PDA

View Full Version : Reds losing quality Louisville radio affiliate?

ikkirus
01-24-2007, 09:50 PM
Did anyone hear on 790 AM this morning the news about the Reds radio affiliate? I had heard last week that 790 had signed a contract to become the home of the Bats. Since they are occasionally preempted anyway and moved over to 1080 am, seems reasonable that they would move there for their permanant home, right?

Heard this morning that they will be moved to 101.7 FM out of Shelbyville. As soon as I heard the news, I flipped over to the station. All I heard was more or less static. Even on the eastern side of the county that borders Shelby county, I could barely pick up the signal.

I have seen no news postings on it, but was stated on the Bob and Will show this morning on 790. I encourage those of you in Louisivlle and the surrounding area to call the Reds media relations and complain as we did today. They will re-direct your call to the local affiliate or to Clear Channel. But, they need to hear a lot of complaints to do anything about it.

MartyFan
01-24-2007, 09:56 PM
They may be loseing the big guns but frankly it could work out better for them because they can pick up additional stations to cover the same ground...advertisers of syndicated and affiliate programs really do not care what size a signal is...they are more interested in the toal number of affiliates...could be a good thing for the team and ad revenues.

redsfan1966
01-24-2007, 09:59 PM
Call me paranoid...(hello, paranoid)...but could this be a harbinger of things to come??? I can very well see a day when MLB clubs pull games off of affiliates to run up support for their XM baseball package, which I have, but still like to be able to hear the local affiliate for the Reds here in Columbus--especially when you consider XM only airs the announcing teams for home games....

gilpdawg
01-24-2007, 11:17 PM
Isn't WLW loud and clear in Louisville? I know when I used to visit my Grandma in Lancaster back in the day, that WLW didn't start to fade until around Somerset, and I think that's farther away than Louisville is.

GOREDSGO32
01-25-2007, 01:00 AM
This SUCKS if true. I live in Louisville and listen to all the Reds games, and this is horrible if its been switched to an low signal station. This is what they did with TV here when the UPN/WB merged to create the CW network. For some reason CW chose the Louisville affiliate of the two that previously broadcasted WB, which gets practically no signal in the city. This is fine if you are one of the 99% nowadays that has cable, but I don't at home. Not that I watch the channel much, just an example of what is annoying with these station switchovers. I like the Bats, but jeez ... they still are minor league, and winning or losing isn't that major of a deal in the minors.

I really don't want satelitte radio, and even if I did get it, its unfortunate XM has it locked down since all the other major sports are on Sirius, including the University of Louisville and NCAA Tournament games and such. Blah, this sucks.

Jpup
01-25-2007, 01:46 AM
XM Radio.:)

Jpup
01-25-2007, 01:47 AM
Isn't WLW loud and clear in Louisville? I know when I used to visit my Grandma in Lancaster back in the day, that WLW didn't start to fade until around Somerset, and I think that's farther away than Louisville is.

I'm an hour and a half away from Somerset and, at least, 2 hours South of Louisville and I can pick up 700 most of the time. It gets rough at times, but I can still hear it.

Like I said above, XM is the answer.

WVRedsFan
01-25-2007, 02:02 AM
I'm an hour and a half away from Somerset and, at least, 2 hours South of Louisville and I can pick up 700 most of the time. It gets rough at times, but I can still hear it.

Like I said above, XM is the answer.

When XM got hte baseball contract, I was totally pumped. Why? At night,it was no problem picking up WLW, but day games were not available since the 4 somewhat local stations we used to have quit carrying the Reds. I haven't looked back since.

If you can't pick up 700 early here, you go with XM even if it's the opposition's announcers. Once darkness cuts in, you go to WLW. Either way you get the game for about $13 a month. Plus you get a lot of good programming.

Sorry, I love XM.

ikkirus
01-25-2007, 07:50 AM
700 can be picked up in Louisville, often dependant on the weather. But by no means is it clear. I have XM and like the MLB package....however, that would mean 81 games of the opposing play call. Plus, XM is not all that portable. Even the on-the-go systems aren't really real-time last I heard.

Being one of their largest markets and the home of the AAA affiliate, you would think that they would want a powerful affiliate reaching the population. They are basically cutting off nearly 1 million people from hearing thier broadcast....at least with a clear play by play call.

Heath
01-25-2007, 08:54 AM
When you have WLW's power behind you, you do get lopped off the map within listening range. Dayton carries Reds games on 980 WONE, which probably has the biggest signal in the area. They used to be on small-wattage 1290 WHIO which fades in and out like a Phil Niekro Knuckleball.

When you have Clear Channel affliation (re: dictatorship - sorry Matt) some guy with a desk job outside of your area figures what station gets what programming. I think they only do it to show that they are busy doing something else.

goreds2
01-25-2007, 12:25 PM
XM Radio.:)

OR

thegamelive.com