PDA

View Full Version : What did you think of Marty and Thom's debut?

redsfan30
03-01-2007, 03:34 PM
Pretty simple question. Sure it's only one game, but what are your initial reactions to this new broadcast team?

Joseph
03-01-2007, 03:37 PM
I voted loved them, but mostly because 'I liked it' wasn't an option. I think it's going to be pretty darn good honestly, but I can't love a duo after one ST game.

pedro
03-01-2007, 03:38 PM
I voted loved them, but mostly because 'I liked it' wasn't an option. I think it's going to be pretty darn good honestly, but I can't love a duo after one ST game.

I'll second that. I didn't vote though.

dabvu2498
03-01-2007, 03:41 PM
They weren't bad.

Thom seemed a little too loud at times. Melodramatic, particularly for a game on March 1.

Brantley was a pleasant surprise.

redsfan30
03-01-2007, 03:44 PM
You're right, Joseph....I should have added a couple other options to the poll.

Joseph
03-01-2007, 03:44 PM
Thom seemed a little too loud at times. Melodramatic, particularly for a game on March 1.

I think thats the FOX in him.

registerthis
03-01-2007, 03:46 PM
I think thats the FOX in him.

We'll know for sure when he starts making random clanking and swooshing noises.

Ltlabner
03-01-2007, 03:48 PM

Quaack....quaaack...quaaack..

(Sorry...that's got me tickled today).

Yachtzee
03-01-2007, 03:55 PM

Maybe Scooter will make a special guest appearance.

Sweetstop
03-01-2007, 03:59 PM
have to call Tom's partner "Dad" this year.

think they were emotionally high and will, hopefully, tone it down a notch.

I like Brantley.

flyer85
03-01-2007, 04:08 PM
Marty seemed less grumpy. Not sure if it was because of Thom or just the first game of the spring. Even though JB pulls out some interesting diction from time to time, he can bring some insights on pitching that have been missing.

Caseyfan21
03-01-2007, 04:20 PM
Marty: And game 1 for this broadcast crew. I am not a sentimental person; I don't get all choked up. But I will ask your forgiveness if I can be a bit sentimental today because I remember vividly 43 years ago when this young man was born at University Hospital in Chapel Hill, NC when I was a student down there. And now we fast forward 43 years later and I still have a hard time believing that Thom Brennaman is sitting next to me and getting ready to broadcast his first game as a member of the Reds radio broadcast crew. I am just a little bit choked up about this whole thing.

Thom: You need a breather there old timer?

Marty: As I said a million times, this is a dream come true for me...this is just overwhelming for me.

Thom: Likewise for me dad.

Tommyjohn25
03-01-2007, 05:20 PM
God I wish I would've heard that. I didn't get to tune in till the 5th inning.

Always Red
03-01-2007, 05:35 PM
It was all good; I listened to every minute (with the thunderstorm this morning and the Reds on the radio today, it's beginning to look a lot like spring!).

The Brennaman's were truly excited and happy to be on the air together, and it showed. Brantley was excellent, and I was prepared to not like him, from his work on ESPN.

I can't wait to hear more. :thumbup:

HumnHilghtFreel
03-01-2007, 05:39 PM
I usually don't listen to the games on the radio, so it was all fairly new to me, but I thought they did a pretty good job. The game seemed to run pretty smoothly and the fact that the innings were flying by probably helped them a bit.

Spring~Fields
03-01-2007, 05:43 PM
The offense was very good so it made them sound better. :)

Caveat Emperor
03-01-2007, 05:54 PM
After years of 1-man broadcasts, it was nice to finally have a 2 man booth. The game seemed to flow more smoothly when Marty and Thom could talk to one another or when Brantley joined the booth.

I think what ultimately torpedoed Steve Stewart was the fact that someone (maybe Marty, maybe WLW management, maybe the Reds) told him that, since he was replacing Joe, he had to follow the Marty & Joe routine of only 1 guy talking at a time.

The game is more lively on the radio with 2 people -- less dead air, more discussion between pitches.

Hoosier Red
03-01-2007, 06:04 PM
I only heard the 7th inning but for those of you who hated "boring" Steve Stewart. Thom is the 180 degree opposite of him.

redsmetz
03-01-2007, 07:35 PM
Loved them is not quite accurate, but I'm not generally given to superlatives. I was pleased, and I was also pleasantly surprised by Jeff Brantley. Marty's opening comments were fairly touching, not maudlin in the least.

Dunner44
03-01-2007, 07:38 PM
After years of 1-man broadcasts, it was nice to finally have a 2 man booth. The game seemed to flow more smoothly when Marty and Thom could talk to one another or when Brantley joined the booth.

I think what ultimately torpedoed Steve Stewart was the fact that someone (maybe Marty, maybe WLW management, maybe the Reds) told him that, since he was replacing Joe, he had to follow the Marty & Joe routine of only 1 guy talking at a time.

The game is more lively on the radio with 2 people -- less dead air, more discussion between pitches.

I agree, the alternating innings certianly left lots of dead time. I wonder if they'll revert to that format once it's just Marty and Brantley (when Thom is off doing his thing with FOX). Also, will it ever just be JB and Thom? I know Marty takes the occasional game, but I'm guessing that his days off will correspond with Joe calling games... Joe and Thom would be interesting.

BuckWoody
03-01-2007, 07:58 PM
I was simply overjoyed by the mere fact that I was listening to Reds baseball on the radio after a long cold winter so a lot of my first impressions are affected by that. I thought they did a good job and I’m excited to be able to listen to them for the rest of the year. I really liked the time Brantley spent in the booth too, I think he’ll do a nice job.

Ltlabner
03-01-2007, 08:20 PM
I'm currious whether the voter who said they hated the Marty and Son show was just goofing around trying to get a raise out of people, or if they truely hated it. If so, why?

