PDA

View Full Version : Who is Going to Spring Training 2007?

deltachi8
01-23-2007, 01:56 PM
Figured I would start a thread for those hitting Sarasota this spring for your Cincinnati Reds.

I will be at the March 5 game vs. the Phillies. Also attending a Braves game at Disney (to my dismay, the girlfreind is a Braves fan) on March 3.

KittyDuran
01-23-2007, 02:02 PM
I'll be down the week of 3/10-3/17 (first "real" time at ST). [BTW, delta - got the Hyatt for two nights for $100/night and the Holiday Inn at Lido for four nights at $90/night thru Priceline. :thumbup:] I took the $1000 I got from my parents and put them into AAA Gift Cards (debit card) which is what I used to pay for the hotels.

BTW, is it better to get tickets before or after you get to Sarasota?

deltachi8
01-23-2007, 02:30 PM
I'll be down the week of 3/10-3/17 (first "real" time at ST). [BTW, delta - got the Hyatt for two nights for $100/night and the Holiday Inn at Lido for four nights at $90/night thru Priceline. :thumbup:] I took the $1000 I got from my parents and put them into AAA Gift Cards (debit card) which is what I used to pay for the hotels.

BTW, is it better to get tickets before or after you get to Sarasota?

The Hyatt is very nice - great rate for it, Kitty! Might have a few celeb sightings while there.

As for tickets, I have done it both ways. Depends on the demand for the game - for a yankee, red sox or tigers game, I would definitely buy ahead of time. A weekday game against say, the Pirates I don't think it will be as much an issue.

LawFive
01-23-2007, 06:12 PM
Not sure if I'll make it this year. Haven't found a good deal yet. Hotels seem to be outrageous lately...usually it's the flights that are nuts! Right now though, you can fly AirTran from DAY-TPA for $210 direct, RT.

redsfanfalcon
01-24-2007, 10:53 AM
Wish I could be going down again, but my spring break isn't until the week of opening day. I love going down to ST. You all will love it. My wife has a great aunt that lives there, so we just stay with her. I've always gotten tickets ahead of time, but there are always people that sell them there. I even got into a conversation once with Jim Thome's dad, and he offered me a ticket to sit with him once. I turned him down since I felt I didn't want to take advantage of him. Nice guy. There is a certain restaurant a lot of players hang out at, but I can't recall the name. Go to Bradenton also if you get the chance.

DannyB
01-24-2007, 05:21 PM
I stayed in Venice a couple years ago,its about 15 minutes south of Sarasota.
There are some low cost places to stay,one place (that I cant remember the name of)just over the bridge going into Venice had a little kitchen was $85 for weekend nights. It wasnt anything to write home about but it was clean.

DannyB
01-24-2007, 05:23 PM
Oh, and the snook fishing right under that bridge was excellent:D

bounty37h
01-25-2007, 03:41 PM
I have always just gotten tix day of games, and always had great, great seats. Of course, 2 trips down I was by myself, so getting one great seat is easier then 2 or more I suppose. I have gotten first row seats right on the dugout a few times, and last trip down (I was with 2 buddies this trip), we got seats right behind Chief Bender, and got to pick his ear a lil bit! I am still hoping to make it down this year, as I havent the last couple, but $ and time are looking kind of tight right now. Interesting lil tidbit, I think I have shared here before, the stadium is directly across the street from where my great grandmother lived and passed away. I had gone down there with my folks when she died-I was @ 5 or so maybe, to clean out her place. My dad and I went to spring training the first year in Sarasota a few years back, and as soon as we stepped out of the van, i had a weird feeling I had been there, said something, and my dads jaw dropped-he pointed and said thats where your great granmdother lived.

LawFive
02-25-2007, 03:47 PM
Just booked my trip! Had to go a little earlier than usual this year, but I'll be in Bradenton to see the Reds-Pirates on Sun 3/4 and in Sarasota vs. the Phillies on 3/5. Also...if you are looking to book but haven't yet, you may want to avoid 3/6-3/11. I was wondering why hotels were expensive (more so than usual) that week and found out it's because the ACC basketball tourney is in Tampa that week. Go before or after for a more reasonable lodging rate.

boognish
02-25-2007, 05:46 PM
I'm in Sarasota right now with a friend of mine who is into the Phillies (arrived this afternoon), and we will be shuttling back and forth between here and Clearwater for the remainder of the week.

Does anyone know when/if the Reds have open practices?

KittyDuran
02-25-2007, 06:14 PM
I'm in Sarasota right now with a friend of mine who is into the Phillies (arrived this afternoon), and we will be shuttling back and forth between here and Clearwater for the remainder of the week.

Does anyone know when/if the Reds have open practices?Do you mean open games or intersquad games? If yes, it's usually a few days before the ST game. So this year it might be the 27th or 28th.

JaxRed
02-25-2007, 06:30 PM
Just got back from watching my first Reds workout..... They have a small souvenir stand in the middle area now.

deltachi8
02-25-2007, 06:33 PM

Does anyone know when/if the Reds have open practices?

Might see you on March 5 - My GF and I are in section 2 on the first base side.

redsgabp
02-25-2007, 06:41 PM
Figured I would start a thread for those hitting Sarasota this spring for your Cincinnati Reds.

I will be at the March 5 game vs. the Phillies. Also attending a Braves game at Disney (to my dismay, the girlfreind is a Braves fan) on March 3.

i'll be at the spring training game in Dayton, ohio for the reds vs marlins.

if that counts???????????

boognish
02-25-2007, 08:40 PM
Do you mean open games or intersquad games? If yes, it's usually a few days before the ST game. So this year it might be the 27th or 28th.

Thanks!

Heath
02-25-2007, 09:24 PM
I'm heading to a Spring Training Game ............ with the Orioles. I'm on the Atlantic Side.

Oh well, not to worry. I think I'll be able to get a couple Reds games this year.

:D

redsfan1966
02-25-2007, 09:30 PM
i wish i could be there.....i m thinking about really making an effort to go to ST in 08....i was able to go about 12-15 years ago, and it is a blast to get a rental and hit all the ST sites along I-4