PDA

View Full Version : Jets Beat Miami; Bengals All But Eliminated From Playoffs

macro
12-25-2006, 11:47 PM
Sunday's Bengals-Steelers game will be for bragging rights only. The Jets have just won in Miami and have secured the final AFC playoff spot. Their win Sunday at home against the Raiders is a given. Congratulations to the Bengals, who frittered away what could have been a good season, but instead they'll be sitting at home for the playoffs for the third time in Marvin's four seasons. I don't know about the rest of you, but 8-8 is gettin' kinda old.

Doc. Scott
12-25-2006, 11:49 PM
It's the NFL. Any Given Sunday and all. So stop.

macro
12-25-2006, 11:50 PM
You're telling me you're giving the Raiders a chance?

Jpup
12-25-2006, 11:51 PM
The Titans are done now as well, but it doesn't hurt as much when you don't expect it and Vince Young is the QB of the future. Sorry for you Bengal fans as well. They did it to themselves and I know that doesn't make it any easier. They will be back next year.

traderumor
12-25-2006, 11:52 PM
It is a misleading thread title, I think my small change is more appropriate

forfreelin04
12-25-2006, 11:55 PM
Let me ask you something Macro, if the Bengals were playing Oakland to get into the playoffs would you still consider it a gimme?

macro
12-25-2006, 11:55 PM
Point well taken. I changed it.

Now that I've had my little vent, what changes are needed for next year to get this franchise over the hump? I think a new defensive coordinator is something that most will agree on. Anything else needed?

macro
12-25-2006, 11:56 PM
Let me ask you something Macro, if the Bengals were playing Oakland to get into the playoffs would you still consider it a gimme?

At home in the 2006 season? Yes.

Chip R
12-25-2006, 11:57 PM
As a Dolphins fan, I'm sorry. Nothing upsets me more than losing to the Jets.

Jpup
12-25-2006, 11:58 PM

Don't talk about the Dolphins. You must only be allowed to talk about certain teams.

Ok I'm done.:)

guttle11
12-26-2006, 12:00 AM
The Jets have taken advantage of a total JV schedule. I think the Bengals, with all their problems, go 12-4 at worst with that schedule. It's ridiculous. I'd much rather get beat out by the Jags or Chiefs. At least they played a decent schedule.

As weird as it is to say, Go Raiders!

forfreelin04
12-26-2006, 12:03 AM
At home in the 2006 season? Yes.

The Super Bowl Champions would disagree.

traderumor
12-26-2006, 12:04 AM

Now that I've had my little vent, what changes are needed for next year to get this franchise over the hump? I think a new defensive coordinator is something that most will agree on. Anything else needed?

Well, this would be two down in Marvin's tenure for what is supposed to be his specialty if that happens. I think the D is a talent problem first and a coaching problem second, but I'd say that both need significant changes. What it takes to fix both is probably the draft and free agency. I'd say you could argue that all of the LBers need replaced and two of the Dlineman. I'd let Justin Smith walk and find more playing time for Peko. Geathers is finally looking like a pass rushing end, but the rest need upgraded. Leave the offense alone, focus on the D and the offense won't be falling all over themselves to try to win the game, which is what I think the turnovers are coming from. Oh yea, and I'd trade Chris Henry.

oneupper
12-26-2006, 12:05 AM

Second this. Sorry.

(We really needed to go for it with that 4th and 1 foot at the 7 with 2 min left).

George Foster
12-26-2006, 12:10 AM
The Bengals have no one to blame but themselves. This franchise took a big step backward this year. There is a "lack of institutional control" to coin a NCAA term. No discipline off the field is a sure sign that there are a lot of problems at the top. I love Marvin. He's done a good job, but all the off the field problems really hurt this team and was a major distraction. The Bengals were not a Super Bowl team this year due to the Palmer injury and various other injuries. However there is no excuse for this team not to make the play-offs. Playoff teams don't lose to Tampa, and give the game to Denver like they did on the 24th.

