PDA

View Full Version : GREAT Griffey ESPN.com Article--Bonds vs. Griffey

uks2h
02-23-2007, 04:06 PM
http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/page2/story?page=pearlman/070222&lpos=spotlight&lid=tab2pos2

This is why I love KGJ. He will forever be my favorite player. Nobody will ever replace him.

HalMorrisRules
02-23-2007, 05:25 PM
Great article! :clap:

NDRed
02-23-2007, 06:21 PM
I agree good article :thumbup:

HumnHilghtFreel
02-23-2007, 06:33 PM
Great piece, thanks for posting it.

George Anderson
02-23-2007, 06:46 PM
If the Reds arent going to be a WS contender this year then nothing would make me happier to see JR agree to be traded to a team that is in contention at or near the trade deadline. I know its a long shot because few teams wanna take on that contract and Griffey may very well veto the trade, but I just would love to see him at least play in a Fall Classic. Ernie Banks is generally regarded as the greatest player never to play in a WS but I think the way it looks now, Griffey will unfortunately take over this title.

Grounds_Crew
02-23-2007, 06:58 PM
Great article! To me, Griffey is the "Jordan" of baseball, minus the championships of course. But, Griffey makes the game fun to watch and when he steps up to the plate, or takes his position in center field, it's hard to take your concentration away from him. His swing is the prettiest in the league, and it's going to be hard to find a player that can change my mind on that. Having the opportunity to meet the guy, shake his hand, and talk to him on a normal level was a dream come true for me. It is one of those things that I'll always remember.

uks2h
02-23-2007, 06:59 PM
If the Reds arent going to be a WS contender this year then nothing would make me happier to see JR agree to be traded to a team that is in contention at or near the trade deadline. I know its a long shot because few teams wanna take on that contract and Griffey may very well veto the trade, but I just would love to see him at least play in a Fall Classic. Ernie Banks is generally regarded as the greatest player never to play in a WS but I think the way it looks now, Griffey will unfortunately take over this title.

As bad as I hate to agree with you, I have to. I love Griffey. He's the guy who got me into baseball. He's the guy that kept me going to GABP over and over and over again when we all hoped he would hit #500. He's the guy that made me stand proud every time he walked up to the plate with 495, 496, 497, 498, and 499. He's the guy that gave me a moment in history I will never forget. When he hit 500, that is a memory I will never ever let go of. I had just came in from a warm summer's run in Central Kentucky, and the tv was on. My mom told me that Griffey was at-bat. On this father's day, just as I turned my attention to the screen, the pitch was thrown, and the bat was so gracefully swung into the 500th home run ball of Ken Griffey, Jr. I could go on and on with great Griffey memories. But one I don't have, is Griffey getting to the World Series.

I can't wait for that day. I have faith that it will happen.

jojo
02-23-2007, 07:06 PM
He's the guy that made me stand proud every time he walked up to the plate with 495, 496, 497, 498, and 499.

Why were you proud?

dougdirt
02-23-2007, 07:24 PM
Fact checkers.... they need some. Griffey has 563 Career HRs and not 569. Also, why is it so hard to say "Barry Bonds used performance enhancing substances"? Why must everyone always say "allegedly"? He admitted that he did it to a grand jury. Sure, we were not supposed to hear about it, but we did. Does it change the fact that he admitted to it? Not at all.

edabbs44
02-23-2007, 11:07 PM
Fact checkers.... they need some. Griffey has 563 Career HRs and not 569. Also, why is it so hard to say "Barry Bonds used performance enhancing substances"? Why must everyone always say "allegedly"? He admitted that he did it to a grand jury. Sure, we were not supposed to hear about it, but we did. Does it change the fact that he admitted to it? Not at all.

Probably because of a potential slander lawsuit.

Tommyjohn25
02-24-2007, 12:04 AM
Why were you proud?

Why not? Nothing wrong with being proud of your favorite player for his accomplishments, I was proud to be a Reds/Griffey fan on that day as well. All sports fans root in a different way, I always wear my Reds gear with pride, but I get a little extra swagger when they do something great. Some might say that it's silly to be that way but it's how I am as a fan, always will be.

dougdirt
02-24-2007, 12:06 AM
Probably because of a potential slander lawsuit.

