PDA

View Full Version : Opening Day Tickets Debacle!

Z-Fly
02-16-2007, 08:31 PM
So why is it that the Red's are only allowing 2 opening day tickets per account holder, regardless of the number of seats the account holder has purchased? A group of me and 4 friends each bought a 20-game pack for 2007 and were excited to hear that we could also have early access to purchase the opening day tix. However, we recently learned that they're only allowing us to buy 2 opening day seats because we bought our tix under one name. How is that fair? We all paid for seats ($300+ for the moondeck each) and I think we should all have access to just one ticket each.

Besides that, last year, when we purchased the same 20 game pack under one name, they sent out promotional items like RedsBucks for concessions and Redsfest passes but only gave 2 each for the five seats. So this year, I'm sure we'll get screwed again with these promo items.

After a call to the Reds ticket office and a long conversation with a very nice group ticket salesperson named John, they said they can't do anything. They won't let us split our seats up. They won't make exceptions for people who are in our situation. Basically, they said it was a business decision the club made and that our only recourse is to write a letter to Brad Blettner, the Director of Business Development. That or purchase another 20 game pack. Yeah, right.

Has anyone else had this problem? This is just so frustrating because it feels like they made these ticket packs look so good to buy so you can get early access to opening day tix but in reality, they aren't really allowing all of their fans who've spent their money to get this advantage.

Chip R
02-16-2007, 11:02 PM
I wouldn't complain. At least you will get tickets while a lot of folks are going to be shut out.

Sean_CaseyRules
02-16-2007, 11:43 PM
I wouldn't complain. At least you will get tickets while a lot of folks are going to be shut out.

I can understand his situation though. I don't understand either why they wouldn't send tickets for each of them if they have the different seats.

Chip R
02-16-2007, 11:51 PM
I can understand his situation though. I don't understand either why they wouldn't send tickets for each of them if they have the different seats.

Yeah, it sucks but I think they do that so scalpers don't snatch up all the Opening Day tickets. I believe that is the case for everyone. Even when they sell the individual tickets, I think there's a limit of 2 per order.

Z-Fly
02-17-2007, 01:59 AM
If we had bought 5 one ticket packs we would have had access to 10 opening day tickets!!!! How does that make any sense?:confused:

02-17-2007, 02:10 AM
Z, at Redsfest, I talked to a Reds rep about season tickets, and he told me 2 was the limit even though I would have been getting 4 seats in the poackage. What I didn't like was that info wasn't volunteered. In fact, it was presented as an opportunity to buy additional OD tickets. It took several questions to get him to say I could only get 2, even though I was considering 4 seats. I walked away with the impression that the limit was something he was trying to slip on by.

geniusMoment
02-17-2007, 03:20 AM
So wait, are you saying if you buy an 81 game season ticket plan with 4 seats that you actually only get tickets for 80 of the games on two of the seats? If that's the case and their salespeople are trying to hide it, that is just cause for a fraud lawsuit. I'm currently in law school, and my dad owns a practice downtown, he'd love a class action case involving a high profile party like the reds.

Always Red
02-17-2007, 07:08 AM
So why is it that the Red's are only allowing 2 opening day tickets per account holder, regardless of the number of seats the account holder has purchased? A group of me and 4 friends each bought a 20-game pack for 2007 and were excited to hear that we could also have early access to purchase the opening day tix. However, we recently learned that they're only allowing us to buy 2 opening day seats because we bought our tix under one name. How is that fair? We all paid for seats ($300+ for the moondeck each) and I think we should all have access to just one ticket each.

Besides that, last year, when we purchased the same 20 game pack under one name, they sent out promotional items like RedsBucks for concessions and Redsfest passes but only gave 2 each for the five seats. So this year, I'm sure we'll get screwed again with these promo items.

After a call to the Reds ticket office and a long conversation with a very nice group ticket salesperson named John, they said they can't do anything. They won't let us split our seats up. They won't make exceptions for people who are in our situation. Basically, they said it was a business decision the club made and that our only recourse is to write a letter to Brad Blettner, the Director of Business Development. That or purchase another 20 game pack. Yeah, right.

Has anyone else had this problem? This is just so frustrating because it feels like they made these ticket packs look so good to buy so you can get early access to opening day tix but in reality, they aren't really allowing all of their fans who've spent their money to get this advantage.

Because you've bought 1/4 of a season ticket with a 20 game pack, not an actual season ticket.

I have 4 seats, also a 20 game pack. Had it for 2 years now, and never had the option of opening day. In fact, when I saw the advertising for opening day tickets available for new 20 game pack signups, I thought "geez, I missed out on that."