George Foster
12-26-2006, 12:15 AM
Well, this would be two down in Marvin's tenure for what is supposed to be his specialty if that happens. I think the D is a talent problem first and a coaching problem second, but I'd say that both need significant changes. What it takes to fix both is probably the draft and free agency. I'd say you could argue that all of the LBers need replaced and two of the Dlineman. I'd let Justin Smith walk and find more playing time for Peko. Geathers is finally looking like a pass rushing end, but the rest need upgraded. Leave the offense alone, focus on the D and the offense won't be falling all over themselves to try to win the game, which is what I think the turnovers are coming from. Oh yea, and I'd trade Chris Henry.

Losing your two starting linbackers really hurt this team, but our pass defense and the lack of ability to adjust (Colts game) is mind blowing. Marvin coached one of the best defenses in the modern era while in Baltimore. I can't understand why he does not take more of a hands on approach. I don't expect a Ravens defense, but to be in the basement or close to it is unexceptable knowing his defensive background.

RedsFanatic
12-26-2006, 12:16 AM
I am really going to enjoy watching the Jets get blown out by whoever they play in the playoffs because that is a bad football team. They have no talent. Only reason they are in the playoffs is because of there joke of a schedule.

George Foster
12-26-2006, 12:19 AM
I am really going to enjoy watching the Jets get blown out by whoever they play in the playoffs because that is a bad football team. They have no talent. Only reason they are in the playoffs is because of there joke of a schedule.

I agree but it is what it is. It's not like College were you set your own schedule. They had no control over it. They were given a chance on a silver platter by the Bengals to make the playoffs and they took advantage of it.

Reds Freak
12-26-2006, 12:20 AM
Did anyone watching the game tonight do any comparisons between the Bengals and the Jets? The Jets, while having half of the talent as the Bengals, seemed disciplined, poised, well coached and didn't beat themselves. While the Bengals, in just about the same situation as the Jets were in tonight, were sloppy, frantic, undisciplined, and beat themselves in every possible way on Christmas Eve. I really don't know outside of the Chargers if there is any other AFC team more talented than the Bengals but it seems like their mental game is dead last.

By the way, Chip, tell your friggin corner to catch the dog gone ball when it hits him in the hands...:bang:

George Foster
12-26-2006, 12:24 AM
The Jets, while having half of the talent as the Bengals, seemed disciplined, poised, well coached and didn't beat themselves. While the Bengals, in just about the same situation as the Jets were in tonight, were sloppy, frantic, undisciplined, and beat themselves in every possible way on Christmas Eve.

Discipline OFF and on the field. Kids that are undisciplined away from home are undisciplined at home as well.

kaldaniels
12-26-2006, 12:27 AM

The Jets beat the Pats in NE this year. Anything is possible. Anyone who thinks otherwise has never watched the NFL.

guttle11
12-26-2006, 12:30 AM
The Jets beat the Pats in NE this year. Anything is possible. Anyone who thinks otherwise has never watched the NFL.

It's also possible that the Devil Rays will win the AL East next year. Anyone who thinks otherwise has never watched rugby.

pedro
12-26-2006, 12:35 AM
I had read that if the Bengals win and Buffalo & Jacksonville lose then teh Bengals will get in.

http://football.about.com/od/nationalfootballleague/a/playoffscenario.htm

macro
12-26-2006, 12:39 AM
I had read that if the Bengals win and Buffalo & Jacksonville lose then teh Bengals will get in.

If the Bengals had won, then yes, that would have been the case. But they lost, so that scenario is null and void.

As it stands now, the best the Bengals can do is 9-7. The Broncos host SF and the Jets host Oakland, so both have an excellent chance of going 10-6.

MWM
12-26-2006, 12:41 AM

That was on Saturday, prio to Sunday's games. Had the Bengals won, because Buffalo and Jax lost, they would have clinched a playoff spot. The only hope for the Bengals is for the Jets to lose at home to Oakland this Sunday. Anything's possible, because Oakland has a hell of a defense.

forfreelin04
12-26-2006, 12:47 AM
Discipline OFF and on the field. Kids that are undisciplined away from home are undisciplined at home as well.

