PDA

View Full Version : Bats & Reds Extend Affiliation/Coaching staff remains intact

swen23
12-19-2006, 10:07 AM
http://www.minorleaguebaseball.com/app/news/article.jsp?ymd=20061219&content_id=149322&vkey=pr_t416&fext=.jsp&sid=t416

Reds Extend Affiliation with Bats through 2010 season
Coaching staff remains intact for 2007

Louisville, KY - The Louisville Bats have extended their Player Development Contract (PDC) with the Cincinnati Reds through 2010. This extends the previous agreement which was set to expire following the 2008 baseball season. Louisville will also return Rick Sweet and his entire Bats coaching staff for the 2007 season.

"We are very pleased about the extension of our affiliation with Louisville. Our relationship with the Bats organization has been outstanding and we look forward to having them as an integral part of the Reds family for years to come," said Reds Assistant Director of Player Development Grant Griesser. "We are also excited about returning a field staff with as much experience and knowledge as this one has. Rick Sweet does a great job not only managing games, but also handling veteran Triple-A players as well as young up and coming prospects."

The 2007 season will mark the Bats eighth season as the Triple-A affiliate of the Cincinnati Reds, as well as the eighth season of play at Louisville Slugger Field. Louisville Slugger Field will celebrate its five millionth fan through the gates during the 2007 season and will host the Meijer Triple-A All-Star Game in 2008.

"We have a tremendous relationship with the Reds and hope to be their Triple-A affiliate for many years to come," added Bats President Gary Ulmer.

Sweet, 54, is 141-146 in two seasons as the Bats skipper and is in fifth place on Louisville's career managerial list. Following a nine-year playing career (1975-83) as a catcher, including three seasons in the Majors with San Diego, New York-NL and Seattle, Sweet began managing in 1987 and owns a career mark of 1,190-1,201 in 18 seasons.

Adrian "Smokey" Garrett returns for his fifth consecutive season as Louisville's hitting coach. Garrett played 19 years of professional baseball (1961-79), including parts of eight seasons in the Majors with Atlanta, Chicago-NL, Oakland and California.

Former Redbird Ted Power returns for his second season as Louisville's pitching coach. He began the 2006 season as the Reds pitching rehabilitation coordinator, but took over for Mario Soto as Bats pitching coach last May. Power enjoyed a 13-year Major League career, including five seasons (1983-87) with Cincinnati.

Louisville native Jay Sorg will return for his third season as the team's first base coach to round out Sweet's coaching staff. Chris Lapole returns as head trainer for his third season in Louisville and ninth in the Reds organization. Gabriel Moreno is the only newcomer as he joins the Bats staff as strength and conditioning coach for 2007.

Louisville will begin the 2007 campaign on Thursday, April 5 against the defending International League champion Toledo Mud Hens at 7:05 p.m. at Louisville Slugger Field. Season tickets are available now by calling the Bats office at (502) 212-2287 or visiting www.batsbaseball.com on the web.

Edd Roush
12-19-2006, 10:34 AM
Looks like the Reds aren't looking to move to Columbus. I guess they figure they would rather monopolize the Kentucky market than try to win back some fans in Columbus. I'm not against that action, but I think it would be cool if the Reds were to revert back into the most popular baseball team in Ohio.

westofyou
12-19-2006, 10:52 AM
Looks like the Reds aren't looking to move to Columbus. I guess they figure they would rather monopolize the Kentucky market than try to win back some fans in Columbus. I'm not against that action, but I think it would be cool if the Reds were to revert back into the most popular baseball team in Ohio.

Reds haven't dealt with Columbus since they owned and sold it in the 30's. They prefer to squeeze the fans from elsewhere.

The Nationals tied up the Columbus franchise a few weeks ago.

macro
12-19-2006, 10:54 AM
As a Kentuckian, I really consider this great news. It makes Bats games more interesting and helps to keep this Reds Country. It was frustrating in the 80s and 90s to have so many Cardinals fans around (nothing against Cardinals fans, BTW), and the local news focused on the Cardinals rather than the Reds. On the other hand, I feel your pain, Edd.

Heath
12-19-2006, 10:58 AM

Yeah, but it was a 2-yr deal that corresponds a new ballpark opening. The Clippers want to deal with a "local" team (Indians or Reds).

I'm personally disappointed. I think Columbus would be an excellent choice as a AAA team. (I know Joseph, start sending me the hate mail :D )

It's all an AAA domino. Should be interesting in 2009.

UKFlounder
12-19-2006, 11:44 AM

Let the big-league team win enough games, and popularity won't depend on where the AAA franchise is; let the big-league team lose enough games and it likewise won't matter where the AAA team is.

I admit I've always lived closed to Cincy & not near a AAA team so perhaps I'm oversimplifying things and/or underestimate the atraction of a minor league team, but it seems to me that the Reds W/L record will attract more fans than the location of a minor league team

Edd Roush
12-19-2006, 11:59 AM
Reds haven't dealt with Columbus since they owned and sold it in the 30's. They prefer to squeeze the fans from elsewhere.

That's what I was figuring. I know the Reds hadn't dealt with Columbus in particular for a long time, but with Yankees moving out, I figured that the Reds could make a run for the Columbus franchise in '08. I'm sure the Columbus people would rather have the Reds than the Nationals being that there are more Reds fans in Columbus than Nationals fans (I would sure hope so at least).

However, I see the merit in dominating another market. Furthermore, I also believe that if the big team starts playing well than having fans in Columbus won't be a problem. But having the AAA affiliate in Columbus would allow for the Reds to have another bond with the area. I do believe it is also good to have control of the Kentucky market though. I would sure hope that the Reds' business people did their homework and saw that the potential consumer base in KY would be better than the additional fans we could gain in moving to Columbus.

westofyou
12-19-2006, 12:21 PM
But having the AAA affiliate in Columbus would allow for the Reds to have another bond with the area.

Mostly because of the proximity of the parent team. San Diego is the Portland Beavers parent club, I forget that about 3-4 times a year due to the distance and the inability to connect many of the fringe roster types on the Padres.

Heath
12-19-2006, 12:24 PM
Mostly because of the proximity of the parent team. San Diego is the Portland Beavers parent club, I forget that about 3-4 times a year due to the distance and the inability to connect many of the fringe roster types on the Padres.

Beavers and Padres just don't seem to "mix" ....

:D

Yachtzee
12-19-2006, 12:28 PM
If I were the Reds, I would look at the relevant population numbers and determine where I wanted to strengthen my ties accordingly. Nothing against Louisville, but Columbus is the biggest city in the state by far and growing. It would be very hard for me to pass up that opportunity if I were the owner of the team.

Edd Roush
12-19-2006, 12:34 PM

So due to the close proximity of Cincinnati and Columbus wouldn't it make sense to have an affiliate in Columbus? And as Yachtzee has just stated, Columbus is a more populated area. Furthermore, the Reds already do "Columbus days" where people from Columbus get discounted tickets. I am not overly disappointed with the Reds having an affiliate in Louisville. Don't get me wrong Louisville is an inherently good baseball town due to the Louisville Slugger museum but having an affiliate in Columbus wouldn't be bad either. I think the Reds could do a much better of making an attachment between Columbus and Cincinnati than San Diego has done with Portland.

Rex Argos
12-19-2006, 12:40 PM
I grew up in Louisville, so I consider this excellent news. My father-in-law has been an usher for the Bats for the past three seasons, so I get great seats when I'm in town.

It's true that Columbus is bigger than Louisville, but Louisville has about 1.2 million in the metro area--so it's not exactly Walton's Mountain.

dabvu2498
12-19-2006, 12:42 PM
I grew up in Louisville, so I consider this excellent news. My father-in-law has been an usher for the Bats for the past three seasons, so I get great seats when I'm in town.

It's true that Columbus is bigger than Louisville, but Louisville has about 1.2 million in the metro area--so it's not exactly Walton's Mountain.

The Bats are also the only pro sports team in town.

Rex Argos
12-19-2006, 12:46 PM
Some might argue that UL Basketball is a pro team!;)

westofyou
12-19-2006, 12:48 PM
So due to the close proximity of Cincinnati and Columbus wouldn't it make sense to have an affiliate in Columbus? And as Yachtzee has just stated, Columbus is a more populated area. Furthermore, the Reds already do "Columbus days" where people from Columbus get discounted tickets. I am not overly disappointed with the Reds having an affiliate in Louisville. Don't get me wrong Louisville is an inherently good baseball town due to the Louisville Slugger museum but having an affiliate in Columbus wouldn't be bad either. I think the Reds could do a much better of making an attachment between Columbus and Cincinnati than San Diego has done with Portland.

