PDA

View Full Version : Coffey wants another shot at the closer's job.

HumnHilghtFreel
01-28-2007, 12:04 PM
http://www.dispatch.com/reds/reds.php?story=dispatch/2007/01/26/20070126-F7-01.html

I just noticed this story this morning.

It should be interesting to see how Narron handles this in spring with all the competition for the job.

mth123
01-28-2007, 12:21 PM
Coffey is the best guy in the bullpen to close. He's also the best guy for the 8th or the 7th. IMO he is the only guy in the pen presently who isn't either suspect (Bray, Majewski, Belisle, Stanton) or a real liability (Weathers, Cormier).

The Reds shouldn't be trading off young bullpen prospects without getting a real upgrade somewhere. In the new market these interchangeable bullpen parts are too expensive and just as likely to be terrible. Having a large supply of younger ones allows a team to go through a lot of guys to find a good one without it costing $10s of Millions in salary and an overpayment in talent as acquisition cost.

max venable
01-28-2007, 12:29 PM
Coffey is the best guy in the bullpen to close.

Yeah...exept that he was HORRIBLE as a closer last year.

reds44
01-28-2007, 12:32 PM
http://www.dispatch.com/2007/01/26/20070126-Pc-F7-0800.jpg
:bang:

I hope that's not it.

Falls City Beer
01-28-2007, 12:43 PM

That's much more of a testament to how bad the overall bullpen was last year than how *bad* Coffey was at closer.

Coffey had a mere handful of innings to *prove* himself at closer last season. What I do know is that only one or two pitchers in the bullpen recorded huge strikeouts in tough situations last season: Guardado and Coffey. Whether those Ks came in the 9th or not, I don't know, and don't much care.

Tom Servo
01-28-2007, 12:48 PM
Before reading the article I would have said a flat "no" to the idea of Coffey as closer again, prefering to keep him as the set-up man, but now I'd have no problem with it. I remember at the time someone here noting that Todd seemed like a long-tailed cat in a room full of rocking chairs when he was closing games, and he basically admitted it here. If he can get the mental part of it down I think he could be a perfectly fine closer.

Always Red
01-28-2007, 12:54 PM
First of all, competition is a good thing.

For all the grief Krivsky has taken for being a "middle-relief connaisseur," the bullpen is much deeper than it was going into spring training last year, with the exception of the glaring hole at the closer role. If you keep all the long, middle, and 8th inning guys where they are now, and add a closer, this is a pretty darn good bullpen, IMO.

But, if like last year, Narron has to start moving guys into positions they're not used to pitching in (ie-out of their usual role), then bad things tend to happen.

IMO, not going out and getting a guy specifically to close, means the Reds don't think they will win this year. Either that, or they're counting on Not-quite-Everyday Eddie to make a quick comeback.

I'd give Coffey another shot at closing. Overall, he pitched very well last year (so did Weathers, IMO). He did falter in the closing role, and was switched out of it rather quickly. Give him a shot at it occasionally this year; if he falters again, move him back.

I can't see Stanton and Weathers closing all year; something else is going to happen, maybe at the ASB.

mth123
01-28-2007, 12:55 PM

And he would likely have the same problems this year.

When Coffey went to the closer's role last year, there was no one to get the game to the 9th with the lead. The result was that Coffey was worked so irregularly that he was not effective.

I think the Reds would have similar problems with this pen getting to the 9th with the lead unless Coffey is the guy to do it. I have some hope for Bray and even Majewski and am praying that Stanton has one more good season in him, but I don't really believe that all three will be assets. If 2 are, then the Reds may be able to get by if they get a lot of innings from Harang and Arroyo.

Put Coffey on a better team with more regular work in the closer's role and I think he would do a fine job.

Redlegs
01-28-2007, 12:57 PM
He was a different guy under the pressure of the closer's role last season. It takes mental toughness to be a good closer, day in and day out. With experience, I think Coffey would come through.

Krusty
01-28-2007, 01:05 PM
Give him the ninth inning in those spring training games and see how he handles it. Then take your chances at the beginning of the season.

