PDA

View Full Version : Washington Post: Josh Hamilton feature

redsmetz
02-13-2007, 06:25 AM
There's a long article in the Washington Post recounting Josh Hamilton's story and his attempt at a comeback. It's long, so I'm not copying it here.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2007/02/12/AR2007021201312.html

redsmetz
02-13-2007, 06:39 AM
It's an interesting article and this kid has his work cut out for himself, more so in continuing to put his life together than on the ballfield.

One note about the Washington Post site, you may have to register to read the entire store. It's free and then your computer remembers you're registered.

RFS62
02-13-2007, 06:58 AM
Great article. Thanks for posting it.

Always Red
02-13-2007, 07:13 AM
great article; thanks for posting it.

I wish Josh Hamilton nothing but the best in his battle, his own spiritual warfare; it sounds like he has his head on straight again.

Addiction aside, I had no idea that Josh has had 8 surgeries since 1999.

I hope he makes it all the way back and becomes a star for the Reds for years; it'd be the stuff of movies!

redsmetz
02-13-2007, 08:48 AM
great article; thanks for posting it.

I wish Josh Hamilton nothing but the best in his battle, his own spiritual warfare; it sounds like he has his head on straight again.

Addiction aside, I had no idea that Josh has had 8 surgeries since 1999.

I hope he makes it all the way back and becomes a star for the Reds for years; it's be the stuff of movies!

I suspect that Johnny Narron being signed as a coach has as much to do with Hamilton as anything. If that helps him get through the season, then it ultimately helps us. I hope it works out.

LoganBuck
02-13-2007, 01:28 PM
I am really pulling for him.

hippie07
02-13-2007, 01:46 PM
How realistic is it for him to actually do well in ST?

Jefferson24
02-13-2007, 01:55 PM
He should win "comeback player of the year" if he just makes the team. I'm pulling for him too.

flyer85
02-13-2007, 02:03 PM
I am really pulling for him ... in his struggle against the drugs and his walk with the Lord. It may well be that having success in major league baseball is not part of God's plan for him.

He is still young, has a wife and family that loves him, he is indeed a fortunate man.

MartyFan
02-13-2007, 02:07 PM
ever since I read this kids story a couple years ago when he was with the D-Rays I've been on his bandwagon! I still am and really hope that he makes it...if he makes it in the MLB then great but I hope he makes it in life...sounds like with the support of his wife, father in law and family he is on his way.

reds44
02-13-2007, 02:14 PM
We all are rooting for him. Everybody knows that. If he could come back from what he has gone through, it would be amazing.

HOWEVER

This is still MLB. He can't be handed a job because of what he used to be in 1999, and how badly we all want him to suuceed. He has to at least show flashes in spring training. I'm not asking him to go out there and hit .300, just show flashes of the talent he used to have.

Which brings to my next point. There is no doubt that he was a great talent. He was the definition of a 5 tool players, not to mention the 96 MPH fastball. However you don't go through went he went through without it taking a toll on your body. How much did the drugs, alcohol, and even the 8 surgeries (sp?) take a toll on his body? How much of that #1 talent does he still have that?

If most of the talent is still there and he shows flashes of it in spring training, he'll be on the team. If he doesn't then who knows. If he does make the team, Narron and Krivsky need to handle him carefully. It's not everyday you deal with a player who has 30 AB's above A ball in his career.

I'm rooting for him, and it could turn out to be an amazing story.

flyer85
02-13-2007, 02:18 PM
and it could turn out to be an amazing story.it already is. After the choices he has made to have that beautiful family, it is a story about mercy and redemption. I'd love to see him become a success with the Reds, however, my prayer is that regardless of what happens with baseball, that he still will be able to move forward in his life.

bucksfan2
02-13-2007, 02:40 PM
Reds44 I agree with you assesment. This guy had the kind of talent that comes around once in a lifetime. I would be willing to bet that he shows some flashes in spring training forcing the reds to keep him all year long. If he shows he has talent there is no way that the drays dont want him back. IMO his biggest hurddle is just going to be getting enough pt.

hippie07
02-13-2007, 02:54 PM
Can a player be kept on the 25 man and still play in the minor leagues? Probably a silly question but I was just wondering.

Danny Serafini
02-13-2007, 03:17 PM
Can a player be kept on the 25 man and still play in the minor leagues? Probably a silly question but I was just wondering.

