PDA

View Full Version : Castro and the Reds,not Juan

NNredsfan
01-22-2007, 10:34 PM
On C.S.I Miami tonight some dude said that Fidel Castro tried out for the Reds in the 1940's. Can anyone confirm that? I thought it was interesting. Who knows what would have happened if the Reds would have signed him.

Tom Servo
01-22-2007, 10:37 PM
http://www.snopes.com/sports/baseball/castro.asp

Degenerate39
01-22-2007, 10:52 PM
Imagine how different the world would be if he was a Red.

Handofdeath
01-22-2007, 11:26 PM
Imagine how different the world would be if he was a Red.

Was that a deliberate pun or something?:)

MartyFan
01-22-2007, 11:57 PM
Didn't the Reds stop calling themseleves the Reds during the late 40's and 50's because of the Communist conotations?

Tornon
01-23-2007, 01:11 AM
Isn't that when they became the redlegs?

dougdirt
01-23-2007, 01:51 AM
It is.

MrCinatit
01-23-2007, 07:31 AM
Ages ago, I read a baseball book which consisted of various short stories (Alibi Ike) and real-life stories.
One was written by a major leaguer, whose name I cannot recall right now.
I am going by memory here, but I seem to recall that the major leaguer was playing in Cuba, where a series of Cuban revolutionaries were in attendence.
One was Castro, who grabbed a bat in the middle of the game and attempted a few swings at the plate. I say "attempted," because the writer described Castro's performance as humorous and pathetic. From what he described, Castro had none-the-talent to be considered for a major league career.

RedFanAlways1966
01-23-2007, 08:00 AM
Along those same lines... many might be famaliar with this, but for those who do not know:

Randy "Macho Man" Savage

Born in Columbus, Ohio (Nov. 1952), Randy Poffo was a minor league baseball catcher in the St. Louis Cardinals and Chicago White Sox farm systems prior to his wrestling career. He injured his natural (right) throwing shoulder at one point so he learned to throw with his left arm instead.

He is a second-generation professional wrestler; his father Angelo Poffo was a well-known wrestler in the 1950s and 1960s, who was featured in Ripley's Believe it or Not for his ability to do sit-ups for hours on end. Randy's brother Lanny had a moderately successful career as a wrestler too most notably under the names "Leaping Lanny Poffo" and "The Genius".

Randy first broke into the business in the early 1970's during the fall and winter of the baseball off season. When he decided to abandon his baseball career he became a full time wrestler working with his brother and father.

Johnny Footstool
01-23-2007, 09:28 AM
Along those same lines... many might be famaliar with this, but for those who do not know:

Randy "Macho Man" Savage

Born in Columbus, Ohio (Nov. 1952), Randy Poffo was a minor league baseball catcher in the St. Louis Cardinals and Chicago White Sox farm systems prior to his wrestling career. He injured his natural (right) throwing shoulder at one point so he learned to throw with his left arm instead.

He is a second-generation professional wrestler; his father Angelo Poffo was a well-known wrestler in the 1950s and 1960s, who was featured in Ripley's Believe it or Not for his ability to do sit-ups for hours on end. Randy's brother Lanny had a moderately successful career as a wrestler too most notably under the names "Leaping Lanny Poffo" and "The Genius".

Randy first broke into the business in the early 1970's during the fall and winter of the baseball off season. When he decided to abandon his baseball career he became a full time wrestler working with his brother and father.

Ooooooo,yeeeaahhh!

5DOLLAR-BLEACHERBUM
01-23-2007, 09:36 AM
Bonesaw's the man

gm
01-23-2007, 07:33 PM
Who knows what would have happened if the Reds would have signed him.

And who knows what would've happened if a young Austrian named Adolf had been accepted into art school?

Matt700wlw
01-23-2007, 07:35 PM
Castro would be managing right now, perhaps.....

:eek: :yikes:

registerthis
01-24-2007, 09:40 AM
And who knows what would've happened if a young Austrian named Adolf had been accepted into art school?

Another urban myth.