PDA

View Full Version : Surprise team?

vaticanplum
02-10-2007, 11:39 PM
I've just spent a good bit of time dissecting the NL all-around for 2007, because, you know, it's Saturday night.

And I am surprised by how strong the Phillies are on the whole. They have a few holes, but unlike most other NL teams, no glaring weaknesses. Strong starting pitching, decent bullpen, a fair balance of power and hitting.

I think they could surprise this year if they stay healthy. Thoughts? Any other teams that could surprise? Maybe it's too early for this, but SOME OF US ARE BORED.

PuffyPig
02-10-2007, 11:59 PM
I don't consider the Phillies doing well a surprise.

They are, at this stage of the season, the best team in the NL on paper.

HumnHilghtFreel
02-11-2007, 12:02 AM
The Phils should have been better for a couple seasons now. I wouldn't be surprised to see them turn some heads this year either.

REDblooded
02-11-2007, 12:50 AM
Watch Cole Hamels and get an idea of what to expect out of Homer..........!!! YEAH!

jmcclain19
02-11-2007, 12:53 AM
If I was a betting man I would put money on them to win the East this year.

guttle11
02-11-2007, 12:57 AM
I think if the Giants stay healthy they can do some damage.

RedsManRick
02-11-2007, 01:00 AM
I think the Diamondbacks could win 90.

tripleaaaron
02-11-2007, 01:41 AM
If I was a betting man I would put money on them to win the East this year.

I'm still not sure about this one, As they and the Mets are pretty close, I still think the Mets are better.
1B Ryan Howard > Carlos Delgado, but dont expect the same #'s from howard this year, and Delgado is no slouch
2B Chase Utley > Jose Valentin Javy's brother is solid w the glove, but Utley.
SS Jimmy Rollins < Jose Reyes Rollins is good but Reyes is best ss in NL
3B Wes Helms < David Wright, It remains to be seen what to expect from Helms, and Wright keeps improving
C Rob Barajas < Paul lo Duca, overall the mets are much stronger at C position
OF Burrell, Rowand, Victorino/Werth < Alou, Beltran, and Green/Millege
SP Garcia, Myers, Hamels, Eaton, Moyer/Lieber > Glavine, Hernandez, Maine, Perez, ?, Martinez(much later) Ill give it to Phils for now, but upon pedros return, you can flip that sign right around.
CL Gordon < Wagner
Bullpen Phils<Mets
Bench Toss Up
I think the Phils will be good, but their bullpen will blow some games and upon the return of Pedro the Mets will pull away from the phils. The Mets are, on paper the best team in the NL.

pedro
02-11-2007, 01:53 AM
I'm not sold on their rotation but I think they will get a lot of innings out of them.

I wonder if Wes Helms can really put it together over a full season too, although his splits from last year suggest that maybe he has "figured it out" and maybe he can put a couple of "phil nevin" seasons together.

I sure would rather have had Wes on the Reds than Jeff Conine though.

HumnHilghtFreel
02-11-2007, 01:55 AM

I was thinking the same thing if I had to pick a real "surprise" team.

Outshined_One
02-11-2007, 02:22 AM
The Marlins are definitely the most intriguing team in the NL East.

On offense, Miguel Cabrera is one of the best hitters in baseball. Guys like Dan Uggla, Hanley Ramirez, Josh Willingham, and Jeremy Hermida have successfully broken into the majors and are poised to make the next step. They've got the pieces for an effective offense in place.

Their rotation has the potential to be incredibly frightening over the next few years. Pretty much everything that can be said about Dontrelle Willis has been covered up to this point...but 2-5 in that rotation could be legitimately nasty. Anibal Sanchez pitched a no hitter last season. Scott Olsen (led the team in Ks), Josh Johnson (3.10 ERA in 157 IP ), and Ricky Nolasco (jumped from AA) got significant time under their belts. If these guys continue to improve, this might be one of the best rotations in the NL.

Their bullpen will be interesting to watch. Taylor Tankersley emerged as a top setup man last season and seems poised to take over the closer's role next year. The rest of the bullpen seems to be a bit of a mish-mash which could turn out well...or be the team's achilles heel.

As for new manager Fredi Gonzalez, he has the chanceto pick up where Girardi left off and have this team in the thick of things. This team has been one of the most strangely competitive in the NL over the past few years (especially considering their salary and youth)...so who knows what might happen?

On the one hand, teams with promising young talent like the Brewers are continuously overrated heading into the season and end up falling flat on their faces. On the other hand, the Marlins have enough of a track record to make them legitimately dangerous. Don't sleep on them.

pedro
02-11-2007, 03:01 AM
I'm going to go out on a limb at say the Reds might win 83 games in a weak NL.

iaredsfan
02-11-2007, 07:07 AM
I'd go a little further and predict 85. The NL Central seems to be weaker with the exception of the Cubs and that is only if some of their questions in the rotation are answered positively. The Brewers might also be better if they all stay healthy.

Tom Servo
02-11-2007, 09:05 AM
That's my pick as well. When you have Brandon Webb, Randy Johnson, Livan Hernandez, and Doug Davis in your rotation, you're in pretty good shape.

Krusty
02-11-2007, 09:16 AM
If you're talking the NL East, you have to give the Braves their due credit. Not making the playoffs last season was a direct result of bullpen that I believed led the league in blown saves opportunities. Adding Wickman down the stretch and acquiring Soriano and Gonzalez this offseason will make the Braves the team to beat in the NL East.

The Phillies are impressive but if Flash Gordon goes down their bullpen is in serious trouble. That is why you constantly hear the trade rumor of Aaron Rowland going to San Diego for RHP Scott Linebrink. But if the Phillies do that, who do you play in CF or RF? You have to figure Shane Victorino would shift to center but who plays RF? Now if the Phillies can pull off the San Diego trade, I could see Leiber traded for an outfielder to play RF.

Redlegs
02-11-2007, 09:17 AM
This may make me sound like a complete homer, but in all honesty, I think our beloved Reds will be a surprise team this season. I like the fact they've locked up Harang & extended Arroyo. They can both go out and pitch with a clear mind. I also think the rotation is better than it was at the start of last season.

The defense cost us games last year. That shouldn't happen this season with the upgrade at short. The wildcard of course is the bullpen. If Coffey or someone else can emerge as a closer until Guardado gets back, I think we'll be able to stay in the hunt. Remember, this team was tied for first heading into September.

In the AL, I look for the Orioles to possibly raise some eyebrows. I really like a couple of their young pitchers, particularly Erik Bedard. I trade Dunn for him in a heartbeat.

Krusty
02-11-2007, 09:23 AM
This may make me sound like a complete homer, but in all honesty, I think our beloved Reds will be a surprise team this season. I like the fact they've locked up Harang & extended Arroyo. They can both go out and pitch with a clear mind. I also think the rotation is better than it was at the start of last season.

The defense cost us games last year. That shouldn't happen this season with the upgrade at short. The wildcard of course is the bullpen. If Coffey or someone else can emerge as a closer until Guardado gets back, I think we'll be able to stay in the hunt. Remember, this team was tied for first heading into September.

In the AL, I look for the Orioles to possibly raise some eyebrows. I really like a couple of their young pitchers, particularly Erik Bedard. I trade Dunn for him in a heartbeat.

It will be interesting to see if Coffey learned anything from his brutal beating as a closer last season. If he did and looks good in spring training, that means Stanton and Weathers can handle the eighth innings while Cormier, Bray and Majewski and carry the load in the 6th and 7th innings.

I don't think the Reds can risk trading Dunn and not get a hitter in return. And with four of the five spots in the rotation set and approximately five guys competing for the final spot, trading your only true power hitter is a risk when there is no guarantee that Junior can stay healthy for a full season.

mth123
02-11-2007, 09:30 AM
If you're talking the NL East, you have to give the Braves their due credit. Not making the playoffs last season was a direct result of bullpen that I believed led the league in blown saves opportunities. Adding Wickman down the stretch and acquiring Soriano and Gonzalez this offseason will make the Braves the team to beat in the NL East.

The Phillies are impressive but if Flash Gordon goes down their bullpen is in serious trouble. That is why you constantly hear the trade rumor of Aaron Rowland going to San Diego for RHP Scott Linebrink. But if the Phillies do that, who do you play in CF or RF? You have to figure Shane Victorino would shift to center but who plays RF? Now if the Phillies can pull off the San Diego trade, I could see Leiber traded for an outfielder to play RF.

Agree on the Braves.

I think trading Rowand for a Linebrink and letting Jayson Werth and Michael Bourne play would fix a huge hole on that team without really hurting the starting 8 much. If they make that trade, the Phillies would be the unquestioned favorite IMO. Why would the Padres want Rowand? His main value is as a defensive CF. They already have Cameron. They need a lead-off LF. Rowand is not a lead-off answer IMO and they would probably rather have Victorino.

I wonder if they would take Freel for Linebrink. They could have one of the other pen guys (not Coffey or Bray) if they want.

RedsManRick
02-11-2007, 10:48 AM
That's my pick as well. When you have Brandon Webb, Randy Johnson, Livan Hernandez, and Doug Davis in your rotation, you're in pretty good shape.

And offensively, they have a TON of talented young players:

C: Miguel Montero
1B: Connor Jackson
2B: Orlando Hudson
SS: Stephen Drew
3B: Chad Tracy
LF: Eric Byrnes
CF: Chris Young
RF: Carlos Quentin