PDA

View Full Version : ESPN Hires Frank Robinson

redsmetz
01-24-2007, 09:09 PM
Found this on the Washington Post's website

ESPN Hires Frank Robinson As an Analyst
Thursday, January 25, 2007; Page E02

ESPN announced yesterday that it has hired former Washington Nationals manager Frank Robinson as an analyst during spring training and the first two weeks of the season, part of the cable network's efforts to celebrate the 60th anniversary of Jackie Robinson becoming the first African American to play in the majors.

Frank Robinson, who found out earlier this month that the Nationals would not offer him a paying job, enjoyed a Hall of Fame career as a player before he became the sport's first black manager in 1975. He did not return a phone call seeking comment on his post yesterday.

"He lived through the segregated society, was directly impacted by Jackie's heroism and was inspired to continue Jackie's legacy by breaking the manager barrier," ESPN coordinating producer Dave Roberts said in a statement. "Our fans will benefit from Frank's insight, anecdotes and history."

ESPN said it would use Robinson, 71, as an in-studio analyst on several of its shows, including "SportsCenter," "Baseball Tonight" and "Cold Pizza" as well as on the ESPN news network. Robinson also will appear on some spring training game broadcasts and have roles on the radio and the network's Web site. His participation will end with Jackie Robinson Day, April 15 -- the anniversary of Jackie Robinson's debut with the Brooklyn Dodgers

harangatang
01-24-2007, 09:12 PM
I could see someone like the Reds improving with Robinson in some capacity within their organization.

deltachi8
01-25-2007, 10:12 AM
The big Question is will Robby now have to learn a cathc phrase....

Joseph
01-25-2007, 10:17 AM

'That's not old school' [when seeing a highlight of Adam Dunn striking out, or Barry Bonds using his armor to lean in to a pitch]

There is his catch phrase.

11larkin11
01-25-2007, 03:19 PM
Hmm, maybe we could trade Brantley back to ESPN for him.

George Anderson
01-25-2007, 03:33 PM
Hmm, maybe we could trade Brantley back to ESPN for him.

Well if Frank doesnt work out they could always replace him with either Milt Pappas, Jack Baldschun or Dick Simpson. Hey it worked great once didnt it??:rolleyes:

Chip R
01-25-2007, 04:00 PM
"So, Frank, what do you think about the Nationals?" :eek:

gm
01-25-2007, 04:07 PM

"He knows how to play baseball the right way" (or is that one taken?)

deltachi8
01-25-2007, 04:12 PM
"He knows how to play baseball the right way" (or is that one taken?)

Aparently by Wayne and Jerry

Ltlabner
01-25-2007, 04:32 PM
"I'm an old 70".

Or whatever his actual age may be.

GoGoWhiteSox
01-25-2007, 08:57 PM
I would love to see his comments on Angels manager, Mike Scoscia (sp?)

Hubba
01-25-2007, 09:25 PM
I would love to see his comments on Angels manager, Mike Scoscia (sp?)
Frank has a lot of hate.

TOBTTReds
01-25-2007, 10:47 PM
This is gonna be ugly. I like how ESPN is celebrating Jackie Robinson, then letting Frank go after two weeks. Classy.