PDA

View Full Version : Trade Idea

Krusty
12-23-2006, 09:56 PM
Thought I would throw this out to chew on over Christmas:

Ryan Freel to the San Diego Padres for RHP Scott Linebrink.

Reds get a potential closer in Linebrink, who has been a setup man to closer Trevor Hoffman for several years. And with the emergence of RHP Cla Meredith, the Padres could replace Linebrink with Meredith. With the departure of Dave Roberts, the Padres don't have a leadoff hitter.

Losing Freel means the Reds would have to go with Denorfia as an everyday player unless the Reds sign a veteran like Steve Finley to back Denorfia in center while providing a lefthanded bat to come off the bench in late innings.

Opinions?

pedro
12-23-2006, 10:03 PM
I think Freel is the most logical guy to trade but I would rather the Reds packaged him with some minor league player(s) and went after a starting picther.

Dracodave
12-23-2006, 10:04 PM
How about Freel and Ceuto for Meredith and Hensley?

Hensleys numbers as a starter were impressive

11 10 3.56 29 29 1 1 0 0 177.0 158 73 70 15 3 72 112
GO/FO ratio was 276 157 1.93

He'd make a nice number three for us.

BEETTLEBUG
12-24-2006, 12:17 AM
OK DRACODAVE that looks great but Padres would say NO.

Shaggy Sanchez
12-24-2006, 03:05 AM
A. Considering all of the rumored deals the Padres turned down for Linebrink last year including a straight up deal for Kearns, why would they trade him now for Freel?

B. Why do the Reds need to trade for a closer or potential closer at this point. The offense is bad and the starting pitching goes 2 deep. This team isn't close to competing so why waste someone like Freel who could possibly be packaged to get a starter for a potential closer who won't have many chances to save games anyway.

Z-Fly
12-24-2006, 03:18 AM
A. Considering all of the rumored deals the Padres turned down for Linebrink last year including a straight up deal for Kearns, why would they trade him now for Freel?

B. Why do the Reds need to trade for a closer or potential closer at this point. The offense is bad and the starting pitching goes 2 deep. This team isn't close to competing so why waste someone like Freel who could possibly be packaged to get a starter for a potential closer who won't have many chances to save games anyway.

I agree that the Fathers would reject the trade. Trevor isn't a spring chicken by any means. Linebrink could slide right into the closers role when Trev retires.

I truely believe that the reds would be a contender if they had a quality closer and a good number three starter. They would suprise the most of us. I just don't think we have the goods to get either of those two. None to less both of them.

mth123
12-24-2006, 04:00 AM
I think Freel is the most logical guy to trade but I would rather the Reds packaged him with some minor league player(s) and went after a starting picther.

Ding, Ding, Ding. As I have said a number of times, a Freel and Wood combo is the basis for getting the starter this team needs. Then trade Lohse for a prospect and to make payroll room for the guy acquired.

Ltlabner
12-24-2006, 08:35 AM
Ding, Ding, Ding. As I have said a number of times, a Freel and Wood combo is the basis for getting the starter this team needs. Then trade Lohse for a prospect and to make payroll room for the guy acquired.

Or better yet, do the trade as suggested and just bump up payroll to absorb the contract.

It's so much fun to play with other people's money.

Krusty
12-24-2006, 09:09 AM
I think the Reds would spend the money on the right player. But who is the right player? The ones who have mediocre careers that are getting anywhere between 8 to 10 million a season? Or is the right guy like Soriano and Zito where they will command 15-20 million a season for five or six seasons?

I think Krivsky showed us the best deals is the trade route. Why pay someone like Perez, Hillenbrand, Wilson and Loretta 4+ million for at least two or three seasons when you can get the same production by trading for a Conine for two million for one year? All it cost you was two marginal prospects.

Now the Reds have a problem with the 40-man roster because it's full. Hopefully Brendan Harris clears waivers and the Reds can re-sign him to a minor league deal. Signing another free agent will complicate matters also with the 40-man roster.