Only if he was on an injury rehab assignment. He's not on the actual 25 man at that point, but for the purposes of keeping a Rule 5 pick it's just as good. He can't stay there too long, however, or the team will be forced to keep him on the Major League roster the next year without sending him down as well since he didn't spend enough time on the roster this year.

Edd Roush
02-13-2007, 03:58 PM
I really am praying that he has a great spring, makes the team and continues on his walk with God. He could be a great figurehead to say that the MTV way of life isn't all that it's cracked up to be and living with God is the way to live. I'm so glad the Reds have given him this opportunity. Josh seems to be doing all that he can, it looks like the rest is in God's hands now.

paulrichjr
02-13-2007, 04:07 PM
I am rooting for this guy more than ever after reading this article. Thanks for posting it. If he turns out to even be 75% as good as he potentially could be, "The Trade" will be "what trade?" in my mind.

vaticanplum
02-13-2007, 04:16 PM
I think this is the first article I've read that really hammered home just what kind of rock bottom Josh Hamilton hit. I hate to put levels on crack addiction, but the details here are skin-crawly: the hours and hours in a tattoo chair, out on a drug binge when his baby came home from the hospital.

I agree that he has a long way to go, but man he has come a long way already. Being on a team, being drug tested three times a week, all that kind of structure could go a long way in helping him. My worries about his baseball playing are more along reds44's lines: it's been a long time since he was in that kind of environment regularly and he simply may not have the skill anymore. But the fact that he's 16 months sober, that he's managed to stick with his family, that he has a regular daily job in baseball...that's all really the amazing part so far. Baseball success would be icing at this point.

redsmetz
02-13-2007, 04:19 PM
Is it just me or can others see Griffey taking him under his wing? That just strikes me as the sort of thing Griff will do.

AdamDunn
02-13-2007, 04:29 PM
Is it just me or can others see Griffey taking him under his wing? That just strikes me as the sort of thing Griff will do.

I hope Josh Hamilton finds all the support he needs here in Cincinnati... that's the type of team I want to see.

thatcoolguy_22
02-13-2007, 04:57 PM
wow-great article

paulrichjr
02-13-2007, 06:20 PM
Reading this scared me because I thought, "what if he makes it to the big leagues but begins drinking again due to celebrating too much...like a championship or something" Then I honestly realized that he played for the Reds and my fear went away. :beerme:

dunner13
02-13-2007, 06:42 PM
I read somewhere that because hes coming back from some injury the reds can start him in the minors on a rehab assignment. Anyone know if thats true and if it is how long they can keep him there?

Its a great story and whether he ever plays a game in the majors or not it sounds like he has already made an amazing comeback by coming over his drug addiction. On just talent alone he might be the most talented player in the red's organization, if he can put it all together this year we would have an amazing ball player. I know the odds are against but Im really rooting for him that he makes the team.

fearofpopvol1
02-13-2007, 09:14 PM
Am I the only one tired of hearing about this guy? Yes, he's a tremendous athlete. Yes, he has a story. Yes, he screwed up. Yes, we all hope he bounces back and becomes the steal pickup of the century for the Reds.

But does anyone else feel like the hype is too much or am I alone?

REDblooded
02-13-2007, 09:17 PM
Am I the only one tired of hearing about this guy? Yes, he's a tremendous athlete. Yes, he has a story. Yes, he screwed up. Yes, we all hope he bounces back and becomes the steal pickup of the century for the Reds.

Nah, you're just cold. It's a feel-good story. Enjoy it. Listen to a story of a man overcoming incredible odds without cynicysm. You'll be better for it.

Razor Shines
02-13-2007, 09:24 PM

To be perfectly honest I didn't know anything about his story until I read that article today. And other than some complaining from other Redszoners that the Reds picked him up just because Narron liked him and he'd be a waste of a 25 man spot, I didn't really know anything about him. I certainly haven't seen a lot of "hype" surrounding him.

Like others have said I think for him it's a success if he just stays clean for the rest of his life and provides for his family. As for the Reds, it's hard to say what they should expect from him, he's definitely a long shot.

reds44
02-13-2007, 09:29 PM

Yes, you are.

