PDA

View Full Version : Bluffton College Baseball Team's Bus Crashes in Atlanta

Red Leader
03-02-2007, 08:49 AM
Just saw this on CNN. A charter bus taking the Bluffton University (just south of Toledo) baseball team crashed this morning in Atlanta. Six are already reported dead and there are others in serious condition. My prayers go out to the family and friends of those that have died, and also with the surviving players, family, and friends of those players. What a tragic accident.

Here's the story:

http://www.cnn.com/2007/US/03/02/bus.accident/index.html

mound_patrol
03-02-2007, 09:07 AM
please keeps these guys in your prayers. I have two good friends on that team. They are both reportedly okay, but keep your thoughts and prayers for these unfortanate players

redsmetz
03-02-2007, 09:08 AM
The reports of a bus plummeting from a bridge in Georgia this morning involved the Bluffton College baseball team on their way to a tournament in Florida. Tragically, at least six have been killed, many more injured.

Here's the story from the Toledo Blade. I'm sure the family, friends and the college community could use our prayers.

At least 6 people killed in crash of charter bus carrying Bluffton University baseball team

BLADE STAFF AND WIRE REPORTS

ATLANTA - At least six people have been killed and 10 seriously injured after a charter bus crashed this morning in Atlanta involving the Bluffton University baseball team, police said.

The bus, owned by Executive Coach, based in Lancaster, Pa., had exited I-75 near downtown Atlanta about 5:45 a.m. today when the driver apparently lost control on the exit ramp overpass. The bus crashed through a railing and landed on its side on I-75 below, police said.

A total of 35 people were believed to be aboard the bus, including 33 baseball players and coaches with the Bluffton University team and two rotating drivers with the bus company, police said. Bluffton University competes in NCAA Division III.

Some of those killed were pronounced dead at the scene, while others died at nearby Piedmont Hospital, where many of the injured were taken, police said.

The team was reportedly en route to spring baseball games in Fort Myers, Fla., when the accident occurred. The accident has created major rush-hour traffic problems this morning for Atlanta police.

A spokeswomen for the Bluffton University athletics department said that the department could not comment at this time.

Bluffton University, a liberal arts school, is located about 60 miles southwest of Toledo. The university is on spring break until March 11. The school has 1,150 students and is affiliated with the Mennonite Church USA.

According to the Bluffton University Web page, the baseball team was scheduled to play in the Gene Cusic Classic in Fort Myers, Fla.

Reds Freak
03-02-2007, 09:22 AM
Just terrible, terrible news. I've been aboard a few charter bus trips down to Florida and to be honest I'm suprised this kind of thing doesn't happen more often. Those things are gigantic and when you only switch drivers one time during a 20 hour bus trip, drivers are forced to drive 10 hours straight often in the middle of the night. That really can't be safe...

Krash
03-02-2007, 09:29 AM
My sister is a senior at Bluffton. This is very sad.

cincy jacket
03-02-2007, 09:40 AM
I have a friend from high school who played baseball for Bluffton two years ago as a Freshman. After the first year he had health problems and had to give up baseball though. At the time he took it pretty hard that he had to quit playing the game he loved so early into his college career. I guess in the end that injury could have saved his life.

15fan
03-02-2007, 09:47 AM
Some local coverage:

http://www.wsbtv.com/news/11151088/detail.html

(Edit: They've cleared the bus, so the video in the 2nd link I had is now gone.)

Based on the description, it sounds to me like the driver fell asleep at the wheel. That's the only way that the bus could have carried enough speed to get up the exit ramp, through the 6 lanes of traffic on Northside Drive and break through the barrier to fall back down onto the highway. That part of the highway and the exit ramp at Northside are both straight shots.

The good news for those who survived is that the crash was literally a stone's throw from Piedmont Hospital, which is a first rate operation. Grady Hospital isn't that far away from the site, either. Though Grady often gets a bad rap, it has a top notch trauma program. That's where model Nikki Taylor went after she was in a really bad accident a few years ago.

remdog
03-02-2007, 09:48 AM
Damn. I hate to see things like this happen. I've always felt like those bus trips were chancy....

Prayers and condolences....

Rem

Reds Fanatic
03-02-2007, 09:52 AM
According to CNN 22 people are injured 3 of them critically. 2 of those with critical injuries are in surgery now and another is in intensive care.

westofyou
03-02-2007, 09:57 AM
Some local coverage:

Live video of the clean up.

http://www.11alive.com/video/default_live.aspx?storyid=93119

Based on the description, it sounds to me like the driver fell asleep at the wheel. That's the only way that the bus could have carried enough speed to get up the exit ramp, through the 6 lanes of traffic on Northside Drive and break through the barrier to fall back down onto the highway. That part of the highway and the exit ramp at Northside are both straight shots.

