PDA

View Full Version : Saban takes the Alabama job

Reds Fanatic
01-03-2007, 11:13 AM
http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=2718488

Nick Saban has accepted an offer from Alabama to coach the Crimson Tide and left the Miami Dolphins on Wednesday, two weeks after declaring "I'm not going to be the Alabama coach."

Saban will return to the SEC, where he won a national championship with LSU .Saban told team owner Wayne Huizenga of his intentions via telephone and then informed all of his coaches by speakerphone that he was leaving to accept the Alabama position, a source told the South Florida Sun-Sentinel.

Alabama made its formal offer to Saban on Monday after rumors swirled for weeks that the Crimson Tide were pursuing the former LSU coach. The offer, believed to run from eight to 10 years, is worth $35 million to $40 million, and includes many variables, ESPN's Chris Mortensen reported Monday.

Saban had issued repeated denials that he was interested in coaching at Alabama, one of the most high-profile and high-pressure college coaching jobs in the country. He leaves the Dolphins with three years left on a deal worth approximately $4.5 million a year.

Alabama began looking for a coach after firing Mike Shula on Nov. 27. The Tide finished the season 6-7, losing to Oklahoma State in the Independence Bowl.

On Tuesday, Saban asked for and recevied more time from Dolphins owner Wayne Huizenga to make a decision.

Huizenga remained optimistic Tuesday that Saban would return to Miami, and gave him until 10 a.m. Wednesday to make a decision.

"I'm hoping he's leaning on staying," Huizenga was quoted as saying in the South Florida Sun-Sentinel. "I like Nick a lot and hope he's going to stay. I'm not upset. You just have to play this thing through."

Huizenga has said he received repeated assurances from Saban late in the season that he would return in 2007. And Saban issued frequent public denials of interest in moving to Tuscaloosa, such as on Dec. 21, when he said: "I'm not going to be the Alabama coach."

pedro
01-03-2007, 11:17 AM
Hard to turn down that sort of money. Sure wouldn't want the Alabama alumni bugging me all the time though.

KronoRed
01-03-2007, 11:19 AM
He doesn't go undefeated in year one the bama fans will start to grumble.

Red Leader
01-03-2007, 11:26 AM
Alabama has a very favorable schedule in 2007.

Homes games: Western Carolina, Arkansas, Georgia, Houston, Tennessee, LSU, Louisiana-Monroe.

Away games: Vanderbilt, Florida St., Ole Miss, Mississippi St, Auburn.

The Auburn game, of course, is the big one. The last game of the year. That will ultimately decide whether Saban's first year is successful or not.

jmcclain19
01-03-2007, 11:42 AM
I think Saban is a POS opportunist. On par with Dennis Erickson.

Larry Brown of the pigskin.

I give him no more than 4 seasons before he's gone.

BRM
01-03-2007, 11:59 AM

I agree. I'll be surprised if he stays longer than 4 seasons at Alabama.

Chip R
01-03-2007, 12:14 PM
I agree. I'll be surprised if he stays longer than 4 seasons at Alabama.

I agree but what NFL owner in his right mind would hire him? It's not like he was a great coach or player personnel director when he was in Miami. After all, he had the decision between Drew Brees and Daunte Culpepper and chose the wrong guy. And if you can't work for Huizinga, you can't work for anyone.

guttle11
01-03-2007, 12:20 PM

I'll refer to what Colin Cowherd always says, because I think it's spot on.

"If a salesman works his butt off and is able to negotiate a better deal with another company every few years, people call him ambitious and a "go-getter". You do that in sports, you're somehow in the wrong."

dabvu2498
01-03-2007, 12:40 PM
I'll refer to what Colin Cowherd always says, because I think it's spot on.

"If a salesman works his butt off and is able to negotiate a better deal with another company every few years, people call him ambitious and a "go-getter". You do that in sports, you're somehow in the wrong."

My only problem with that analogy is that when you are a college football (basketball, baseball, etc.) coach, you're pledging your loyalty not only to your employer, but also to the 18-22 year old men that you've recruited to be a part of your team.

