PDA

View Full Version : Adam Dunn reports early

Redlegs
02-19-2007, 10:33 AM
According to John Fay's blog, Dunner in camp early, in shape, ready to go.
__________________________________________________ _______

Monday, February 19, 2007
Dunn talks the talk

"I just don't want to be good. I want to be a great one. I think I can." If you guessed that's Adam Dunn talking about playing left field, you ought to try to guess lottery numbers. But Dunn did indeed say that. He reported today, looking like he's in good shape. "I ate better," he said. He also ran more. And he worked some hitting coach Brook Jacoby.

Dunn didn't know what he weighed. But he looks fit enough to challenge for the heavyweight title in his beloved Ultimate Fighting Championship.

He seems determined and ready to put last year behind him. "I'm try to forget about that."

Obviously, he'll be tomorrow's story, or rather one of them. Josh Hamilton has his press conference at 2 p.m.

Back to Dunn, here's what Jerry Narron had to say about him yesterday: “Everybody gets on him about a lot of different things. I think there’s lot of people who look at him for what he cannot do instead of what he does for us. That’s part of the business we’re in. The baseball business people look at the negative side of things a lot of times.”

But Dunn created a lot of positive vibe for himself by showing up early, in good shape and saying that he wants to get better.

danken12
02-19-2007, 10:35 AM
To continue w/ this. This from Trent's Blog::

Dunn debate

SARASOTA, Fla. -- Adam Dunn's here and have at it.

Dunn looks noticably leaner, he said he's done more running and eating much better. New hitting coach Brook Jacoby visited him for about a month ago in Houston.

Dunn said he just wants to forget last season, when he 40 home runs, drove in 92 runs and scored 99 runs. He also hit .234, struck out a major league high 194 times and committed 13 errors.

"I’m trying ot get that out of my head, first of all," Dunn said. "I spent all offseason thinking about how hard the last two months of the season were for me; I was terrible. I don’t want that to happen to me again."

Reds manager Jerry Narron said he's very impressed by what he's seen of Dunn so far.

"I love that he's here early and he's in great shape," Narron said. "Just talking to him, I love what he says about defense and being the best leftfielder he can be."

Narron said there's no plans on playing Dunn at first base.

Dunn said he's looking to concentrate on defense this spring.

"That’s something I’ve probably taken a little too lightly in the past," Dunn said. "That’s going to be my main focus this spring, not to be a good one, but a great one. And I think I can."

Let the Dunn bashing comments begin...

Redlegs
02-19-2007, 10:36 AM
I hope he comes in and has a great season. His performance obviously is a huge determining factor on the club's success in '07.

MartyFan
02-19-2007, 10:41 AM
Dunn didn't say he wants to be better...he said he wants to be great! I want him to be great.

Here's to Adam Dunn showing up early, in shape and with something to prove to himself!

I love it!

Tommyjohn25
02-19-2007, 10:51 AM
Way to go Adam, ignore the critics and just show them on the field what you came to do. I love that he doesn't typically lower himself to the levels of the "Dunn bashers".

Heath
02-19-2007, 10:54 AM
Marty's still pissed at him. He didn't run out to his gate through security to the airport or down to baggage claim.

:D

George Anderson
02-19-2007, 10:56 AM
Way to go Adam, ignore the critics and just show them on the field what you came to do. I love that he doesn't typically lower himself to the levels of the "Dunn bashers".

I am more inclined to think he is tired of listening to his critics and is out to prove them wrong.

SunDeck
02-19-2007, 10:58 AM
According to Marty, Dunn heard there was going to be free food and a massage chair for anyone who showed up early.

creek14
02-19-2007, 10:59 AM
Maybe having the responsibility of a wife and child made him rethink his life and goals.

RollyInRaleigh
02-19-2007, 11:01 AM
I am more inclined to think he is tired of listening to his critics and is out to prove them wrong.

That would not be a bad thing. In shape, working with a purpose on his defense and not just going through the motions, and getting with the new hitting coach early to work on what happened late last season. All positives.