Reds Nd2
02-13-2007, 09:42 PM
One note about the Washington Post site, you may have to register to read the entire store.
Try this instead. http://www.bugmenot.com/

It's not a silly question at all. The answer is a bit confusing, but yes, a player can be sent to the minors on a rehab assignment. A maximum of twenty days for position players and thirty days for pitchers for each injury or reoccurrence of an injury.

I hope Josh Hamilton finds all the support he needs here in Cincinnati... that's the type of team I want to see.
I wish Josh all the best in the world...But I want to see a winning team in Cincinnati. If that means playing fast and loose with the rules concerning rehab assignments and keeping him around, then I'm all for it. If not, the Reds need to eat the $75,000 and offer him back to Tampa Bay.

I read somewhere that because hes coming back from some injury the reds can start him in the minors on a rehab assignment. Anyone know if thats true and if it is how long they can keep him there?
That's true. He had season ending arthroscopic surgery to remove scar tissue from his knee, so the Reds can have him begin the season on a rehab assignment. The how long is the tricky part. He must be on the active roster for at least ninety days in 2007, or the Reds are forced to keep him on the active roster (Read 25 man) in 2008 untill the ninety days are met before sending him to the minors.

Reds Nd2
02-13-2007, 09:52 PM
And other than some complaining from other Redszoners that the Reds picked him up just because Narron liked him...
That would certainly be a nice thing to complain about, if the facts didn't get in the way.

fearofpopvol1
02-13-2007, 09:55 PM
Let me clarify to say again that I am NOT rooting against Hamilton. I really do hope that he succeeds and does well.

However, I have never seen so much hype, optimism and enthusiasm surrounding a guy that has barely even played at the single "A" level!!

Razor Shines
02-13-2007, 10:00 PM
Let me clarify to say again that I am NOT rooting against Hamilton. I really do hope that he succeeds and does well.

However, I have never seen so much hype, optimism and enthusiasm surrounding a guy that has barely even played at the single "A" level!!

Have you read this thread? I think the optimistic people, as far as baseball goes, think he "might" make the team. Most of the talk in is about his personal life, or whether or how long the Reds can keep him in AAA without having to give him up. I don't think anybody expects him to be an all star or anything near it. Most are just happy he's getting his life together. If that's "hype" then I didn't realize it.

fearofpopvol1
02-13-2007, 10:02 PM
the hype comes from some past posts regarding hamilton.

MartyFan
02-13-2007, 10:06 PM
fearofpovol1:

Maybe it's just me...I didn't think you were rooting against the guy...I just think you are in the middle of the offseason and would rather read a baseball story over a feel good story...they have those out there too but this is a feel good story...so if you don't like it...or if you are tired of it (like I am with all the "This team sucks" talk) then just don't read it.

Reds Nd2
02-13-2007, 10:27 PM
Not to mention that he'll be 26 in May and a bit higher priced than most Rule V draft picks. Still, I like it. How often do teams get the chance to steal a former first rounder in the Rule V? These are the chances that a team like the Reds are going to have to capitalize on in order to succeed. Baseball America ranks him as the 30th best prospect in the Reds organization this year. While that says more about the Reds as a whole, it should also say something about the hype being garnered on Josh Hamilton.

Superdude
02-13-2007, 10:34 PM
I'm probably way off base with this, but it seems like I read that if we send something to the D-Rays, we can send Hamilton back to the minors. Is this true?

Chip R
02-13-2007, 10:37 PM
Does anyone really think that the 25th guy on the roster, the 5th OFer is going to make a difference whether the Reds get in the playoffs or not? I mean does it really matter if it's DeWayne Wise or Josh Hamilton or Norris Hopper? Quentin McCracken was on the roster for the first part of last year when the Reds were playing so well. He wasn't the reason why they were playing well but he certainly didn't hinder them.

Reds Nd2
02-13-2007, 10:59 PM
I'm probably way off base with this, but it seems like I read that if we send something to the D-Rays, we can send Hamilton back to the minors. Is this true?
Yes. The Reds can work a trade with Tampa Bay and gain the rights to Josh Hamilton.

Does anyone really think that the 25th guy on the roster, the 5th OFer is going to make a difference whether the Reds get in the playoffs or not?
In 2007? No, not at all. The Reds are going to be extremly lucky to finish above .500 in 2007. The question should be this, is Josh Hamilton going to help the Reds in the future. Let's say 2008, when he's going to be twenty seven years old. If you think so, then keep him around. If not, eat the $75 grand and send him back. What I do think is this. A team with the payroll of the Reds have to maximize all of the twenty five roster spots if they are to win anything of significance.