Bonds cant win a slander lawsuit.... its not slander if the guy said it.

uks2h
02-24-2007, 12:30 AM
Why were you proud?

Because he was hitting them in a REDS uniform!!!

uks2h
02-24-2007, 12:32 AM
Why not? Nothing wrong with being proud of your favorite player for his accomplishments, I was proud to be a Reds/Griffey fan on that day as well. All sports fans root in a different way, I always wear my Reds gear with pride, but I get a little extra swagger when they do something great. Some might say that it's silly to be that way but it's how I am as a fan, always will be.

Thank you!!! Glad someone understands!!

BLEEDS
02-24-2007, 03:28 AM
Hasn't this guy got sued yet?

Where in the hell does he get that clip of "Bonds confided in Griffey that he was about to start taking some "hard-core stuff" to keep up with the big boys."

Sure, everyone thinks Bonds is a cheat, but citing this specific quote, without some sort of proof, is opening up a huge case for slander.

PEACE

-BLEEDS

RedsBaron
02-24-2007, 03:41 AM

Since the article also said that Griffey is 26 HRs behind Sosa, which is accurate, I'd guess the reference to Griffey's career HR total is simply a typo. I enjoyed the article.

lo ryder
02-24-2007, 11:28 PM
Jr. did it the right way, he deserves a ring.

The Crosley Kid
02-25-2007, 12:19 AM
Wonderful article! I am PROUD of Ken Sr. and Jr.

edabbs44
02-25-2007, 12:37 AM
Hasn't this guy got sued yet?

Where in the hell does he get that clip of "Bonds confided in Griffey that he was about to start taking some "hard-core stuff" to keep up with the big boys."

Sure, everyone thinks Bonds is a cheat, but citing this specific quote, without some sort of proof, is opening up a huge case for slander.

PEACE

-BLEEDS

I think that quote came from the book, IIRC.

Razor Shines
02-25-2007, 12:56 PM
Why were you proud?

Why not be proud?

Tommyjohn25
02-25-2007, 12:59 PM
Why not be proud?

That's what I asked too, I can't figure out why one wouldn't be proud.

tbball10
02-25-2007, 07:56 PM
I think that quote came from the book, IIRC.

what book? juiced, by canseco?

jojo
02-25-2007, 08:02 PM
That's what I asked too, I can't figure out why one wouldn't be proud.

here's my thoughts (http://www.redszone.com/forums/showpost.php?p=1249370&postcount=19)...

RedFanAlways1966
02-25-2007, 08:33 PM
what book? juiced, by canseco?

I think this book...

Game of Shadows: Barry Bonds, BALCO, and the Steroids Scandal that Rocked Professional Sports
by Mark Fainaru-Wada & Lance Williams

uks2h
02-26-2007, 05:06 PM
here's my thoughts (http://www.redszone.com/forums/showpost.php?p=1249370&postcount=19)...

I'm sorry to get your panties in a wad with being proud of my favorite baseball player. I think without the word "proud", a lot is lost in the world of sports. -People "proud"-ly wear their teams colors, jerseys, caps, etc.
-People are proud of their teams when they win.
-Players appreciate it when fans are proud to say they are a fan of their team, or individual (in any sport).

I know you are just trying to be philosophical, and I respect that. But, I will continue to be proud of my team, proud to be a Reds fan, and proud of Ken Griffey Junior's accomplishments.

Kudos to you for bringing up the philosophical side of things, though.

jojo
02-26-2007, 09:47 PM
I'm sorry to get your panties in a wad with being proud of my favorite baseball player. I think without the word "proud", a lot is lost in the world of sports. -People "proud"-ly wear their teams colors, jerseys, caps, etc.
-People are proud of their teams when they win.
-Players appreciate it when fans are proud to say they are a fan of their team, or individual (in any sport).

I know you are just trying to be philosophical, and I respect that. But, I will continue to be proud of my team, proud to be a Reds fan, and proud of Ken Griffey Junior's accomplishments.

Kudos to you for bringing up the philosophical side of things, though.

that's ok....sorry to get your bra all bunched up..... :cool: