PDA

View Full Version : Jeff Bagwell working as a coach for the Astros

HumnHilghtFreel
02-26-2007, 09:23 PM
http://mlb.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20070226&content_id=1816706&vkey=news_mlb&fext=.jsp&c_id=mlb

Kind of interesting to see him work into a role like this so soon after retirement.

crazybob60
02-27-2007, 02:58 AM
http://mlb.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20070226&content_id=1816706&vkey=news_mlb&fext=.jsp&c_id=mlb

Kind of interesting to see him work into a role like this so soon after retirement.

Hasn't several other players done the same thing as well? One that instantly pops into my head is Barry Larkin, or am I missing something here?

HumnHilghtFreel
02-27-2007, 03:56 AM
Hasn't several other players done the same thing as well? One that instantly pops into my head is Barry Larkin, or am I missing something here?

I don't know how common it is, I just think it would be, as he said many times, weird to go from playing with these guys one day, to going into camp as a coach the next.

TheWalls
02-27-2007, 08:38 AM
I really like the idea of having recent smart players working with the younger players. I hope the Reds continue and expand having guys like Soto, Browning, Concepcion, etc. involved during camp and as available during the year.

blumj
02-27-2007, 08:53 AM
Gabe Kapler decided to retire to begin his coaching career, and the Red Sox immediately made him the manager of their low A team. That seemed a little unusual, but Bagwell's actually coaching his very recent former teammates right away, not minor leaguers, so that might be a little unusual, too.

Heath
02-27-2007, 10:37 AM
Gabe Kapler decided to retire to begin his coaching career, and the Red Sox immediately made him the manager of their low A team. That seemed a little unusual, but Bagwell's actually coaching his very recent former teammates right away, not minor leaguers, so that might be a little unusual, too.

No truth to the rumor that the Red Sox immediately changed the nickname of the Low A team to the "Sweathogs".

cacollinsmba
02-27-2007, 11:21 AM
No truth to the rumor that the Red Sox immediately changed the nickname of the Low A team to the "Sweathogs".

Ooo ooo ooo....Mistah Kottah!!