Totally agree with you. I mean let's all be honest here even IF the Bengals do make it into the playoffs by some random miracle, who would they play the Colts, the Patriots? They would just embarass themselves like they did against them in the regular season. I'm a big Bengals fan, always have been, even in the Dave Shula era, but they still leave alot to be desired. They have never won a big game on a grand stage. They backed into the playoffs last year. They lost to every single AFC division winner this year. Carson and Chad seem to choke when they have big media coverage. Plus, the defense is just as embarssing as it ever has been.

But, on the positive side, Carson, Pro Bowl year aside, concentrated on physical therapy more then perfecting his throws and his mobility. Give him the offseason to do the opposite and I think we will see an even bigger season from him next year. I think the end of this season has been humbling for Chad and he too will step up his game. Yardage is great, but big catches in big games are even better. Plus, Marvin will and hopefully FINALLY fix the defense, be it a big linebacker signing or simply hiring a new coordinator who can make some adjustments. Who would have thought that the first two draft picks from last year might not ever play a game in a Bengals uniform again? In any sense, I think wading through the 'Bungle" era has granted me enough patience to wait just one more year.

Playadlc
12-26-2006, 01:21 AM
That was on Saturday, prio to Sunday's games. Had the Bengals won, because Buffalo and Jax lost, they would have clinched a playoff spot. The only hope for the Bengals is for the Jets to lose at home to Oakland this Sunday. Anything's possible, because Oakland has a hell of a defense.

You know, it's not as outlandish for Oakland to beat NY as some think.

Just look at the Raiders stats the last two weeks. They dominated St. Louis from the line of scrimmage, and they beat KC from the line of scrimmage. The reason they lost is because in both games they turned the ball over 5 times.

If they can somehow win the turnover battle against NY, they can win that game.

pedro
12-26-2006, 01:43 AM

here's the new scenario

Cincinnati clinches a playoff berth with:
1) a win + a NY Jets loss, OR
2) a Cincinnati win + a Denver loss + Kansas City win.

forfreelin04
12-26-2006, 02:11 AM
here's the new scenario

Cincinnati clinches a playoff berth with:
1) a win + a NY Jets loss, OR
2) a Cincinnati win + a Denver loss + Kansas City win.

I don't understand the second scenario. I thought since the Bengals lost head to head with the Broncos, they would lose the tiebreaker?

Playadlc
12-26-2006, 03:10 AM
I don't understand the second scenario. I thought since the Bengals lost head to head with the Broncos, they would lose the tiebreaker?

If that scenario played out, KC would move ahead of Denver, but not ahead of Cincinnati. So the Bengals-Broncos matchups would be void because of Denver being behind KC.

Hope that makes sense. It's late.

RedsBaron
12-26-2006, 06:21 AM
The Bengals should be at least 11-4, not 8-7. They should not have lost to Tampa Bay, they should not have given up 42 points in the second half to blow the game to San Diego, and they should have never been in the position of needing an extra point to tie the score late against Denver.

remdog
12-26-2006, 07:03 AM
At the start of the season I was more excited about the Bengals' prospects than I have been since the '80's so this year has been a big disappointment.
Losing both Thurman and Pollack at LB hurt quite a bit since both of them showed the potential to be among the top LB's in their first season. I was looking forward to watching them progress but, as forfreelin04 pointed out, it's possible that the two of them are gone from this team (and possibly pro football) forever.

O'Neal and James need to be replaced and I'd probably let Smith walk.

As bad as the O-line was hurt by injuries this year Whitworth, Ghiaciuc and Andrews gained a lot of experience and, overall (IMO) played pretty well the last half of the season. That will help next year as it appears that the Bengals are ready to let Steinbach leave.

There were times that the coaching staff didn't seem to have a clue but I'll let Marvin Lewis decide what should be done with the various assistants. However, as head coach it's Marvin's job to be responsible for the teams record. I like Marvin and his supporters point out that he's never had a losing season as head coach. By the same token, I'll point out that he's only ever had one winning season. He's a big step up from days of old but 8-8 year after year isn't going to satify the fans much longer. It's time to show that he can take a team deep into the playoffs and be a legitimate Super Bowl contender.

Rem

bomarl1969
12-26-2006, 07:52 AM
They will be back next year.

In Paul Brown Stadium or in the Folsum State Pen?

