PDA

View Full Version : Remember when Bob Boone put Dunn on leadoff??

GOREDSGO32
02-06-2007, 07:10 PM
Wasn't that funny? Also the 6 man rotation. :bang: :laugh:

Hap
02-06-2007, 08:45 PM
You mean Bob Buffoon?

Also, let's not forget the great Donnie Sadler, the designated pinch runner for Griffey.

DoogMinAmo
02-06-2007, 08:54 PM
I also remember many thought it was worth a shot due to his high OBP and getting more chances to bat.

Chip R
02-06-2007, 08:56 PM
I believe the 6 man rotation was a Ray Knight creation right before he was fired.

Always Red
02-06-2007, 09:04 PM
There's a reason Bob isn't managing anymore...

...actually, there are many reasons!

harangatang
02-06-2007, 09:06 PM
I also remember many thought it was worth a shot due to his high OBP and getting more chances to bat.Yep that's the reason. And to the author of the thread it was actually Brad Kullman's doings, but old Bob Boone enacted it.

RedFanAlways1966
02-06-2007, 09:41 PM
I believe the 6 man rotation was a Ray Knight creation right before he was fired.

Bob Boone & Ray Knight... two men who won their last game as a REDS manager. And it was on consecutive days.

* Sunday, July 27, 2003. Boone's last game. REDS beat the Mets 8-5.
* Monday, July 28, 2003. A businessperson special. Knight fills in for one game as an interim manager before Dave Miley takes over. REDS beat the Phillies 6-5 in 10 innings on a Kelly Stinnett bases loaded single.

> Jose Guillen hits a HR in each of the games and then is traded to the A's on Tuesday, July 29, 2003. Also the same day that Scott Williamson was dealt to the Red Sox.

jmac
02-06-2007, 11:22 PM
Bob Boone & Ray Knight... two men who won their last game as a REDS manager. And it was on consecutive days.

* Sunday, July 27, 2003. Boone's last game. REDS beat the Mets 8-5.
* Monday, July 28, 2003. A businessperson special. Knight fills in for one game as an interim manager before Dave Miley takes over. REDS beat the Phillies 6-5 in 10 innings on a Kelly Stinnett bases loaded single.

> Jose Guillen hits a HR in each of the games and then is traded to the A's on Tuesday, July 29, 2003. Also the same day that Scott Williamson was dealt to the Red Sox.

"memories....pressed between the pages of my mind "

"memories, memories....sweet memories"

George Anderson
02-07-2007, 12:40 AM
What I could never figure out is how could someone who caught more games than anyone in MLB history be so absolutely clueless when it came to managing a game. I would think by the time Bob's 2,000th game behind the plate rolled around, he would have gotten a clue as to how a game should be managed,

RedsBaron
02-07-2007, 06:31 AM
I prefered Boone batting Dunn leadoff as opposed to 7th in the order.

Raisor
02-07-2007, 09:28 AM

You got that right.

Dunn is Ricky Henderson, without the stolen bases.

:thumbup:

westofyou
02-07-2007, 09:29 AM
Wasn't that funny? Also the 6 man rotation. :bang: :laugh:

I did it a bunch on my Strat team.

I'm nuts.

M2
02-07-2007, 11:15 AM

Exactly.

SunDeck
02-07-2007, 11:17 AM
I blame Bob Boone.
Wow, that phrase really works here.

top6
02-07-2007, 11:30 AM
One thing that always made me laugh was when Bowden traded Espinosa (sp ?) to the Tigers for Brian Moehler, and the Tigers threw Matt Boone into the deal, and Bob Boone said something like "Matt Boone could end up being the key to the whole deal."

I don't know why, I always found that really funny.

BTW, I had no problem batting Dunn leadoff; it's not like anything else was working at the time.

George Anderson
02-07-2007, 11:46 AM
Having LaRue pinch run and Deion Sanders pinch hit at the same time was a doozy.

Yachtzee
02-07-2007, 07:42 PM
Remember when Bob Boone and Tim Foli were working on the line at the chocolate factory and the chocolates started coming too fast, so they started stuffing them in their mouths to keep them from falling on the floor? That was crazy!

westofyou
02-07-2007, 07:45 PM
Remember when Bob Boone and Tim Foli were working on the line at the chocolate factory and the chocolates started coming too fast, so they started stuffing them in their mouths to keep them from falling on the floor? That was crazy!
Or the time Boone got stuck in that giant soup bowl on that billboard, that was crazy

Tom Servo
02-07-2007, 08:15 PM
How about the time Boone accidentially ends up having dates with two different girls at different places and he decides to alternate going to both of them. My God, that was crazy!

Ltlabner
02-07-2007, 08:32 PM
Or that time when Boone and his coaching staff had a complete misunderstanding because they only over heard part of a conversation and then hillarity ensued? They had to spend 30 minutes acting wacky instead of just asking the other person, "why did you say.......". Then they all headed down to the bar for a drink. That was crazy.

Hap
02-07-2007, 09:56 PM
Or that time when the castaways almost got off the island but Bob Boone screwed up The Professor's plans?

George Anderson
02-08-2007, 12:02 AM
How about the time Bob Boone wore an astronaut diaper so he didnt have to miss any of the game.

Always Red
02-08-2007, 06:59 AM
and then that one time, when Bob went to band camp...

Ltlabner
02-08-2007, 07:59 AM
Didn't Bob act as the caretaker of a recluse author's house in Hawaii one offseason? IIRC, he earned extra cash as a private eye who tortured the english butler fellow, drove a hot car and had buddies who were willing to sacrifice their hellicopter and nighclub for him. They'd solve crimes by day and try to grow cool mustaches by night. That was crazy.

Yachtzee
02-08-2007, 10:06 AM
Didn't Bob act as the caretaker of a recluse author's house in Hawaii one offseason? IIRC, he earned extra cash as a private eye who tortured the english butler fellow, drove a hot car and had buddies who were willing to sacrifice their hellicopter and nighclub for him. They'd solve crimes by day and try to grow cool mustaches by night. That was crazy.

Yeah, I remember that. I can't believe that Robin Masters was actually Carl Lindner. That was crazy.

Hap
02-08-2007, 12:21 PM
I remember when Carl Linder did something illegal and tried to frame the Duke boys. And then, his deputy Bob Boone put them into a jail cell, where they were able to trick the half-wit deputy (Tim Foli) into opening the cell door. They then escaped by locking Foli in the cell.

They got into their car and drove around really fast. Then, Bob Boone was chasing them and CB'd Lindner to say he was in hot pursuit. Then, they jumped their car over a river and Bob Boone's car didn't quite make it and Bob Boone fell into the river as the Duke boys honked their horn

And then, the Duke boys drove somewhere else really fast and saved the day right at the end just before Bob Boone could stop them.

Chip R
02-08-2007, 12:26 PM
I remember that one time when Bob Boone's evil twin managed the Reds for a couple of games. It was his real twin because he couldn't manage either.

pedro
02-08-2007, 12:29 PM
Or how about when Joe Namath stopped by to show him how to throw a spiral?

westofyou
02-08-2007, 12:30 PM
My favorite Bob Boone Memory was when he saved the world from Aliens using a Mac.

Genius!!!

pedro
02-08-2007, 12:32 PM
or that time when he drilled that big hole in the giant meteor and saved the earth!

pedro
02-08-2007, 12:33 PM
or when he dated Jennifer Lopez and everyone called them "Boonifer"!

westofyou
02-08-2007, 12:46 PM
By far though, this is my favorite Bob Boone moment.

http://www.workbenchmedia.com/p2_janet.gif

Danny Serafini
02-08-2007, 01:33 PM
Tim Hummel got all his street cred from Bob Boone.

pedro
02-08-2007, 01:37 PM
Remember when Bob was in that Movie "Teen Wolf" with Michael J. Fox and they were making out in the closet and Michael J. Fox scratched him all up?

Tom Servo
02-08-2007, 01:43 PM
Who could forget this crazy exchange between Bob and JimBo?

Bowden: Have you noticed any change in Griffey?
Boone: New glasses?
Bowden: No...he looks like something might be disturbing him.
Boone: Probably misses his old glasses.
Bowden: I guess we could get more involved in Ken's activities but then I'd be afraid of smothering him.
Boone: Yeah, and then we'd get the chair.
Bowden: That's not what I meant.
Boone: It was, Jim, admit it.

Ltlabner
02-08-2007, 05:06 PM
Did Bob Boone fly a super-secret hellicopter on missions sponsered by "the agency"? I think it was hangered inside a hollowed out mesa out west and his co-pilot was Earnest Borgnine, or something. IIRC, the bench coach that year was the panama hat, white suit, cane using, one eye-patched guy.

The best was when he looped the hellicopter. That was crazy!

Matt700wlw
02-08-2007, 05:41 PM
Remember when Bowden gave Bob Boone an extension? Also, remember getting rid of McKeon for Boone?

*sigh*

Hap
02-08-2007, 05:47 PM
remember getting rid of McKeon for Boone?

*sigh*

Weren't Ron Oester and Willie Randolph given fair chances for the job?

Redsland
02-08-2007, 06:14 PM
Depends on who you ask.

Randolph was later quoted as saying no offer was actually made.

And, of course, Oester claimed that Bowden pulled the rug out from under him, burned his house down, drowned a litter of his prized puppies, unburied his ancestors, and drew little mustaches on those posters of him modeling the uniform in the clubhouse.

:)