PDA

View Full Version : Liriano won't play in 2007

cincy09
01-19-2007, 02:22 PM
Played hurt and didn't tell anyone. Seems like a common problem among pitchers.

SANTO DOMINGO, Dominican Republic -- Twins pitcher Francisco Liriano isn't expected to play at all in the 2007 major league season after undergoing surgery on his left elbow last November.

"I won't start to throw until two months from now and I'll do my first bullpen work six months later," he told the Associated Press.

In his rookie season last year, the 23-year-old Liriano went 12-3 with a 2.16 ERA before pain in his elbow and shoulder knocked him out of the lineup. In November, doctors transplanted an elbow ligament in a procedure known as Tommy John surgery.

The Dominican native hopes to make his first appearance on the mound in October with the Escogido Lions, a winter league team in Santo Domingo.

Liriano said he started five times while feeling pain, which could have aggravated the injury.

"I decided to tough it out, even though now I know I shouldn't have," Liriano said.

Competing against Roger Clemens, a childhood idol, was one the highlights last season for Liriano.

"That was one of the most emotional games, especially because I was able to win thanks to God," he said.

AP NEWS
The Associated Press News Service

TeamSelig
01-19-2007, 02:46 PM
Its really rare to perform lights out with an injury... seems like usually a pitcher will start playing horrible when he normally isn't and come to find out he was hurt... it's pretty crazy that Liriano was hurt yet still had a 2 something ERA

flyer85
01-19-2007, 02:47 PM
should have left him in the pen for the remainder of the season. He hadn't thrown all that many minor league innings.

Topcat
01-22-2007, 10:26 PM
The true problem is that these kid's do not realize the value they have long term $$$$ wise. All to fast they are labeled not tough or gritty enough. Sadly many of the people in charge of there future's are callous and care about "their" career instead of the long term futures of the kids who put their trust in them.

cincrazy
01-22-2007, 10:53 PM
Agreed completely Topcat. Way too many GM's (although I don't think this was the case with Terry Ryan) will rush a guy that's not even close to the major's just to try and make a last ditch effort to save his own job.

Rex Argos
01-23-2007, 06:41 PM
The challenge becomes deciding if a kid is ready, and if he is ready--do you use him in the rotation or in the pen? That decision becomes much more difficult if the team is in a pennant race. Maybe we'll have this dilemma with Bailey this summer.