PDA

View Full Version : Chris Reitsma signs with the Mariners....

jojo
01-05-2007, 03:26 PM
Scratch that one off of the list...

Per rotoworld:
Mariners signed RHP Chris Reitsma, who had been with the Braves, to a one-year, $2.05 million contract with a club option for 2008. He'll make $1.35 million this season. The 2008 option is worth $2.7 million and contains a $700,000 buyout.

Personally I don't get it because the Ms could've handled this need pretty easily in house..... I guess when your booty is on the line you'd rather go down with *proven* guys (the Vidros/Reitsmas) then with young, promising (i.e. think Snelling) and better.... Bavasi gets a big 'ole F....

This move doesn't kill them (though it sure doesn't help them either...its subtraction by addition). Ms fans have got to be asking themselves why?????

If you think Krivsky has had a bad off season thus far.....

Team Clark
01-05-2007, 03:46 PM
Better the M's than the Reds. What a bad contract for a guy that's probably suffered a career ending injury.

He's probably closer to home in Seattle. Another one of those "factors" that many 'Zoners do not think exists.

gm
01-05-2007, 05:13 PM
I'll probably see Chris beat the Reds this June

Red in Atl
01-05-2007, 05:18 PM
Thank god...the idea of him giving up bombs in GABP made me shiver...

Catch22
01-05-2007, 11:10 PM
Better the M's than the Reds. What a bad contract for a guy that's probably suffered a career ending injury.

He's probably closer to home in Seattle. Another one of those "factors" that many 'Zoners do not think exists.

I'm happy he didn't sign with the Reds too, although I will have to say that it has nothing to do with fears of his performance coming off of surgery. My feelings are based purely on the fact that it is alot easier for me to drive to Seattle for a weekend than Cincinnati.

The proximity to his home absolutley factored into the decision. He had other higher offers on the table from a couple teams, but took the Seattle offer mostly to get a change of scenery. He was really looking for a fresh start, and thought getting out of the NL and away from the mid-west/east coast would give him the best shot at that. Plus with his oldest daughter in school it is much easier for his family to travel back and forth between the two cities during the first part of the season while school is still in.

Sure, offering a pitcher coming off of surgery a contract of any type is rolling the dice, but I think the contract is actually pretty reasonable when you look at what a pitcher with 6+ years of major league experience could command in today's free agent market. From all indications, I think that Chris' arm condition effected his performance over the last couple seasons more than even he is willing to admit and his surgery has actually turned back the clock on his arm by a few seasons. He has told me that his arm feels the best it's been in over five years and he has regained a feel for the ball he hasn't had for the better part of two seasons.

From Seatlle's standpoint, you could argue that maybe they overpaid a little this year (I may not buy your argument - but you could try)- but if Chris can bounce back and perform like he knows he can then they are getting a killer deal on him for next year.

jojo
01-06-2007, 07:17 AM
From Seatlle's standpoint, you could argue that maybe they overpaid a little this year (I may not buy your argument - but you could try)- but if Chris can bounce back and perform like he knows he can then they are getting a killer deal on him for next year.

This is classic Seattle BS.....**local boy** overcoming adversity spun into the feel good hit of the summer for marketing purposes.....he'll be the bullpen's version of Willie Bloomquist (is there another reason he's getting paid whay he is?). They have several in house options with more upside than Reitsma that would work for league minimum. I suspect Reitsma's contract won't count against payroll but rather the FO will debit it to their marketing budget....

Team Clark
01-06-2007, 03:30 PM
I'm happy he didn't sign with the Reds too, although I will have to say that it has nothing to do with fears of his performance coming off of surgery. My feelings are based purely on the fact that it is alot easier for me to drive to Seattle for a weekend than Cincinnati.

The proximity to his home absolutley factored into the decision. He had other higher offers on the table from a couple teams, but took the Seattle offer mostly to get a change of scenery. He was really looking for a fresh start, and thought getting out of the NL and away from the mid-west/east coast would give him the best shot at that. Plus with his oldest daughter in school it is much easier for his family to travel back and forth between the two cities during the first part of the season while school is still in.

Sure, offering a pitcher coming off of surgery a contract of any type is rolling the dice, but I think the contract is actually pretty reasonable when you look at what a pitcher with 6+ years of major league experience could command in today's free agent market. From all indications, I think that Chris' arm condition effected his performance over the last couple seasons more than even he is willing to admit and his surgery has actually turned back the clock on his arm by a few seasons. He has told me that his arm feels the best it's been in over five years and he has regained a feel for the ball he hasn't had for the better part of two seasons.

Chris is a class guy and I will be rooting for him. I'm just not sold he can pitch more than 40-45 innings. I've been wrong before.