PDA

View Full Version : Paul Wilson at camp

Dunner44
02-19-2007, 01:32 PM
Ok, so I know discussing PW is a bit like beating a dead horse :deadhorse:

However, he got the call to come to camp this year, and I'm really digging his long hair ;). What are the chances that he has any stuff left in his arm? I loved his good year for the Reds, it was great to see him overcome adversity and injuries and have a good year for once, and his dedication in rehabbing is a reason he's still a fan favorite even if he may never help the team again.

Paul's New Look (http://cmsimg.enquirer.com/apps/pbcsi.dll/bilde?NewTbl=1&Avis=AB&Dato=20070219&Kategori=SPT04&Lopenr=702190801&Ref=PH&Item=18&MaxH=320&MaxW=375&Border=1)

So will Paul be able to even throw at AAA this year? Will he be a surprise addition to the club as a long reliever? Will he win the 5th starter spot (hyper wishful thinking there) or will he be out of baseball or bouncing around in AA somewhere?

kaldaniels
02-19-2007, 01:35 PM
Didn't he have the long hair last year?

Razor Shines
02-19-2007, 01:36 PM
Ok, so I know discussing PW is a bit like beating a dead horse :deadhorse:

However, he got the call to come to camp this year, and I'm really digging his long hair ;). What are the chances that he has any stuff in his left arm? I loved his good year for the Reds, it was great to see him overcome adversity and injuries and have a good year for once, and his dedication in rehabbing is a reason he's still a fan favorite even if he may never help the team again.
?

I rearranged that sentence for you because that's the real question we should be asking about Paul Wilson.

Joseph
02-19-2007, 03:36 PM
I agree with most, it's highly unlikely, but I do have some man love for Paul Wilson. I've always loved the players who wanted to be with MY team. That's why I love Griffey too. Paul could have gotten more money a couple seasons back, but instead he stayed in Redleg Nation. I hope he's got one more round in him.

Grounds_Crew
02-19-2007, 03:44 PM
I've been down on the field when he's rehabbing and throwing balls around, etc...and he seems like he can still "throw" the ball...but can he pitch?

I personally think he is done, although I do hope for the alternative. I would love to see the guy come back and be a great asset to this team...but...that's unlikely in my opinion.

Dunner44
02-19-2007, 04:12 PM
I rearranged that sentence for you because that's the real question we should be asking about Paul Wilson.

I was doubting my sanity for a second there when I saw you re-arrange my sentence... then I saw what you did, and went back to merely questioning my sanity.

jimbo
02-19-2007, 06:25 PM
I agree with most, it's highly unlikely, but I do have some man love for Paul Wilson. I've always loved the players who wanted to be with MY team. That's why I love Griffey too. Paul could have gotten more money a couple seasons back, but instead he stayed in Redleg Nation. I hope he's got one more round in him.

I have the same feelings about Wilson. I realize he's never had real good stuff even when he was healthy for the Reds, but I just think he's a great teammate and the type of player you want in the clubhouse. The guy was on rehab the entire season last year yet he was always in the dugout during home games supporting his team. Not many players would do such a thing.

Having said that though, I don't think he'll ever throw a pitch in a major league game again, but I like his presence in spring training.

deltachi8
02-19-2007, 08:25 PM
in other news, Paul's right arm is scheduled to join him in sarasota next Thursday.

Redlegs
02-19-2007, 08:28 PM
in other news, Paul's right arm is scheduled to join him in sarasota next Thursday.
LOL. Not trying to encourage wise cracks, but man, that was funny. :)

Redlegs
02-19-2007, 08:29 PM
Wilson's probably a long shot, gut he could prove to be a wild card in this camp.

Degenerate39
02-19-2007, 09:11 PM
If he can still pitch maybe he could be the closer

Redlegs23
02-20-2007, 11:54 AM
Not sure if that was a wise crack or not, but if not do you know what his velocity is? Last year in the minors his "heat" was hitting nothing higher than 88. Not exactly closer material.

savafan
02-20-2007, 12:30 PM
Not sure if that was a wise crack or not, but if not do you know what his velocity is? Last year in the minors his "heat" was hitting nothing higher than 88. Not exactly closer material.

You don't have to be a fireballer to be a closer, you just have to be able to get people out.

Team Clark
02-20-2007, 12:38 PM

And if you recall it was later discovered that the 88 was fabricated/exaggerated. He only broke 80 MPH a handful of times and hovered at 77 yes 77 MPH during a stint in Dayton. Sad. He would be great BP.

Z-Fly
02-20-2007, 12:41 PM
And if you recall it was later discovered that the 88 was fabricated/exaggerated. He only broke 80 MPH a handful of times and hovered at 77 yes 77 MPH during a stint in Dayton. Sad. He would be great BP.

I like Paul Wilson as much as the next guy but I think he has nothing left in the tank. I can't remember where I heard the Batting practice thing before...;)

savafan
02-20-2007, 12:43 PM
I like Paul Wilson as much as the next guy but I think he has nothing left in the tank.

Well, I guess that I'm the next guy, and I really like Paul Wilson too. Sometimes heart, guts, and determination can overcome a lack of ability. I really hope Paul does have something left in the tank, it'd be an inspiring story.

For that matter, same with Kent Mercker.

justincredible
02-20-2007, 01:28 PM
Goldilocks needs a haircut. Long hair just doesn't fit Paul at all.

I wish him all the luck and hope he has something left but I am not going to get my hopes up.

KronoRed
02-20-2007, 01:35 PM
Mullets should be outlawed ;)

Big Daddy P
02-20-2007, 04:06 PM
Can someone please tape a pink slip inside his locker and a free get out of town card.

I'd rather exhume Ewell Blackwell, prop his skeletal remains on the mound, and watch eephus pitches float toward home plate than suffer thru Wilson again!

