PDA

View Full Version : Epl

M2
12-18-2006, 04:29 PM
So Chelsea pulled a miracle from their pockets against Everton this weekend (in what probably goes down as the worst game of Tim Howard's career) and Man U. got upset by West Ham.

Bolton and Portsmouth continue to run with Arsenal and Liverpool in the battle for the other two Champions Cup slots.

At the bottom of the table, Charlton and Watford look like they're already been relegated. Newcastle and Sheffield look like they've got themselves together enough to stay in the top flight. We'll see about West Ham. Middlesbrough, currently getting beaten handily by Fulham as I type this, looks like a team swirling the bowl.

Anyway, here's a few questions as I know we've got some EPL fans on the site:

1. Who wins the regular season championshp?
2. Which four teams get the Champions Cup slots?
3. What team do you think is going to make a run from the back of the table?
4. What top of the table team do you think will struggle in the second half?
5. Who's getting relegated?

timmario66
12-18-2006, 04:35 PM
1. Who wins the regular season championshp? Chelsea again Their depth will win out unless Terry is out for an extended amount of time and hopefully Cech will be back before the end of the year.

2. Which four teams get the Champions Cup slots? Same as last year with maybe Bolton sneaking in over Arsenal. I don't think Pompei will keep their run up.

3. What team do you think is going to make a run from the back of the table? The only I can see is Newcastle with possibly Sheffield Utd or Fulham if they can ever get healthy.

4. What top of the table team do you think will struggle in the second half? I don't think Reading can keep their run going. They will fall like Wigan did last year after their fast start.

5. Who's getting relegated? Charlton & Watford are givens with Middlesbrough the last one relegated.

Betterread
12-18-2006, 06:16 PM
1. Chelski

2. Same as it ever was:
Chelski
Man U
Liverpool
Arsenal

3. No-one breaks the top 7, though Blackburn has much better quality than they have been showing, so I think they'll move up some places.
4. Reading will fall some places.
5. Charlton, Watford and 'Boro (sadly)

M2
12-18-2006, 06:35 PM
That last relegation slot may depend on health and the transfer window. Boro looks plenty bad, but Man City, Sheffield, Blackburn and West Ham could all struggle too.

If one of those teams lose or sell off a key player it could be disastrous. Likewise, if any of those teams make a major addition it could propel them upwards. Just as an example, I think Sheffield might crumble if Phil Jagielka weren't around or that an inventive midfielder could transform the Hammers.

reds1869
12-18-2006, 10:15 PM
1. Who wins the regular season championshp? Chelsea.

2. Which four teams get the Champions Cup slots? Status quo. I think Arsenal will finish second fwiw.

3. What team do you think is going to make a run from the back of the table? Fulham has a shot, but I don't see anyone making a real move.

4. What top of the table team do you think will struggle in the second half? Not really top, but as an Arsenal fan I've got to say Spurs. :)

5. Who's getting relegated? Charlton, Watford, and Blackburn.

M2
12-19-2006, 02:10 PM
2. Which four teams get the Champions Cup slots? Status quo. I think Arsenal will finish second fwiw.

I'm thinking like timmario that Arsenal's in some trouble. I don't like their defense. They miss Ashley Cole and Sol Campbell a lot more than I think they ever expected.

WMR
12-19-2006, 04:01 PM
So Chelsea pulled a miracle from their pockets against Everton this weekend (in what probably goes down as the worst game of Tim Howard's career) and Man U. got upset by West Ham.

Bolton and Portsmouth continue to run with Arsenal and Liverpool in the battle for the other two Champions Cup slots.

At the bottom of the table, Charlton and Watford look like they're already been relegated. Newcastle and Sheffield look like they've got themselves together enough to stay in the top flight. We'll see about West Ham. Middlesbrough, currently getting beaten handily by Fulham as I type this, looks like a team swirling the bowl.

Anyway, here's a few questions as I know we've got some EPL fans on the site:

1. Who wins the regular season championshp?
2. Which four teams get the Champions Cup slots?
3. What team do you think is going to make a run from the back of the table?
4. What top of the table team do you think will struggle in the second half?
5. Who's getting relegated?

1. Chelsea
2. Chelsea, ManU, Arsenal, and READING (haha)
3. West Ham has a great talent-level
4. I hate to type it, but Reading will be hard-pressed to match their sensational first half
5. Charlton, Watford, Middlesborough

M2
12-19-2006, 04:26 PM
1. Chelsea
2. Chelsea, ManU, Arsenal, and READING (haha)
3. West Ham has a great talent-level
4. I hate to type it, but Reading will be hard-pressed to match their sensational first half
5. Charlton, Watford, Middlesborough

Just curious, if you could add one someone to Reading (someone theoretically available, not Didier Drogba) who would it be?