REDblooded
02-13-2007, 11:11 PM
Does anyone really think that the 25th guy on the roster, the 5th OFer is going to make a difference whether the Reds get in the playoffs or not? I mean does it really matter if it's DeWayne Wise or Josh Hamilton or Norris Hopper? Quentin McCracken was on the roster for the first part of last year when the Reds were playing so well. He wasn't the reason why they were playing well but he certainly didn't hinder them.

Great point Chip. I'm with you on this one. This, as with Brandon Phillips last year, is the exact type of low risk/potential high reward move that the Reds need to make at this point in their progression towards fielding a competitive team.

I really don't think a lot of the people who have posted in this thread realize just HOW much talent Hamilton has. Now it's just a matter of developing it as quickly as possible. I honestly don't see his past becoming a factor again.

cacollinsmba
02-14-2007, 12:10 AM
I wouldn't have picked up the Post today had the article not been mentioned. Thanks for the head's up. I'll be sending it back to Dad in the 'Nati.

The print version had several pix not available online. I can scan & post if anyone is so inclined. Front page of the sports section has 1st pic I've seen of Hamilton in Reds gear.

RedlegNation
02-14-2007, 12:35 AM
Great article. I'm rooting for the guy, and not just in baseball terms. He's a long shot, but who knows?

mth123
02-14-2007, 04:40 AM
Great article. I'm rooting for the guy, and not just in baseball terms.

Me too.

RFS62
02-14-2007, 07:24 AM
On a personal level, as a human interest story, it's pretty hard not to root for this kid.

I can easily see a scenario in which he makes the team as the 25th man and we get flashbacks of Wily Mo. Crazy talent but so few plate appearances that he'll be completely overmatched for a good while.

If the ceiling is as high as everyone seems to think, the Reds will have to decide if it's worth it, and I'll bet they take him north if he has any kind of spring.

Chip R
02-14-2007, 08:01 AM
Yes. The Reds can work a trade with Tampa Bay and gain the rights to Josh Hamilton.

In 2007? No, not at all. The Reds are going to be extremly lucky to finish above .500 in 2007. The question should be this, is Josh Hamilton going to help the Reds in the future. Let's say 2008, when he's going to be twenty seven years old. If you think so, then keep him around. If not, eat the $75 grand and send him back. What I do think is this. A team with the payroll of the Reds have to maximize all of the twenty five roster spots if they are to win anything of significance.

Yes, but you don't have to keep him around in 2008. After 2007, you can stash him back in the minors. I do agree that the Reds have to maximize the roster spots with the payroll they have but, again, that 25th guy isn't going to make or break this team either on the field or on the balance sheet.

texasdave
02-14-2007, 09:15 AM
I suppose it would be skirting the rules but I do not see why you couldn't keep Hamilton on the Reds' 25-man roster and send him out to play with an Independent League team. One that is not affiliated with Major League Baseball in any way. I don't think a player on the 25-man roster HAS to travel with the team - see Roger Clemens.

vaticanplum
02-14-2007, 10:16 AM
The print version had several pix not available online. I can scan & post if anyone is so inclined. Front page of the sports section has 1st pic I've seen of Hamilton in Reds gear.

I would love that if you have a second...thanks for offering.

Redsnake
02-14-2007, 11:44 AM
I would still rather have him on the roster than a Castro and Hopper.

Superdude
02-14-2007, 12:16 PM

I wonder how much it would take. I would definitely look into that if WayneK thinks Hamilton could be an impact player in a year or so. I would imagine he's got a whole lot of stuff to work on, and pinch hitting is not a good way to help himself of the team.

tbball10
02-14-2007, 12:49 PM
I wonder how much it would take. I would definitely look into that if WayneK thinks Hamilton could be an impact player in a year or so. I would imagine he's got a whole lot of stuff to work on, and pinch hitting is not a good way to help himself of the team.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe Hamilton could still be the PTBNL in the Brendan Harris trade in January. There was speculation of that after the trade went down.
If Hamilton can rediscover his talents and perform to his old capabilities, he can start in CF for the Reds for a long time. I'm definitely rooting for him!!!

flyer85
02-14-2007, 12:51 PM
Correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe Hamilton could still be the PTBNL in the Brendan Harris trade in January. if that were the case there is no reason for it to be a PTBNL, they could have announced that at the time of the trade.

lollipopcurve
02-14-2007, 01:22 PM
if that were the case there is no reason for it to be a PTBNL, they could have announced that at the time of the trade.

