PDA

View Full Version : Roger Clemens: "I don't want to play."

savafan
02-17-2007, 08:03 AM
http://www.boston.com/sports/baseball/articles/2007/02/17/clemens_puts_odds_of_return_at_20_percent/

By From Wire Services | February 17, 2007

Roger Clemens has given himself just a 20 percent chance of returning to the mound next season.

"[My son] Koby asked me when we were working out, he was doing more of a workout than I was," Clemens told Houston television station KRIV-TV in an interview quoted on MLB.com yesterday.

"I still told him 80-20 that I wasn't going to play.

"We get little notes at my foundation about people saying they wish I would make up my mind and decide because I am leaving people hanging. I'm not leaving anybody hanging.

"I don't want to play," added Clemens, a seven-time Cy Young Award winner.

If Clemens, 44, does return for a 24th season, it will probably be back with the Astros, Yankees, or Red Sox.

"The teams that are involved, I think they've got really good clubs that are together, and if somebody stubs their toe and my phone rings in May, I might have to think about it," Clemens said.

oneupper
02-17-2007, 08:04 AM
Just retire already...sheesh.

Red in Chicago
02-17-2007, 08:59 AM
if he doesn't want to play, then why is it 80 - 20? fuzzy math:laugh:

Chip R
02-17-2007, 09:02 AM
Translation: No one has offered the right kind of deal yet.

Krusty
02-17-2007, 09:52 AM
I love Roger's negotiating tactics. Too bad I can't use that line with my employer.

redsfan30
02-17-2007, 09:59 AM
I've grown so tired of Roger Clemens and Brett Favre's acts over the past couple years. If you want to play, play....if you want to retire, retire.

macro
02-17-2007, 10:11 AM
Translation: No one has offered the right kind of deal yet.

...and Roger doesn't just want the money and the special priviledges, but also for someone to beg.

blumj
02-17-2007, 10:22 AM
It's not really them as much as it is the media. I mean, they're allowed to be undecided for a while after every season, aren't they? Isn't that just normal when you're getting up there? Most athletes who are over a certain age have some of that uncertainty, the problem is that the media obsesses over it in advance with some stars. It's not a story until there's a decision to report, it's the media trying to make the uncertainty itself into a story that drives everyone nuts. It was a story when Roger said he was going to retire, it was a story when he said he changed his mind and was going to pitch, all the other stuff, the "I haven't decided yet" stuff, if they had a brain in their heads or any standards at all, they'd just ignore it. Not a story, talk about something else until it becomes one.

KoryMac5
02-17-2007, 10:36 AM
So 80-20 doesn't leave fans hanging, yeah right.

UKFlounder
02-17-2007, 10:44 AM
It's not really them as much as it is the media. I mean, they're allowed to be undecided for a while after every season, aren't they? Isn't that just normal when you're getting up there? Most athletes who are over a certain age have some of that uncertainty, the problem is that the media obsesses over it in advance with some stars. It's not a story until there's a decision to report, it's the media trying to make the uncertainty itself into a story that drives everyone nuts. It was a story when Roger said he was going to retire, it was a story when he said he changed his mind and was going to pitch, all the other stuff, the "I haven't decided yet" stuff, if they had a brain in their heads or any standards at all, they'd just ignore it. Not a story, talk about something else until it becomes one.

Great post. Perhaps I'm wrong, but I doubt he is picking up the phone, calling the media and saying "I'm not sure."

They ask him a question, he answers it, they turn it into a story, and it appears that he is begging for attention. I know he likes the attention, and he can always refuse to answer the questions, but if has no definite answer, why report that?

Blimpie
02-17-2007, 11:00 AM
That means there is an 80% chance that his agent will be asking the Yankees/Red Sox for $20 million to pitch this season.

But only after they break camp this Spring. Because there is a 100% chance that he will not be attending Spring Training.

KronoRed
02-17-2007, 01:25 PM
Gotta keep his name in the news till he announces his inevitable return

fearofpopvol1
02-17-2007, 01:35 PM
I've grown so tired of Roger Clemens and Brett Favre's acts over the past couple years. If you want to play, play....if you want to retire, retire.

Brett Favre at least makes definitive decisions long before the seasons start. Can't say the same thing about Roger.

redsfanmia
02-17-2007, 04:13 PM
Please go away, I am so tired of your act.

Spitball
02-17-2007, 04:17 PM
I doubt the Red Sox would even want to mess with their rotation by signing Clemens. It looks pretty well stocked from one through five.

I do believe Clemens is at least partially motivated to come back by his desire to stay ahead of Randy Johnson in the all-time strikeout list.

Grounds_Crew
02-17-2007, 05:13 PM

Very well said!

As for my prediction. Either the Astros, Yankees, or Red Sox will be a league leader that needs him because of either an injury or some other underlying factor and Clemens will demand big bucks...yet he will come in and be lights out. He's a great pitcher who still has enough in him to help a contending team.

KoryMac5
02-17-2007, 05:24 PM
I just can't see the Astros being major players since Petite went to NY. They more than likely will be leverage.

savafan
02-17-2007, 05:26 PM
What difference would it have made on the Astros 2006 season if they'd have had Clemens from the beginning? They may have won the division. The season is 162 games long and starts in April, not June or July.

Highlifeman21
02-17-2007, 05:36 PM
I doubt the Red Sox would even want to mess with their rotation by signing Clemens. It looks pretty well stocked from one through five.

I do believe Clemens is at least partially motivated to come back by his desire to stay ahead of Randy Johnson in the all-time strikeout list.

I don't see Johnson passing Clemens on the K list. Randy just doesn't strike that many out anymore.

blumj
02-17-2007, 05:48 PM
What difference would it have made on the Astros 2006 season if they'd have had Clemens from the beginning? They may have won the division. The season is 162 games long and starts in April, not June or July.
Maybe, but at his age, he probably can't pitch a whole season anymore.

Raisor
02-17-2007, 06:16 PM
If Roger can get a team to pay him for pitching once ever 20 games, if thats what he wants. More power to him.

jmcclain19
02-17-2007, 07:06 PM
Clemens has more than earned the right to pull this if he wants. He probably the best pitcher in baseball in the last 20 years. Same with Favre.

Both Football and baseball will be worse off when both are gone from the game.

Razor Shines
02-17-2007, 07:11 PM
Great post. Perhaps I'm wrong, but I doubt he is picking up the phone, calling the media and saying "I'm not sure."

They ask him a question, he answers it, they turn it into a story, and it appears that he is begging for attention. I know he likes the attention, and he can always refuse to answer the questions, but if has no definite answer, why report that?

He's probably just as tired of answering the question as some are of hearing his answers. People say their tired of hearing about him but still take the time to read about him and post about him on a sports site.

George Foster
02-17-2007, 08:59 PM
He wants to be the first player/coach since Rose.

blumj
02-17-2007, 10:33 PM
He wants to be the first player/coach since Rose.

He really doesn't strike me as the coach type. I could see player/owner, maybe.

Cedric
02-17-2007, 10:37 PM
This guy has a bigger head than Barry Bonds. I'm not kidding. Get close to him sometime.

TexRed
02-17-2007, 11:35 PM
He'll play this year, but it will be on his terms. It will also be with the Astros. Drayton will not lose him to George. After all, he paid Kobe a big chunk of change over slot money so he would influence Roger. Roger wants to build a golf course, so he'll keep busy until mid season.

thatcoolguy_22
02-18-2007, 12:20 AM
This guy has a bigger head than Barry Bonds. I'm not kidding. Get close to him sometime.

playing around with a needle can do that... As well as prolong your career into your mid 40s and give you legs as big as a house.

MegasAlexandros
02-19-2007, 11:28 AM
Clemens has more than earned the right to pull this if he wants. He probably the best pitcher in baseball in the last 20 years. Same with Favre.

Both Football and baseball will be worse off when both are gone from the game.

http://artfiles.art.com/images/-/Pedro-Martinez---2004-Pitching-Action-Photofile-Photograph-C11814167.jpeg

savafan
02-19-2007, 12:07 PM
Pedro at his height may be the best pitcher ever.

Astrobuddy
02-19-2007, 12:34 PM
Clemens over his career may be the best ever. But he is at least in the top 5 of all time.

Clemens will play for the Astros or no one.

Pettitte has nothing to do with it.

Handofdeath
02-19-2007, 12:35 PM
playing around with a needle can do that... As well as prolong your career into your mid 40s and give you legs as big as a house.

Which may be part of the reason why he's waiting. The Mitchell investigation is still going on. When he's not on a team pitching that means he's not being drug tested.

MartyFan
02-19-2007, 02:29 PM
Says here that Roger Clemens may not play baseball this year...yawn....oh look, Tire World has tires on sale. Great price I wish I needed some...yawn...next!