Red Leader
02-19-2007, 11:01 AM
I'm telling you guys, I've heard absolutely nothing this offseason but good things about Adam. I knew he was lifting really hard and was dedicated to lifting with Jay Bruce. I didn't know he was dieting, or eating better and didn't know he was running as much as he was. Those are all good signs. I think Dunn has a tremendous amount of natural talent and I think if the guy just gets motivated (whatever it takes to do that) he can put up some huge numbers. I really hope this is the year. All signs to this point look good.

Redlegs
02-19-2007, 11:03 AM
Maybe having the responsibility of a wife and child made him rethink his life and goals.
Good point. Also, maybe he's just doing what the rest of us have done as we changed our mindset as we get a little older. Maybe he's coming to grips with the fact the numbers he puts up (positive or negative) will be in stat books and cyber space for the rest of time. That's what makes baseball the best game on the planet.

Ltlabner
02-19-2007, 11:05 AM
I'm telling you guys, I've heard absolutely nothing this offseason but good things about Adam. I knew he was lifting really hard and was dedicated to lifting with Jay Bruce. I didn't know he was dieting, or eating better and didn't know he was running as much as he was. Those are all good signs. I think Dunn has a tremendous amount of natural talent and I think if the guy just gets motivated (whatever it takes to do that) he can put up some huge numbers. I really hope this is the year. All signs to this point look good.

And something could be said for being given the role of "mentor". Sometimes people with lots of tallent can get lazy, especially when they are on a crap team. But perhaps the role of mentor, teaching Jay, having some responibility re-lit his enthusasim for the game a bit? Also, having a tallented youngster around might be pushing him a bit from either real or implied competition.

The wife and kid doesn't hurt either.

Red Leader
02-19-2007, 11:09 AM

It sure kicked my ass into shape.

Very good point, creek.

redsmetz
02-19-2007, 11:10 AM
So has anyone posted any photos of the new and improved Dunner yet?
I can't find any.

dunner13
02-19-2007, 11:13 AM
It sounds like batting .234 woke dunn up. I really think dunn has the potential to bat .280 and hit 45-50 homerurns maybe this is the year he finally wakes up and does it.

savafan
02-19-2007, 11:20 AM
This is a big part of why Jacoby was hired. Gotta love it!

AdamDunn
02-19-2007, 11:22 AM
Dunn didn't say he wants to be better...he said he wants to be great! I want him to be great.

Here's to Adam Dunn showing up early, in shape and with something to prove to himself!

I love it!

So true. I'm excited to see Adam Dunn this season. Hard work pays off. Nice work Dunner!

roby
02-19-2007, 11:25 AM

Dunn debate

Dunn looks noticably leaner, he said he's done more running and eating much better. New hitting coach Brook Jacoby visited him for about a month ago in Houston.

Dunn said he just wants to forget last season, when he 40 home runs, drove in 92 runs and scored 99 runs. He also hit .234, struck out a major league high 194 times and committed 13 errors.

"I’m trying ot get that out of my head, first of all," Dunn said. "I spent all offseason thinking about how hard the last two months of the season were for me; I was terrible. I don’t want that to happen to me again."

Reds manager Jerry Narron said he's very impressed by what he's seen of Dunn so far.

"I love that he's here early and he's in great shape," Narron said. "Just talking to him, I love what he says about defense and being the best leftfielder he can be."

"That’s something I’ve probably taken a little too lightly in the past," Dunn said. "That’s going to be my main focus this spring, not to be a good one, but a great one. And I think I can."

Nothing to bash here. this is good news. :thumbup:

shredda2000
02-19-2007, 11:40 AM
I don't know about you guys...but this Dunn story has inspired me to lose 10 lbs., join a Church Softball League (at age 40) and start eating better...well this story and instructions from my doctor...:laugh:

M2
02-19-2007, 11:55 AM
It's good to hear he paid attention to diet and exercise over the winter. I hope Dunn hires a personal trainer at some point. For instance, it's good to hear he's running more, but with that frame of his he needs a sensible running program or he's going to rattle something loose.

I'd like to see the big guy do a lot of swimming. It's great for core strength and flexibility and it's got zero impact on the joints.

westofyou
02-19-2007, 12:05 PM
It's good to hear he paid attention to diet and exercise over the winter. I hope Dunn hires a personal trainer at some point. For instance, it's good to hear he's running more, but with that frame of his he needs a sensible running program or he's going to rattle something loose.