For instance, I think a guy like Espanyol's Ivan de la Pena could have huge impact for West Ham. In fact, Espanyol may be one of the better teams on the planet to raid with Raul Tamudo, Luis Garcia Fernandez and Daniel Jarque also on hand.

WMR
12-19-2006, 04:34 PM
Just curious, if you could add one someone to Reading (someone theoretically available, not Didier Drogba) who would it be?

For instance, I think a guy like Espanyol's Ivan de la Pena could have huge impact for West Ham. In fact, Espanyol may be one of the better teams on the planet to raid with Raul Tamudo, Luis Garcia Fernandez and Daniel Jarque also on hand.

David Trezeguet. Doubt he would come to Reading, but that's really what they desperately need: another goal-scorer. They've been forced to play Soul Hi Keon up front, but he's much more comfortable and effective out on the wing.

Too bad it didn't work out with Eddie Johnson; guess he wasn't what they were hoping for. They simply cannot rely on Doyle as their sole goal-scoring threat. A top-flight goal-scorer is what they need the worst.

WMR
12-19-2006, 04:36 PM

You sound like you're pretty familiar with the Primera? What leagues do you keep up with?

Champions League and the EPL is pretty much it for me as far as reasonably in-depth knowledge-base.

M2
12-19-2006, 04:47 PM
David Trezeguet. Doubt he would come to Reading, but that's really what they desperately need: another goal-scorer. They've been forced to play Soul Hi Keon up front, but he's much more comfortable and effective out on the wing.

Too bad it didn't work out with Eddie Johnson; guess he wasn't what they were hoping for. They simply cannot rely on Doyle as their sole goal-scoring threat. A top-flight goal-scorer is what they need the worst.

Though supposedly, after his World Cup whiff, Trezeguet's got the footballing equivalent of what happened to Donnie Moore and Mitch Williams. Don't know that I'd bring such a fragile ego into the EPL. Maybe someone like Michael Chopra at Cardiff City would do the trick.

timmario66
12-19-2006, 04:48 PM

Shawn Wright Phillips is available.:evil:

WMR
12-19-2006, 04:53 PM
Want some mid-day goosebumps?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GmkJQNLql5Y&NR

Maybe the best long-range goal I've ever seen. Watch it full-screen and wait for the replays. Amazing goal.

WMR
12-19-2006, 04:56 PM
Though supposedly, after his World Cup whiff, Trezeguet's got the footballing equivalent of what happened to Donnie Moore and Mitch Williams. Don't know that I'd bring such a fragile ego into the EPL. Maybe someone like Michael Chopra at Cardiff City would do the trick.

Not sure I'm buying that... the man can flat-out score. I don't know his psychological make-up, but anyone who competes at such a high-level almost always has an intense competitive drive. Is that one miss going to ruin the rest of his career? Might be a chance for some club to get a steal.

M2
12-19-2006, 05:26 PM
You sound like you're pretty familiar with the Primera? What leagues do you keep up with?

Champions League and the EPL is pretty much it for me as far as reasonably in-depth knowledge-base.

I try to watch a little La Liga each week. I got the taste for the sport when I was in Madrid back in the late '80s (which is why you'll often hear me espouse the brilliance of Leo Beenhaker). I read up on other leagues, but don't get to watch them that much. I'd probably watch Ligue 1 if I got a station which broadcast the games because my wife likes the sport and she speaks French.

BTW, there's a kid named Andre-Pierre Gignac at Lorient who's the bomb. Here's his hat trick against Nantes early this season:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mvpSfNXJSKE

And another goal:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iqir0Rn3EZo&mode=related&search=

And another sick shot:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dctJOEj5jlo

timmario66
12-20-2006, 04:42 PM
Scores 5 minutes after coming in as a sub in the Carling Cup to lead Chelsea to a 1-0 victory. Is anyone playing better or clutch as him right now? His goal Sunday was unbelievable.

M2
01-02-2007, 01:02 PM
The genius of Bruce Arena continues to pay dividends for U.S. soccer.

http://soccernet.espn.go.com/news/story?id=398159&cc=5901

Apparently Clint Dempsey has a deal in place to go to Fulham, where they intend to insert him right into the mix, but he may not be able to go because Arena held him out of a few national team matches last year. What it basically means is the most coveted player in the U.S. may not be able go over to England and be a starter (which would pay huge dividends for U.S. soccer) because of Arena's obsessive tinkering. Brilliant.

Meanwhile, DaMarcus Beasley might have scored the EPL's goal of the week:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=02k1PhFSb8o

westofyou
01-02-2007, 01:13 PM
The genius of Bruce Arena continues to pay dividends for U.S. soccer.

http://soccernet.espn.go.com/news/story?id=398159&cc=5901

Apparently Clint Dempsey has a deal in place to go to Fulham, where they intend to insert him right into the mix, but he may not be able to go because Arena held him out of a few national team matches last year. What it basically means is the most coveted player in the U.S. may not be able go over to England and be a starter (which would pay huge dividends for U.S. soccer) because of Arena's obsessive tinkering. Brilliant.

Beasly made a great cross yesterday morning, in fact the EPL rocked this past weekend. The Newcastle game, the Fullham match earlier in the weekend.

Good stuff.

timmario66
01-02-2007, 01:48 PM
Beasly made a great cross yesterday morning, in fact the EPL rocked this past weekend. The Newcastle game, the Fullham match earlier in the weekend.

Good stuff.

I know with my wife sick I got to watch a lot the past couple of weekends. I still get to watch them normally but no interruptions the last couple of weeks.

Jose better make a couple of defensive pickups in the transfer window or Chelsea won't be able to make up the difference.

Definitely need the three points today against Aston Villa, a team that has a goalie wearing Hammer pants. They also need revenge for the earlier 1-1 tie at the Bridge I attended.

Red Heeler
01-02-2007, 05:25 PM

OK, where was THAT DaMarcus Beasley in June?

westofyou
01-02-2007, 05:28 PM
Definitely need the three points today against Aston Villa, a team that has a goalie wearing Hammer pants. They also need revenge for the earlier 1-1 tie at the Bridge I attended.

Well they only got one, Villa was strong, real strong and they were the ones who made the the right moves late on.

Betterread
01-02-2007, 09:41 PM

Don't give up hope, yet. Dempsey's case goes before a tribunal that often finds exceptions for players that don't meet the percentage of international matches that is the work permit application.
Beasley's goal was a good one because of it was the only goal of the match, but goal of the week? Do you think it was better than Gerrard's volley (just one example) versus Bolton - watch and decide for yourself:

http://youtube.com/watch?v=dQj9j8l28kU

M2
01-03-2007, 09:42 AM
Beasley's goal was a good one because of it was the only goal of the match, but goal of the week? Do you think it was better than Gerrard's volley (just one example) versus Bolton - watch and decide for yourself:

There were a lot of good volleys last week. Cristiano Ronaldo had one. Darren Bent had a spectacular header volley. Shabani Nonda's volley of a deep overhead feed from Lucas Neill was outrageous.

What I didn't see, outside of Beasley, was a player take on the defense by himself, make his own shot and bury it. Touch is nice, but back-breaking speed is just as breathtaking.

On the Dempsey affair, I wonder if Arena hadn't done some math in order to keep him below 75%. He appeared in 9 of 13 matches, 69% of the U.S. team's contests. One more game and it would have been 77%. U.S. officials surely were aware that Dempsey's MLS contract was up after the season and that he'd been bucking to head to Europe. Makes you wonder if Arena didn't manipulate things to help create leverage to keep a high profile player in MLS.

timmario66
01-03-2007, 09:42 AM
Don't give up hope, yet. Dempsey's case goes before a tribunal that often finds exceptions for players that don't meet the percentage of international matches that is the work permit application.

I think I would go with Crouch's goal for the best goal last weekend:

http://youtube.com/watch?v=T5cdEy-Ozxw

timmario66
01-03-2007, 10:47 AM
Now it looks like the Gooch is going to join Fulham too. Did Coleman only watch the US during the World Cup? US National Team East there with Bocanegra, McBride, Dempsey, and Onewyu.

http://msn.foxsports.com/soccer/story/6331000

M2
01-03-2007, 11:17 AM
Gooch and Zat Knight, when he gets back, would give Fulham some serious beef in the middle of the defense.

Though I've got to believe someone's going to make a play for Dan ****tu at Watford. The club will be relegated, but he's clearly a top central defender.

reds1869
01-03-2007, 06:16 PM
I just might have to starting supporting Fulham if these transfers go through!

timmario66
01-04-2007, 12:07 PM
Now it looks like the Gooch is going to join Fulham too. Did Coleman only watch the US during the World Cup? US National Team East there with Bocanegra, McBride, Dempsey, and Onewyu.

http://msn.foxsports.com/soccer/story/6331000

Now it looks like talks have broken down with Gooch going to Fulham.

http://msn.foxsports.com/soccer/story/6335312

Betterread
01-11-2007, 01:08 PM
The work permit was granted, and Dempsey officially joins Fulham, 2 other americans - Bocanegra and McBride. I'll keep even closer track of this club.

http://soccernet.espn.go.com/news/story?id=399418&cc=5901

MWM
01-11-2007, 08:13 PM
Watched the LIverpool - Arsenal FA Cup this week. I'm a big fan of Liverpool and thought for a second they were going to equalize with a second goal. They played a beautiful second half. Then the genius of Thierry Henry happened. What an impressive goal by Henry to make the game out of reach. It was a pitiful display of defense on that play, but it's still a joy to watch Henry play.

jmcclain19
01-11-2007, 10:13 PM
That's quite a few Americans playing for Fulham.

Anyone know if they ever updated Craven Cottage from the dump it used to be?

I had a friend that used to live down the street from them and was a fan, and from that I played as Fulham when I bought Championship Manager 99/00 and took them to the UEFA Cup final against Fenerbache after a handful of seasons after getting them promoted from Division 1.
I lost the final. Damn Turks. Good times.

Anyway, new logo and all, that could be a team I pull for. Gotta love the Yank invasion of England.

Nugget
01-11-2007, 10:34 PM
Craven Cottage was updated either last season or the season before. Fulham played at Loftus Road for a while. I think they have two new stands at Craven Cottage and are also the home ground for Australian for their "home" internationals in Europe.

timmario66
01-12-2007, 08:28 AM
That's quite a few Americans playing for Fulham.

Anyone know if they ever updated Craven Cottage from the dump it used to be?

I had a friend that used to live down the street from them and was a fan, and from that I played as Fulham when I bought Championship Manager 99/00 and took them to the UEFA Cup final against Fenerbache after a handful of seasons after getting them promoted from Division 1.
I lost the final. Damn Turks. Good times.

Anyway, new logo and all, that could be a team I pull for. Gotta love the Yank invasion of England.

I was there at the end of September. If it's been updated, it's still nothing great.

westofyou
01-22-2007, 10:37 AM
During the insufferable first NFL playoff game I switched to the Arsenal /Man United game.

What a match.... what a beautiful game.

timmario66
01-22-2007, 11:46 AM
During the insufferable first NFL playoff game I switched to the Arsenal /Man United game.

What a match.... what a beautiful game.

Yes, it was an excellent match and a great result for this suffering Chelsea fan. Come back soon John Terry.:pray:

Bad luck for Arsenal as Van Persie broke a bone in one of his toes during the game but they will be fine with Emanuel and Theo up front to take his place.

In other news, Dempsey saw his 1st action for Fulham.

WMR
01-22-2007, 03:14 PM
Yes, it was an excellent match and a great result for this suffering Chelsea fan. Come back soon John Terry.:pray:

Bad luck for Arsenal as Van Persie broke a bone in one of his toes during the game but they will be fine with Emanuel and Theo up front to take his place.

Chelsea needs to get my man GOOCH.

OGUCHI ONYEWU. The Beast.

timmario66
01-22-2007, 03:28 PM
Chelsea needs to get my man GOOCH.

OGUCHI ONYEWU. The Beast.

I'll believe it when I see it. The way him and his agent have jerked some teams around I don't know where he will end up. He wants 1st team guarantees and I don't think he will get it when John Terry comes back. Even though I would take him over Carvalho, Jose won't.

M2
01-22-2007, 11:29 PM

The loss of Van Persie is going to hurt. He's not quite Cristiano Ronaldo, but he was taking a major star turn. Baptista's probably going to have to step up.

Fulham's interesting. Supposedly Papa Bouba Diop may be heading out of town on the heels of team captain Luis Boa Morte. I'm guessing Fulham's going to be searching for another midfielder over the next week, preferably one with an interesting name.

westofyou
02-02-2007, 03:56 PM
http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/news_story/?ID=194531&hubname=nhl

Tom Hicks, owner of the NHL's Dallas Stars and the Texas Rangers of Major League Baseball, is close to adding Liverpool of the English Premier League to his list of sports holdings.

RawOwl UK
02-04-2007, 05:28 PM
The Man Utd steamtrain continues !!!! Pretty pleased that Vidic got the 2nd goal as i've just got him for my works fantasy team :)

Gamst Pederson has been my player of the weekend. Last minute free kick to beat the pigs :) fantastic.

Red Heeler
02-04-2007, 09:06 PM
The Man Utd steamtrain continues !!!! Pretty pleased that Vidic got the 2nd goal as i've just got him for my works fantasy team :)

Gamst Pederson has been my player of the weekend. Last minute free kick to beat the pigs :) fantastic.