Whoever gets the job will keep the seat warm till Guardado is ready to go at the allstar break.

RedsManRick
01-28-2007, 02:34 PM
While I'd love to see Coffey close for numerous reasons, I have to have a somewhat sinister reason for keeping him in middle relief -- arbitration. Your basic "reliever", no matter how dominant, simply won't get the numbers in arbitration that a "closer" will get. Closers get stupid expensive in arbitration and I want Coffey to be around for a while.

Personally, if I had 2 pitchers, a dominant reliever and a David Weathers type, I'd use the dominant guy as a high leverage relief "ace" and David Weathers as my everyday closer. I think a model with Coffey & Bray as the high leverage R/L combo and Weathers & Stanton as the R/L closer combo makes sense for us.

redsmetz
01-28-2007, 02:44 PM
And he would likely have the same problems this year.

When Coffey went to the closer's role last year, there was no one to get the game to the 9th with the lead. The result was that Coffey was worked so irregularly that he was not effective.

I think the Reds would have similar problems with this pen getting to the 9th with the lead unless Coffey is the guy to do it. I have some hope for Bray and even Majewski and am praying that Stanton has one more good season in him, but I don't really believe that all three will be assets. If 2 are, then the Reds may be able to get by if they get a lot of innings from Harang and Arroyo.

Put Coffey on a better team with more regular work in the closer's role and I think he would do a fine job.

My thought on Stanton has been that with a two year deal, if he has a good year this season, we can move him next in the middle of the contract. I'm also hopeful that Bray and Majik will prove to be useful pick-ups, showing the value the team was seeking last year.

KronoRed
01-28-2007, 05:47 PM

I hope that's not it.

Hey Dunn 5th, that's familiar ;)

Jpup
01-28-2007, 07:14 PM

I hope that's not it.

switch Hatteberg and Phillips and that is what I expect.

reds44
01-28-2007, 07:23 PM
switch Hatteberg and Phillips and that is what I expect.
If they do that and put Griffey in RF I would be happy.

Jpup
01-28-2007, 07:26 PM
If they do that and put Griffey in RF I would be happy.

and switch Dunn and Jr. in the lineup.

reds44
01-28-2007, 07:29 PM
and switch Dunn and Jr. in the lineup.
Oh yeah, that too. My bad.

Highlifeman21
01-28-2007, 07:51 PM
Give him the ninth inning in those spring training games and see how he handles it. Then take your chances at the beginning of the season.

Whoever gets the job will keep the seat warm till Guardado is ready to go at the allstar break.

Who will Coffey realistically face in the 9th innings of ST games? I'd rather he be brought in for situations earlier in ballgames to get anywhere from 3 to 6 guys out in the meat of the opposition's lineup. It's ST, only the last week do you really get a feel for your team and the rest of the teams.

Jpup
01-28-2007, 11:58 PM
give him a shot. what's there to lose?

HumnHilghtFreel
01-29-2007, 04:39 AM
give him a shot. what's there to lose?

Games:)

Jpup
01-29-2007, 05:39 AM
Games:)

aren't we used to that anyway?

sloucho
01-30-2007, 12:10 AM

He's still very young, and one thing you learn in that role, is to not "overpitch".

He mentioned that specifically, which marks his maturity to me.

But, you got to prove it on the field, that's for sure.

tripleaaaron
01-30-2007, 02:06 AM
The fact that he is coming out and saying he has learned, and WANTS to be the closer tells me to give him a chance, closing games takes a different mentality and weathers has said himself he is not a closer, but would pitch where needed, so give him a shot, if he has in fact learned the art, we will have one of the best closers in the game, possibly for years to come.

sloucho
01-30-2007, 06:44 PM
While I'd love to see Coffey close for numerous reasons, I have to have a somewhat sinister reason for keeping him in middle relief -- arbitration. Your basic "reliever", no matter how dominant, simply won't get the numbers in arbitration that a "closer" will get. Closers get stupid expensive in arbitration and I want Coffey to be around for a while.