I'd like to see the big guy do a lot of swimming. It's great for core strength and flexibility and it's got zero impact on the joints.

Running in water would be a good tool for him, Chris Chelios (my current hero) has a stationary bike in the Wings sauna, every pro in every sport should have to work out with Chelly at least once in their life.

SunDeck
02-19-2007, 12:06 PM

By swimming I hope you mean exercising in water.
Poor swimming technique can lead to shoulder problems, which happens when people think they can start swimming instead of other exercise without having had much experience or training.
Water aerobics or water jogging might be a better route for a big man if he's not a proficient swimmer.

flyer85
02-19-2007, 12:16 PM
I am more inclined to think he is tired of listening to his critics and is out to prove them wrong.I am inclined to think he could care less what his critics say.

George Anderson
02-19-2007, 12:27 PM
I am inclined to think he could care less what his critics say.

Well judging by recent events, something has changed in the attitude of one Adam Dunn. Maybe he wants to shut his critics or maybe not. I think more often than not its human nature to want shut your critics up and prove them wrong.

Chip R
02-19-2007, 12:29 PM

Now just stop that. You're going to get creek all worked up at the image of Adam in a Speedo. ;)

Falls City Beer
02-19-2007, 12:32 PM

Damn skippy.

Take it from a fellow 6'6"-er who used to run regularly. Swim, dude. Just swim.

Gainesville Red
02-19-2007, 12:35 PM
I am inclined to think he could care less what his critics say.

I agree. Obviously, I don't know the guy and haven't talked to him about his reasons for keeping in better shape during the offseason.

But I sort of thought it had more to do with, in his eyes, having a bad season. He's probably a natural enough athlete that he's never really struggled for a long period of time before. He looked absolutley clueless at the end of last season, and decided he didn't like it. Decided a way to stop that was to be in better shape for the long season.

So I think it has more to do with Dunn deciding he wants to be better and take his job more seriously for himself (wife and kid probably don't hurt either) rather than because some of his critics have blasted him religiously. He doesn't strike me as a guy that gives much of a damn who says what about him.

But again, I don't know him personally, so who knows.

Yachtzee
02-19-2007, 12:39 PM
Now just stop that. You're going to get creek all worked up at the image of Adam in a Speedo. ;)

Creek's new favorite song?...

"Please bring me a towel, Mr. Tangerine Speedo..."

Team Clark
02-19-2007, 12:42 PM

ME thinks this has a lot to do with his improved commitment. Let's just hope it sticks. He showed renewed commitment after Austin was jettisoned and then went back to his old ways. Here's hoping he can be one of the best! :thumbup:

lollipopcurve
02-19-2007, 12:46 PM
It's a good sign for sure. I like that Narron is talking about giving him a little more rest -- Dunn is going to have periods when he struggles badly, and a day off now and then to get his head cleared and body recharged may really pay off for him. I also like that Narron has always supported Dunn publicly, and in more than just a token way.

TOBTTReds
02-19-2007, 12:51 PM

Yup...He's been working out a lot more so he isn't at home so much!:devil:

Razor Shines
02-19-2007, 12:51 PM

Dunn debate

This is all well and good, but just exactly how long is about a "monthago"? Adam Dunn is so lazy that he had to invent new phrases for lengths of time, just to hide how short these sessions really were. a "monthago" is probably like 15 minutes. I'm tired of Dunn getting off easier than the rest of the team, I've had it with him.

TStuck
02-19-2007, 01:40 PM
I don't want to put words in people's mouths, but I really believe that the source of most of the Dunn bashing that has gone on the last couple of years is frustration over what most people perceive to be a player with the potential to be great, but who, for whatever reason, appeared to be content with just being good. In many cases, the difference between the good player and the great player isn't talent, but drive and desire.
Adam's quotes certainly sound like he's discovered a new source of "hunger" or drive to be great (not just good). I LIKE THIS A LOT! Family certainly has a big impact on this - also just maturing in general. While I also agree that Adam isn't doing this solely in response to his various critics, that could certainly add a little "take that!" attitude to his new dedication which isn't a bad thing.
Here's to one kick tail season from Adam!!!:beerme:

Gainesville Red
02-19-2007, 02:20 PM
http://us.news2.yimg.com/us.yimg.com/p/ap/20070219/capt.flab10302191856.reds_spring_baseball_flab103. jpg

Wheelhouse
02-19-2007, 02:23 PM
It's great news Dunn has taken care of himself this season and jacked up his regimen. In addition, for him to admit that his efforts were not on par before and that he didn't take his defense seriously enough shows what a stand-up guy he is. I know it's a bitter pill for some Dunn fans on the board to swallow after defending his work-ethic, but from the horse's mouth, he knew he didn't put professional effort into all aspects of his game (but evidently has this off-season). In any event, let's hope he starts getting the most out of his talent this year. Go Adam!

Redlegs
02-19-2007, 03:11 PM
I don't know about you guys...but this Dunn story has inspired me to lose 10 lbs., join a Church Softball League (at age 40) and start eating better...well this story and instructions from my doctor...:laugh:

You also need to think about getting your prostate checked once per year now that you've reached the big 4-0. Remember, an ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure.:thumbup:

flyer85
02-19-2007, 03:24 PM
Well judging by recent events, something has changed in the attitude of one Adam Dunn. I have never seen any evidence he cares what his critics think. I think the motivation comes fom within, especially after a disappointing season.

red-in-la
02-19-2007, 04:18 PM
Damn skippy.

Take it from a fellow 6'6"-er who used to run regularly. Swim, dude. Just swim.

We just finished the pool in the back yard last week.....from a fellow 6'-7" er (300 pounder), swimming is all I can do now that I am in my 50's.

Jogging went by the boards quite a few years ago and biking died out two years ago.

I am really into treading water.....sort of like riding a bike in the water but with the added upper body (arms) workout.

Krash
02-19-2007, 04:21 PM
Anyone think Dunn just loses interests toward the end of the season?

reds44
02-19-2007, 04:28 PM
That is great to hear. Hopefully he'll have a great season.

Johnny Footstool
02-19-2007, 04:31 PM
Anyone think Dunn just loses interests toward the end of the season?

No, I think he gets worn out from carrying his massive frame out into left field every single day.

edabbs44
02-19-2007, 04:33 PM
No, I think he gets worn out from carrying his massive frame out into left field every single day.

Maybe that's why he walks out to his position?

Someone fwd this to Marty. :)

Red Leader
02-19-2007, 04:35 PM

Baseball is not a good sport to play when you are drained or tired. Even a tenth of a second delay in your swing because your arms are tired, or a tenth of a second in running speed because your legs are tired makes a huge difference.

OnBaseMachine
02-19-2007, 04:37 PM
I have serious man-love for Adam Dunn. I hope this guy remains a Cincinnati Reds until the day he retires (hopefully after he has broken the all-time HR record!).

Johnny Footstool
02-19-2007, 04:43 PM

I'm sure it's why he doesn't do wind-sprints out there every inning.

Beyond that, I'm fairly certain a move to 1B would be best for him, both defensively and from a standpoint of helping him endure the full season.

Of course, I think it would do the same for Griffey, too.

fearofpopvol1
02-19-2007, 04:47 PM
I'll be the first to admit that I've been critical of Dunn and a lot of things he has done, but after reading this, you can't help but be optimisitc and cheer him for this. I hope he does not disappoint.

M2
02-19-2007, 10:13 PM
http://us.news2.yimg.com/us.yimg.com/p/ap/20070219/capt.flab10302191856.reds_spring_baseball_flab103. jpg

He certainly looks good in that shot.

TheWalls
02-19-2007, 10:43 PM
Two key things:

1) Adam has about 13 MILLION reasons to have a great year (his option for next year!)
2) Marty is NOT a hypocrite. He knows how he likes the game to be played. If Adam backs up his talk with action, I guarantee Marty will be the first to acknowledge it.

jmac
02-19-2007, 11:06 PM
One magazine said Howard may hit 60 homers.
How about a race with Dunner and Howard to get there !

vaticanplum
02-20-2007, 12:03 AM

One thing I have always loved so much about Adam Dunn is that he's a flat-out sunshine boy. He's blond, he has a baby face, and despite all our argument about his baseball abilities one way or another, he possesses a quality that kills me, absolutely knocks me out in baseball players: he always looks happy to be there. There is something about him that just makes me think of an 8-year-old overjoyed to be playing baseball. I can't really put it into words, but I recognize it when I see it on the field, and it's really why I've loved him all along. I know he was a football player and that's really more his build, but I can't picture him battling the snow and the rain of the NFL playoffs nearly as well. There's something about the way he looks that suits baseball and spring, and baseball and spring very much suit him. He looks like a beginning of something.

