PDA

View Full Version : Hot Stove League show report

Chip R
01-24-2007, 09:06 PM
Here is the Reds Hot Stove League show report for 1-24-07. Marty started off the show by talking about the LaSalle Sports Stag going on tonight. Homer Bailey was named Reds Minor League Player of the Year at the Stag. Marty said Homer is the best Reds pitching prospect he has ever seen. Joey Votto was named Reds Minor League Hitter of the year and Johnny Cueto was named Reds Minor League Pitcher of the year. (Call me crazy but if Homer's the player of the year, shouldn't he be pitcher of the year too? :dunno: ) Marty said the winter caravan would start tomorrow. There will be some sort of send-off shindig at the Reds HOF and Museum Thursday morning at 9:30. Marty said that you can listen to selected caravan stops on Reds.com.

After commercial, Marty talked about the southern leg of the caravan. Marty then gave information on funeral services for Vern Rhule who passed away Saturday night. The service will be on Saturday, Feb 3 at noon at Incarnation Catholic Church in Sarasota. Donations can be mailed to the Vern Rhule Memorial Fund Inc % Northern Trust Attn: Jan Lincoln P.O. Box 4097 Sarasota, FL 34230.

The next caller asked Marty about the new uniforms and said he thought there was gong to be some blue in the uniforms. Marty said that story came out when it was first announced that there were new uniforms and he's not sure if they changed their minds or it was an erroneous report. The caller said he was disappointed in the uniforms and Marty said he loves them. The caller asked if the Reds have 3 catchers and 2 Rule 5 guys on the roster. (I guess he isn't aware of that old baseball adage: You can never have enough catchers and Rule 5 guys) ;) Marty said that they have to make the team and he would hate to see the Reds keep a player cause they paid $25K for him. He doesn't think they would keep them just for that purpose. The caller said that just boggles his mind.

After commercial the next caller expressed his condolences to the family and friends of Vern. Marty concurred. The caller asked Marty what he thought about the Sarloos and Bellhorn pickups. Marty said he likes the Sarloos trade because he's versatile. He said that Bellhorn was a surprise because he "strikes out for a living" (Adam Dunn is wondering where he can get a job like that) ;) He said he has good power but he's surprised he was signed with all the problems the Reds have had making contact. Marty said it is a minor league deal. He said he would be surprised if he made the team. The caller asked if the Reds are going to trade Dunn. Marty said if they were they would have done it by now.

The next caller also offered his condolences to Vern's family and asked if Vern was friends with Marty and Joe. Marty said he knew Vern pretty well and you couldn't find a better person than Vern. The caller said it kind of made him think of Fred Hutchinson (former Reds manager who died of cancer in 1964 for all you kiddies out there).

After commercial, the next caller asked if Homer and Cueto will make the club and be able to help the staff out. Marty said that we will see a lot of Homer in ST and hopes to see a lot of Cueto as well cause a lot of people in the Reds organization that think he may be ready quicker and may be more ready right now to pitch in the big leagues than Homer. (Remnants from the JimBo era, I presume).

After commercial the next caller asked why the Reds acquired Conine and Hamilton. Marty said Conine os an OF/1B and he's been part of a world championship team and though he's 40 he's a young 40. He said Hamilton is a Rule 5 pickup and thinks it would be the greatest story of the year if he were to make the team out of ST. Marty is skeptical since he's never played above A ball and he has the drug problem. The caller said he thought he'd be useful down the road. Marty explained that he has to stay on the roster all season if the Reds want to keep him.

The next caller said he was looking over the 40 man roster and he believes that either Wayne has a lot of trading to do or there will be some unusual names leave this club. Marty asked who. The caller said if you carry 12 pitchers and 3 catchers and Marty interrupted and said they won't carry 3 catchers (From your lips, Marty) The caller mentioned the Lizard and Shackelford. Marty said Lizard will be in the mix for the Number 5 spot and if he and Shack don't make the team they will be in Louisville. The caller said that if you count Conine as an infielder, and you already have Castro, Keppinger and Jerry Gil will have a difficult time making the club. Marty agreed. The caller said if Dunn, Freel and Jr, are starters, you have Deno, Hopper, Crosby and Hamilton fighting for a roster spot or two. He thinks Deno and Hopper are as ready as they will ever be. Marty agreed with that too

The next caller asked if Paul Wilson was coming back. Marty said he signed a minor league deal last week and he's such a great guy he'd love to see him pitch well enough to make the team. The caller said he thinks Wilson will give Milton competition cause Milton hasn't shown himself to be very good. Marty agreed that he has not been good.

The next caller asked about some pitchers the Washington Nationals released - especially Zach Day. Marty said he thinks Day signed with CLE. Marty said there is no way in hell that he would try to get anyone under contract to the Nats while JimBo is GM. He said he must have pictures of Stan Kasten cause he can't believe he still has his job. The caller asked about Hopper. Marty said he'll get a chance to make the team.

