PDA

View Full Version : Harang, Loshe, Ross File for Arbitration

reds44
01-13-2007, 01:18 PM
http://cincinnati.reds.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/news/article.jsp?ymd=20070112&content_id=1778566&vkey=hotstove2006&fext=.jsp

CINCINNATI (3) -- Aaron Harang, RHP; Kyle Lohse, RHP; David Ross, C.

JaxRed
01-13-2007, 01:19 PM
How about arbitration? :cool:

reds44
01-13-2007, 01:22 PM
How about arbitration? :cool:

:laugh:

Yes, that's it.

Handofdeath
01-13-2007, 01:27 PM
I think that Harang definitely deserves at least a 3 year contract with the Reds.
I'd like try signing Lohse and Ross and see if last year was a mirage or not. There's some real talent there in all three and honestly I'm not sure why the Reds haven't locked up Harang already.

Sean_CaseyRules
01-13-2007, 09:05 PM
Harang is going to be a KEY component in a year or two, when Homer comes up. Our rotation will be stacked!

Marge'sMullet
01-13-2007, 09:25 PM
Harang is going to be a KEY component in a year or two, when Homer comes up. Our rotation will be stacked!

stacked? No, it will just be nice to have 3 or 4 pitchers unstead of 1 or 2 that won't make you look bad. IMO, the key to teams with the Reds type money is to have 3 good starters and a killer bullpen, and a good defensive team instead of great batter because they seem to cost less.

Sean_CaseyRules
01-14-2007, 12:16 AM
[QUOTE=Marge'sMullet;1226688]stacked? [QUOTE]

What I'm talking about it having a Harang, Arroyo, Bailey and then The Lizard, who I think will come to be a good pitcher. 3 SOLID starters and if the Lizard can get his stuff together, and then Coffey as a set up man and Bray as a closer, yea I would call that stacked!

TOBTTReds
01-14-2007, 01:01 AM
[QUOTE=Marge'sMullet;1226688]stacked? [QUOTE]

What I'm talking about it having a Harang, Arroyo, Bailey and then The Lizard, who I think will come to be a good pitcher. 3 SOLID starters and if the Lizard can get his stuff together, and then Coffey as a set up man and Bray as a closer, yea I would call that stacked!

I'm so with you on this one, though I think we are a lonely group.

guttle11
01-14-2007, 01:14 AM
If Lizard's shoulder is ok, he can certainly be a solid #5 capable of winning 10 games or so. The fact that he's coming off a shoulder injury is reason for concern though.

I've liked him since day 1.

jmcclain19
01-14-2007, 04:39 AM
I've said this before and I'll say it again.

The most important signing the Reds can do this offseason is to get Harang inked to a 3 year deal.

kbrake
01-14-2007, 09:44 AM
I think its going to be very hard to get Harang to a deal. He sees what free agents are getting and he knows he has a huge payday coming. I think the Reds would have to blow him away to get him to sign anything more than a one year deal.

dunner13
01-14-2007, 11:33 AM
Then the reds need to blow him away. 4 yrs at 40 million.

paulrichjr
01-14-2007, 11:38 AM
Then the reds need to blow him away. 4 yrs at 40 million.

Unfortunately I think blowing him away would take more like 5 years $70 million after this past offseason. That might have been enough last offseason but things have changed for the worst.

TeamBoone
01-14-2007, 12:08 PM
There's some real talent there in all three and honestly I'm not sure why the Reds haven't locked up Harang already.

I don't really know either. The only thing I can think of is that every year they think his performance is an anomoly, in lieu of the fact that he is continually getting better.

Now that they've realized the latter, let's hope it's not too late.

kbrake
01-14-2007, 12:38 PM
Unfortunately I think blowing him away would take more like 5 years $70 million after this past offseason. That might have been enough last offseason but things have changed for the worst.

Exactly 4 yrs 40 mil would probably offend Harang and his agent at this point. Harang is quickly getting to the 18 mil range.

Falls City Beer
01-14-2007, 12:56 PM
Exactly 4 yrs 40 mil would probably offend Harang and his agent at this point. Harang is quickly getting to the 18 mil range.