Hoosier Red
12-26-2006, 08:38 AM

You're logic falls apart when the "discipline problems" off the field are not the same "discipline problems" on the field.

Players that were arrested(I assume this is what you're referring to as "discipline problems)
Deltha, McNeal, Steinbach, Askew, Henry, Henry, Henry, Henry, Nicholson, Rucker, Thurman.

Players that had a noticeable impact on the game yesterday:
Carson(two interceptions) Rudi(fails to put ball away) Chad(same) Joseph(pass interference) Chad(false start/illegal shift on Henry TD pass) Entire Defense(gives up 99 yard TD drive) and finally St.Louis(well you know)

So what did I miss.
Was it undisciplined play by Chad, Carson and co or was it just poor play? And what does that have to do with AJ Nicholson being arrested?

WMR
12-26-2006, 09:44 AM
Fire Bresnahan. How many times this year did the opposing team OBVIOUSLY make key adjustments during half-time while the Bengals did not, and seemed absolutely incapable of, changing a thing?? The NFL is a game of adjustments, and Bresnahan failed miserably at that this year.

Yachtzee
12-26-2006, 10:50 AM
Fire Bresnahan. How many times this year did the opposing team OBVIOUSLY make key adjustments during half-time while the Bengals did not, and seemed absolutely incapable of, changing a thing?? The NFL is a game of adjustments, and Bresnahan failed miserably at that this year.

I just don't like Bresnahan's philosophy on D. I'd say the run D has greatly improved, but the way they play pass D, it's as if they think they have a 30 point lead the whole game. They constantly play it safe to avoid giving up the big play, but then let teams dink-and-dunk them to death. That's fine if you're playing against a team where the QB is pretty bad and can't hit his receivers consistently. But when a QB of reasonable consistency goes up against that, it results in long drives that not only end up in scores, but keeps your own high-powered offense off the field.

WMR
12-26-2006, 10:54 AM
I just don't like Bresnahan's philosophy on D. I'd say the run D has greatly improved, but the way they play pass D, it's as if they think they have a 30 point lead the whole game. They constantly play it safe to avoid giving up the big play, but then let teams dink-and-dunk them to death. That's fine if you're playing against a team where the QB is pretty bad and can't hit his receivers consistently. But when a QB of reasonable consistency goes up against that, it results in long drives that not only end up in scores, but keeps your own high-powered offense off the field.

Their biggest asset last season was their ball-hawking, willing-to-take-a-gamble defense! Weird how that seemed to change this season, b/c I agree with ya... did Bresnahan just simply lose his nerve?

George Foster
12-26-2006, 12:37 PM
You're logic falls apart when the "discipline problems" off the field are not the same "discipline problems" on the field.

Players that were arrested(I assume this is what you're referring to as "discipline problems)
Deltha, McNeal, Steinbach, Askew, Henry, Henry, Henry, Henry, Nicholson, Rucker, Thurman.

Players that had a noticeable impact on the game yesterday:
Carson(two interceptions) Rudi(fails to put ball away) Chad(same) Joseph(pass interference) Chad(false start/illegal shift on Henry TD pass) Entire Defense(gives up 99 yard TD drive) and finally St.Louis(well you know)

So what did I miss.
Was it undisciplined play by Chad, Carson and co or was it just poor play? And what does that have to do with AJ Nicholson being arrested?

Your logic falls apart because Football is a team sport and if the team has chronic discipline problems off the field it translates to the lockeroom, practice field, and on gameday. How many arrests has New England had the last 5 years? They are the definition of a disciplined football team. It all starts at the top.

TC81190
12-26-2006, 12:48 PM
At the start of the season I was more excited about the Bengals' prospects than I have been since the '80's so this year has been a big disappointment.
Losing both Thurman and Pollack at LB hurt quite a bit since both of them showed the potential to be among the top LB's in their first season. I was looking forward to watching them progress but, as forfreelin04 pointed out, it's possible that the two of them are gone from this team (and possibly pro football) forever.

O'Neal and James need to be replaced and I'd probably let Smith walk.