I know that's not what you meant by "looking good", but all these pictures are making me twitterpated :)

Ron Madden
02-20-2007, 05:37 AM
One magazine said Howard may hit 60 homers.
How about a race with Dunner and Howard to get there !

I don't give a damn about home runs.

Marty

BoydsOfSummer
02-20-2007, 05:57 AM
Dunn brings fresh perspective to camp
Slimmed-down slugger re-dedicates himself at plate, in field
By Mark Sheldon / MLB.com

SARASOTA, Fla. -- Reds left fielder Adam Dunn had the required ingredients on Monday to put last season behind him.

An early arrival to camp? Check. A slimmed down physique? Definitely.

A renewed attitude and dedication to the game?

Believe it.

"I'm just ready to get going and forget about last year," said Dunn, who arrived two days ahead of the position players' reporting date.

Dunn hit 40 home runs last season, the third consecutive season he's reached that mark. He also led the National League with 112 walks. But he also batted just .234 with 92 RBIs and scored 99 runs while leading the Majors with 194 strikeouts.

It was the final two months of the 2006 season that seemed to sting Dunn the most. He batted .176 (33-for-188) from Aug. 1 through the end of the season.

"I spent all offseason thinking. The last two months on me were terrible," Dunn said. "I'll try to do everything I can not to let that happen again."

Dunn, 27, looked like he dropped a few pounds off of his 6-foot-6, 275-pound frame during the winter.

"I think I ate a lot better," he said. "That's probably the main thing. I didn't really change my workout. I just ate better. I lifted a lot, did a lot more running than I usually do. I just tried to clear my mind and start over."

Reds manager Jerry Narron was impressed by what he saw.

"I love that he's here early," Narron said. "I love that he worked hard this winter. He's in great shape right now. It's awesome."

Also pleasing Narron was that Dunn had already gotten together with new hitting coach Brook Jacoby during the offseason. Jacoby worked with Dunn when he was still a prospect in the Minor Leagues, and there's hope he can help him cut down on the strikeout totals.

"[Jacoby] came down about a month ago, and we talked about some stuff and we hit a little bit together," Dunn said. "He's seen me at my best, so he knows what I need to work on."

"Adam has a chance to put up numbers in this game that only a very few guys have," Narron said. "What, he's only 27 years old? How many home runs does he have?"

Dunn has 198 career homers.

"He knows he can be a great player in the Major Leagues for quite a while," Narron continued. "I think the way he's come in shape here shows he's dedicated to being the very best player he can be. If he does that, the numbers will take care of [themselves]."

For most of his seven-year career in the Majors, Dunn has been known mainly as the hulking strikeout-prone slugger that's launched tape-measure homers at ballparks around the league.

Good defense was never part of that reputation, and for good reason. Dunn committed 13 errors last season and has been a below-average outfielder much of his career.

Dunn wants that to change, too. He plans to work on his defense often with outfield coaches Billy Hatcher and Ed Napoleon.

"That's something I probably took a little too lightly in the past," Dunn said. "That's going to be my main focus this spring. Not to just be a good [outfielder], I'm going to try and be a great one. I think I can."

"I liked hearing what he had to say about playing defense and getting out there and working at it and being the best left fielder he can possibly be," Narron said.

At this time last year, Dunn was preparing himself for a possible position change to first base. He had a new first baseman's glove and played some exhibition games there.

"I have no plans of putting him over at first base," Narron declared on Monday.

"Good, that'll work," Dunn said. "I'll concentrate on the main thing now."

A leaner, meaner and more complete Dunn can only help the Reds be competitive in the NL Central race.

"He's got a tremendous inner desire, inner drive to be an outstanding player," Narron said. "He just doesn't show it at times, or people don't see it. I don't think people see the drive he's got."