Pederson has the look of a young Beckham, both in style and game. I look for a BIG club to come gunning for him soon.

Betterread
02-04-2007, 09:50 PM
Pederson has the look of a young Beckham, both in style and game. I look for a BIG club to come gunning for him soon.
Except that he plays on the left, and Becks is a right winger. It is a pretty safe prediction that he will be picked up by a one of the big four (Man U put in an unsuccesful bid when he signed with Rovers). He strikes the the ball well (for the Premiership) and he had the goal of the month for January off a free kick (his form right now is really high) but make no mistake that his two-goal game came with David Dunn's return - he and Tugay free up space for Gamst and Brett Emerton. You have to admire Blackburn's current form.

M2
02-04-2007, 10:31 PM
I'm really liking the way Blackburn's playing of late and Pederson in particular has been a terror. He and Mikel Arteta at Everton are possibly the two best midfielders not on one of the big four.

Reading also continues to roll with Leroy Lita donning Kevin Doyle's Superman cape.

RawOwl UK
02-05-2007, 01:18 PM
Steve Sidwell is the man for me at Reading. He is that engine required in midfield. Gets up and down the pitch well, links play & good vision. The only thing he hasn't done this season is pop in the goals.

Their style of play is first class. It shows that it's possible to make an impact in the Premiership without spending fortunes. If anyone comes in for Steve Coppell I think he would reject the move. He doesn't like the spotlight on him, this was apparent at his brief stint at Man City.

A bad weekend for my team Sheffield Wedneday, we lost 3-1 at home to Preston. Keep an eye out for David Nugent, he showed premiership class again this weekend. Our defenders could not cope with his pace & trickery.

M2
02-05-2007, 01:22 PM
RawOWL, any thoughts on whether Phil Jagielka might be leaving Sheffield? I know it's not Sheffield Wednesday, but I figure you know Jagielka's game pretty well. Every time I hear Man U. has an interest in Owen Hargreaves, I think to myself that Jagielka brings just as much steel to the midfield and probably could be had for a lesser price.

RawOwl UK
02-05-2007, 01:43 PM
I dont think Jagielka has done as well as expected. For me he doesn't have enough quality on the ball to play for a big club, he may do well at a team like Villa. One of his problems is that he is too versitile !!!

Sheff Utd's best midfielder for me & a lot of Blades I know is Stephen Quinn. He is going to be a star. Utd have suprised me this season, much as I hate Neil Warnock he gets the best out of players who dont have the skill or quality to be with a big club. His moaning & touchline antics still wind me up though :(

westofyou
02-06-2007, 02:33 PM
FYI - Brazil plays Portugal in a friendly in 25 minutes on Fox Soccer Channel - Live

M2
05-06-2007, 05:25 PM
So Man U. clinches the league with today's 1-1 tie between Chelsea and Arsenal, though Chelsea deserve a ton of praise for the 25 minutes of the game where, a man down, they put together a blistering attack. Michael Essien had a brilliant game. He was everywhere. Owned the midfield in the first half, went to the backline when the team had a central defender sent off and thwarted a number of Arsenal chances, scored the equalizer, sprinted into the attack constantly and sprinted back to stop to clamp down on the counters.

WMR
05-06-2007, 05:47 PM
Essien's performance today was maybe the best game I've seen a single player have in a game ever. Regardless, it's up there. Wow.

M2
05-06-2007, 06:25 PM
Essien's performance today was maybe the best game I've seen a single player have in a game ever. Regardless, it's up there. Wow.

I was thinking the exact same thing.

WMR
05-06-2007, 06:34 PM
I was thinking the exact same thing.

The man really did do it all.

Operating at an unbelievably high level from one six yard box to the other?!?!

I'd love to know how many miles he ran that game.

My Lord!!

Scoring that goal?

That's the measure of a truly magical type performance: Who else can you name could even be CAPABLE of playing such offense AND defense? Even the announcer was running out of platitudes for him!

WMR
11-03-2007, 11:14 AM
Anyone watching Newcastle v. Portsmouth?!?!?

HOLY JEEZ: What about that first goal by Pamarot! He was literally at least 30-35 yards out from goal...

3 goals in the first 11 minutes.

INSANE.

God I love the EPL. :D

WMR
11-03-2007, 11:19 AM
And Newcastle pulls one back in the 17th!

RawOwl UK
11-04-2007, 08:27 AM
How good are Portsmouth by the way. Amazing how Rednapp gets the deals done for these players.

M2
11-06-2007, 12:15 PM
Much as I'd like to get into a discussion about Portsmouth, the 2007-8 EPL thread is over here.

http://www.redszone.com/forums/showthread.php?t=61380