PDA

View Full Version : Brian Simmons released

Matt700wlw
02-28-2007, 03:56 PM
BENGALS RELEASE LB BRIAN SIMMONS

The Bengals today terminated the contract of LB Brian Simmons, releasing him to free agency.

Simmons, a 10th-year NFL player for 2007, was a Bengals first-round draft choice in 1998 and has played all nine of his previous seasons for Cincinnati. He has played in 121 games with 115 starts, compiling 896 total tackles, 23 sacks, 11 interceptions, 43 passes defensed, 14 forced fumbles and 8 fumble recoveries. He has scored three touchdowns, two on interception returns and one on a fumble return.

“This was not an easy decision to make,” said Bengals head coach Marvin Lewis. “Brian has been a fine player on the field, and he has been a great example to all of our players as a team leader and a citizen.

“But a new NFL year is about to begin with the start of free agency, and this allows us to best position our team under the salary cap to move forward for 2007. It will afford us options for signing other players who are a better overall fit, given the strengths and needs of our current roster. This could include our own unsigned players, or players from other teams.

“We thank Brian for his years of great service for the Bengals, and we wish him the very best. We know he has been a favorite among our fans, and it has been our privilege to work with him.”

Simmons missed five games and three additional starts in 2005, due to a neck strain, but he came back to play in the last five games and start the last three. He finished the year with 11 games played and eight starts, and ranked fourth on the team in tackles (78) while leading the front seven in passes defensed (8).

He led the Bengals in tackles in 1999 and finished second on the team in six other seasons

HotCorner
02-28-2007, 04:11 PM
Mixed thoughts on this action.

I'm glad because it creates more cap space and allows the younger LB's more PT.

Yet Brian Simmons was one of the model citizens on this team when character has become such an issue.

Heath
02-28-2007, 04:14 PM
Someone will pick him up, no doubt.

Joseph
02-28-2007, 04:14 PM
I'm with you Hot Corner, it's a mixed emotions kind of thing. Sim was [apparently] one of the good ones based on what we know of him, and a solid player.

LoganBuck
02-28-2007, 04:15 PM
So, um, who plays linebacker next season? Odell Thurman? Miller and Johnson are RFAs who are likely back, they are adequate. Thurman and Pollack are in limbo and are doubtful they ever play in Cincy again. Brooks and Nickelson are young and have frankly not done anything yet. I am really hoping that the Bengals pick up something exciting in free agency.

Heath
02-28-2007, 04:16 PM
I thought Caleb Miller did quite well - wasn't he in the Top Ten in the AFC in tackles for a while?

HotCorner
02-28-2007, 04:21 PM
So, um, who plays linebacker next season? ... I am really hoping that the Bengals pick up something exciting in free agency.

Adalius Thomas? ;)

WMR
02-28-2007, 04:40 PM
Hmmm the ratio of thugs to good people just got a little lower.

Good luck Simmons.

Joseph
02-28-2007, 04:44 PM
I think Odell will be back next season in the middle, and they will draft one in round 2.

Danny Serafini
02-28-2007, 04:47 PM
Didn't see that one coming.

dsmith421
02-28-2007, 04:59 PM
I thought Caleb Miller did quite well - wasn't he in the Top Ten in the AFC in tackles for a while?

He's really good at tackling running backs 6-8 yards down the field. I've seen no signs from that guy that he's NFL quality.

Degenerate39
02-28-2007, 07:49 PM
Damn I thought he was released from jail or something when I saw this

Redhook
02-28-2007, 08:21 PM
Damn I thought he was released from jail or something when I saw this

That is actually pretty funny.

Obviously now, the Bengals need major help at linebacker. They did before this move too. They have to pick up a free agent (please, oh please, let that be Adalius Thomas) and draft another one. If I'm the Bengals I draft a very athletic linebacker in the first round. I think the Bengals are o.k. with their cornerbacks and can wait a year to draft another in the first round. Their safeties are decent and their line is decent. Linebacker is the Bengals big gaping hole. They have to sign and draft two linebackers. I think they can wait until the second round to get another cornerback or defensive lineman.

Ideally, the Bengals would trade down their first round pick to the mid-upper 20's and pick up a third round pick that they currently don't have.

TeamSelig
02-28-2007, 08:27 PM
Jeez, I really thought the LB position was a big hole we needed to fix.

traderumor
02-28-2007, 10:37 PM
Simmons was nowhere to be found virtually all season. They needed as much help at LBer with him as without him. No real loss there.

guttle11
02-28-2007, 10:39 PM
Simmons was nowhere to be found virtually all season. They needed as much help at LBer with him as without him. No real loss there.

I agree with that, but it's still tough to see because Brian was a great Bengal for many years.

The right move isn't always easy. I hope he catches on somewhere and finishes his career on his terms.

KoryMac5
02-28-2007, 11:12 PM
I wasn't surprised that they made the move. The Bengals do have Johnson playing where Simmons is best suited to play and doing well over their. Brooks, Nicholson, and Thurman can play the middle. So I think by cutting Simmons you are going to be able to sign K.K., Watson, and Kelly. Plus they can draft a backer if they feel the need.

macro
03-01-2007, 01:21 AM
He apparently didn't have enough of a criminal record to fit in.

bengalsown
03-01-2007, 01:55 AM
Jeez, I really thought the LB position was a big hole we needed to fix.

It is a big hole that needs fixed. Releasing Simmons is a major step toward fixing that hole.

LoganBuck
03-01-2007, 12:40 PM
It is a big hole that needs fixed. Releasing Simmons is a major step toward fixing that hole.

As long as they fill the void with a better player.

CTA513
03-01-2007, 01:28 PM
Geoff Hobson had this rumor in one of the Simmons articles on Bengals.com

WHAT’S NEXT?: How about this? There is speculation afoot that Simmons could be replaced by his NFL soulmate, Takeo Spikes, the linebacker the Bengals picked four slots ahead of Simmons at No. 13 in the 1998 draft. The two became one when mentioned with the Bengals defense before Spikes left for Buffalo after five seasons.

The word is that Spikes won’t be going back to Buffalo this season and some expect him to get cut. But he’s also 30 and has had major Achilles’ surgery so the Bengals won’t roll out big money for him. But he’s got the leadership and explosion in the middle this defense is still seeking.

How close are the two? Spikes was one of the first people Simmons called Wednesday when he got the news.

Playadlc
03-01-2007, 01:38 PM
Speculation by whom?

No possible way Spikes is coming back.

LoganBuck
03-01-2007, 02:54 PM
Spikes told Marvin he wanted no part of playing in Cincy, when Marvin was hired.

I doubt Marvin forgot.

Yachtzee
03-01-2007, 03:07 PM
Hobson often speculates, but I believe Marvin once said that he's "information deprived."