PDA

View Full Version : Report on the Caravan from the Ironton Tribune

redsmetz
01-28-2007, 04:30 PM
Found this while checking news on Google. It's not the most accurate reporting, but does have some interesting tidbits.

Krivsky hopes moves will move Reds up in division
By JIM WALKER/Tribune Sports Editor

CHESAPEAKE — If Wayne Krivsky were a contestant on “Deal or No Deal,” it wouldn’t be hard to figure out which way he would decided.

The Cincinnati Reds second-year general manager has acquired 47 players during his short stint with the organization and he admits there are already a few other deals in the works.

“Our 40-man roster is set. We’re still looking at a couple of pitchers. But we’ll listen to anyone who wants to propose a trade if we think it will improve our ball club,” Krivsky said.

Krivsky was part of the Reds annual winter media caravan that made its first stop weekend stop in the Tri-State at Big Sandy Furniture Saturday afternoon.

The Reds will remain in the area Sunday by appearing at the Ashland (Ky.) Town Center Mall from noon to 2 p.m.

Krivsky is hoping his current — and possible future — moves will help the Reds leapfrog St. Louis and win the National League Central Division championship after finishing second last year.

One deal that drew a negative comment was the signing of free agent outfielder Josh Hamilton who had been suspended in 2002 for failure to complete a drug and alcohol recovery program. The Reds picked Hamilton in the Rule 5 draft after he was left unprotected by the Tampa Bay Devil Rays.

Even though his suspension was not lifted until Jun1 last year, Krivsky defended the decision.

“By signing him it tells the fans we’re trying to put together the best team we can,” Krivsky said. “He’s got his life in order. He’s learned a lot. We’ve taken a leap of faith.”

Krivsky said there has been discussion regarding the move of oft-injured Ken Griffey Jr. from centerfield to right.

“Both sides have an open mind about. Nothing is set in stone. (Griffey) has an open mind,” Krivsky said. “The main thing is we want to keep him healthy and keep him playing.”

In other off-season deals, the Reds have acquired Oakland pitcher Kirk Saarloos and outfielder/first baseman Jeff Conine. He said there are on-going talks with reliever Kent Merker who wants to return for at least one more season.

“We were real pleased to get (Saarloos) this late before spring training. He was a starter at the beginning of last season for the A’s and was in the rotation in 2005. He is a sinkerball pitcher and has a 2-1 groundball ratio,” Krivsky said.

“Conine will help pick up the slack for the loss of (Rich) Aurilia. He may play some first base.”

Reds also signed free agent shortstop Alex Gonzalez to a three-year, $14 million deal in November. Second baseman Brandon Phillips, who made the caravan tour, said he is looking forward to playing with Gonzalez.

“I’m happy to have him over here. We’ll have a lot of fun up the middle. We’re going to have a lot of web gems,” said Phillips.

Pitching — mainly the bullpen — remains an area of concern due to injuries. Eddie Guardado will not be available at least until June and Gary Majewski is another reliever the Reds hope to have back soon.

“When Guardado went down, everyone was in a different position,” Krivksy said.

Bill Bray is expected to be the main closer, but Krivsky said manager Jerry Narron will probably use a bullpen by committee.

“I think Jerry will use guys who do well against certain hitters,” Krivsky said.

Majewski came over in a trade late last season with Washington to help the bullpen. Majewski has now been considered “damaged goods” and the issue has been taken to the Major League Baseball office which could mean a possible fine for the Nationals and general manager Jim Bowden who was fired by the Reds.

Reds Hall of Fame radio announcer Marty Brennaman joked “we like to the the remedy be a public stoning of you-know-who.”

In other news, the Reds are continuing talks with starting pitcher Aaron Harang in an attempt to avoid arbitration.Krivsky said starting pitcher Eric Milton is expected to be fully recovered form minor elbow surgery when spring training gets underway.

Krivsky said versatile Ryan Freel will probably be the leadoff hitter when he plays, but he was uncertain who would fill the role when Freel does not play.

“Finding a true leadoff hitter is hard to do,” Krivsky said.

One player on the tour who could figure into the Reds starting pitching plans is Homer Bailey, the tall, lanky right-hander who throws in the upper 90s. Bailey was recently named the Reds Minor League Player of the Year.

“I want to come to spring training prepare as possible and try to improve myself,” Bailey said. “I want to make the decision tough for Jerry (Narron).”

Jpup
01-28-2007, 07:20 PM
The Reds have a true leadoff hitter in Ryan Freel. I don't know what else he is looking for. He needs to worry about finding another starter for the #3 spot and a big bat to put in the middle of the lineup to do along with Dunn, Jr. and Edwin. Todd Helton would be a nice fit IMO.

reds44
01-28-2007, 07:22 PM
The Reds have a true leadoff hitter in Ryan Freel. I don't know what else he is looking for. He needs to worry about finding another starter for the #3 spot and a big bat to put in the middle of the lineup to do along with Dunn, Jr. and Edwin. Todd Helton would be a nice fit IMO.
One that can play everyday without seeing a major fall off in production?

edabbs44
01-28-2007, 07:24 PM
It seems like WK is doing his best to screw with Narron's head by giving him multiple options (good or bad) at multiple positions.

First base, leadoff hitter, the 3rd OF spot, closer, 5th starter (I doubt Saarloos is a lock), etc.

How come this team just can't have a solid lineup going into a season...ever?

Jpup
01-28-2007, 07:26 PM
One that can play everyday without seeing a major fall off in production?

Why does he have to play every single day? Chris Denorfia can play when Ryan needs a little break. They still haven't given either guy enough of a chance IMO. I also think it would help Freel if he knew the job was his from the start of spring.

reds44
01-28-2007, 07:28 PM
Why does he have to play every single day? Chris Denorfia can play when Ryan needs a little break. They still haven't given either guy enough of a chance IMO. I also think it would help Freel if he knew the job was his from the start of spring.
Freel had a chance last year after the Kearns trade. His production dropped, and the he got hurt. Denorfia has never had a true chance.

I have no problem going into this year with Denorfia and Freel splitting time in CF. However, I also don't think it's wrong for Krivsky to want a true leadoff hitter.

Jpup
01-28-2007, 07:29 PM
Freel had a chance last year after the Kearns trade. His production dropped, and the he got hurt. Denorfia has never had a true chance.

I have no problem going into this year with Denorfia and Freel splitting time in CF this year. However, I also don't think it's wrong for Krivsky to want a true leadoff hitter.

What is a true leadoff hitter? Billy Beane seams to thing Jason Kendall is. I am sure that Wayne and Narron would not agree. Scott Hatteberg at the top against right handers wouldn't bother me.

reds44
01-28-2007, 07:32 PM
What is a true leadoff hitter? Billy Beane seams to thing Jason Kendall is. I am sure that Wayne and Narron would not agree. Scott Hatteberg at the top against right handers wouldn't bother me.
High on base
Speed
Plays everyday

I wouldn't object to Hatteberg either. Your leadoff hitter doesn't always have to be fast. OBP is more important then anything.

Tom Servo
01-28-2007, 07:32 PM
We're still looking at a couple of pitchers.

Hmm...any guesses?

Remember, Joe Mays is still available. :evil:

edabbs44
01-28-2007, 07:34 PM

Hatteberg leading off would make me :barf:

If they just had a set and benched Jr against LHPs, there would be enough ABs to go around. But God forbid Jr isn't hitting 3rd every day...

edabbs44
01-28-2007, 07:48 PM
The title of the article makes me laugh. If he didn't hope that, there would be some pretty large issues.

Jpup
01-29-2007, 12:26 AM
Hatteberg leading off would make me :barf:

If they just had a set and benched Jr against LHPs, there would be enough ABs to go around. But God forbid Jr isn't hitting 3rd every day...

yeah, we wouldn't want anyone at the top that gets on base.

edabbs44
01-29-2007, 05:54 AM
yeah, we wouldn't want anyone at the top that gets on base.

I have serious reservations about this guy being in the lineup at all, let alone hitting leadoff.

Personally, I'd rather see Deno get a crack at the leadoff spot.