Harang getting Zito money?

I don't think so. Not yet, anyway.

vaticanplum
01-14-2007, 01:07 PM
I don't really know either. The only thing I can think of is that every year they think his performance is an anomoly, in lieu of the fact that he is continually getting better.

I think they're just cheap.

Or...I think it's a good possibility that the Reds underestimated the money that would be thrown around for pitching (and not even particularly good pitching -- and Harang is good pitching). That's fair; I would think most of us didn't see these numbers coming. So either a) they thought they had enough time to spend money on Harng, because they didn't think he'd cost as much as he's going to, or b) they were waiting to see where else their money went, because they had genuine intentions of getting more pitching but realized once the contracts started being signed that they couldn't afford it. Either way, they're probably going to have to spend more to lock him up than they wanted to. I just hope that the latter aspect of things makes them realize how valuable Harang is to the Reds (I suspect they do know this).

On the other hand, there's also the possibility that the Reds HAVE tried to lock up Harang, at least informally, and he's not interested. A guy like that has a million -- possibly tens of millions -- of reasons to test the free agent market at this point. He's from/still lives in San Diego, right? That's a pretty fine place to pitch, and a team that may well be able to throw a good bit of money at him in a couple of years.

dunner13
01-14-2007, 01:54 PM
Harang is not eligible for free agency yet so hes not gonna get the same big money as zito. A contract comparable to lilly or meche is probably what it will take, yes harang is a much better pitcher. But hes not eligible for free agency and he is very under the radar. For whatever reason no one seems to recognize how good he actually does. So i do think 4 years at 10 to 12 million a year should get it done.

vaticanplum
01-14-2007, 01:56 PM
Harang is not eligible for free agency yet so hes not gonna get the same big money as zito.

He's only two years away. My point is that he's proven now that he's consistent and may be willing to take the gamble that someone will "notice" him in the next couple of years. is he underrated? yes. Are the Reds the only team who have noticed the numbers he puts up? No.

kbrake
01-14-2007, 01:56 PM
Harang getting Zito money?

I don't think so. Not yet, anyway.

If Harang was a free agent he would be close to Zito. The numbers are pretty close.

jmac
01-14-2007, 02:06 PM
If Harang was a free agent he would be close to Zito. The numbers are pretty close.
He's close numbers wise but not in name(yet).
As one magazine said , Harang won the "best season that no-one noticed" award.

Falls City Beer
01-14-2007, 02:14 PM

Perhaps, though he's never had a season as good as Zito's best seasons.

At any rate, some guys prefer to take security over waiting to see what happens two years off. A lot can go wrong in two years.

paulrichjr
01-14-2007, 02:16 PM

I honestly think he would not get Zito numbers because I'm not sure anyone would get those numbers but him. For some reason his name alone added at least 5-8 million a year to his contract. I think Harang will cost a lot more to sign than anyone on this board could imagine him getting just last summer but I don't think it would take a Zito contract to get it done.

AdamDunn
01-14-2007, 02:37 PM
5 year 70 million is a GREAT deal when it comes to keeping Harang. He and Bailey could be great No.1 and No.2 guys fo years to come. My guess is that the market for starting pitching will continue to zoom up... 5 year 70 million is WONDERFUL!

DoogMinAmo
01-14-2007, 02:59 PM
On the other hand, there's also the possibility that the Reds HAVE tried to lock up Harang, at least informally, and he's not interested. A guy like that has a million -- possibly tens of millions -- of reasons to test the free agent market at this point. He's from/still lives in San Diego, right? That's a pretty fine place to pitch, and a team that may well be able to throw a good bit of money at him in a couple of years.

I seem to remember an article last year on just that regarding Dunn, Harang, and possibly Kearns. The team approached them, but the players want to wait and see. That was until Dunn signed an LTC.

dunner13
01-14-2007, 03:24 PM
Didnt we traded kearns and lopez so that we wouldnt have to deal with giving them big money this offseason. So we had better have the money to lock up harang. If BC says he wants to win a world series then has to trade harang this year because they dont have the money, i will be really ticked.