PDA

View Full Version : Any C-Bus RedsZoners going to Winter Caravan stop at Flanagans?

redsfan1966
01-17-2007, 05:13 PM
What the heck...I may as well try this again....are any Columbus Redszoners going to the winter caravan stop at Flanagans on 1/25?? If there ever was a time for like minded fans to meet up this would be it....I was fortunate to meet up with Wheels, Redread, and Ochre for the All-Star game last season and had a good time...so if anyone wants to meet up for the stop--please post..

MartyFan
01-17-2007, 06:16 PM
I'm going to the one in Ashland! Got a show in that area the night before.

redsfan1966
01-17-2007, 09:21 PM
Have fun in Ashland...say hi to Marty for me....sorry I'll miss Marty on the northern leg...but look forward to welcoming the prodigal son to the Reds family..

wheels
01-18-2007, 12:23 AM
I'll be there.

What time does it start this year?

Caseyfan21
01-18-2007, 12:32 AM
I'll probably make it out again this year. Sort of disappointed we won't get Homer but Tom Browing and Thom B should be alright.

Sean_CaseyRules
01-18-2007, 09:55 AM
I will try and make it up there, its only about 45 mins away from where I live! Hope to see yall there!

scounts22
01-18-2007, 02:58 PM
I'm thinking about going, not sure yet though.

redsfan1966
01-18-2007, 07:23 PM
Wheels, Sean_Caseyrules, and Caseyfan21:

The caravan runs from 7-9pm at Flanagans--though I am looking to get up there early; like somewhere around 5:30...I have learned that if you dont get there early, you get bad seats and the line for autographs gets pretty long. My wife will be there with me as well, though she probably wont get there until 6ish..I know what wheels looks like--so if anyone else wants to figure out a way to know how to look for each other---I'm up for it...

wheels
01-18-2007, 08:13 PM
I don't go for the whole autograph thing.

I usually just walk right by that huge line of people and sidle up to the bar. If you find a good spot, you can usually chat with Marty and some of the other players when they go up for drinks. Marty and I drink the same thing, which I find amusing.

Sean_CaseyRules
01-18-2007, 09:43 PM
I'm about 6'3"-6'4" and lineman body! lol If I end up going, I'll be wearing my Casey jersey, Probably an Ohio State fitted cap (its my lucky hat). I don't know what else yall wanna know!

redsfan1966
01-23-2007, 08:16 PM
I just want to throw this back out there being that it is only two days until the Redlegs come to C-Bus....

Caseyfan21
01-25-2007, 02:32 PM
I'll probably be there tonight, maybe have some friends with me but I'm not sure. I'll probably be wearing my 1990 Barry Larkin jersey. Not sure when I'll get there though because I have a large amount of homework staring at me that I need to get done.

redsfan1966
01-25-2007, 04:10 PM
Well...for what its worth...I will be there about 5:30pm with my wife to join me around 6pm...I will be wearing a black Reds jersey...with a Reds FSN Ohio cap from a free hat day...and unfortunately I am short and round...he he...so if anyone wants to meet up..cool, if not, cool as well....GO REDS...

Caseyfan21
01-25-2007, 08:57 PM
I just got back from the caravan stop in Columbus. The autograph line wasn't even close to as long as last year but I skipped it this year. I was hanging around up front when the Reds people showed up and they were freely signing autographs so I got a picture with Thom and I got Tom Browning to sign my copy of his book. I asked him jokingly if he was going to have a sequel and he said "I would but I told every story I remember. I forgot all the other ones."

The Q & A was rather bland. I knew we might be in for trouble when the first question was "Is Lou Pinella going to come back to the Reds?"

There were a few good questions and I'll relay what I can remember. One of the guys near where I was standing asked point blank if Ken Griffey Jr. would be in centerfield on Opening Day. Jerry's response was that he would put Griff in the best place for him to stay injury free. Hopefully others there can comment but I read it as Jerry saying "I have a lot of respect for Griff and I won't move him myself but I'm hoping I can convince him to play right." Just my opinion but Narron never gave a firm answer - he danced around it and let it slide. Someone asked Thom if he thought Pete should be in the Hall. Both Thom and Browning gave definitive "Absolutely Yes as a player" answers.