Chip R
01-03-2007, 12:46 PM
My only problem with that analogy is that when you are a college football (basketball, baseball, etc.) coach, you're pledging your loyalty not only to your employer, but also to the 18-22 year old men that you've recruited to be a part of your team.

Also, a salesman doesn't usually sign a long term contract. What would happen if someone like Chad Johnson wanted to play for the Cowboys and just walked out in the middle of his contract?

KoryMac5
01-03-2007, 01:26 PM
Saban is not an NFL coach and I think he ultimately saw the writing on the wall. The strict disciplinarian style wears thin with NFL guys after 3 or 4 years. In college there's less of an opportunity for your style to wear thin because you are cycling players out every 2 to 4 years.

BRM
01-03-2007, 01:29 PM
I agree but what NFL owner in his right mind would hire him?

Plenty of them. Owners aren't the smartest bunch when it comes to hiring coaches. Bad coaches get recycled in the NFL all the time. Saban will have some success at Alabama and bolt after three or four years. Maybe not to the NFL, but he will leave and go elsewhere again.

Chip R
01-03-2007, 01:37 PM
Plenty of them. Owners aren't the smartest bunch when it comes to hiring coaches. Bad coaches get recycled in the NFL all the time. Saban will have some success at Alabama and bolt after three or four years. Maybe not to the NFL, but he will leave and go elsewhere again.

That does seem to be his MO but what other college job could he want? As for the NFL, you're right, bad coaches do get recycled all the time. But they usually stay in the NFL and are fired from their previous job. They usually don't spurn a situation like he had in Miami to go back to college. And perhaps some NFL owner will remember what he did at LSU and if he's successful enough at Bama he might give him a shot. But he has to know that Saban isn't one for sticking around very long and a 5 year deal is meaningless to him.

WVRed
01-03-2007, 01:59 PM

Actually, I look for Saban to get fired after four years and end up as a coordinator in the NFL, or a lower tier head coaching job.

guttle11
01-03-2007, 06:08 PM
Also, a salesman doesn't usually sign a long term contract. What would happen if someone like Chad Johnson wanted to play for the Cowboys and just walked out in the middle of his contract?

If he had an out clause, nothing. That's the point of having a contract, so that both sides can have a say in the terms of employment.

Chip R
01-03-2007, 06:21 PM
If he had an out clause, nothing. That's the point of having a contract, so that both sides can have a say in the terms of employment.

But if he didn't, and they usually don't, the Bengals would raise 10 kinds of hell.

Caveat Emperor
01-03-2007, 06:47 PM
Actually, I look for Saban to get fired after four years and end up as a coordinator in the NFL, or a lower tier head coaching job.

Yup.

Alabama fans are living in a dream world where their program is dominant every year and the reincarnation of Bear Bryant leads the Tide to victory every Saturday. College football has changed, and the old days are never coming back.

Nebraska fans/administration had the same problem after Osborne left.

Jpup
01-04-2007, 09:05 AM
Welcome to America, good for Nick. I just wish he wasn't a liar. Maybe he changed his mind and didn't lie. I can't blame him at all, 32 million is a lot of cash. I would do it for 32 dollars. :)

pedro
01-04-2007, 11:33 AM
As poor a season as Miami had perhaps Saban figured he better take the money and run before his star fell. Surely no one was ever going to offer more money.

Roy Tucker
01-04-2007, 11:43 AM
Seems that some people in Miami aren't happy with the way Saban left...

http://www.miami.com/mld/miamiherald/sports/columnists/dan_le_batard/16374957.htm

traderumor
01-04-2007, 12:42 PM
Yup.

Alabama fans are living in a dream world where their program is dominant every year and the reincarnation of Bear Bryant leads the Tide to victory every Saturday. College football has changed, and the old days are never coming back.

Nebraska fans/administration had the same problem after Osborne left.Alabama can still play on that tradition. Ohio State made it back to the level Woody Hayes had them is one example. USC would be another. You can't buy that tradition, and Alabama has it. They just need to find the right guy for the job, and apparently they think it is Saban.