Dunner44
02-20-2007, 05:54 PM
I'll be happy even if PW is just in AA or AAA. There is so much he can teach younger players even if he never helps the big league club again. Paul had some of the most amazing stuff with the Mets and had to re-learn how to pitch entirely after his injuries. The things he learned there, as well as his grit, determination and work ethic are all things younger players could definitely stand to hear. He seems like an awesome teammate, and thats why I'm still pulling for him.

Edit: I forgot to mention the biggest thing Paul has going for him: he's scrappy!

NatiRedGals
02-22-2007, 11:30 PM
SARASOTA, Fla. -- Ken Griffey Jr. is still a few days away from taking his cuts.

As the Reds opened full-squad workouts on Thursday afternoon, Griffey did not take his bat into the cage. The center fielder is still strengthening the left hand he fractured in December and reported that a tendon in the wrist still has to catch up from the weeks it was immobilized in a cast over the winter.

"They've got me doing other things. I just don't get to hit," Griffey said. "I'm a pitcher for a couple of days."

The 37-year-old said his hand and wrist felt between 70-80 percent and that he was at least four or five days from swinging at full strength. He was considering stepping into a cage Friday just to look at pitches without hitting.

Griffey said he threw at about 150 feet in the outfield with his teammates and had no trouble. Already on a different running program than the club's, he said his legs were strong.

"Everyone is shagging [fly balls] and I'm out on the field running," Griffey joked.

Griffey revealed last week that he broke his left hand while wrestling with his three children on the family yacht in the Bahamas. He batted .252 with 27 home runs and 72 RBIs in 109 games last season. His 563 career home runs has him tied for 10th all time with Reggie Jackson.

Reds manager Jerry Narron wasn't concerned that Griffey or his hitting stroke would fall behind in Spring Training, or hold him back from Opening Day.

"I'd think he'd be ready," Narron said. "He's got a history of not needing a lot of time to have a good swing."

One missing: Of the 57 players slated to be at Reds Spring Training, 56 were present for the first workout. Only non-roster infielder Anderson Machado was missing. Machado was believed to be experiencing visa problems getting out of his homeland of Venezuela.

Seen and heard: Reds pitchers faced hitters Thursday in the first round of live batting practice. Since hitters are rusty, they are generally at a bigger disadvantage at first.

"When it comes to live batting practice before you start playing games, it's difficult for a hitter to look good," Narron said.

Pitcher Paul Wilson, trying to make a comeback from 2005 shoulder surgery, was one of those who took the mound. An observing club official noticed that Wilson had good velocity and nice movement on his sinker and changeup.

ESPN college basketball analyst Dick Vitale, a Sarasota resident, gave the Reds a motivational speech before the first workout. Vitale, who often frequents the facility with members of his family, talked to the players for over 10 minutes.

Signings: Infielder Jerry Gil, outfielder Josh Hamilton and right-handed pitcher Brad Salmon were signed to one-year contracts on Thursday.

Helping a hospital: Griffey has been named chairman of Florida Hospital's Centennial Campaign. The campaign aims to raise $100 million by October 2008, when the Orlando-based hospital celebrates its 100th anniversary.

Big difference: A reporter asked second baseman Brandon Phillips if there was a difference between Spring Training last year and this year.

"I've got a job," Phillips responded without hesitation.

Last spring, Phillips was cut from Indians camp and designated for assignment at the end. His career rekindled after his April trade to the Reds.

acredsfan
02-22-2007, 11:44 PM
The thing about Paul is they tried to rush him back too fast last year. He was too stubborn to say no when he should have and he paid the price. Shoulder and arm problems are the most difficult to set a timetable on. Even after you have surgery and the doctors tell you that you can do anything, or you start feeling like you can do anything, you still hesitate and it's hard to put confidence back into what you are doing. At the same time it is easy to try to do too much, I tried to do a little more therapy than I was told when I was attempting to come back from my injury. Not smart. Then I tried to golf, again not smart... Anyway, my point is, don't read too much into his velocity last season, but you can't dicount it all together. My initial thought is the rest over the offseason will do him more good than anything. Maybe I'm just trying to be too optimistic though.

flyer85
02-23-2007, 01:35 PM
A younger and healthier Wilson was enver very good to begin. I would be hesitant to give him a spot based on the spring. Now if he wants to go to AAA for a couple of months and prove his health and effectiveness and await an opportunity, I say go for it.

savafan
02-23-2007, 02:11 PM
A younger and healthier Wilson was enver very good to begin. I would be hesitant to give him a spot based on the spring. Now if he wants to go to AAA for a couple of months and prove his health and effectiveness and await an opportunity, I say go for it.

Really? When has Wilson actually ever been healthy?

flyer85
02-23-2007, 02:20 PM
Really? When has Wilson actually ever been healthy?I did say "healthier" which doesn't necessarily imply "good health". :help:

Ltlabner
02-23-2007, 02:53 PM

Although I'm convicenced his arm is toast, I wouldn't have a problem with this.

I haven't read the whole thread. Any value in exploring using him in a long-reliefe role in the pen (assuming his arm has anything left in it)?

Chip R
02-24-2007, 03:01 PM
I haven't read the whole thread. Any value in exploring using him in a long-reliefe role in the pen (assuming his arm has anything left in it)?

Someone asked this on the HSL on Wednesday and Marty said it probably isn't a good idea - and it's a valid point - because relievers need to be able to warm up quickly - even long relievers. Sometimes you have to warm up and sit down and warm up again. Probably not a good idea for a guy with the history of arm problems Wilson has.

hebroncougar
02-24-2007, 03:16 PM
I'd love for Wilson to succeed, would make the #5 spot very solid if he had a bounce back year.