PDA

View Full Version : If There Was One Player You Could Have...

Krusty
01-28-2007, 01:06 PM
If there was one player you wish the Reds could have acquired either in a trade or free agency at a reasonable price, who would that be?

mth123
01-28-2007, 01:09 PM
If its just a hypothitical then Johan Santana wins hands down.

If its about guys who were actually available then Jason Schmidt.

dman
01-28-2007, 01:16 PM
K-Rod (Francisco Rodriguez)

Highlifeman21
01-28-2007, 01:42 PM
David Dellucci via FA

Grady Sizemore via trade by sending Freel, Cueto, Wood and whatever else it took to get him. Add in Bailey and get Victor Martinez coming down to the Queen City.

UC_Ken
01-28-2007, 01:50 PM
If its just a hypothitical then Johan Santana wins hands down.

If its about guys who were actually available then Jason Schmidt.
Santana would be the obvious choice. If not Santana then I'd have to go for Halladay.

For a position player I'd love to see Beltran in CF.

wheels
01-28-2007, 02:09 PM
Lance Berkman playing first base.

He and Dunn in the same lineup would probably force me to move to Cincy and purchase season tickets.

I'm not kidding.

Redhook
01-28-2007, 02:09 PM
Pujols......for Griffey, Milton, Votto, and Wood.

A man can dream right?

Seriously, I know they wouldn't do that, but what if we included Chad Moeller? It'd be tough to pull the trigger on that one, but I think the reward would out weigh the risk ;)

jojo
01-28-2007, 02:13 PM
Grady Sizemore via trade by sending Freel, Cueto, Wood and whatever else it took to get him. Add in Bailey and get Victor Martinez coming down to the Queen City.

I just don't see any trade permutation the Reds could offer that would get Sizemore that wouldn't be too painful to bare. Over the next five years, Sizemore is projected to cost about $1M/win at a premium position on the diamond (and its alot of wins yet its a projection he could easily beat). A phone call mentioning Sizemore and Freel, Cueto and Wood get's triaged by Shipiro's secretary.

Jaycint
01-28-2007, 02:18 PM
I'd take me some Roy Oswalt. Dude's a bulldog.

1. Oswalt
2. Harang
3. Arroyo

That's the makings of a pennant winning rotation right there.

VI_RedsFan
01-28-2007, 03:12 PM
Brandon Webb, with Lance Berkman a close second.

Topcat
01-28-2007, 03:28 PM
Ryan Howard would be my choice. If it was thru free agency I would loved Jason Schmidt.

dunner13
01-28-2007, 04:22 PM
I would probably want the best young pitchingp prospect in baseball....wait we already got him. I'll take miguel cabera then.

EddieMilner
01-28-2007, 04:33 PM
1. Joe Mauer
2. Albert Pujols
3. Ichiro
4. Johan Santana

justincredible
01-28-2007, 04:43 PM
Brandon Webb
Carlos Beltran
Miguel Tejada

Natty Redlocks
01-28-2007, 04:45 PM
Bubba Crosby. But that's just a pipe dream.

Dracodave
01-28-2007, 04:49 PM
Options I would have looked at via trade..

Ryan Garko
Casey Blake
Jason Michaels
---------------
Kevin Corriea
Brad Hennesy
Jesse Fopert

Options through free agency..
Trot Nixon
Jason Schimdt
Tony Armas JR

Then if that failed, I'd look for some international talent that we could sign on the cheap

schroomytunes
01-28-2007, 04:50 PM
Well if its based on anyone in the league then here's my top 3
1. Johan Santana
2. Lance Berkman
3. Justin Morneau

If its based on Free Agents than
1. Jason Schmidt
2. Barry Zito
3. Alfonso Soriano

CRedsLarkin11
01-28-2007, 04:57 PM
Johan Santana, David Wright, Ryan Howard, Alfonso Soriano, Miguel Cabrera

Spitball
01-28-2007, 05:19 PM
Johan Santana followed by Justin Verlander, Felix Hernandez, Jon Papelbon, Francisco Liriano, and Joel Zumaya.

Spitball
01-28-2007, 05:27 PM
I just don't see any trade permutation the Reds could offer that would get Sizemore that wouldn't be too painful to bare. Over the next five years, Sizemore is projected to cost about $1M/win at a premium position on the diamond (and its alot of wins yet its a projection he could easily beat). A phone call mentioning Sizemore and Freel, Cueto and Wood get's triaged by Shipiro's secretary.

Jojo, before you throw "permutation" and "triaged" around, you should work on getting "it's" and "gets" spelled correctly. ;)

(Sorry for the poke, Jojo, but I couldn't resist. I know I've made my share of type-o's.)

BoxingRed
01-28-2007, 05:54 PM
David Dellucci via FA

Sizemore has barely touched lefties his first 2 full years. Not saying he won't improve, but it's an important factor whenever you consider him.

jojo
01-28-2007, 07:40 PM
Jojo, before you throw "permutation" and "triaged" around, you should work on getting "it's" and "gets" spelled correctly. ;)

(Sorry for the poke, Jojo, but I couldn't resist. I know I've made my share of type-o's.)

:oops:

ya....I guess my spellchecker doesn't always catch stupid....

at least I didn't spell bare, bear.....

StillFunkyB
01-28-2007, 07:45 PM
Pitcher would be Santana. I don't think there is much debate there.

Position player would be David Wright. Oh how I would love to trade in my Mets jersey of him for a Reds version!

Will M
01-28-2007, 07:51 PM
In year of insane contracts Schmidt signed a reasonable one.
IMO he would have also been a better fit for GABP than Zito.
Unfortunately he had zero interest in leaving the west coast.

dougflynn23
01-28-2007, 07:54 PM
:) Pitcher - Roy Oswalt
Position Player - Derek Jeter....over Johnny Oliver in the amateur draft.

Cyclone792
01-28-2007, 07:58 PM
Johan Santana, Miguel Cabrera, David Wright, Joe Mauer, Ryan Howard ... all of them are outstanding young players that I'd absolutely love to have.

But if it's one guy, and one guy only ... it's Albert Pujols, and it's not particularly close.

Pujols just turned 27-years-old less than two weeks ago, and barring a collapse, he's on his way to being the second greatest first baseman ever in the history of the game. I very much doubt anybody would pick any active major league player over a Lou Gehrig circa 1930, but if you're picking an active player over Pujols, that's essentially what you're doing. If Pujols keeps up what he's doing with a typical career trajectory, it's going to be Lou Gehrig and Albert Pujols by themselves at the top. That's it; even Jimmie Foxx will be looking up at Pujols.

Toss in the fact that if this dream scenario actually did happen, the gain of Pujols in a Cincinnati Reds uniform would also mean the loss of Pujols in a St. Louis Cardinals uniform. There'd be nothing else sweeter than significantly strengthening the Reds and also weakening the Cardinals with one giant blow.

Bigredfan#1
01-28-2007, 11:37 PM
As much as we need starting pitching, I think we may need a hitter or a closer even more. I would like AROD and let him return to SS or Nathan!!

Realistically though I would love to see the Reds go after Broxton or Zumaya before they start closing!! Would be able to get them cheaper than when they do start closing and either would be a major upgrade to our bullpen.

Jpup
01-29-2007, 12:24 AM
Johan Santana is the logical answer IMO. Jake Peavy would be a guy that I think could be had for the right return, if you want to talk about something that is possible.

bianchiveloce
01-29-2007, 03:09 AM
If there was one player you wish the Reds could have acquired either in a trade or free agency at a reasonable price, who would that be?

I would target these three pitchers:

1. Scott Olsen - K/9 of 8.27 to go along with his 45% GB/18% LD/37% FB.

2. Josh Johnson - k/9 of 7.62 to go along with his 46% GB/19% LD/36% FB.

3. Adam Loewen - K/9 of 7.85 to go along with his 48% GB/21% LD/31% FB.

And, all three of them are only entering their 23 yr. age season.

For hitters:

1. Andre Ethier

2. Matt Kemp

3. Ian Kinsler

I would try to package Adam Dunn, Brandon Phillips, and Dave Ross to get it done. Of course, including Dunn, we would have to get back some type of offense with one of the above pitchers; or going after one of the hitters, we would have to get some pitching back also.

Jpup
01-29-2007, 05:40 AM
I would target these three pitchers:

1. Scott Olsen - K/9 of 8.27 to go along with his 45% GB/18% LD/37% FB.

2. Josh Johnson - k/9 of 7.62 to go along with his 46% GB/19% LD/36% FB.

3. Adam Loewen - K/9 of 7.85 to go along with his 48% GB/21% LD/31% FB.

And, all three of them are only entering their 23 yr. age season.

For hitters:

1. Andre Ethier

2. Matt Kemp

3. Ian Kinsler

I would try to package Adam Dunn, Brandon Phillips, and Dave Ross to get it done. Of course, including Dunn, we would have to get back some type of offense with one of the above pitchers; or going after one of the hitters, we would have to get some pitching back also.

The Marlins aren't going to want Dunn's contract IMO.

Number_Fourteen
01-29-2007, 09:08 AM
Santana seems to be the logical choice. However, Oswalt might really be the best choice since the Reds would no longer be facing a pitcher in the same division who owns them to the tune of 17 wins & 1 loss.

Sean_CaseyRules
01-29-2007, 09:23 AM
Do they have to be healthy now? What about before they got hurt?

tripleaaaron
01-30-2007, 03:39 PM
Johan Santana hands down. But a little more realistically, if Sheets was available I like him for a good bounce back year

thatcoolguy_22
01-30-2007, 04:02 PM
hypothetically speaking I would take Ted Williams for raw hitting prowess and Ty Cobb for that nasty attitude. Also I would throw in Mr. Pete Rose for obvious reasons. :evil:

Todays market though i agree with the Johan Santana

WMR
01-30-2007, 04:55 PM
Felix Hernandez.

noskill27
01-31-2007, 05:45 PM
My first choice would be Santana. After that, probably Cabrera or Sizemore.

bucksfan
01-31-2007, 10:36 PM
Berkman, then Oswalt - based on the dual repercussions (not sure that makes sense!) of eliminating a Reds-killer also. But gotta agree Santana makes sense. Mauer would follow.