It would make more sense for the Reds to wait and see how Hamilton does -- if they don't like what they see, they can offer Hamilton back and receive a different player for Harris.

flyer85
02-14-2007, 01:26 PM
It would make more sense for the Reds to wait and see how Hamilton does -- if they don't like what they see, they can offer Hamilton back and receive a different player for Harris.then why make the trade then, just wait and see on Hamilton.

Is it possible Hamilton could be the PTBNL? Sure but at the time it seemed the Reds were trying to clear a roster spot.

lollipopcurve
02-14-2007, 01:41 PM
then why make the trade then, just wait and see on Hamilton.

Is it possible Hamilton could be the PTBNL? Sure but at the time it seemed the Reds were trying to clear a roster spot.

it's not either/or -- it's possible the trade accomplished both opening a roster spot and giving the Reds a foot in the door towards gaining Hamilton's rights

cacollinsmba
02-14-2007, 03:40 PM
Front page of Washington Post Sports section yesterday -

noskill27
02-14-2007, 04:44 PM
Nah, you're just cold. It's a feel-good story. Enjoy it. Listen to a story of a man overcoming incredible odds without cynicysm. You'll be better for it.

A feel good story is seeing Eric Davis fight off cancer to play again. Hamilton screwed up his own life and STILL gets a chance to live out his dream. That's more depressing then uplifting.

redsmetz
02-14-2007, 04:47 PM
A feel good story is seeing Eric Davis fight off cancer to play again. Hamilton screwed up his own life and STILL gets a chance to live out his dream. That's more depressing then uplifting.

I don't disagree with you about Eric Davis, but anytime a person screws up royally and turns their life around, that's good news. It's not depressing at all - what's depressing is someone being unable to break the cycle of addiction and turn their life around.

Razor Shines
02-14-2007, 04:49 PM

I understand the part about this being something he brought on himself. But how is it depressing? Would it make you feel better about your own life if he was miserable the rest of his?

Gainesville Red
02-14-2007, 04:49 PM

"And now for something completely different"

That's certainly a different opinion than I had.

I'm don't find Hamilton's story uplifting, but certainly not depressing.

Are you rooting against him? If he does well will you boo him?

A lot of kids make a lot of dumb mistakes. Imagine the bad decisions they'd make with a million dollars burning a hole in their pockets.

I'd be a mess if I had unlimited funds.

Natty Redlocks
02-14-2007, 07:08 PM
Front page of Washington Post Sports section yesterday -

It's okay to be a junkie. But why do people gotta kiss their children on the lips? Ew.

noskill27
02-14-2007, 07:29 PM
I don't disagree with you about Eric Davis, but anytime a person screws up royally and turns their life around, that's good news. It's not depressing at all - what's depressing is someone being unable to break the cycle of addiction and turn their life around.

I would never disagree that someone turning around their life is a good thing. It is a good thing. But, for me, Hamilton's not a feel good story. At best, it's a cautionary tale for the youth.

noskill27
02-14-2007, 07:34 PM
I understand the part about this being something he brought on himself. But how is it depressing? Would it make you feel better about your own life if he was miserable the rest of his?

Like you said, he put himself in that position. He has no one to blame but himself. The attention his story is getting takes away from those who are overcoming incredible odds that they had no control over. That is what's depressing.

noskill27
02-14-2007, 07:38 PM
"And now for something completely different"

That's certainly a different opinion than I had.

I'm don't find Hamilton's story uplifting, but certainly not depressing.

Are you rooting against him? If he does well will you boo him?

A lot of kids make a lot of dumb mistakes. Imagine the bad decisions they'd make with a million dollars burning a hole in their pockets.

I'd be a mess if I had unlimited funds.

Of course I'm not rooting against him, he's a human being. But he's not getting my sympathy because he's trying to correct his mistakes. The fact he threw away more money on drugs then most hard working folks will see in their lifetime just makes it more depressing.

