PDA

View Full Version : Three Catchers?

CySeymour
03-01-2007, 10:34 AM
After reading this line in the Enquirer:

JAVY HITS: Whether the Reds go with two or three catchers, Javier Valentine is going to be in the key left-handed pinch-hitting role.

"The way Javy can come off the bench and hit in that role, whether we've got anybody else or not, he's going to be used," Narron said. "If something happens, we'll piece it together at the end."

Valentin had four homers (one shy of a club record) and 12 RBI in 52 pinch-hit at-bats last year. He hit .286 with 12 homers and 25 RBI in 168 overall left-handed at-bats

I would be shocked if the Reds didn't carry 3 catchers. If the team plans on Valentine being it's top lefty off the bench, then a 3rd catcher will be required. Not saying I agree with it, it's just how I think they will go.

registerthis
03-01-2007, 10:36 AM
God, I hope not.

Redsland
03-01-2007, 10:47 AM
"The way Javy can come off the bench and hit in that role, whether we've got anybody else or not, he's going to be used," Narron said.Again, here are Valentin's three-year numbers as a PH:

83AB 02B 03B 19K .193/.264/.337/.601

BRM
03-01-2007, 10:55 AM
Again, here are Valentin's three-year numbers as a PH:

83AB 02B 03B 19K .193/.264/.337/.601

I've never understood the fascination with Valentin as a PH. He's a backup catcher, nothing more.

Chip R
03-01-2007, 11:00 AM
JAVY HITS: Whether the Reds go with two or three catchers, Javier Valentine is going to be in the key left-handed pinch-hitting role.

The Enquirer needs a better proofreader.

BRM
03-01-2007, 11:02 AM
The bench gets a whole heck of a lot weaker with Moeller on it. Throw in Hamilton and the growing pains he's going to go through and the Reds may be looking at the weakest bench in the NL.

CySeymour
03-01-2007, 11:05 AM
The bench gets a whole heck of a lot weaker with Moeller on it. Throw in Hamilton and the growing pains he's going to go through and the Reds may be looking at the weakest bench in the NL.

Excellent point!

TheWalls
03-01-2007, 11:36 AM
Would somebody in the name of George Herman Ruth tell me how a .200 hitting third catcher is more valuable than an extra arm in the pen (Burton or Salmon) or a speedy OF that can get on base and help manufacture a run (read Norris, Denorfio, or Hamilton)? The idea of Chad Moeller doing anything for this team but being an on-field pitching coach in Louisville while Perez is out simply defies logic.

Ltlabner
03-01-2007, 02:31 PM
From "Baseball Between The Numbers"....

"Even Chad Moeller - who hit a brutal .208/.261/.303 as the Brewers Catcher....."

Hey Meat
03-02-2007, 02:35 PM
I think a trade is coming either behind the plate or in the outfield.

KronoRed
03-02-2007, 03:06 PM
3 catchers and 12 pitchers leads to one very very ugly bench.

Stingray
03-02-2007, 03:37 PM
3 catchers and 12 pitchers leads to one very very ugly bench.

I agree - go with 2 catchers, 11 pitchers, and 6 bench players(1 catcher, 2 OF, 2IF,& 1IF/OF).

Dunner44
03-02-2007, 05:34 PM
Can Hatteburg still catch in a pinch? I don't know if his knees are still crapped out or not. But if we do go 2 catchers (PLEASE, ONLY TWO), having Hatte be able to play backstop is a sure sight better than emergency third catcher Ryan Freel... (For those of you who have forgotten, back in May of 2005, LaRue broke his wrist when hit by a fastball by none other than our very own Gary Majeski. However, he cowboyed up and kept playing, because he would rather have his wrist cut off than let Freel play catcher... funny stuff)

Enrico Pallazzo
03-03-2007, 05:30 PM
Can Hatteburg still catch in a pinch? I don't know if his knees are still crapped out or not. But if we do go 2 catchers (PLEASE, ONLY TWO), having Hatte be able to play backstop is a sure sight better than emergency third catcher Ryan Freel... (For those of you who have forgotten, back in May of 2005, LaRue broke his wrist when hit by a fastball by none other than our very own Gary Majeski. However, he cowboyed up and kept playing, because he would rather have his wrist cut off than let Freel play catcher... funny stuff)

i don't know about his knees, but remember reading in moneyball that he got converted to first because he messed up his throwing arm.

also i am going to throw things come opening day if there are three catchers on the roster...

TOBTTReds
03-03-2007, 05:37 PM
If we are keeping a 3rd catcher strictly for "catching" purposes, we might as well have Miguel Perez be our 3rd. He is all glove and could probably hit as well as Moeller. But he is also 10 times the catcher any of our current catchers are.

EDIT: Miguel is out for a while iirc.