A week later, I got a letter offering me 2 tickets to opening day. I was pleased, and thought it was pretty nice of the Reds to do that, knowing that I actually share my season tickets with 3 other groups, since I only have a 20 game pack.

reds1869
02-17-2007, 08:34 AM
So wait, are you saying if you buy an 81 game season ticket plan with 4 seats that you actually only get tickets for 80 of the games on two of the seats? If that's the case and their salespeople are trying to hide it, that is just cause for a fraud lawsuit. I'm currently in law school, and my dad owns a practice downtown, he'd love a class action case involving a high profile party like the reds.
No, if you have a full season or weekday plan you would get all of your Opening Day tickets. The ticket option is for people like myself (weekend package) and 20 game plans.

KittyDuran
02-17-2007, 08:43 AM
Because you've bought 1/4 of a season ticket with a 20 game pack, not an actual season ticket.

I have 4 seats, also a 20 game pack. Had it for 2 years now, and never had the option of opening day. In fact, when I saw the advertising for opening day tickets available for new 20 game pack signups, I thought "geez, I missed out on that."

A week later, I got a letter offering me 2 tickets to opening day. I was pleased, and thought it was pretty nice of the Reds to do that, knowing that I actually share my season tickets with 3 other groups, since I only have a 20 game pack.That's true I had the 20 game package for 2 years and never got OD ticket options. This year, because I had the money, I opted for a full season ticket package despite the other options available.

I echo Chip's comments - just be grateful that you're getting OD ticket options this year because in the past there was none. Read the other thread!

BTW, if you could have the 1 for 1 ratio for packages/OD tickets instead of the 2 ticket limit, I wonder how many tickets WOULD be available for Opening Day?

redsfanmia
02-17-2007, 06:35 PM
Opening day is overrated anyway. I went one time and will never go again, it was a pain getting to the park, parking and leaving.

Cedric
02-17-2007, 07:08 PM
Opening day is overrated anyway. I went one time and will never go again, it was a pain getting to the park, parking and leaving.

Take the bus :)
Fixes all the problems.

Opening day is the greatest thing since sliced bread my man.

redsfanmia
02-17-2007, 07:24 PM
Take the bus :)
Fixes all the problems.

Opening day is the greatest thing since sliced bread my man.

Did I mention the one opening day game I went to was in 2000 when it rained all day and the game ended in a tie?

Cedric
02-17-2007, 07:40 PM
Did I mention the one opening day game I went to was in 2000 when it rained all day and the game ended in a tie?

Yep, not a fun one.

At least you weren't there when McSherry died. That wasn't fun either. It was unreasoningly hot that day.

Joseph
02-17-2007, 07:45 PM
I think the Reds are very generous to offer additional tickets to season ticket holders at all. They could simply say you get what you pay for and if you want more you can get in line like everyone else.

Z-Fly
02-18-2007, 09:12 AM
I think the Reds are very generous to offer additional tickets to season ticket holders at all. They could simply say you get what you pay for and if you want more you can get in line like everyone else.

I honestly would of rather of that happened then them just giving us two. That way all of us would have had a reasonable chance to get tickets. From what the reds have said, so far is ,that there are going to be very limited if any single game opening day ticket sales.

You have to understand I did not buy 5 tickets for My wife, three kids and me or something. It was for five differnt friends. If they are going to give opening day tickets to people as a perk for buying packages give it to everyone or don't do it at all. This is the second year I have bought a ticket package. I may not have bought them again this year if they would not have advertised the opening day ticket options. It is easy enough to get discounted tickets from a scalper.

I was also there when the ump. died... :(

Redlegs
02-18-2007, 10:46 AM
I like the traditional standing in line and all that jazz. The Reds are bucking tradition.

Redlegs
02-18-2007, 10:47 AM
Opening day is overrated anyway.

C'mon! Opening Day is a wonderful experience and a Cincinnati holiday.

Redskinalum02
02-19-2007, 04:44 PM
I also purchased a 20-game pack (bleacher seats). While contemplating the purchase, I called the ticket office. At the time, they told me I would receive the opportunity to purchase 2 OD tickets. However, when I got the letter in the mail, they only allocated me ONE OD ticket. I'll take what I can get, but I also feel like I was sold a bill of goods a bit. I called and even offered to sacrifice seat location on OD for an extra ticket, but they wouldn't budge.

Opening Day is great! I was also there when John McSherry died (in Blue Seats nonetheless). What a downer of a day. The unbelievable part was the number of people that thought (and still do, I'm sure) the game should have gone on.

Yachtzee
02-19-2007, 05:20 PM
Yep, not a fun one.

At least you weren't there when McSherry died. That wasn't fun either. It was unreasoningly hot that day.

Oddly enough, I think it had snowed in Dayton that morning. I remember driving down to Oxford to pick up my brother, wondering if they were going to play the game.