Razor Shines
02-14-2007, 08:15 PM
Like you said, he put himself in that position. He has no one to blame but himself. The attention his story is getting takes away from those who are overcoming incredible odds that they had no control over. That is what's depressing.

It is? Is there only a certain amount of attention to go around? Who should we be paying more attention to?

And I still don't understand how it's depressing. Are you telling me you are literally depressed because his story is getting attention? I just don't see anything wrong with people being happy the guy is getting his life in order, let alone the fact that he has a chance (even if it's a slight chance) to use his talents again.

noskill27
02-14-2007, 08:53 PM
It is? Is there only a certain amount of attention to go around? Who should we be paying more attention to?

And I still don't understand how it's depressing. Are you telling me you are literally depressed because his story is getting attention? I just don't see anything wrong with people being happy the guy is getting his life in order, let alone the fact that he has a chance (even if it's a slight chance) to use his talents again.

Yes, there is only a certain amount of attention to go around. People have enough going on in their lives that they can't spend every minute reading/watching inspirational stories. There are thousands of more important stories out there then one of a recovering drug addict getting to follow his dream. Open up the newspaper for a sample. Every one that doesn't get read by someone because of Hamilton's story is tragic. Depressing.

Reds Nd2
02-14-2007, 09:05 PM
Jon Lester says hello.

Who should we be paying more attention to?

Aaron Cook says hi.

As someone who battles their own personal demons everyday, I do find it quite depressing that a former #1 pick in the Rule IV draft threw away that much talent on his own addictions. The fact that it is indeed depressing, has absolutely nothing to do with with people being happy that he's getting his life back together, or the fact that his story is getting national attention. I think you've greatly misunderstood the point of noskill27's posts.

Razor Shines
02-14-2007, 09:23 PM
Yes, there is only a certain amount of attention to go around. People have enough going on in their lives that they can't spend every minute reading/watching inspirational stories. There are thousands of more important stories out there then one of a recovering drug addict getting to follow his dream. Open up the newspaper for a sample. Every one that doesn't get read by someone because of Hamilton's story is tragic. Depressing.

Ok well this is the baseball portion of this particular website which focuses mainly on Reds baseball. I realize that in terms of the entire world picture right now there are more important things than Josh Hamilton. In terms of the "big picture" it is true there are other things than baseball going on in the world, like basketball (another Pacers' player got in trouble at a night club) and football (Peyton Manning was on Letterman last night). When you said newspaper you did mean sportspages.com or espn.com didn't you?

Razor Shines
02-14-2007, 09:33 PM
Jon Lester says hello.

Aaron Cook says hi.

As someone who battles their own personal demons everyday, I do find it quite depressing that a former #1 pick in the Rule IV draft threw away that much talent on his own addictions. The fact that it is indeed depressing, has absolutely nothing to do with with people being happy that he's getting his life back together, or the fact that his story is getting national attention. I think you've greatly misunderstood the point of noskill27's posts.

Well it seemed to me that he was saying that attention to this story was bothering him or depressing him. I don't think that because people are paying attention to this story on a Reds baseball website is going to take away from other Reds players who have good stories too. I have the ability to read and post about more than one story a day. So maybe I am wrong, I don't know and I really don't care at this point. Hamilton has made mistakes and paid for those mistakes and it makes me FEEL GOOD that there are second chances in this world.

Reds Nd2
02-14-2007, 10:29 PM
So maybe I am wrong, I don't know and I really don't care at this point.I know you don't "care at this point".

Hamilton has made mistakes and paid for those mistakes and it makes me FEEL GOOD that there are second chances in this world.
The thing is this, there are other baseball players who have faced much harder life circumstances that were not of their own choice. Baseball managers too, and their story isn't getting told. Stories that "makes me FEEL GOOD" too. Those same stories are getting told everyday about real people who don't play baseball too. The simple fact that those stories aren't getting told is depressing.

Reds Nd2
02-14-2007, 10:33 PM
It's okay to be a junkie. But why do people gotta kiss their children on the lips? Ew.
Posts like that got you elected to ORG?

Chip R
02-14-2007, 10:40 PM
I know you don't "care at this point".

The thing is this, there are other baseball players who have faced much harder life circumstances that were not of their own choice. Baseball managers too, and their story isn't getting told. Stories that "makes me FEEL GOOD" too. Those same stories are getting told everyday about real people who don't play baseball too. The simple fact that those stories aren't getting told is depressing.

