PDA

View Full Version : Which type of game do you find more entertaining?

Ltlabner
01-04-2007, 03:45 PM
Which do you find more entertaining...

1) Pitchers duel, low scoring, over quick-but it seems like forever sorta game. The kind of game where one error or key hit can decide the entire game. A total nail biter.

2) Slug fest with double digit scoring from both teams. There's nothing but action but the game actually takes 4 hours. The kind of game where everytime you run to the mens room you come back to find 3 more runs on the board. The phone line to the bullpen melts down because it's over used.

dunner13
01-04-2007, 03:51 PM
I like #1 , espically if one of the pitchers has a chance for a no hitter or is getting alot of strikeouts. The playoff game a few years ago where roger clemens was pitching for the yankees against the mariners and he was dominating and striking out everyone was one of the best games I have seen recently.

RollyInRaleigh
01-04-2007, 03:57 PM

FutureRedsGM
01-04-2007, 04:25 PM
My initial repsonse is any game that ends up in a reds W.

But back to the question . . . I like #2. As long as it is a clean game without a ton of errors, I like to watch offense.

The best game for me would end Reds 12 - Cardinals 0.

George Anderson
01-04-2007, 04:32 PM
I enjoy a good pitchers duel over a offensive, knock em out type game anyday. To me it just seems like there is more strategy with a pitchers duel which is the biggest part of baseball that I enjoy!!

CRedsLarkin11
01-04-2007, 04:40 PM
I like pitcher's duels but there isn't too many of them around here, :)

reds1869
01-04-2007, 04:41 PM
#1, but I enjoy #2 as well.

Johnny Footstool
01-04-2007, 04:44 PM
I want to see exciting plays, regardless of the "type" of game.

I don't like pitchers' duels that contain a lot of weak grounders to SS and 2B, or lazy fly balls that outfielders can camp under. That's just dull.

But if the pitchers' duel involves a lot of baserunners, key strikeouts, stellar defense, and guys getting thrown out at the plate, I dig it.

By that same token, I don't particularly like watching a blowout unless the Reds are on the winning side, but a high-scoring affair that contains a lot of drama is a joy to watch.

camisadelgolf
01-04-2007, 04:50 PM
I like games that allow me to see as many of the best parts of baseball as possible. For example, it might start with my team down 1-0 (due to great defense and pitching), with my team being no-hit, and then it's an up-and-down battle by one- and two-run increments until it eventually ends with a walk-off hit of some kind. That's the kind of game that has me going home and thinking, "Wow, I just watched a really good baseball game. I got every penny of my cost of admission and some." Basically, it's like seeing a great movie at the theater. I'm not a huge fan of blowouts (although I won't complain if the Reds are the ones blowing out) because the game is boring before it's over.

RedsManRick
01-04-2007, 04:52 PM
Given these two choices I prefer #1 if I'm watching on TV and #2 if I'm attending. In the abstract, I prefer a game with medium scoring (say 5-4) that combines the best aspects of #1 & #2.

reds44
01-04-2007, 04:52 PM

I love slugfests. You never feel you are out of the game. Pitchers duels make me want to pull my hair out.

redsfan30
01-04-2007, 04:54 PM
I like a good mix. Too much of either one gets boring after a week of it.

Always Red
01-04-2007, 04:55 PM
pitcher's duel, any day of the week.

The game I most enjoyed all year long was a September game against the Giants. The Reds won, 3-0, Arroyo pitching a tidy 3 hit shutout. I had the privilege of having my best seats of the year, behind home plate (no, not Diamond seats!). Arroyo pitched a masterful game, the Giants were off stride all night long, and that curveball of his, from that point of view, is a thing of beauty.

Time of game? 2:02. Baseball as it was meant to be played! :beerme:

Coffeybro
01-04-2007, 05:02 PM
Give me a #1 game anytime and I'll watch regardless of who is playing.

Joseph
01-04-2007, 05:03 PM
The thing I love most about baseball is that you just never know what you're going to get. One night its a 2-1 game, the next night the same two teams produce a 10-8 game.

IslandRed
01-04-2007, 05:19 PM
Depends on if we're batting or in the field, doesn't it?

Truthfully, I find baseball most entertaining with runners on base and the ball in play. 1-0 with a zillion strikeouts is too close to fast-pitch softball. 12-10 with a bunch of homers is too close to slow-pitch softball. I like it in-between.

Degenerate39
01-04-2007, 05:42 PM

I love slugfests. You never feel you are out of the game. Pitchers duels make me want to pull my hair out.

Totally agree unless one of the pitchers is throwing a perfect game.

jojo
01-04-2007, 05:55 PM
Personally I drool over a hitter with great command of the strikezone working the count against a great pitcher..... I love a 10-12 pitch at-bat especially in a high-leverage situation.... If you can get strength against strength in that situation especially in the post-season, no sport can offer better drama. For me, baseball is great not only because you never know what type of game you'll get but even more so because of all of the games within the game....

:beerme:

Sean_CaseyRules
01-04-2007, 07:02 PM
I like games where its 7-0 and we are down, but everyone is staying because of the fireworks after the game, and we start to come back in the 7th inning, but they score in the top of the 8th, and then we score a little more in the 8th, but then in the 9th with bases loaded, 2 outs, and EVERYONE in the crowd doing The Wave and Adam Dunn hits a line shot down the line for a HR and the Reds win THE most memorable game I've seen! Oh yeah, that would be awesome....wait, i did get to see that!! And yes, it WAS awesome!

Falls City Beer
01-04-2007, 07:05 PM
Close games and blowouts that favor the Reds. Though the latter has been a rare beast in these parts for the last 6 seasons.

SunDeck
01-04-2007, 07:32 PM
I like a clean game, played by guys who know how to play the game. I like to see productive outs, choking up with two strikes, crowding the plate in a jam. I hate, hate, hate strikeouts, walks with runners in scoring position, and pointless homeruns. Give me a 2-1 ballgame, played by men in dirty uniforms, who know how to bunt, who can hit a sacrifice fly AND the cutoff man, men who do honor to the word SCRAPPY.

Rojo
01-04-2007, 08:09 PM
Neither. I like running and fielding.

Red in Chicago
01-04-2007, 08:12 PM
Given these two choices I prefer #1 if I'm watching on TV and #2 if I'm attending. In the abstract, I prefer a game with medium scoring (say 5-4) that combines the best aspects of #1 & #2.

bingo:beerme:

Superdude
01-04-2007, 08:34 PM
It depends on whose pitching. You can't go wrong with a pitching duel between Harang and Oswalt, but watching Michalek and Glendon Rusch get a bunch of lucky bounces is boring as crap to me. If it's battle of crafty lefthanders, I'm all for the slug fest.

Matt700wlw
01-04-2007, 08:58 PM
I like both, but I'll go with #1.

Good pitching is an art.....

wpenn4
01-04-2007, 08:59 PM
#1 easily, but my wife thinks I'm crazy.

macro
01-04-2007, 10:28 PM
Definitely #1. I long for the days when a 3.50 ERA was only so-so and 38 HR won the HR title.

pedro
01-04-2007, 11:33 PM
#1 for sure.

When I lived in Atlanta we'd go down and see Maddux pitch whenever we could and it was a joy.

vaticanplum
01-04-2007, 11:34 PM
I don't really care at this point, it's at just about that time of the offseason when I'm ready to give away everything I own to see a fiery Pirates-Nationals match or something.

jmcclain19
01-05-2007, 04:39 AM
When it comes to games I attend, I say both - with these two caveats.

If I'm with my wife, I prefer the close pitchers duels. She prefers to people watch, with a small amount of chatting, so I pretty much focus on the game.

