PDA

View Full Version : Would any of these FA's make us better?

5DOLLAR-BLEACHERBUM
01-16-2007, 04:14 PM
With the market being so crazy this offseason big names have been off limits for the Reds. Here's a list of some free agents that may or may not be an upgrade to what we currently have. Would any of these be good pick-ups or not and why. I have listed my thoughts on a few of them.

Bernie Williams- Switch hitter, could fill in well if KGJ gets hurt, and could fill in in left or right. Also would be nice off of the bench if affordable. .281 average 12 hrs 61 rbi's, playing in gabp would help power numbers.

David Wells- Could we lure him back or is he SD bound for sure.

Steve Trachsel- 4.97 ERA 15-8 record with a pretty good team. Is he better than Lohse or Milton?

Arthur Rhodes- If he is healthy he fits the old man bullpen mold, not a bad set-up man.

Dustin Hermanson- Health issues, has closer experience, worth a shot if given an incentive based deal?

Tomo Ohka- has some good stuff, health issues kept him out last year in washington, most of Washingtons pitchers had some kind of arm trouble lately. Must be something in the water.

Mark Redman- 5.71 ERA but did win 11 games on a very bad team, id take 11 wins for the Royals over Trachsels 15 with the far superior Mets. I think he may be benifit from a team change.

Aaron Sele- 4.53 era, had a great may and june last year, but seems to always put up 5+ era year after year.

Pretty thin group to pick from, but a few could really help IMO, I would love to dee Bernie here, he's a music man and could hit the concert scene with Bronson.

edabbs44
01-16-2007, 04:21 PM
It sure is funny how, all off-season, the charter members of Wayne's World told all of us that:

"The off-season is a marathon, not a sprint"
"Wayne is just letting everyone overpay for mediocre talent and then he's going to pounce"
"It's only November...give him some time"
"Blah...blah...blah"

Take a look at the above list. The Cincy FO hoodwinked us again.

5DOLLAR-BLEACHERBUM
01-16-2007, 04:26 PM
It sure is funny how, all off-season, the charter members of Wayne's World told all of us that:

"Wayne is just letting everyone overpay for mediocre talent and then he's going to pounce"
"Blah...blah...blah"

Yea and in this marathon we are taking on the Kenyan Cross country Allstars

NJReds
01-16-2007, 04:27 PM
I don't think Bernie's got much left, and I don't think he's leaving the east coast. I always liked watching him play, though. Ohka's reportedly looking for a 3-4 yr. deal for upwards of $7M per.

5DOLLAR-BLEACHERBUM
01-16-2007, 04:29 PM
I don't think Bernie's got much left, and I don't think he's leaving the east coast. I always liked watching him play, though. Ohka's reportedly looking for a 3-4 yr. deal for upwards of $7M per.

Who's gonna pay him that kind of money?

Red Leader
01-16-2007, 04:32 PM

The Royals? ;)

redsmetz
01-16-2007, 04:44 PM

"Blah...blah...blah"

My first inclination is to say "Whatever". I've said most of those things. Honestly, I don't believe I've been hoodwinked. I see WK working to put together a team with the reality he's faced with - a reality of a limited (albeit an unstated amount) payroll, an exploding free agent market with few gems as it was. We're not the only team in that situation and it's still going to take time. I'm not sure why some think it can be done instantly, but so be it.

Would I be satisfied with the team as it is presently constituted? No, we've still got weaknesses to be addressed, but it is a work in progress and there still remain some weeks before breaking camp. I fully expect more moves.

I'm glad to see Krivsky knocking off the arbitration cases without hearings and am glad that he's only got Harrang to work on. I will say again that I think we've got options in the area of trades and I think we may see some additional player movement before spring training ends.

SultanOfSwing
01-16-2007, 04:48 PM
Tomo Ohka- has some good stuff, health issues kept him out last year in washington, most of Washingtons pitchers had some kind of arm trouble lately. Must be something in the water.

Ohka was in Milwaukee last year, not Washington. He played for the Nationals in the latter part of 2005.

edabbs44
01-16-2007, 04:50 PM
Yea and in this marathon we are taking on the Kenyan Cross country Allstars

Then don't enter the race until you are ready.