Mark Sheldon is a reporter for MLB.com. This story was not subject to the approval of Major League Baseball or its clubs.

redsmetz
02-20-2007, 06:12 AM
I like this a lot. A renewed Adam Dunn, serious about his job and chastened over the poor finish to the season, missing "what could have been". That can only be good news!

RFS62
02-20-2007, 08:22 AM

I'd like to see him do some gator wrestling. Combine the swimming with a brisk gator whuppin' workout.

It would really add to the legend, ya know.

Triples
02-20-2007, 08:34 AM

Its possible its a little of both; and not just for Adam Dunn size players. 162 games stuffed into 6 months is a grind whether you're Ryan Freel or Adam Dunn and it takes a toll. Fatigue has to set in at some point. And, phyiscial fatigue will lead to mental fatigue. Vince Lomardi once said:"Fatigue makes cowards of us all". It takes alot of fortitude, both mental and physical, to play at the same level in August/September as they do in April.

redsmetz
02-20-2007, 08:46 AM
I'd like to see him do some gator wrestling. Combine the swimming with a brisk gator whuppin' workout.

It would really add to the legend, ya know.

I think they'd have to run a caveat about no animals being harmed in the filming etc, but I think this is what you're looking for. Of course, I'm not sure I want to see AD in a loin cloth, even if he is wearing black swimming trunks underneath.

http://www.tomheroes.com/images/COMICsparkler53tarzan.jpg

Roy Tucker
02-20-2007, 08:50 AM
Dunn brings fresh perspective to camp

A leaner, meaner and more complete Dunn can only help the Reds be competitive in the NL Central race.

"He's got a tremendous inner desire, inner drive to be an outstanding player," Narron said. "He just doesn't show it at times, or people don't see it. I don't think people see the drive he's got."

This is all great news. I remember Yaz doing this in 1967 and elevating his career to HoF levels.

redsmetz
02-20-2007, 08:59 AM
This is all great news. I remember Yaz doing this in 1967 and elevating his career to HoF levels.

That's a dramatic change. I'd love to see Dunn put up such numbers. I'm not saying it's going to happen, but wow, that would be something.

Year Ag Tm Lg G AB R H 2B 3B HR RBI SB CS BB SO BA OBP SLG *OPS+ TB SH SF IBB HBP GDP
1966 26 BOS AL 160 594 81 165 39 2 16 80 8 9 84 60 .278 .368 .431 120 256 0 1 10 1 17 MVP-28,AS
1967 27 BOS AL 161 579 112 189 31 4 44 121 10 8 91 69 .326 .418 .622 195 360 1 5 11 4 5 MVP-1,AS

Heath
02-20-2007, 10:30 AM
That's a dramatic change. I'd love to see Dunn put up such numbers. I'm not saying it's going to happen, but wow, that would be something.

Year Ag Tm Lg G AB R H 2B 3B HR RBI SB CS BB SO BA OBP SLG *OPS+ TB SH SF IBB HBP GDP
1966 26 BOS AL 160 594 81 165 39 2 16 80 8 9 84 60 .278 .368 .431 120 256 0 1 10 1 17 MVP-28,AS
1967 27 BOS AL 161 579 112 189 31 4 44 121 10 8 91 69 .326 .418 .622 195 360 1 5 11 4 5 MVP-1,AS

You could even switch the .326 with .278 and I'd be giddy.

scounts22
02-20-2007, 10:47 AM

He looks good in every shot! :luvu:

M2
02-20-2007, 11:39 AM
You could even switch the .326 with .278 and I'd be giddy.

True enough, if Dunn could pick up 40-50 points in BA he'd be the terror of the western world.

BRM
02-20-2007, 11:41 AM
True enough, if Dunn could pick up 40-50 points in BA he'd be the terror of the western world.

What if he raises his batting average 50 points but still strikes out 180+ times? Will heads explode?

FutureRedsGM
02-20-2007, 11:58 AM
What if he raises his batting average 50 points but still strikes out 180+ times? Will heads explode?