After commercial, the next caller said all he heard last year was how expensive it was to go to a game. He said he's been a season ticket holder for 7 years and he doesn't believe people realize you can bring in food and unopened non alcoholic beverages into the ballpark. He says it's more affordable than a movie. He said he buys a scorecard and that's about it. He also said that there's about a week left to buy season tickets at last year's prices.

The next caller said he has a few concerns about the Reds and said there is a lot of speculation and uncertainty around the team and asked Marty if the Reds were a stock would he buy, sell or hold. Marty said he'd buy. The caller asked about this year. Marty said that was a good question and said the division is wide open. He said the Cards, Cubs and Astros all made a lot of moves and spent some money but they lost some key people too. Marty again said that he likes the Brewers but they had high expectations last year and they didn't finish over .500. The caller asked if the Reds would pick up any players coming off those other teams. Marty said he didn't know. He believes as ST goes along, there might be some players available that aren't now and he's willing to give Wayne the benefit of the doubt since he picked up Bronson in ST last year.

Thus endeth the Reds Hot Stove League show report for 1-24-07. So let it be written. So let it be done.

goreds2
01-24-2007, 09:10 PM
Thanks for the report.

It was funny that "Rod" (from Tracy Jones EXTRA Innings) was the first caller tonight. "WELLLL Marty...." :laugh:

redsfan1966
01-24-2007, 09:55 PM
Chip R--

Thank you for tonite's report. I missed the Hot Stove League for the first time this season tonite. I actually attended the Indians caravan stop here in Columbus with my wife. I am a Reds fan and looking forward to the Reds caravan tommorow nite. But I have so much of an itch for baseball to start up I figured to go ahead and see what the Wahoos have up there sleeve for 2007.

Thanks again.

Redhook
01-24-2007, 10:09 PM
he doesn't believe people realize you can bring unopened non alcoholic beverages into the ballpark.

Wish you could take out the non in that sentence.

It'd be alot cooler if you could.

reds44
01-24-2007, 10:16 PM
Marty said that we will see a lot of Homer in ST and hopes to see a lot of Cueto as well cause a lot of people in the Reds organization that think he may be ready quicker and may be more ready right now to pitch in the big leagues than Homer.
That is VERY interesting. I think he has better control of his off speed stuff then Homer, but I had never heard of someone saying that before. Cueto is an interesting guy. Some see him as underrated, some see him as overrated. I am a Cueto fan personally.

CRedsLarkin11
01-24-2007, 10:17 PM
I take it this "young" 40 thing for Conine is going to be a recurring thing :p:

alexad
01-24-2007, 11:09 PM
I take it this "young" 40 thing for Conine is going to be a recurring thing :p:

I am 37 and my body feels like an old 37 so I am not sure how being 40 can be a young 40. But of course at 40 Conine gives me a little hope of still making it someday.....and yes I am the guy who had Santa Claus lie to me about getting Barry Zito......My grandfather always told me to never sit on another man's lap and to never ever believe a man with a white beard wearing a red suit. Buy hey my mind is a young 37 so there is still hope I can learn the lesson of life, but listening to Marty could cause serious brain wave damage.:help:

lollipopcurve
01-25-2007, 09:26 AM
thanks Chip -- interesting report

CySeymour
01-25-2007, 09:52 AM
How well do most of you think of Johnny Cueto? I looked at his minor league number so far, and he looks like a big time K pitcher with decent control. Anyone have any scouting reports on him?

membengal
01-25-2007, 09:58 AM
How well do most of you think of Johnny Cueto? I looked at his minor league number so far, and he looks like a big time K pitcher with decent control. Anyone have any scouting reports on him?

Bigklu:

The minor league forum has turned out to be a real resource for this kind of chatter, a quick search turned up this thread, it may answer a few of your questions:

http://www.redszone.com/forums/showthread.php?t=48114&highlight=Cueto

CySeymour
01-25-2007, 10:48 AM
Bigklu:

The minor league forum has turned out to be a real resource for this kind of chatter, a quick search turned up this thread, it may answer a few of your questions:

http://www.redszone.com/forums/showthread.php?t=48114&highlight=Cueto

Yup....thanks mem. After I posted that I kicked myself for not checking the minor league section first.

Heath
01-25-2007, 11:10 AM
Marty didn't shill season tickets. What gives?

Chip R
01-25-2007, 11:16 AM
Marty didn't shill season tickets. What gives?

Too busy shilling the caravan.

cincy09
01-25-2007, 11:47 AM
As always thanks Chip. Much easier to read your version than to listen to some of the outragous comments from the callers.

BCubb2003
01-25-2007, 12:25 PM
Jeff Conine must have a picture of Frank Robinson in his attic.

hippie07
01-25-2007, 12:31 PM
Just wanted to say I enjoy your transcripts - keep up the good work!