PDA

View Full Version : Brewers get Suppan

Tom Servo
12-24-2006, 04:21 PM
from rotoworld:

The Brewers and free agent Jeff Suppan have agreed to a four-year, $42 million contract, the Milwaukee Journal Sentinel reports.

Agent Scott Leventhal confirmed the deal, which includes an option for a fifth year. "The city was right, the team was right and the deal was right," he said. "It worked for 'Soup' and (wife) Dana on all three levels." Since he made the right choice to stay in the NL, Suppan figures to remain a solid pitcher. Still, there's little chance of him justifying this kind of salary. His peripherals seem to get a little weaker every year, and he finished last year with a 1.45 WHIP.

As I said in another thread, they can have him.

Jpup
12-24-2006, 04:24 PM
:laugh: Although he's not terrible, he isn't worth anything close to that. Didn't they learn anything from the likes of Eric Milton. DanO must have had a hand in this deal.

Ltlabner
12-24-2006, 04:40 PM
Y.U.C.K.

4 years at 10.5 mill per year. And a 5th year option. Nasty.

For those of you who are dieing to get DanO back, please look at this as exibit A as to why that would be a bad, bad idea.

Caveat Emperor
12-24-2006, 04:49 PM
$10 million per for a pitcher that struggles to strike batters out and relies on his defense for the majority of his outs?

What is it they say about fools and their money?

Falls City Beer
12-24-2006, 04:51 PM
Not a great deal, but the Brewers are definitely better for the deal in the short term. I imagine the Brewers will be up there in the Central standings.

Dracodave
12-24-2006, 05:08 PM
Not a great deal, but the Brewers are definitely better for the deal in the short term. I imagine the Brewers will be up there in the Central standings.

The Brewers have a nice rotation going on. :bang:

Ben Sheets
Chris Capuano
Dave Bush
Jeff Suppan
Claudio Vargas

They might be the next team to really worry about

Heath
12-24-2006, 05:11 PM
Jeff Suppan = Eric Milton of the Brewers.

Goodness sakes. Good for them.

Falls City Beer
12-24-2006, 05:11 PM
Added to Capauno and Sheets. The Brewers have a nice rotation going on. :bang:

They might be the next team to really worry about

Though they made a pretty egregious error by surrendering Davis for the crap they got in return.

That deal was way stupider than picking up Suppan.

One thing's for certain, though, and that's the Brewers are head and shoulders better than the Reds at this point.

marcshoe
12-24-2006, 05:13 PM
I am happy that the Reds did not sign Suppan or a similar pitcher to this type of contract. I am not happy, however, that they have done nothing to improve either their starting pitching or their offense (which isn't bad as it stands, but could have been improved). I may simply be impatient, but we're about halfway between the World Series and Spring Training now. It's Christmas Eve, and there have been few signs of hope.

Dracodave
12-24-2006, 05:13 PM
Though they made a pretty egregious error by surrendering Davis for the crap they got in return.

That deal was way stupider than picking up Suppan.

Johnny E might be the best pick up for them though, a decent younger catcher. Miller got ran over by Dunn, and I had a good laugh at that.

TOBTTReds
12-24-2006, 05:52 PM
Jeff Suppan = Eric Milton of the Brewers.

Well, atleast Suppan isn't a fly ball pitcher who was setting league marks for HR's, then signed at a hitters park.

Dracodave
12-24-2006, 06:04 PM
Well, atleast Suppan isn't a fly ball pitcher who was setting league marks for HR's, then signed at a hitters park.

Plus he has a decent fielding team behind him.

JJ Hardy at Short. Weeks at Second. Hall at third. Estrada at Catcher. Fielder at First.

lollipopcurve
12-24-2006, 08:29 PM
JJ Hardy at Short. Weeks at Second. Hall at third. Estrada at Catcher. Fielder at First.

That is not a strong defensive infield.

Kc61
12-24-2006, 08:37 PM
This is a far better deal than the Milton signing. When Milton was signed he had just completed a very poor second half with the Phillies. As for Suppan, I kind of remember him succeeding in post-season play last year.

I applaud the Brewers for trying to have a good pitcher to throw out there every night. They overpaid a little, but it was probably necessary to get him.

If I was a Brewers fan I would be happy about this. Instead. . . .

pedro
12-24-2006, 08:47 PM
Unlike the Milton deal, this won't necessarily be a bad contract next year, but I doubt it's a good value over the entire term of the contract. If Suppan does well next year they'd be best served to flip him before 2008 IMO.

RedFanAlways1966
12-24-2006, 09:22 PM
I imagine the Brewers will be up there in the Central standings.

One thing's for certain, though, and that's the Brewers are head and shoulders better than the Reds at this point.

Flashback (sentence 1)... I remember all the experts saying the same thing one year ago. Remember that mighty team from Milwaukee that finally had a .500 record in 2005 and were expected to challenge in the NL Central? All the experts were saying it.

Flashback (sentence 2)... the same experts were saying this too one year ago. Well perhaps not exactly... but they were talking about how good that team from Milwaukee was going to be in 2006 and they had the REDS as the 28th or 29th team in all of MLB.

The truth from 2006... the REDS had the 7th best record in the NL and the team from Milwaukee had the 13th best record in the NL. Goes to show that the future is a hard thing to predict.

TOBTTReds
12-24-2006, 11:03 PM
Flashback (sentence 1)... I remember all the experts saying the same thing one year ago. Remember that mighty team from Milwaukee that finally had a .500 record in 2005 and were expected to challenge in the NL Central? All the experts were saying it.

Flashback (sentence 2)... the same experts were saying this too one year ago. Well perhaps not exactly... but they were talking about how good that team from Milwaukee was going to be in 2006 and they had the REDS as the 28th or 29th team in all of MLB.

The truth from 2006... the REDS had the 7th best record in the NL and the team from Milwaukee had the 13th best record in the NL. Goes to show that the future is a hard thing to predict.

I'm convinced there are no experts. Those people are paid to write in mags, or talk on TV. I think we (redszone) are closer to being experts than many that are so called that on TV.

Bigredfan#1
12-24-2006, 11:49 PM
is worth even half the money he is getting. If the Reds were the mystery team we ought to send a big thank you note to the Brewers. If the Reds were the mystery team then maybe we spend our money more wisely on someone else that could help us.

redsfan4445
12-24-2006, 11:55 PM
this is the problem i see with these outrageous contracts.. they will not be going down each year. all those players that are waiting in the wings for their chance at free agency, are salivating. So tell me?? how in the world will the Reds compete without overspending?? Matthews Jr makes 11 milliion a year and thats 1 million less than JR!!!! NOWAY he deserves that. Milton's 8 million looks way less now!!! and you think Harang is going to ask for less when its his turn??? And Dunn will get alot of money too when its his turn..

Hard to think positive about the Reds chances at competing in the future..:(

Falls City Beer
12-25-2006, 09:30 AM
I'm convinced there are no experts. Those people are paid to write in mags, or talk on TV. I think we (redszone) are closer to being experts than many that are so called that on TV.

I agree completely.

westofyou
12-25-2006, 11:33 AM
http://www.stltoday.com/stltoday/sports/stories.nsf/cardinals/story/881C39F585486A5E8625724E0015C55F?OpenDocument

The Cardinals have narrowed their free-agent focus to re-signing lefty Mark Mulder and righthander Jeff Weaver to fill out a starting rotation with uncertain spots. They remain interested in Jeff Suppan should his asking price re-enter their tax bracket, an unlikely event.

(Guess that didn't happen.)

As a sketch of the starting rotation looks right now, the Cardinals follow ace Chris Carpenter with four pitchers who combined had 26 starts in the majors last season and 1292/3 innings total as starters, nearly 100 less than Carpenter had alone. The three pitchers penciled in after Carpenter and newly signed Kip Wells — Anthony Reyes, Adam Wainwright and to-be-converted Braden Looper — have a combined 91 2/3 career innings as starters in the major leagues.

All belong to Reyes.

Meanwhile in St Louis Walt speaks.

With the exception of a few familiar faces, the Cardinals do not see a free agent worth pursuing at current prices, and the club is content to report to Jupiter, Fla., with the roster it has today, general manager Walt Jocketty says.

Jocketty said that absent adding an unsigned Cardinals' free agent, he would prefer to tinker with the team after spring starts and a secondary market develops than to anxiously spend now.

"I've said it before and my thoughts have not changed — I'm completely satisfied if we go to spring training with the team we have," Jocketty said. "I know the readers don't want to see that, the fans don't want to hear that. But the guys who are out there and available aren't any better than what we already have, based on all the things you have to consider."

"If we don't do something, we take the money we have left and wait until during the season to when we can add another pitcher or another player who isn't out there right now," Jocketty said. "There just isn't much available. So, why use our bullets now? Then we'd get to spring training or the trade deadline and wish we hadn't spent the money.

"We have a very good everyday club right now. Let's get to spring training and see what else we need."

In a weak market the free agent signings still set the market by creating a salary scale, generating envy, creating unrealistic projections and feeding media buzz. But once the players start showing up the market starts moving more, it shakes off an off season of bottom moves and top end moves, it becomes a much bigger animal to deal with, with more variables and more choices. A "Moneyball" move would be making sure that you have a grasp on that reality and the ability to find talent and take on salary once the market wakes up.

Looks like Walt is taking that route.

RollyInRaleigh
12-25-2006, 12:01 PM
And it seems a wise route to take with his situation.

Falls City Beer
12-25-2006, 12:21 PM
If Walt thinks teams are going to all of a sudden wake up in the spring and want to trade away starting pitching talent, he's nuts. He might pick up some fringy guys, but most of the starting talent is either signed or traded for. Most everything of value will stay where it is till the deadline.

RollyInRaleigh
12-25-2006, 12:28 PM
He did mention, "Trade deadline" when speaking about his bullets.

Falls City Beer
12-25-2006, 12:35 PM
He did mention, "Trade deadline" when speaking about his bullets.

The Cards and Walt Jocketty are in for a very rude awakening if they really don't do anything before the start of the season. But somehow, they'll do something, I feel quite certain.

RollyInRaleigh
12-25-2006, 12:36 PM
They have a knack for doing that.