PDA

View Full Version : Jeremy Reed could be made available - should we be interested?

Tom Servo
02-28-2007, 09:09 PM
I know we need another outfielder like we need a hole in the head but it would be nice to get someone with potential if Deno really isn't going to be given a real shot.

Reed, Broussard remain upbeat
Fringe players likely will take on lesser roles for Mariners or could be traded

By JOHN HICKEY
P-I REPORTER

PEORIA, Ariz. -- Jeremy Reed and Ben Broussard have less reason than anyone in camp to be pleased with the Mariners' direction.

Reed, the former starting center fielder, and Broussard, the former regular designated hitter, likely will be used in smaller roles this season.

Reed broke a bone in his wrist and missed the last three months of the 2006 season, prompting the shift of All-Star Ichiro Suzuki to center field and the addition of Jose Guillen in right.

Broussard, whose offense fell off dramatically when he was traded from Cleveland to Seattle last summer, has been replaced by veteran Jose Vidro at DH.

Both could complain. Neither has.

"I chose to look at this as a positive," Broussard said. "I've got a job here and I've got a chance to contribute. I can't control what I can't control. And you never know what's going to happen. As long as I'm ready to go, you take what comes."

Broussard, who hit .321 with 13 homers for Cleveland before joining the Mariners, could have made the acquisition of Vidro unnecessary by performing better than his Seattle totals of .238 with eight homers in 164 at-bats. Reed never had the chance to prove himself.

He was injured playing all-out, a style he's not willing to forsake. An outfielder with a habit of running into walls if necessary, Reed broke his wrist diving for a sinking drive hit by Colorado's Brad Hawpe on July 2.

Manager Mike Hargrove tried several outfield combinations without much success until Ichiro volunteered to play the rest of the season in center. Since then, he has agreed to play center field full time.

"Normally, you don't lose your job because of an injury," Hargrove said. "But normally, you don't get replaced by a potential Hall of Famer, either."

Reed isn't cursing the fact he was injured, and he's not giving up.

"I'm more excited than anything just to be able to play," Reed said Monday. "I was out a long time last year and I kept trying to come back. That set me back, but I wanted to play."

Now that he's healthy, he wants to play.

"What I want this spring is to get at-bats and see where my abilities take me," Reed said. "You never know what your role will be. But I have a chance to be on the field and show what I can do."

Reed and Broussard want to stay. But there is a good chance one or even both will be traded during the spring. Center fielders with range and designated hitters with power are valuable commodities.

Both will get plenty of playing time when Cactus League play opens this weekend. If they perform well, their trade value will go up. On the other hand, Hargrove and general manager Bill Bavasi have acknowledged a need for more bench depth, so a good performance could lead to increased playing time.

Hargrove likes to go with set lineups rather than platooning, and Bavasi has given him a roster with little reliance on pinch hitters.

That isn't preventing Broussard or Reed from planning to contribute offensively this season.

"They haven't seen me for a full spring training yet," Broussard said. "I was the DH last year, and I'd never really done that. They haven't seen me at first base much or in the outfield at all. I've got ways to help, and they'll have to make that evaluation."

The Mariners know plenty about Reed, who has been the primary center fielder since being picked up from Chicago in a midseason trade in 2004.

"I've been blessed with a lot of special abilities," Reed said. "I know that. So I'm not really worried about what will happen now that Ichiro is in center field."

Of the two, Reed is more likely to survive the spring. He doesn't figure to get much playing time, but Ichiro's uncertain future with the team could work in Reed's favor.

If Ichiro can't be signed to a contract extension in the next few months, there is a chance he could leave by trade or as a free agent, and the Mariners will need a center fielder.

http://seattlepi.nwsource.com/baseball/305254_mari27.html

Dracodave
02-28-2007, 09:14 PM
Denorfia > Reed.

I give Denorfia the edge here for two reasons, he's projected a good right handed number 2 hitter with excellant defense. And two he's already on the team, we dont have to give up prospects or players we may need later. Expecially when Conine breaks a hip.

Ltlabner
02-28-2007, 09:44 PM
AB H RBI SB SO BB BA OBA SLG EQA
Reed 758 193 67 17 109 66 .255 .317 .368 .252
Deno 144 40 9 2 30 17 .278 .358 .382 .261

Allbeit with a small sample size, Deno is better or on par with Reed. Why add another outfielder to the mix unless he is demonstrably better than what we already have?

Handofdeath
02-28-2007, 09:56 PM
AB H RBI SB SO BB BA OBA SLG EQA
Reed 758 193 67 17 109 66 .255 .317 .368 .252
Deno 62 144 40 0 30 17 .278 .358 .382 .261

Allbeit with a small sample size, Deno is better or on par with Reed. Why add another outfielder to the mix unless he is demonstrably better than what we already have?

Because Jr is brittle and will be gone by the end of next season. Freel? Same thing. Dunn, no matter what happens, may be overpriced for next season. As much as people b**** and moan about the relief staff, Reds fans should be seriously concerned about who's playing OF in the future for the Reds.

RedEye
02-28-2007, 10:07 PM
Is there a dumber GM in baseball than Bill Bavasi? I can't believe that he replaced Ben Broussard with an expensive, aging 2B who goes on the DL all the time. The Guillen move makes a bit more sense since he is a good fielder and hitter who upgrades their outfield--except that I heard José reported to camp overweight and he has always had an attitude problem. Then there are the overpriced signings of Beltré and Sexson. Sheesh! Letting Gil Meche go might be the only smart thing Bavasi has done in the last two years. Wayne isn't my favorite, but he runs circles around this guy!

geniusMoment
02-28-2007, 10:09 PM
How does Deno have 144 hits and 40 RBI's in 62 ab's? He's the best hitter of all time.

edabbs44
02-28-2007, 10:13 PM
How does Deno have 144 hits and 40 RBI's in 62 ab's? He's the best hitter of all time.

Deno can do it all.

BigRed
02-28-2007, 10:20 PM
If those numbers pan out, Denorfia should win the batting title this year by hitting over 1000. Wow!!!!

justincredible
02-28-2007, 10:22 PM
Deno makes Ted Williams look pedestrian.

Dracodave
02-28-2007, 11:35 PM
The reason why he has so many hits is that he secret wears a wig. Chris Denorfia is Ryan Freel's alter-ego "Farney". Hence why Farney gets such great jumps and makes the plays look easy. :help:

Ltlabner
03-01-2007, 08:10 AM

Good eye. I screwed up the columns when copying onto notepad. I went back and edited my original post.

Sorry about that.

TheWalls
03-01-2007, 11:43 AM
As much as I like Reed, I'm not sure I like him enough better than Deno, Hopper, Freel to do anything about it.

5DOLLAR-BLEACHERBUM
03-01-2007, 11:52 AM
This is not a shot at anyone here but I think you have cured me. Last year my softball team gave me all kinds of crap about my man crush on Deno. Now I have seen what they were talking about. I am breaking it off as of right now and I'm gonna ask Josh Hamilton to the prom this season.:laugh:

hebroncougar
03-01-2007, 11:55 AM
Reed would make a good backup for the Reds for his defensive ability. Would I give up alot to get him?? No way.