PDA

View Full Version : Would this make any sense?

MartyFan
12-20-2006, 02:08 AM
Looking at the D-Rays...I notice that they just signed an Asian IF to play 3B. What does that mean for Upton?

I know he wouldn't come in and play 3B with EE there but could he come in and platoon 1B with Hatte? He's a RH bat, right? Pretty cheap...lots of power..

Also read this on the Rays Page at MLB.com regarding Josh Hamilton...

Why did the Rays go through so much to get former first-round draft pick Josh Hamilton back on track, then not protect him by putting him on the 40-man roster? And one day after the Rule 5 Draft, they release Travis Harper? Couldn't he have been released first so that Hamilton could be protected? I know that Hamilton will be offered back if he doesn't stay on Cincinnati's roster the for entire 2007 season, but he has talent.
-- Willem W., Manila, Philippines

I see both sides on this one. Had I been an opposing general manager, I would have risked the relatively small sum of money it takes to claim somebody in the Rule 5 Draft in order to take a good look at Hamilton. Yes, Hamilton has a lot of negative baggage, but his talent is off the charts. Not only can he hit, he has an arm capable of delivering Major League fastballs. Who knows? He might someday be a pitcher.

However, the Reds must keep Hamilton on their Major League roster for the entire 2007 season. Any competitive team is going to have a problem using a spot on its 25-man roster in order to keep a prospect. I have no doubt that Hamilton has Major League talent -- I just don't see him staying on a Major League roster for an entire season in 2007. Had he returned to the Rays, he would have begun the season at Class A. And, remember, he's coming off knee surgery as well. The Rays believe that he will be returned.

Jpup
12-20-2006, 04:52 AM
From what I understand, Upton is going to the OF. That's part of the reason that Baldelli is available.

REDblooded
12-20-2006, 09:19 AM
si senor. you are correct.