Using last years stats:

A rise of .050 in BA would get Dunn to a more than respectable .284. Extrapolating the stats, you would find that would mean a HR total of 48 and an RBI total of 112. If you couple that with an increase in runs scored and the increased BA, I don't think the Dunn bashers would have much more to complain about, regardless of the Ks.

M2
02-20-2007, 12:49 PM

Well, we'd certainly find out where the rubber hits the road on BA vs. Ks.

edabbs44
02-20-2007, 01:05 PM

I don't think anyone would care if he whiffed 180 times...he'd be cutting down his Ks and it would be an improvement. :) Honestly, if he hit .280 he could whiff all he wants. But I cannot see him raising his avg 50 points w/o cutting down his strikeouts. It would take a miracle.

BRM
02-20-2007, 01:11 PM
I don't think anyone would care if he whiffed 180 times...he'd be cutting down his Ks and it would be an improvement. :) Honestly, if he hit .280 he could whiff all he wants. But I cannot see him raising his avg 50 points w/o cutting down his strikeouts. It would take a miracle.

I'm not sure he could either. My post was more in jest than anything.

TeamBoone
02-20-2007, 01:44 PM
As much as people keep talking about him walking to his position, I've never seen it... unless he's talking to someone along the way, which he sometimes does. But even then, once they get beyond the infield and separate toward their respective positions, he jogs.

And he jogs off the field... always (at least in every game I've attended).

savafan
02-20-2007, 01:50 PM
As much as people keep talking about him walking to his position, I've never seen it... unless he's talking to someone along the way, which he sometimes does. But even then, once they get beyond the infield and separate toward their respective positions, he jogs.

And he jogs off the field... always (at least in every game I've attended).

Same here TB

redsfanmia
02-20-2007, 02:30 PM
He does look good in that picture, is that from 2002? I hope that he is serious about improving and I hope he is taking his conditions seriously. I hope its not just lip service.

BoydsOfSummer
02-20-2007, 03:18 PM
If he hit .284 with 180 K's, wouldn't that make him a '4 True Outcome' guy? :cool:

George Anderson
02-20-2007, 03:21 PM
He looks good in every shot! :luvu:

I can see it now. Adam Dunn hocking Nutri System with Dan Marino!!

"Hello I'm Adam Dunn and I can lose weight and still eat like a man":

Yachtzee
02-20-2007, 03:39 PM

Or he could cut down on walks. I'm sure that would please some people, but if it results in him lowering is OBP, that could result in fewer runs scored. I'd like to see him up his BA, but only within the larger context of OBP. If he increases his BA to the detriment of his OBP and run scoring, then it's not much of a help.

Heath
02-20-2007, 04:14 PM
Adam Dunn reminds me a little of Mickey Tettleton. High BB/High K/High OPS/Low BA

Adam's got more power potential though.

Falls City Beer
02-20-2007, 04:59 PM
While I think it's great that Dunn is getting into better shape (and think that will help his game), I dislike the fact that a new batting coach with his "better mousetrap" approach is getting ready to get his mitts on him. Dunn seems to perform best when coached least. Keep up the workouts, Adam, but don't change your game; it's a very good one.

XRedsfan07
02-20-2007, 05:06 PM
While I think it's great that Dunn is getting into better shape (and think that will help his game), I dislike the fact that a new batting coach with his "better mousetrap" approach is getting ready to get his mitts on him. Dunn seems to perform best when coached least. Keep up the workouts, Adam, but don't change your game; it's a very good one.

But since Jacoby has worked with him before, it's somewhat like having the same coach again. And I do wonder about Dunn's success under him (and yes, I recognize that was AAA pitching he was slaughtering).

redsmetz
02-20-2007, 05:08 PM
But since Jacoby has worked with him before, it's somewhat like having the same coach again. And I do wonder about Dunn's success under him (and yes, I recognize that was AAA pitching he was slaughtering).

Oops! This comment was from me - I didn't realize my son was logged in already. He's much more articulate than this!

Razor Shines
02-20-2007, 08:32 PM
I found out what he's actually been doing to get in shape this off season:
http://123pichosting.com/images/6018bladesofglory6.jpg
Who knew he was into figure skating?

Sean_CaseyRules
02-20-2007, 08:39 PM

I love it!

Here's to dunner! :beerme: :beerme: