PDA

View Full Version : Josh Hamilton

ncman31
02-26-2007, 01:29 PM
I am new to this board and probably won't check it much except to see how Josh is doing, but thought i would introduce myself. I know Josh and his family very well and in a way grew up with him. Saw him play ball all the way up from his days of little league through high school. Haven't got a chance to see him yet in his professional career but I hope to do so this year. I just wanted to stop in here and let ya'll know that Josh is on a mission right now to correct his errors and get back on the right track.I hope he has everyone's support in the Reds organization. Let me know if you have any questions.

Redhook
02-26-2007, 01:59 PM
Welcome to the board!

I think it's safe to say that all of us here at Redszone are rooting for Josh to do well on and off the field this year. Hopefully his story will end happily.

UGADaddy
02-26-2007, 02:04 PM
I'm hoping he's starting in centerfield on Opening Day!!

lollipopcurve
02-26-2007, 02:32 PM
NC31,

Welcome! Thanks for checking in.

Josh is the best story of the young season, by far, in my opinion, and I'm really hoping he can stick in the Reds organization. My question to you is, what kind of timetable do you think he'll need to be a productive major leaguer?

ncman31
02-26-2007, 05:06 PM
I dont think there is any question that he could do well in the majors from the very start. He's been around, if he can prove he has his head on straight through the spring then I think he'd be ready. The guy is the absolute best baseball player I have ever seen (competed against or played with many... delmon young, scott kazmir, justin/bj upton, etc.).

What kind of chances does he have at makin the squad? What position, CF?

smith288
02-26-2007, 05:39 PM
Welcome to the board!

I think it's safe to say that all of us here at Redszone are rooting for Josh to do well on and off the field this year. Hopefully his story will end happily.
Oh its safe to say? I think people who make mistakes should be condemned since the rest of us are pretty much squeaky clean, right?

Jk. I agree, Josh has 100% support. And if he doesn't, who is the Grade A arse munch who doesnt??

RollyInRaleigh
02-26-2007, 06:23 PM
Oh its safe to say? I think people who make mistakes should be condemned since the rest of us are pretty much squeaky clean, right?

Jk. I agree, Josh has 100% support. And if he doesn't, who is the Grade A arse munch who doesnt??

:confused:

Redhook
02-26-2007, 07:00 PM
What kind of chances does he have at makin the squad? What position, CF?

From what I've heard, people are saying good things about him in practice. That being said, I think this only increases his chances of making the team to about 50%. We'll all have a much better idea of where he stands two-three weeks from now. I think he'll play CF or RF.

ncman31
02-26-2007, 07:47 PM
thanks. he's been in the news a good bit down here but we dont get much REDS information. i have to rely on you guys and the mlb site.

Eric_Davis
02-27-2007, 01:25 AM
He's got a lot of question marks. Being out of the game for so long being #1. I can't see someone doing well in the majors without spending a couple hundred at-bats at least in the minors first. I hope Josh is OK with that and doesn't expect to be handed a job just because he has a good Spring. There's established guys ahead of him that have paid their dues.

crazybob60
02-27-2007, 01:36 AM
Welcome aboard!!! Although I am fairly new member myself here, or how would you put it, a lurker who just came out of lurkerdom myself this past season. Anyways, do you have any funny or fun stories about Josh per chance??? Also, I think Josh sticks with the club out of ST, actually probably has to, but I would he he sticks with them despite the fact of him being a RULE 5. Anyways, as I have stated elsewhere, I think there is just so much hype surround this youngster (if you can call him that now, well I don't know) that I hope he doesn't crack under the pressure, him being in Cincy will help alleviate this pressure where the media isn't so harsh, where if he would be in say New York or Chicago, etc. I bet he wouldn't last that long at ALL. Anyways, he will start out in probably RF but be the reserve RF to Freel/Denorfia, then I bet if he turns out to be the real deal, then they move Griffey to RF, insert Hamilton and either Freel/Denorfia to CF and then trade either Freel/Denorfia for some additional either middle relief help and or a closer. Those are my thoughts, but hey my thoughts aren't always the best ones.

The Crosley Kid
02-27-2007, 02:11 AM
I wish Josh all the best in his personal and professional life.

ncman31
02-27-2007, 11:01 AM
Not many "funny" stores I can remember off the top of my head, but you should have seen the guy play homerun derby on the tennis courts back when he was a little leaguer.

He also had a dunk contest one night at my house with Cincy Bengal Scott Kooistra. Those were two big boys out in the driveway throwin down some slams. Josh won. Josh could have played D1 Football, Basketball, Baseball, anything. He's just a natural freak athlete.

smith288
02-27-2007, 11:23 AM
:confused:
I was at first being facetious, then the second part was being serious. Nobody would be against that kid. If they are against that guy, then they are Grade A buttholes.

TRF
02-27-2007, 11:32 AM
I thought about putting this in it's own thread, but I hate clutter.

If Hamilton impresses this spring, I mean really impresses, but management thinks he'd be better served, and the Reds would be better served by him playing everyday at either Louisville or Chatt, would it make sense to offer the DRays Deno?

Obviously Narron has a soft spot for Hamilton. If the talent is still there, and the drive to remain clean stays, He could be a big part of the Reds future.

Again it's a big if. He has to take a leap forward NO ONE has ever done before due to his circumstances.

BRM
02-27-2007, 11:33 AM
I'm not sure the Rays would want Deno honestly. They have quite a few outfielders already. I'm not sure who the Reds could offer to keep Hamilton.

5DOLLAR-BLEACHERBUM
02-27-2007, 11:41 AM
I'm not sure the Rays would want Deno honestly. They have quite a few outfielders already. I'm not sure who the Reds could offer to keep Hamilton.
CASTRO:thumbup:

TRF
02-27-2007, 11:45 AM
If they don't have room for Deno, they don't have room for Hamilton either. Deno would be a good 4th OF for the Rays.

This is where the Rays org should step up a little. There is too much baggage for Hamilton to go back to them, too many memories. He needs a fresh start.

BillDoran
02-27-2007, 01:20 PM
If they don't have room for Deno, they don't have room for Hamilton either. Deno would be a good 4th OF for the Rays.

This is where the Rays org should step up a little. There is too much baggage for Hamilton to go back to them, too many memories. He needs a fresh start.

As enjoyable as the Rays being charitable and moral with Josh Hamilton may be, baseball is first and foremost a business. I doubt sentiment will come into play when any big decisions are to be made with Hamilton.

CincyFan
02-27-2007, 02:26 PM
Sounds like a great story to me. If i pans out we could have one heck of a deal ! BTW what is MLB's policy when it comes to Tattoo's. As you might know already he has plenty of them. Does he have to wear long sleeves when he is playing? If soo geez..

http://images.usatoday.com/sports/baseball/_photos/2006-06-06-hamilton.jpg

11larkin11
02-27-2007, 03:03 PM
Felipe was fine with them showing, althought most of the time he hid them on his own account.

ncman31
02-27-2007, 03:21 PM
You guys probably dont have to worry about losing him to the Yankees with all them tat's.

CINCYREDS#1
02-27-2007, 06:17 PM
idk about hamilton. i read an article about him in SI a couple of years ago and it talked about his personality and his drug problems. he was a great player to start with, but idk if hes good enough

RedEye
02-27-2007, 06:21 PM
He's got a lot of question marks. Being out of the game for so long being #1. I can't see someone doing well in the majors without spending a couple hundred at-bats at least in the minors first. I hope Josh is OK with that and doesn't expect to be handed a job just because he has a good Spring. There's established guys ahead of him that have paid their dues.

I can't see inside Kriv and Narron's minds (that would be kind of scary anyway), but I suppose there is precedent in our organization for keeping a 25th man who doesn't have much minor league experience (see Pena, Wily Mo). I would say that it is very likely Josh will make the team... especially if he proves he can play a good defensive outfield. From what I've heard, he's got a cannon for an arm. If he can hit a little bit he should be good to go.

buckeyenut
02-27-2007, 08:50 PM
I can't see inside Kriv and Narron's minds (that would be kind of scary anyway), but I suppose there is precedent in our organization for keeping a 25th man who doesn't have much minor league experience (see Pena, Wily Mo). I would say that it is very likely Josh will make the team... especially if he proves he can play a good defensive outfield. From what I've heard, he's got a cannon for an arm. If he can hit a little bit he should be good to go.

Quite frankly, I don't think you can consider something that Jim Bowden did (keeping Wily Mo around) is precedent for today's Reds organization.

That said, unless his raw talent is gone, Hamilton is 25th man on roster, at least for the first couple of months. If we were seriously in a pennant race come June and Hamilton is giving us absolutely nothing, then I could see dropping him. But not out of spring training. Not if the talent is still there.