But if you want to get more bang for your buck, I think you're better off going the trade route then overpay for mediocre talent this offseason.

jojo
12-24-2006, 09:36 AM
IMHO Freel wouldn't make an attractive centerpiece in a trade for an established starter for any team in the majors... he's a guy with a unique skill set that makes him great roster glue.... thats useful but not worth 170-200 innings... Basically, I just don't see controlling Freel for one year as having tremendous trade value period.

Freel is probably more legitimately trade bait for a high risk/high reward arm like Angel Guzman...

mth123
12-24-2006, 10:10 AM
IMHO Freel wouldn't make an attractive centerpiece in a trade for an established starter for any team in the majors... he's a guy with a unique skill set that makes him great roster glue.... thats useful but not worth 170-200 innings... Basically, I just don't see controlling Freel for one year as having tremendous trade value period.

Freel is probably more legitimately trade bait for a high risk/high reward arm like Angel Guzman...

I agree. The Cubs would be a good target and I wouldn't need a high dollar guy. I personally like Marmol more than Guzman but something along those lines. If there is a way to get Mike Wuertz while we're at it that would solve a couple problems.

I think a cheap L/O hitter with speed, OBP and ability to play CF is in demand. The unreal money paid to Matthews JR and Juan Pierre says so. Freel is better than either of them for that role. Especially if a team is looking to dump a contract like the White Sox and Rockies were. But I'd be happy with a Marmol, Guzman, Correia, Ledezma or some one of that ilk. Cubs, Braves and Marlins look like the most likely trade partners in a Freel deal IMO.

Krusty
12-24-2006, 10:26 AM
Leadoff hitters are hard to come by.

Highlifeman21
12-24-2006, 12:54 PM
Thought I would throw this out to chew on over Christmas:

Ryan Freel to the San Diego Padres for RHP Scott Linebrink.

Reds get a potential closer in Linebrink, who has been a setup man to closer Trevor Hoffman for several years. And with the emergence of RHP Cla Meredith, the Padres could replace Linebrink with Meredith. With the departure of Dave Roberts, the Padres don't have a leadoff hitter.

Losing Freel means the Reds would have to go with Denorfia as an everyday player unless the Reds sign a veteran like Steve Finley to back Denorfia in center while providing a lefthanded bat to come off the bench in late innings.

Opinions?

I think we can get more in a trade involving Freel, but I wouldn't be opposed to Freel for Linebrink as the principles of the deal.

I really feel that Freel is the odd man out for the Reds in 2007, and that Denorfia is an everyday player. Josh Hamilton will make the roster out of ST, so that really means Freel will get less playing time. He's our excess right now. Trade him for some pitching.

One of your more solid proposals, Krusty.

Dracodave
12-24-2006, 01:02 PM
I think we can get more in a trade involving Freel, but I wouldn't be opposed to Freel for Linebrink as the principles of the deal.

I really feel that Freel is the odd man out for the Reds in 2007, and that Denorfia is an everyday player. Josh Hamilton will make the roster out of ST, so that really means Freel will get less playing time. He's our excess right now. Trade him for some pitching.

One of your more solid proposals, Krusty.

Chicago White Sox say "We need a lead off hitter and centerfielder!"

They have young pitching..

Think we can make a deal?

reds44
12-24-2006, 01:11 PM
No
More
Relief
Pitchers

Mario-Rijo
12-25-2006, 03:18 PM
Votto, Calvin Medlock and Belisle for Rocco Baldelli? Denorfia and Lohse for Linebrink? Heck I could do this all day and come up with some interesting ideas but the truth is we really don't know enough about what teams are looking for. Therefore who knows what is realistic.

But if the Fryars offered me that deal (Freel for Linebrink) I would do it in a heartbeat. Although we would have to do some serious searching for that lead-off man.

Red Leader
12-26-2006, 01:47 PM
It's been rumored that the Padres are going to use Scott Linebrink as their bait to acquire Randy Johnson.

One thing seems certain. Scott Linebrink will not be a Padre next year. Geez, they've been rumored to be shopping that guy to everyone this off season.

flyer85
12-26-2006, 02:02 PM
rather than trade for Linebrink I would rather find the next one like the Pads did with him.