Chip R
03-01-2007, 08:22 PM
I'm currious whether the voter who said they hated the Marty and Son show was just goofing around trying to get a raise out of people, or if they truely hated it. If so, why?

I think if they were going to get a rise out of someone they would have posted a comment instead of just voting.

Dracodave
03-01-2007, 08:36 PM
I think the funniest comment I heard all day long was "Marty, are you going to cast your ego aside and let Thom speak?"

pedro
03-01-2007, 08:41 PM
I think the funniest comment I heard all day long was "Marty, are you going to cast your ego aside and let Thom speak?"

I thought it was funny when Thom was dogging someone about a play (I think it was Freddy Sanchez) and Marty said "spoken like a true Brennaman"

redsfan1966
03-01-2007, 08:41 PM
I wish I could have voted...but sadly I did not hear the broadcast...working in a downtown office in Columbus, Ohio I can not pick up 700 WLW on my radio...so I turned on my XM and realized about 10 minutes before hand "crap, the game is in Bradenton"; which meant I had to listen to Lanny Frattare, Bob Walk and crew....so I got the WLW pre-game...but not the game...oh well, at least I did hear the game and Dunner, Phillips and Hamilton belting them out of the park.....I will definitely be listening to "the big one" this weekend on my terrestial radio...

Dracodave
03-01-2007, 08:51 PM
Apperantally Jeff Keppinger hit a dinger too.

George Anderson
03-02-2007, 12:02 AM
I have always liked Thom Brenneman alot. He reminds me alot of Marty in his younger days before Marty became so damn bitter.I like the fact that there is an ex player in the booth in Brantley also. It was great when Nuxhall in his hey day was calling the game because his expertise and analysis as an ex player made the broadcast good. I liked Steve Stewert but the broadcast was badly missing something with neither Marty or Steve haven never played the game. Having the combination of the three so far looks to be a good thing.

paintmered
03-02-2007, 12:06 AM
I missed today's broadcast. When is the next time they are all in the booth together?

Redlegs82
03-02-2007, 12:08 AM
This is something I'm glad to use my first post on this forum.
I liked the father son duo. Marty was admittedly nervous about it and the chemistry will be there soon.
This is what baseball is about bringing Father and son together.

And maybe Marty will be happier in the booth, at least for a while.

Caseyfan21
03-02-2007, 12:56 AM
I missed today's broadcast. When is the next time they are all in the booth together?

I believe Marty said on the broadcast that the game tomorrow will not be aired. Saturday's game will be done by Brantley and Thom. And Marty and Joe will do Sunday's game.

Ron Madden
03-02-2007, 03:46 AM
I was just happy to hear a Reds game on radio again.

I believe Marty, Thom and Jeff will all work well together.

Unlike many others I enjoyed listening to Steve Stewart. I'll always respect Steve, he came into a difficult situation and handled it with class.

redsmetz
03-02-2007, 05:31 AM

This reminded me of something my younger daughter mentioned in her blog from Mexico where she's studying this semester. It cracked me up.

and on sunday night, leah and kelly and i walked to the centro and went to a catholic church on the zócalo. it was a franciscan church and the priest´s preaching reminded me somewhat of the way joe nuxhall announced baseball (lots of long pauses, just long enough for you to forget someone was ever talking, and just short enough that you´re startled when he starts talking again).

LoganBuck
03-02-2007, 07:54 AM
I liked Thom and Marty, but I really like Jeff. He was a breath of fresh air when he was breaking down Paul Wilson's performance. There was actually some good technical analysis of the game, much more descriptive then Marty's usual "he looked good" . Reds broadcasts have been missing that for a very long time. I can't even remember Joe Nuxall or Steve Stewart giving that kind of analysis ever.

paintmered
03-02-2007, 08:56 AM
I believe Marty said on the broadcast that the game tomorrow will not be aired. Saturday's game will be done by Brantley and Thom. And Marty and Joe will do Sunday's game.

savafan
03-02-2007, 10:20 AM
I too was very impressed with Brantley, and I liked how Marty and Thom sounded together on the air. I hadn't really formulated an opinion on this broadcasting team before yesterday, but now I'm pumped to be listening to the Reds on radio this year...makes me not regret giving up my cable television. :)

registerthis
03-02-2007, 11:02 AM
I believe Marty said on the broadcast that the game tomorrow will not be aired.

That would be unusual. I think, typically, they generally air the first four games, and it isn't until Monday that they start skipping broadcasts.

paintmered
03-02-2007, 11:13 AM
From 700WLW.com

Fri., Mar. 2 Minnesota Ft. Myers 7:05pm (FP) No Radio
Sat., Mar. 3 MINNESOTA Sarasota 12:35pm (IP)/1:05pm (FP) 700WLW
Sun., Mar. 4 Pittsburgh Bradenton 12:35pm (IP)/1:05pm (FP) 700WLW
Mon., Mar. 5 PHILADELPHIA Sarasota 1:05pm (FP) No Radio
Tue., Mar. 6 Tampa Bay St. Petersburg 1:05pm (FP) No Radio
Wed., Mar. 7 New York Yankees Tampa 7:15pm (FP) No Radio
Thu., Mar. 8 DETROIT Sarasota 1:05pm (FP) No Radio
Fri., Mar. 9 CLEVELAND Sarasota 1:05pm (FP) No Radio
Sat., Mar. 10 Cleveland Winter Haven 12:35pm (IP)/1:05pm (FP) 700WLW
Sun., Mar. 11 PITTSBURGH Sarasota 12:35pm (IP)/1:05pm (FP) 700WLW

redsfan30
03-02-2007, 11:15 AM
Tonight's game is on Gameday Audio for those who have it.