Tell their stories and see which gets the most attention, those or this one. The facts are that people are more interested in this kind of a story than those other "feel good" stories. Whether that's right or wrong is irrelevant but it is a fact.

Natty Redlocks
02-14-2007, 11:12 PM
Posts like that got you elected to ORG?

Nah, that was one of my better ones. Hard to believe, isn't it?

Reds Nd2
02-14-2007, 11:32 PM
Tell their stories and see which gets the most attention, those or this one. The facts are that people are more interested in this kind of a story than those other "feel good" stories. Whether that's right or wrong is irrelevant but it is a fact.
Look up the stories yourself. I don't for a second think they are "irrelevant".

Nah, that was one of my better ones. Hard to believe, isn't it?
Not really. It says more about the posting system than it does about any of your posts.

Chip R
02-14-2007, 11:39 PM
Look up the stories yourself. I don't for a second think they are "irrelevant".

I think you misunderstand me. I didn't say the stories were irrelevant. I said it is irrelevant whether or not people believe that this kind of a story is more interesting than one of your "feel good" stories.

And if you don't believe that, prove it by posting a "feel good" story and see which story receives the most attention. Prove me wrong.

Razor Shines
02-15-2007, 12:22 AM
I know you don't "care at this point".

Well when he told me to "open up a newspaper", like I'm on here with my head in the sand not knowing that there is anything else going on in the world besides Josh Hamilton's story. That's when I stopped caring about what he was trying to say.

And secondly this is a Reds baseball website we don't talk much about stories of people who aren't involved in baseball on this side of the board. Why bother even posting on this board if there are other more important stories in this world not getting told? If it's so depressing to think about the other stories not getting told?

Are those stories not getting told because Hamilton's story is getting told? Find these stories about these Reds' managers and players that are having to over come things they can't control and post them, I'll read them. I can look at more than one thread a day.

realistic
02-15-2007, 12:27 AM
I think the reason this particular story is so interesting to the masses is because most all of us can relate to it. Everyone has a friend,family member, coworker that they have seen struggle with substance abuse up close and personal.

Like Rick James says 'cocaine is a hell of a drug' , and if you have ever known anyone with a crack addiction its crippling. Its a dreamkiller. And since most of us posters grew up dreaming to be ballplayers - to now see this former number 1 overall pick ,who has struggled so much, get a chance to now live the ultimate dream for most of us - its inspiring.

Dwight Gooden's no-hitter was one of my happiest moments ever as a sports fan. At the time I thought he was finally clean and content with life, but that didnt last long.

The odds of Josh Hamilton being an allstar are better than his chances of staying sober. I dont say that to be mean, but its the truth. Id just love to see him stay sober. Success and failure are BOTH relapse triggers, hes got a long road ahead and we should all be cheering for him.

MartyFan
02-15-2007, 12:30 AM
ND, what's the big deal...this guy has a story...everyone has a story and his is being told right now...so what? Why do you get so bothered by such a thing?

Razor Shines
02-15-2007, 12:48 AM
I think the reason this particular story is so interesting to the masses is because most all of us can relate to it. Everyone has a friend,family member, coworker that they have seen struggle with substance abuse up close and personal.

Like Rick James says 'cocaine is a hell of a drug' , and if you have ever known anyone with a crack addiction its crippling. Its a dreamkiller. And since most of us posters grew up dreaming to be ballplayers - to now see this former number 1 overall pick ,who has struggled so much, get a chance to now live the ultimate dream for most of us - its inspiring.

Dwight Gooden's no-hitter was one of my happiest moments ever as a sports fan. At the time I thought he was finally clean and content with life, but that didnt last long.

The odds of Josh Hamilton being an allstar are better than his chances of staying sober. I dont say that to be mean, but its the truth. Id just love to see him stay sober. Success and failure are BOTH relapse triggers, hes got a long road ahead and we should all be cheering for him.

I know that. I had an Uncle that struggled for 20 years off and on with addiction to drugs and alcohol, it finally took him last year. And I truly believe he wanted to stay clean, and he would for months at a time, but some people just can't, it was really hard on his kids. Like you said success and failure. There was a time a few years ago where we thought it was over because he'd just gotten a new job, but then one day....right back in it. But like Hamilton he brought it on himself by even getting involved in it and he readily admitted it.