PDA

View Full Version : Mlb Tv

cincy09
02-17-2007, 12:52 AM
Looks like I'll have to join the masses and switch to MLB TV this season.
I see that they have a premium option for an extra $30 bucks.
I am wondering if this extra cost will be worth it? Is the quality going to be that much better?
If anyone has experience with MLB TV I would love to gain some insight before I purchase!

Unassisted
02-17-2007, 08:39 AM
I've had MLB.TV for two years. I like it because it brings in all of games (all games not involving Houston/Texas, since I'm in Astros/Rangers territory), doesn't require putting a dish on my house and costs less than MLBEI.

You'll need a fast computer and a fast connection to take full advantage of the premium version. I'm sticking with the cheaper one.

Caveman Techie
02-17-2007, 11:52 AM
If you are in the market of the team your wanting to watch, don't bother with it. You will not be able to watch the games live.

If you live outside the market of the team you want to watch, it's freaking awesome.

Here is a link to the website you can check your zip code against. http://mlb.mlb.com/mlb/subscriptions/mlbtv.jsp

HumnHilghtFreel
02-17-2007, 04:09 PM
If you are in the market of the team your wanting to watch, don't bother with it. You will not be able to watch the games live.

If you live outside the market of the team you want to watch, it's freaking awesome.

Here is a link to the website you can check your zip code against. http://mlb.mlb.com/mlb/subscriptions/mlbtv.jsp

I think, but I'm not sure, that if you use a proxy server of some sort, you could get around the blackouts, but you didn't hear it from me lol

cincy09
02-17-2007, 08:29 PM
The blackout restrictions suck but they are not the problem right now.
I'm really just wondering about the overall quality and the differences between the regular and the premium.

Thanks again

Caveman Techie
02-17-2007, 08:56 PM
I think last season the difference was, the regular gave you access to all the archived games, and the premium gave you access to the archived games and the compressed games. The compressed games were where they cut the comercials and in-between pitch stuff out, you could watch every pitch of a game in about 40 minutes.

larks
02-17-2007, 09:04 PM
Im seriously considering buying MLB.TV this year. I just have a few questions for the veterans.
1.) I know I cant watch Reds games live ( I live in Columbus) but can I watched an archived version of the game at some point after the game?
2.) I see that Gameday Audio is part of the premium package. Can you listen to the audio broadcast over the video broadcast? Ive heard that has been an option in the past
3.) How is the video quality for the games. Are there many hiccups? I have Road Runner internet service
Thanks

Unassisted
02-17-2007, 11:09 PM
Im seriously considering buying MLB.TV this year. I just have a few questions for the veterans.
1.) I know I cant watch Reds games live ( I live in Columbus) but can I watched an archived version of the game at some point after the game?

Beginning about an hour after the game ends, you can watch the archive. After 6 AM the next day, you can watch the condensed game.

2.) I see that Gameday Audio is part of the premium package. Can you listen to the audio broadcast over the video broadcast? Ive heard that has been an option in the past

Since they both use the same media player, you'd need to use two computers to do that. They're bound to be out of sync, since they come from different streaming sources.

3.) How is the video quality for the games. Are there many hiccups? I have Road Runner internet service
ThanksThe 400K video is about as good as a VHS tape. Hiccups will depend a lot on what else your connection is doing (turn off BitTorrent during the game) and what your neighbors are doing with their connections if the cable company is pushing the limits on bandwidth in your neighborhood.

jmcclain19
02-18-2007, 05:02 AM
I've had MLB.TV for two years. I like it because it brings in all of games (all games not involving Houston/Texas, since I'm in Astros/Rangers territory), doesn't require putting a dish on my house and costs less than MLBEI.

You'll need a fast computer and a fast connection to take full advantage of the premium version. I'm sticking with the cheaper one.

Do you ever use the searchable mlb.tv database? I was wondering exactly how that works.

HumnHilghtFreel
02-18-2007, 06:32 AM
The main reason I want the mlb.tv deal is so that I can record and make highlight packages of the Reds' games.

Being able to watch all the other games is just extra incentive lol

larks
02-18-2007, 08:49 AM
Thanks, Unassisted

RawOwl UK
02-18-2007, 01:19 PM
I'll be signing up for another year :) Im waaaaaaaaay out of market. :) Hope to see plenty of day games. ;)

JaxRed
02-18-2007, 04:32 PM
I thought the condensed games only showed you the last pitch of each at bat

Unassisted
02-18-2007, 07:48 PM
Do you ever use the searchable mlb.tv database? I was wondering exactly how that works.

I think that requires the All Access pass. Being cheap, I've never had anything beyond the MLB.TV-only subscription. The full-game archives were indexed only by date and the available games were listed under the entry for that date.

OldRed1966
02-18-2007, 09:00 PM
The games on MLB TV are usually about 2-3 pitches behind live action.

SirFelixCat
02-18-2007, 11:03 PM
Unassisted, the way I'm reading it, you can NOT watch either the archive or the condensed game until 6am est the FOLLOWING DAY. IOW, if you don't watch the game live on MLB.tv, you can't catch it until 6am est the next day. That is the deal breaker for me.

Am I reading it wrong?!?

Unassisted
02-19-2007, 12:17 AM
Unassisted, the way I'm reading it, you can NOT watch either the archive or the condensed game until 6am est the FOLLOWING DAY. IOW, if you don't watch the game live on MLB.tv, you can't catch it until 6am est the next day. That is the deal breaker for me.

Am I reading it wrong?!?

I haven't read the current terms, so if that's what it says now, it must be a change from the last 2 years.

That change wouldn't bother me so much, since I subscribe so that I can watch live.

Unassisted
02-19-2007, 12:19 AM
The games on MLB TV are usually about 2-3 pitches behind live action.

If you don't listen to the radio or check into RedsZone during the game, you'll never know the difference. ;)