I did like when Thom called out the fans and how attendance was barely 2,000,000 last year. I think he will be a lot like his father in not being afraid to say what needs to be said.

Someone asked about Larkin and Phil Castillini said that he thinks Larkin will not only be properly remembered with a ceremony or number retirement but he thinks Larkin will actually be back with the Reds in some capacity in the next few years. I was surprised he answered that one so directly - it seems like they are making a push to get Barry back in town.

Someone else asked if the Reds had any plans to make a network similar to what the Indians did and Castillini said they briefly considered it before deciding to sign with FSN again. He also encouraged people to email him about getting the Reds games broadcast of FSN in Columbus and said he's been trying to get FSN to do that as well. He said any emails he get will help to prove his case to FSN that people want to see the Reds. It seemed to me like the Reds kept emphasizing what a push they are making to mark Columbus as Reds Country. That's very refreshing to finally see.

Someone else asked something about Opening Day and why the Reds aren't the first game. Thom said that the Reds should feel lucky to have always opened at home and nothing was ever put into law saying they had to have the first game. Castillini said it's too bad the new ownership group wasn't around when the Reds stopped being the first game because they would have made sure it continued.

Narron seemed excited about the season as well as the players. He said Saarloos will battle for the 5th rotation spot and if he doesn't get it he will be in the bullpen. He also emphasized the Chad Moeller move was for depth and that he would have to absolutely play his way onto the team to make the Opening Day roster. I read his response as the team will have 2 catchers this year. He also commented on how the reason the Reds didn't make the playoffs in his mind was because they didn't hit down the stretch and the defense. He really seemed to like the roster as it stands now. He also strongly defended Dunn and even said it was a shame how he is always the whipping boy.

That's about everything I remember. I have a few pictures (hard to take too many because the lighting was low) and I will add them in a little bit when I get the chance.

redsfan1966
01-25-2007, 09:58 PM
Caseyfan21...I was there as well...I was the one, if you care, who asked about the Majewski situation--if the Reds were still looking to get some sort of retribution from MLB for getting damaged goods in Majewski...I agree that it is going to be a interesting summer listening to Thom this year on the radio broadcasts and that, yes, he is just like his old man in saying what is on his mind.

It did seem like attendance was lighter than last year's for this caravan stop...but the enthusiasm seemed on a higher level...I think fans are still looking forward to how the Castellini regime unfolds.

Props to Thom Brennaman and Todd Coffey for their hospitality with the fans on hand....Thom was gracious before the show with his time and Todd was the same afterward. Thom did get a little grief at the beginning from the crowd for being the lead announcer at the OSU-Florida football game...but gave it right back when a fellow OU alum asked a question and Thom called her "the smartest person in the room"...Let me finish by saying the Reds caravan is always a blast and compared to the Indians stop on Wednesday...a lot more fun.

PS...Thom also had no problem in taking shots at the Tribe as well in some of his comments...2007 should be verrrry entertaining...no offense to Steve Stewart; but it is now obvious why Reds brass made this move.

scounts22
01-26-2007, 08:33 AM
Thanks for the re-cap guys! The person I was going to go with ended up having to go out of town and I decided not to go by myself. I was going to ask someone to fill me in, but you beat me to the punch! Thanks again!

ochre
01-26-2007, 05:41 PM
I stopped by, but I was with some non-Reds fans from work looking to get something to eat. There wasn't anywhere to sit, so we went elsewhere.

Ron Madden
01-27-2007, 07:37 PM
What the heck...I may as well try this again....are any Columbus Redszoners going to the winter caravan stop at Flanagans on 1/25?? If there ever was a time for like minded fans to meet up this would be it....I was fortunate to meet up with Wheels, Redread, and Ochre for the All-Star game last season and had a good time...so if anyone wants to meet up for the stop--please post..

I have often wondered what ever happend to RedRead?

goreds2
01-27-2007, 08:42 PM
Thanks for the reports!