If I'm with my buddies, I prefer the slug match. We'll be having a few adult beverages, talking not only about what teams are on the field, but about every other major baseball issue going on that day/week/month/year. Those types of 10-9 are just perfect for that. I went to a game where Juan Cruz spotted the Pads 9 runs in the 1st inning this past year, and the game ended up 14-11 with Hoffman coming in to slam the door, with at least a handful of yard balls along the way. I went with two friends - probably one of the more entertaining baseball games I can remember going to in years.

chettt
01-05-2007, 08:41 AM
#1 by a landslide. Give me a low-scoring pitching duel any day. Raise the mound back to where it should be.

Caveman Techie
01-05-2007, 10:54 AM
By far I enjoy #1 more. It just adds so much more to the game, if your pitcher is cruising in the 7th or 8th inning and your down by a run do you pinch hit for him? Or do you let him hit and keep on cruising? I love the strategy of that situation. In a blowout it just gets too easy to throw the next can of gas on the fire.

Everything is magnified in a pitchers duel. A base runner with speed means alot more, a walk could change the course of a game. I just love that :)

Chip R
01-05-2007, 12:17 PM
I want to see exciting plays, regardless of the "type" of game.

I don't like pitchers' duels that contain a lot of weak grounders to SS and 2B, or lazy fly balls that outfielders can camp under. That's just dull.

But if the pitchers' duel involves a lot of baserunners, key strikeouts, stellar defense, and guys getting thrown out at the plate, I dig it.

By that same token, I don't particularly like watching a blowout unless the Reds are on the winning side, but a high-scoring affair that contains a lot of drama is a joy to watch.

I agree with Johnny.

Edd Roush
01-05-2007, 01:42 PM
#1 is my choice. Those kind of games seem to bore non-baseball fans in attendance but they are what I believe baseball is all about. Everything is magnified in a low-scoring game. Every defensive play, every pitch.

Plus, I think if the Reds gave up 10+ runs, I would be screaming too much at them to enjoy the game.

DannyB
01-05-2007, 04:47 PM
I don't really care at this point, it's at just about that time of the offseason when I'm ready to give away everything I own to see a fiery Pirates-Nationals match or something.

:thumbup: Excellent :)

Spitball
01-05-2007, 06:00 PM
I like a number one. I love to see pitchers work quickly and control the game by consistently getting ahead in the count. I also love to watch the art work of solid defensive play. Give me a Pedro-in-his prime versus a Maddux-in-his-prime anytime.

vaticanplum
01-05-2007, 06:04 PM
When it comes to games I attend, I say both - with these two caveats.

If I'm with my wife, I prefer the close pitchers duels. She prefers to people watch, with a small amount of chatting, so I pretty much focus on the game.

If I'm with my buddies, I prefer the slug match. We'll be having a few adult beverages, talking not only about what teams are on the field, but about every other major baseball issue going on that day/week/month/year. Those types of 10-9 are just perfect for that. I went to a game where Juan Cruz spotted the Pads 9 runs in the 1st inning this past year, and the game ended up 14-11 with Hoffman coming in to slam the door, with at least a handful of yard balls along the way. I went with two friends - probably one of the more entertaining baseball games I can remember going to in years.

Choice made in social context. Bingo, well-done.

WVRedsFan
01-06-2007, 02:41 AM
I like #2. I enjoy HRs, scoring and all that. Hopefully, it's the Reds hitting the HRs and scoring, but more often than not, it's been the other teams as the Reds seems to be feast for famine over the last few years.

I think, in 2007, we'll see a lot more games not be a slugfest due to the loss of some offense and the emphasis on defense. Time will tell if this was the correct direction.

camisadelgolf
01-06-2007, 05:26 PM
Personally, I find #2 a lot more relieving. #1 is nice, though--especially after drinking--but I find that nothing pleases me more than a good ol' #2 the day after a Skyline dinner.

Newman4
01-07-2007, 09:19 AM
I love pitcher's duels. I used to pitch and I think the first fundamental key to winning is having good pitching. (The Reds sometimes don't see eye to eye there) If you keep the other team from scoring then you have an excellent chance to win. In fact, I like any game where Reds pitchers pitch a good game. Winning 1-0 or 8-0 is a win either way.