PDA

View Full Version : "That's Incredible" or "Real People"?

RBA
01-07-2007, 12:31 AM
Showing my age. Which show was better?

Danny Serafini
01-07-2007, 01:07 AM
Since I never saw Real People I'll have to vote for Fran Tarkenton and "That's Incredible!"

MrCinatit
01-07-2007, 01:19 AM
I liked Davidson and Tarkantan a lot - and I seem to remember having a boyhood crush on Cathy Lee Crosby.
Real people was okay - i do rememer Willard giving me some chuckles.
But, my vote goes with That's Incredible.

Yachtzee
01-07-2007, 02:02 AM
Well, Cathy Lee Crosby was hotter than Sara Purcell. Fran Tarkenton could beat the crap out of Skip Stephenson. However, Fred Williard is way cooler than that the velveeta-smooth John Davidson. Plus Real People had Peter Billingsley, a.k.a. Ralphie from "A Christmas Story." I call it a push. I remember enjoying both shows as a kid.

Dom Heffner
01-07-2007, 02:39 AM
Yikes. I'm the only vote for Real People. I loved Fred Willard, and still do. He's one of just a few people who makes me laugh on sight. The scene in Best in Show where he asks the serious British dog show commentator, "How much do you think I can bench press?" gets me everytime.

Or, "That man actually has two left feet."

Sara Purcell, Skip Stephenson, and Byron Allen, who I still occasionally see doing entertainment interviews (he's awful) were just great.

I got the feeling that much of That's Incredible was staged.

Yachtzee
01-07-2007, 03:20 AM
I got the feeling that much of That's Incredible was staged.

Yes. But Cathy Lee Crosby was hot. Ever see "Coach" (the movie, not the Craig T. Nelson show)?

Dom Heffner
01-07-2007, 03:23 AM
But Cathy Lee Crosby was hot.

I loved her at the time (I was maybe 10-12 years old) but looking back now, I dunno.

Sarah Purcell seems hotter now looking back.

I have not seen Coach the film.

UKFlounder
01-07-2007, 11:19 AM
I remember the shows, but don't recall if I preferred either one. I guess I'll go with Real People because I remember Skip Stevenson from it, but that's not much to go on

westofyou
01-07-2007, 11:25 AM
That's Incredible! was a television show that ran on the ABC television network from 1980 to 1984.

I was out.... I remember seeing That's Incredible only with the sound off and music blaring.

Redsland
01-07-2007, 12:08 PM
Davidson: "Folks, do not try this at home."

Falls City Beer
01-07-2007, 01:49 PM
Davidson: "Folks, do not try this at home."

Davidson looked like a male version of CL Crosby--and, well, vice versa.

Did you know? John Davidson was performing the night of the Beverly Hills Club fire in Ft. Thomas? (not to inject a dour note; just a bit of trivia).

redsfanmia
01-07-2007, 01:56 PM
Sarah Purcell was the real deal hottie on Real People, she was fine.

Ltlabner
01-07-2007, 01:59 PM
Did you know? John Davidson was performing the night of the Beverly Hills Club fire in Ft. Thomas? (not to inject a dour note; just a bit of trivia).

Don't want to hijack, but I vaguely remember watching the live news coverage of the fire. I don't remember any real details but we were at my Grandparents house for the Memorial Day weekend and we all sat quietly around the TV. Being 5 I really didn't understand the magnitude of the tragedy at the time.

TeamCasey
01-07-2007, 02:20 PM
Truth or Consequences! :)

BoydsOfSummer
01-07-2007, 03:19 PM
I really liked them both. No preference. I had some serious teenage lust for Sarah I do remember.

Unassisted
01-07-2007, 04:00 PM
That's Incredible was too slick for my taste. Real People was the funnier and more entertaining show.

westofyou
01-07-2007, 04:43 PM
Don't want to hijack, but I vaguely remember watching the live news coverage of the fire. I don't remember any real details but we were at my Grandparents house for the Memorial Day weekend and we all sat quietly around the TV. Being 5 I really didn't understand the magnitude of the tragedy at the time.

My folks went the week before.

Hap
01-07-2007, 04:45 PM
Sara Purcell was on my "list" when I was nine years old. I voted for Real People.

Nugget
01-07-2007, 08:52 PM
Wasn't Ripleys on around the same time too?

Yachtzee
01-07-2007, 10:47 PM
"That's Incredible" was also referenced by Black Flag in "TV Party Tonight!"

M2
01-07-2007, 11:48 PM
Real People, it was the original and Fred Willard is a genius. All That's Incredible had going for it was Yogi Kudu (and the TV Party reference).

On a related note, does anyone remember a trash sport show in the '70s where teams from various towns would compete against each in ridiculous contests (often involving large amounts of shaving cream)? I loved it, but for the life of me I can't remember the name of it.

Chip R
01-07-2007, 11:50 PM
On a related note, does anyone remember a trash sport show in the '70s where teams from various towns would compete against each in ridiculous contests (often involving large amounts of shaving cream)? I loved it, but for the life of me I can't remember the name of it.

That sounds vaguely familiar to me too.

Johnny Footstool
01-08-2007, 10:13 AM
That's Incredible had a higher percentage of ghost stories, "real" haunted houses, and near-death experiences. Hard-hitting journalism compared to the fluff on Real People ("Meet an 80 year-old tap dancer!")