PDA

View Full Version : Before Spring Training what area do you think the Reds need to improve the most?

Degenerate39
01-15-2007, 06:20 PM
Saw it on Cincinnatireds.com and was wondering your opinions. I'd rather see them get one more starting pitcher.

RedsManRick
01-15-2007, 06:34 PM
Where is the "lineup" option? Because that's where I think we're weakest right now.

Ben
01-15-2007, 06:54 PM
All of the above

reds44
01-15-2007, 07:06 PM
The lineup will be fine.
Bench will be fine.
Starting pitching is a concern, but the 2 aces and Loshe make it ok.
When we have leads, we can't blow them. There isn't a dominate closer on out team. So I voted closer.

Falls City Beer
01-15-2007, 07:19 PM
Starting pitching. It's the alpha, the omega, and the everything in between. If not fixed, it will be the salient downfall of this team.

IslandRed
01-15-2007, 07:33 PM
Starting pitching. It's the alpha, the omega, and the everything in between. If not fixed, it will be the salient downfall of this team.

I'll go along with that. I don't think we're going to land a front-line guy but just finding one more guy that can take the ball every fifth turn and keep us in ballgames will help a lot. I can buy the thought that Lohse will be decent and I can buy the idea that Milton might not be terrible, but how likely is it that both of those things happen at the same time? Can we find a #5 that keeps us in ballgames and doesn't force a Bailey callup out of desperation? Add a legit rotation piece -- even if he's only a #4 -- and all of a sudden, it's possible to envision a rotation without any designated Ls, and one that gets markedly better if Bailey gets a midseason callup and holds his own.

The other big task is switching Griffey out of center field, with Freel/Denorfia taking over out there. Based on some of the metrics I saw, the runs saved from that simple defensive swap is equivalent to signing a solid free-agent starting pitcher. And it won't cost us a thing.

mth123
01-15-2007, 07:58 PM
I voted Starting Pitching because it always needs to be improved and the other areas are less important or, in the case of Defense, OK if Griffey moves out of CF.

But if the offense was an option that would be my vote. Gonna be a lot of dead spots in that line-up.

Highlifeman21
01-15-2007, 08:20 PM
"Manager" should have been an option

remdog
01-15-2007, 09:06 PM
"Manager" should have been an option

As well as General Manager.

Rem

halmorris
01-15-2007, 09:12 PM
What issues do you have with the GM? He has only been here about a year. He needs more time to make it his team.

Bigredfan#1
01-15-2007, 09:38 PM
Closer!!

remdog
01-15-2007, 10:28 PM
What issues do you have with the GM? He has only been here about a year. He needs more time to make it his team.

Review my last 500 posts---you'll figure it out. :)

I'm willing to give Krivsky more time (I was backing him prior to O'Brien) but his basic approach to this off-season has been primarily to try to build a race car using a blueprint for a soap box derby racer.

IMO, the Reds, as bad as they may be, actually have a chance to win this division if they build upon the one strength that they had going into the off season: two solid starters. Add a third solid starter, a good closer and let the rest of the stuff fall where it may---it just might be enough. Instead, Wayne has acted like he's hosting a BBQ by shopping for the spices first and then not having anything left to spend on the steak.

Rem

Dracodave
01-15-2007, 11:05 PM
Starting pitching. If we can get a decent starter or two without giving up much, we have a very legit chance of contending this season.

I really think if we get a decent third starter things might fall into place pitching wise. We can experiment with the closer during Spring Training. Coffey, Bray, Salmon, Weathers, and Stanton should all get looks as the closer. They may not be dominate, but they can get us by if our starters can hold down some leads.

As for our line up, I really don't see a downfall if we can get a EVERYDAY line up like this.

Deno/Freel
Hatteburg
Edwin
Dunn
Griffey
Phillips
Ross
Gonzo

Jpup
01-16-2007, 01:02 AM
Starting pitching. If we can get a decent starter or two without giving up much, we have a very legit chance of contending this season.

I really think if we get a decent third starter things might fall into place pitching wise. We can experiment with the closer during Spring Training. Coffey, Bray, Salmon, Weathers, and Stanton should all get looks as the closer. They may not be dominate, but they can get us by if our starters can hold down some leads.

As for our line up, I really don't see a downfall if we can get a EVERYDAY line up like this.

Deno/Freel
Hatteburg
Edwin
Dunn
Griffey
Phillips
Ross
Gonzo

the lineup will look more like this, thus, the problem:

Gonzo ss
Phillips 2nd
Jr. center