Why give AGon, Weathers and Stanton $8 million this season and $10 million next season if you don't think you can compete?

flyer85
01-16-2007, 04:57 PM
Outside of Ohka I would say no.

NJReds
01-16-2007, 04:58 PM

Apparently nobody - it's just what he wants. According to MLB.com:

RHP Tomo Ohka, Brewers
Jan. 14: Ohka spent last week in face-to-face negotiations with two teams, reported the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette. His agent told the New York Post that Ohka was still entertaining offers from four clubs, including two two-year contracts and two other one-year deals. The Pirates are among the two or three teams that have offered a two-year deal, reported the Pittsburgh Tribune Review. Ohka has been holding out for a three-year package.

Degenerate39
01-16-2007, 05:44 PM
Bernie wouldn't sign with Cincinnati he'll stay a Yankee or retire I bet.

MartyFan
01-16-2007, 07:20 PM

"Blah...blah...blah"

What FA's do you think he should have picked up? What FA's are the difference makers here in Cincy?

Everyone else did overpay...BIG TIME!

I think wayne will "pounce" but not through free agency. I think he'll make several more good to great trades..a couple of stinkers and he'll be the GM that put the reds back in the post season...is it this year? We'll see.

edabbs44
01-16-2007, 07:36 PM
What FA's do you think he should have picked up? What FA's are the difference makers here in Cincy?

Everyone else did overpay...BIG TIME!

I think wayne will "pounce" but not through free agency. I think he'll make several more good to great trades..a couple of stinkers and he'll be the GM that put the reds back in the post season...is it this year? We'll see.

Maybe everyone else did overpay...using 2003 salary numbers. It's 2007 and these salaries could be the norm. I'd rather pay $10 million for a pitcher with a sub 5 ERA (Lilly) than whatever they paid for Lohse.

My whole argument is don't pay decent money for stiffs like Weathers, Stanton and Gonzalez when you can use that money to put the team in a better position in the long run. Build the farm. Don't get a .299 OBP shortstop and aging relief pitchers. If you are not going to win this season, then what's the point of signing 40 yr old pitchers to multi-year contracts?

Keep waiting for WK to "pounce"...

TexasRed
01-16-2007, 07:44 PM
Seems like business as usual around the Reds FO as usual (meaning the last 10-15 yrs.). I want to know how they sold us on the idea that we are such a small market? Smaller than St Louis? I don't think so... Look at the Demo's.

DFA
01-16-2007, 07:53 PM
Bernie's weak arm really limit his defensive value, imo. As a baseball fan, seeing Bernie not in a Yankee uniform would be strange (though I hate the Yankees, I have a lot of respect for #51).

Arthur Rhodes seems like an interesting guy...the Reds had some success with Everyday Eddie, so maybe Rhodes could provide some bullpen depth similar to what Guardado did last year.

nmculbreth
01-16-2007, 08:49 PM
My whole argument is don't pay decent money for stiffs like Weathers, Stanton and Gonzalez when you can use that money to put the team in a beter position in the long run. Build the farm. Don't get a .299 OBP shortstop and aging relief pitchers. If you are not going to win this season, then what's the point of signing 40 yr old pitchers to multi-year contracts?

My thoughts exactly. In my humble opinion what this organization lacks most is a clear plan for success and that their inactivity is going to handicap the team in both the short and long run. After last year's performance this club had two options; the first was to be aggressive and acquire the pieces they need to compete now and the second was to start from scratch and build for three years down the road. Instead it looks like they've decided to do essentially nothing and merely hope for the best.

RedLegSuperStar
01-17-2007, 12:09 AM
I think we are better off without the list you mention.. I still would like a Deno and maybe a AA+ reliever traded to Florida for Petit and then signing either Trot Nixon or Craig Wilson

Jpup
01-17-2007, 01:28 AM
The Reds don't have any room for Trot Nixon in the lineup since he is left handed. Craig Wilson would be great but he's not coming to Cincy because he wouldn't have anywhere to play everyday unless they leave Jr. in center. Jeff Weaver is also out there, but I highly doubt either party is interested (that's good).

It's time for some big trades if Cincinnati wants to make a run this season.

Roy Tucker
01-17-2007, 08:51 AM
What is Craig Wilson's status?

Looking at the Reds' lineups, they seem one power bat short. At least one, maybe more.