The good news for those who survived is that the crash was literally a stone's throw from Piedmont Hospital, which is a first rate operation. Grady Hospital isn't that far away from the site, either. Though Grady often gets a bad rap, it has a top notch trauma program. That's where model Nikki Taylor went after she was in a really bad accident a few years ago.

Is that before the Carter Center off ramp area?

15fan
03-02-2007, 10:05 AM
Northside Drive is by Howell Mill. Those are the last 2 exits on 75 South before 75 & 85 merge on the north side of downtown. When we first moved here, we had an apartment over in that part of town. I still go over to there to get my hair cut, get my annual physical, and get my allergy shots.

When I first heard about a bus losing control & falling onto the interstate, I assumed it was on the Freedom Parkway exit downtown, which is how you get to the Carter Ctr. I could see an alert bus driver losing control and falling there.

But Northside Drive headed south on 75? If you're passing through town, there's literally no steering required there.

westofyou
03-02-2007, 10:08 AM
Northside Drive is by Howell Mill. Those are the last 2 exits on 75 South before 75 & 85 merge on the north side of downtown. When we first moved here, we had an apartment over in that part of town. I still go over to there to get my hair cut, get my annual physical, and get my allergy shots.

When I first heard about a bus losing control & falling onto the interstate, I assumed it was on the Freedom Parkway exit downtown. I could see an alert bus driver losing control and falling there.

But Northside Drive headed south on 75? If you're passing through town, there's literally no steering required there.
That's exactly what I thought too... Freedom Center. I always hit the city via 85 so I'm not familiar to the area, but isn't that near where Danny Healy had his accident as well?

15fan
03-02-2007, 10:16 AM
Kind of. Healey was zipping down Lenox Road from Lenox Square Mall in Buckhead towards I-85. Lenox Road would have dumped him out near I85 in the Buford Highway / North Druid Hills part of the world. He was about 1/2 way between the mall & I 85 when he crashed. Distance-wise, we're probably talking about 7-8 miles between the two sites.

Lenox Road is a curvy up & down 2 lane road. I can easily see someone going fast & losing control there. But losing control off Northside Drive & falling onto the interstate below? Asleep at the wheel or intentional are literally the only 2 possibilities that I can come up with. You could pick a million other places in town where I can see someone losing control of the wheel & having this kind of wreck. But not Northside & 75.

corkedbat
03-02-2007, 10:38 AM
You'd think on a 20-hr. trip they'd drive five and switch. Makes more sense. Driving 10-hrs. in a row when you don't have to is insane. It's not like it takes that much time to switch drivers.

dabvu2498
03-02-2007, 10:45 AM
Sounds like the driver may have mistaken the ramp for an HOV lane.

http://www.cnn.com/2007/US/03/02/bus.accident/index.html

The bus exited I-75 southbound in an HOV lane in the center of the highway that leads onto a bridge at Northside Drive. The bus apparently did not stop at the top of the exit ramp and plunged off the bridge onto the southbound lanes of the expressway, according to two drivers, whose vehicles were hit by the bus or debris falling off it.

mound_patrol
03-02-2007, 10:50 AM
Some local coverage:

(Edit: They've cleared the bus, so the video in the 2nd link I had is now gone.)

Fox news is saying that he was driving in the HOV lane and just mistaked the exit ramp as the continueing HOV lane. It was a short ramp and by the time he realized what was going on it was too late to stop...he tried turning the bus quickly but the forward momentum carried the bus toppling over the side back down onto I 75

OesterPoster
03-02-2007, 11:03 AM
The driver and his wife are reportedly two of the deceased. Bluffton is holding a press conference right now.

redsmetz
03-02-2007, 11:20 AM
The Enquirer is reporting that two of the players who made the trip are Milford High School grads. Both are injured, but it's not known how seriously.

TheWalls
03-02-2007, 11:25 AM
Suddenly, Denorfia making the roster just doesn't seem so important.

bounty37h
03-02-2007, 11:40 AM
Geez, best wishes to those injured on a healthy recovery, and thoughts and prayers with those lives lost. I played in that same tournament several years ago in college, never liked the long bus rides. Sad story for what should have been a great week for them.

TeamBoone
03-02-2007, 12:10 PM
They just interviewed one of the Milford grads on the 12 o'clock news... he was pretty beat up. The other is still in the hospital with a hip injury from being trapped under the bus. The guy being interviewed is suffering from survivor guilt.

Very gut wrenching.

Apparently, there are two additional players from Milford who were not traveling with the team.