Personally, if I had 2 pitchers, a dominant reliever and a David Weathers type, I'd use the dominant guy as a high leverage relief "ace" and David Weathers as my everyday closer. I think a model with Coffey & Bray as the high leverage R/L combo and Weathers & Stanton as the R/L closer combo makes sense for us.

Well that makes sense financially, I think you have to think of the moral of the bullpen though, and how much chaos that would create. For a guy, who knows he is better than the closer, being stuck in middle relief would definitely cause problems. With Coffey, you can say, "well, son, you are going to have to beat out Weathers", and wait until you sign him, and then let him close, but if the middle relief guy is unhittable, before you can lock him up, I don't see how you hold him back from being promoted. Right now, Coffey isn't "dominant" enough to even be upset about not being a closer, but I can see your point.

I guess it is rather sinister, and I don't think you could do it, but it's a good idea, if you could get away with it.

Eric_Davis
01-31-2007, 01:24 AM
I'm glad to hear he's that confident about his ability. Hope he proves it in whatever role he happens to earn.

mroby85
02-01-2007, 10:30 AM
In my opinion Todd Coffey should just be making a statement that he wants a spot in the bullpen after how bad he was the last part of the season. I realize before someone corrects me that he obviously has a spot because of how weak this bullpen is, but i definately don't believe he deserves another shot at closer, he was like the 2nd coming of Danny Graves.

RedsManRick
02-01-2007, 11:04 AM
In my opinion Todd Coffey should just be making a statement that he wants a spot in the bullpen after how bad he was the last part of the season. I realize before someone corrects me that he obviously has a spot because of how weak this bullpen is, but i definately don't believe he deserves another shot at closer, he was like the 2nd coming of Danny Graves.

Are you referring to his 3.66 post ASB ERA? Perhaps his 2.45 ERA in September? Coffey had a rough summer June-August, but was great in the spring and late summer. In fact, he was better after the ASB based solely on his peripherals.

Redsland
02-01-2007, 01:45 PM
...he was like the 2nd coming of Danny Graves.
The Danny Graves who holds the team record for career saves?

mroby85
02-01-2007, 11:35 PM
yea, danny graves was great wasn't he? do you ever figure in blown saves? graves was pathetic, he was overrated his whole time here, and anyone here that even watched the reds last season would know that when it mattered and todd coffey was put on the spot he got torched.

44Magnum
02-02-2007, 10:25 AM
I would give Coffey another shot at the closer's role.

mroby85
02-03-2007, 12:26 AM
I wonder if Bill Bray could eventually fill that role, he has some wicked stuff, i don't think he's ready for it yet, but i also don't really think anyone in their bullpen is.

Enrico Pallazzo
02-03-2007, 01:13 AM
What about Everyday Eddie? When can we see him back? Could Coffey potentially hold the fort until then and shift back to a 7th 8th inning guy? If Eddie gets back anywhere near midseason half the bullpen should be broken down anyway leaving a spot open for a non-geriatric like Coffey.

max venable
02-03-2007, 03:41 PM
The fact that he is coming out and saying he has learned, and WANTS to be the closer tells me to give him a chance, closing games takes a different mentality and weathers has said himself he is not a closer, but would pitch where needed, so give him a shot, if he has in fact learned the art, we will have one of the best closers in the game, possibly for years to come.

Of course he's going to say he wants the closer's role. Closers make more money and chicks dig 'em. Unfortunatly wanting the job and doing the job are two different things.

mroby85
02-03-2007, 11:45 PM
Amen!!!

HumnHilghtFreel
03-05-2007, 06:49 AM
Just saw this while perusing Rotoworld, so I figured I'd update this thread.

Todd's working on adding a pitch to his repertoire.

"Todd Coffey – Coffey wants to incorporate a splitter to go with his fastball and changeup. He also wants to wrest the closer job away from Dave Weathers, Mike Stanton, and Bill Bray. Coffey's peripherals weren't great in '06 – 9.8 H/9, 0.8 HR/9, 3.1 BB/9, 6.9 K/9. Solid numbers, but not closer stuff. He's shown glimpses of much better control and a stronger K rate in his history. He and Bray should out-pitch Weathers and Stanton."