've gone too far...this time you've gone too far" again, I may go on a rampage killing spree.

redsfanmia
12-16-2006, 04:27 PM

I know of one in particular where Bugs is handing out bombs to Japenese people and using some very racist names. In fact the title of the cartoon was very offense toward the Japanese. I am going out on a limb here to say it must have been produced during WWII.

GAC
12-17-2006, 08:15 AM
I know of one in particular where Bugs is handing out bombs to Japenese people and using some very racist names. In fact the title of the cartoon was very offense toward the Japanese. I am going out on a limb here to say it must have been produced during WWII.

There were some produced during WW2 that made fun of Nazi's/Hitlers, and told people to buy war bonds. I've never seen the one you refer to.

But they were our enemy and not thought of in very high regard by the American public at that time because of Pearl Harbor, etc.

People also need to understand that those old cartoons were not designed for children, but were "shorts" to be shown in movie houses. They were more adult oriented.

redsfanmia
12-17-2006, 08:58 AM
There were some produced during WW2 that made fun of Nazi's/Hitlers, and told people to buy war bonds. I've never seen the one you refer to.

But they were our enemy and not thought of in very high regard by the American public at that time because of Pearl Harbor, etc.

People also need to understand that those old cartoons were not designed for children, but were "shorts" to be shown in movie houses. They were more adult oriented.

I understand that and back then the world wasnt ruled by political correctness. There were many movies/cartoons that had the same agenda. I hope this isnt offensive to anyone but the title of said cartoon was something like "Bugs nips the nips".

max venable
12-20-2006, 09:43 AM

Behold the cartoon of which you speak:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Oif51pk9FuE

Joseph
12-20-2006, 09:56 AM
I don't know how much of the FX channel anyone watches, but if I hear "This time you've gone too far...this time you've gone too far" again, I may go on a rampage killing spree.

I agree, it makes me want to buy a Peter Gabriel CD and that can't be a good thing.

oneupper
12-20-2006, 10:10 AM
Behold the cartoon of which you speak:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Oif51pk9FuE

I saw that one plenty of times when I was a kid (not sure if in Australia, US or Venezuela). Still don't see the problem with it. It was a wartime cartoon, the Japanese portrayed were soldiers. Maybe I missed something.

SunDeck
12-20-2006, 04:17 PM
Is it offensive because it is a slave song, or because it's a white guy singing it, or because it's about celebrating the death of his master, or something else?

Sorry, I am obviously showing my ignorance, but I didn't consider it offensive until Randy mentioned it. Not saying it should or shouldn't have been aired....help me out here with a little sensitivity training.