I think that the market south extends further and has less competition, in Columbus you have the Pirates/Indians/OSU/MSL/NHL/NBA all sorts of competing dollars. By entrenching themselves in Louisville (or in other cases Nashville and Indy) that extends the Reds market a bit without bumping directly into the path of another MLB team. My take is that the Reds want to attack the markets that they know they have a better chance of controlling, feeling that certain areas will tag along. One has to admit that Marge let the Indians take the mid state fence sitters in the 90's.

Edd Roush
12-19-2006, 01:21 PM
I think that the market south extends further and has less competition, in Columbus you have the Pirates/Indians/OSU/MSL/NHL/NBA all sorts of competing dollars. By entrenching themselves in Louisville (or in other cases Nashville and Indy) that extends the Reds market a bit without bumping directly into the path of another MLB team. My take is that the Reds want to attack the markets that they know they have a better chance of controlling, feeling that certain areas will tag along. One has to admit that Marge let the Indians take the mid state fence sitters in the 90's.

On second thought, I think it is probably good to entrench ourselves in Louisville. Louisville is the largest city in Kentucky and is also a good baseball destination. It also helps connect Chattanooga to the Reds easier. With the Bats and Lookouts, the Reds have a pretty good influence in Kentucky and Tennessee.

That being said, I wish the Reds would have some success, not only for obvious reasons but also so that the Reds can become Ohio's team. I guess from a marketing standpoint, it's smarter to get fans in the south rather than having to compete with the ones in Columbus.

Heath
12-19-2006, 02:57 PM
On second thought, I think it is probably good to entrench ourselves in Louisville. Louisville is the largest city in Kentucky and is also a good baseball destination. It also helps connect Chattanooga to the Reds easier. With the Bats and Lookouts, the Reds have a pretty good influence in Kentucky and Tennessee.

That being said, I wish the Reds would have some success, not only for obvious reasons but also so that the Reds can become Ohio's team. I guess from a marketing standpoint, it's smarter to get fans in the south rather than having to compete with the ones in Columbus.

Talking to woy can change your mind on a lot of things.....

:D

I still like the AAA in Columbus....but it's selfish, rather than practical.

Heath
12-19-2006, 03:05 PM
The Bats are also the only pro sports team in town.

The NBA has a fascination with Louisville. It was the runner-up to Oklahoma City in landing the temporary home of the Hornets. Everytime the NBA expands, Louisville gets mentioned.

westofyou
12-19-2006, 03:16 PM
The NBA has a fascination with Louisville. It was the runner-up to Oklahoma City in landing the temporary home of the Hornets. Everytime the NBA expands, Louisville gets mentioned.

Wonder why?

http://www.remembertheaba.com/TributeMaterial/LadnerPoster.jpg

Heath
12-19-2006, 03:54 PM
Wonder why?

http://www.remembertheaba.com/TributeMaterial/LadnerPoster.jpg

I was more of a Rick Barry guy myself........

westofyou
12-19-2006, 04:07 PM
I was more of a Rick Barry guy myself........

I met Jon? when he was a punk brat kid.

Rex Argos
12-19-2006, 04:07 PM
Wendell Ladner? What, no Louie Dampier cheesecake shots?

Yachtzee
12-19-2006, 05:41 PM
I think you really have to look at demographic trends in relation to geography before deciding where to focus your marketing. Which cities are growing and which cities are declining? I've never been to Louisville, so I don't know if it's a growing city or a declining city. Columbus appears to be the Borg, assimilitating so much farmland to be turned into corporate campuses and housing developments, and has no natural boundaries to limit its growth. In the next 10-15 years you may see a lot more of that growth along I-71. Reaching out to Columbus may make more sense, even if you experience more competition.

I don't know, but it seems like if Cleveland moves its AAA team into Columbus, it might really hurt Cincinnati's ticket sales more than someone else having the AAA team in Louisville. Of course the same thing could be said for Cleveland. Maybe it's best if they just keep it neutral territory, but if I'm Cleveland, I'm licking my chops over that AAA franchise in Columbus.

macro
12-20-2006, 01:09 PM
Power enjoyed a 13-year Major League career, including five seasons (1983-87) with Cincinnati.

Off the main point of the thread, but Power pitched for the Reds in 1991, as well.

Remember his starting Game 2 (?) of the 1990 NLCS for the Pirates against the Reds?