As bad as the O-line was hurt by injuries this year Whitworth, Ghiaciuc and Andrews gained a lot of experience and, overall (IMO) played pretty well the last half of the season. That will help next year as it appears that the Bengals are ready to let Steinbach leave.

There were times that the coaching staff didn't seem to have a clue but I'll let Marvin Lewis decide what should be done with the various assistants. However, as head coach it's Marvin's job to be responsible for the teams record. I like Marvin and his supporters point out that he's never had a losing season as head coach. By the same token, I'll point out that he's only ever had one winning season. He's a big step up from days of old but 8-8 year after year isn't going to satify the fans much longer. It's time to show that he can take a team deep into the playoffs and be a legitimate Super Bowl contender.

Rem

I'd definitely let James go in a heartbeat, but I just can;t agree on Deltha O'Neal.

Hoosier Red
12-26-2006, 01:10 PM
Your logic falls apart because Football is a team sport and if the team has chronic discipline problems off the field it translates to the lockeroom, practice field, and on gameday. How many arrests has New England had the last 5 years? They are the definition of a disciplined football team. It all starts at the top.

Two. Though to be fair, one was released because he threw scalding water on his roomate.

The Chargers were neck and neck with the Bengals this preseason for a while Maybe since only 4 guys were arrested it doesn't count as chronic.

Same with the Bears. They had a bunch of guys arrested in the off season(many with much more serious things than the Bengals,) Tank Johnson was nearly shot, and they are 13-2. Maybe a very undisciplined 13-2, but 13-2 nonetheless.

If the Bengals miss the playoffs, it won't be due to lack of discipline. Maybe bad Karma, but discipline isn't really the issue.

Red Leader
12-26-2006, 01:17 PM
On a totally unrelated note, I'll be glad to see local (for me) athletes Mike Nugent and Nick Mangold make the playoffs. That's a special moment for them and I'm happy that they'll probably get there.

Ok, continue on with the Bengals...and I apologize for the tangent.

traderumor
12-26-2006, 02:28 PM

That might be a proverb, but I don't think I would call that law. There are many examples of teams playing very well in any sport with players that were not pillars of society, or even good teammates. There are a lot of folks who can separate lack of discipline in their personal life and be disciplined on the field, coachable and make a good teammate. I think Hoosier Red is correct in not assuming the correlation that you are attempting to make.

Dom Heffner
12-26-2006, 02:35 PM
If the Bengals miss the playoffs, it won't be due to lack of discipline. Maybe bad Karma, but discipline isn't really the issue.

I think this is a fair assessment. In GF's defense, those arrests may have had affects on other games and not just the Denver one (those are the only examples you cite).

It's just frustrating to be a fan when you have the bad call in Tampa, the blown loss to San Diego, the pathetic Atlanta performance, and then a simple PAT to tie the game against Denver to stew on all offseason.

It's not one thing with these guys, just a whole bunch.

I'd start with that atrocious defense.

Oh, to have had the Jets at home instead of New England.

KoryMac5
12-26-2006, 06:39 PM
The Bengals definitely need to mature as a team. Some of the arguments that have happened on the field the last couple of years between players and coaches and players themselves need to be done with. These players need to grow up and be professionals on and off the field. As far as personelle decisions need to go who to keep is a big concern. The Bengals are definitely going to lose a few important pieces to the puzzle this offseason and we need to draft smart to replace them.

StillFunkyB
12-26-2006, 10:40 PM

Not so many stinking injuries.

Oh, and a new long snapper.

Doc. Scott
12-27-2006, 04:04 PM
Their biggest asset last season was their ball-hawking, willing-to-take-a-gamble defense! Weird how that seemed to change this season, b/c I agree with ya... did Bresnahan just simply lose his nerve?

It strikes me that stats like turnovers are pretty variable from year to year, much like clutch hitting or average on balls in play (BABIP).

WMR
12-27-2006, 04:13 PM
It strikes me that stats like turnovers are pretty variable from year to year, much like clutch hitting or average on balls in play (BABIP).

Of course, but an aggressive defense will almost always cause more turnovers than one playing NOT to give up the big play.

I have observed what appears to be a fundamental shift in Bresnahan's defensive philosophy this season. He is coaching scared.

Doc. Scott
12-27-2006, 04:19 PM
Of course, but an aggressive defense will almost always cause more turnovers than one playing NOT to give up the big play.

I have observed what appears to be a fundamental shift in Bresnahan's defensive philosophy this season. He is coaching scared.

Undeniable, of course, but in the same way a speed-heavy baseball team can manufacture a bunch of runs one season and drop precipitously the next doing the same thing, a ball-hawking defense faces variability due to a combination of luck and adjustments.

Now, as for the fundamental shift... that's the real question. At least we know that Marvin Lewis does not cut his defensive coordinators a whole lot of slack. It'll be interesting to see if Lewis writes off the defensive issues as a result of injuries and the collapse of Odell Thurman or if he'll take it out of Chuck's hide.

SunDeck
12-29-2006, 08:28 PM

I don't think getting rid of Henry leaves the offense alone. I'd keep him, but I'd assign a mommy to him 24/7.
I'd add a tight end.

The linebacker situation has to change. Too bad the Bengals had such impact players at that position go down (or out as was the case with idiot Thurman). I think that really set the progam back by quite a bit. I agree about the line, but unfortunately, there is a lot needed and it's hard to revamp so much in one offseason. I'd be tempted to move Geathers to LB, then try to bring in a quality interior lineman for starters, but can they get as lucky in the draft as they did when they landed Pollack? They sorely need a hitter to replace him at LB.

justincredible
12-29-2006, 11:41 PM

No talent?

Chad Pennington - has led his team to the playoffs every year he has started more than 10 games and despite his lack of arm strength is still a top 10 NFL QB. Sure, QB is a rather weak position in the NFL right now, but he's still near the top.

Laveranues Coles - one of the toughest WRs in the NFL. Would probably play through a broken leg as long as it was still attached. He is also finishing up another 1,000+ yard season.

Jerricho Cotchery - his first season as a starter he has worked his way to one of the better #2 WRs in the NFL and is 92 yards short of the 1,000 yard mark. If you haven't heard his name yet you will next year. Watching the kid play this year has been a treat.

Nick Mangold & D'brickashaw Ferguson - two rookies starting on the o-line, one of which at the toughest position (LT), yet have had played like seasoned veterans. Nick Mangold is playing at a Pro Bowl level and D'brick isn't too far behind.

Dewayne Robertson - after being a waste of space under Herm Edwards he has finally shown his potential with an actual coach in Eric Mangini. The kid is good.

Kerry Rhodes - is having the best season of any AFC safety and is an absolute playmaker. He was one of the biggest Pro Bowl snubs this year. He is a stud.

Jonathan Vilma - is having a down year due to the switch to the 3-5 defense. He is finally coming around at the end of the season and will be back next year. He was a premier LB last season and will be back to that level next year, IMO.

As for getting blown out in the playoffs? They lost to the Colts by 3 in week 4. This time they would play in the dome where Chad Pennington is downright ridiculous. Look up his stats if you want.

They lost to the Pats by a TD the first time and beat them in Foxboro the second time.

Yeah, they got smacked in the mouth by Jacksonville, but that game was a complete aberration.

Since the break, week 8, the defense has been stellar. They have given up just over 13 points per game in that span.

Call me a homer if you want, but when doing things like this I try to be objective as possible. I know the Oakland game isn't a given but I am fairly confident they will win the game.

Also, don't forget this team was chosen by most, if not all, to fight for the #1 draft pick in next years draft. It just goes to show what good coaching and discipline will do to a team.

Dom Heffner
12-30-2006, 12:48 PM
Chad Pennington - has led his team to the playoffs every year he has started more than 10 games and despite his lack of arm strength is still a top 10 NFL QB. Sure, QB is a rather weak position in the NFL right now, but he's still near the top.

To say that Chad Pennington is a top 10 quarterbacks speaks more about the lack of talent at the position than Chad Pennington.

He's just okay. Inconsistent, injury prone...16 TDs this season. Nothing to write home about.

Put him on your fantasy team and see how far you go. Heck, put him on your real team and see how far you go.

Laveranues Coles - one of the toughest WRs in the NFL.

Is this anything like 'scrappy" for a baseball player?

He has 6 touchdowns and averages about 70 yards a game. Wow.

It just goes to show what good coaching and discipline will do to a team.

You forgot chemistry.

The Jets victories this year: TN, BUF, MIA, DET, NE, HOU, GB, and MIN.

I'm thinking they are going all the way. :)

WMR
12-30-2006, 01:03 PM
Whenever I think about Chad Pennington, I think about one of the funniest things I've ever seen on television when, on "Inside the NFL" on HBO, Cris Carter asked the guys if they wanted to see his Chad Pennington impression and proceeded to pull out a little water gun and squirt Marino. Classic.

justincredible
12-30-2006, 02:09 PM
To say that Chad Pennington is a top 10 quarterbacks speaks more about the lack of talent at the position than Chad Pennington.

He's just okay. Inconsistent, injury prone...16 TDs this season. Nothing to write home about.

Put him on your fantasy team and see how far you go. Heck, put him on your real team and see how far you go.

Is this anything like 'scrappy" for a baseball player?

He has 6 touchdowns and averages about 70 yards a game. Wow.

You forgot chemistry.

The Jets victories this year: TN, BUF, MIA, DET, NE, HOU, GB, and MIN.

I'm thinking they are going all the way. :)

Hey, even I said QB is weak right now. He's still one of the better QBs in the league. He doesn't wow you with stats but he gets the job done more often than not.

As for Coles and his 71 yards per game, that's good enough for 7th in the AFC. He doesn't score a lot of TDs because the Jets aren't a TD factory like the Bengals and the Colts. They rely more on their defense. Coles is also #3 in receptions in the AFC.

Also, the Jets don't pick their schedule, so they can't help who they end up playing and beating. It's still an NFL schedule and they have still won 9 games (soon to be 10, hopefully) which is good enough to get you in to the playoffs.

As a Jets fan I couldn't be happier with this season. I thought going in to the year that 5 wins was the best to hope for. Now we have a chance to double that number and make a run in the playoffs. Who would have thought? Not even the biggest Jets homer in the world could have expected this.

NDRed
12-30-2006, 09:19 PM
I know the Raiders will probably lose but give them a chance. I'm a Raiders fan.

GAC
12-31-2006, 08:40 AM
I'm a Browns fan who, for today only and because I want to see the Bengals in the post-season since my team is not, is dressing up in full Raider regalia

http://cache.boston.com/bonzai-fba/Globe_Photo/2005/09/09/1126270770_3684.jpg

But if you guys blow it too the Steelers then somebody is gonna have to pay for this!!!! :mooner:

Heath
12-31-2006, 10:43 AM
And as a Browns fan, it's maddening that of the 4 wins, 3 have winning records.

You think Bengals have it bad, think of the Packers.

Green Bay can clinch playoff berth with:

1) GB win + GB clinches strength of victory tiebreaker over NYG**

**Packers clinch strength of victory tiebreaker over NY Giants if all of the following occur:
ARI win, DET win, MIA win, MIN win, SF win, CAR loss, HOU loss, TB loss.

The Cleveland Browns can effectively knock the formerly hated Eastern Divisional rival Giants out of the playoffs if they beat the Texans.

:D

paintmered
12-31-2006, 10:46 AM
And as a Browns fan, it's maddening that of the 4 wins, 3 have winning records.

You think Bengals have it bad, think of the Packers.

The Cleveland Browns can effectively knock the formerly hated Eastern Divisional rival Giants out of the playoffs if they beat the Texans.

:D

That's hope, right there.

RollyInRaleigh
12-31-2006, 02:25 PM
He doesn't wow you with stats but he gets the job done more often than not.
:beerme:

pedro
12-31-2006, 08:04 PM
and it all came down to that missed field goal. all the other ducks fell into line for the bengals.

toledodan
12-31-2006, 08:08 PM
san fran just kicked a fg to win in ot. what a kick in the a$$ to be a bengals fan right now. as much as i like the bengals they REALLY didn't deserve to make the playoffs. to lose your last 3 games of the season like they did( stupid mistakes) is unbearable to think about.