6 Killed After Bus Carrying Ohio Baseball Team Falls Off Ramp
Last Update: Mar 2, 2007 12:06 PM

Police in Atlanta now say the bus driver, his wife and four students were killed in the crash involving a bus from Bluffton University in northwest Ohio.

The bus carrying members of the school's baseball team plunged off a highway ramp early today and slammed into the pavement below. Twenty-nine people were injured, including 2 Milford High School Graduates who play on the team.

Brennan Bauman, Chris Bauman, James Hausman, and David Riddle all play for Bluffton and grew up in Milford.

James Hausman is at Grady Hospital in Atlanta. The pitcher suffered possible cracked ribs and other injuries, but is also expected to recover.

David Riddle did not make the trip because of an injury and Brennan Bauman did not make the travel team.

Bluffton President James Harder calls it a profound and tragic day in the life of the school, which is located about about 50 miles south of Toledo. The school canceled Friday classes and scheduled a press conference for 11 a.m.

The team was scheduled to play its first game of the season in Sarasota, Fla., on Saturday against Eastern Mennonite College of Harrisonburg, Va. It had eight games scheduled in Fort Myers, Fla., beginning Monday.

The bus toppled off the Northside Drive bridge onto Interstate 75, police said. Police spokesman Joe Cobb says the driver may not have planned to exit the interstate, and may have mistaken a car pool exit ramp for the regular car pool lane that continues down the interstate. When it went off the bridge, it landed in the southbound lanes of the interstate, blocking all four lanes.

35 people were on the bus. Firefighters were pulling people through the roof of the bus, which was on its side. Sports equipment was scattered along the interstate.

Local 12 Reporter Joe Webb is in Milford and will have more from the players friends and family there coming up on Local 12 Live at Five.
http://www.local12.com/content/breaking_news/story.aspx?content_id=394a3433-857f-4fe5-869e-17fc5a0e51d0

The link has pictures of the four Milford players.

15fan
03-02-2007, 01:29 PM
"Fox news is saying that he was driving in the HOV lane and just mistaked the exit ramp as the continueing HOV lane. It was a short ramp and by the time he realized what was going on it was too late to stop."

Here's the Satellite Image of the intersection. 75 Southbound is on the bottom, and that's the Northside Drive Bridge.

http://www.google.com/maps?f=q&hl=en&q=Northside+Dr+NW,+Atlanta,+Fulton,+Georgia,+Unite d+States&layer=&ie=UTF8&sll=37.0625,-95.677068&sspn=46.409192,82.265625&z=19&ll=33.803088,-84.408656&spn=0.001496,0.00339&t=k&om=1&iwloc=addr

If you scroll up & to the left, you can see that the HOV lane is clearly marked by the solid white line. To access the exit, the driver has to move (drift?) left and separate from the other 5 lanes of traffic that are continuing south. There appears to be an overhead sign in the exit lane as soon as it splits off from the main highway. If you keep scrolling up & left, the previous bridge (Howell Mill Road) also appears to have overhead signage. I'd speculate that it is in regads to the upcoming exit option.

Using the scale on the image, it's about 1,200 feet from the point of the interstate where the exit lane leaves the highway to the top of the exit ramp. 6 lanes on Northside + a center chicken lane and 2 medians adds about another 100 feet or so.

If you are in a vehicle on the highway, and your vehicle begins to (1) go up and (2) off to the side relative to the flow of multiple lanes of traffic, how in the world would you not think to slow down because you are exiting the main highway? If the driver thought it was some sort of merge, he still saw a bridge that is perpendicular to the main interstate. There are plenty of visual clues that any driver, especially someone who drives for a living, should have picked up that the exit ramp was indeed an exit ramp.

George Anderson
03-02-2007, 01:40 PM
Im not at all familair with Bluffton College but I doubt if these kids were given full rides to play there. Alot of times kids that play baseball at small colleges do not get a whole lot of scholarship money if any at all. Thats what makes these kids all that more special because not alot of kids will want to not only sacrifice their time to play baseball but also miss going to florida and partying at Spring Break. These kids were making quite a few sacrifices for the love of the game.

The game of baseball definitely lost six good young men today.

pedro
03-02-2007, 01:49 PM
http://alt.coxnewsweb.com/ajc/jpg/buscrashexplain.opt.jpg

scounts22
03-02-2007, 01:52 PM
I feel sick to my stomach. I can visualize exactly what happened and have done so several times. It is still making me shudder every time I think about it. God bless them and their families.

Team Clark
03-02-2007, 02:51 PM
One of the young men on the bus, Chris Bauman, has played baseball for me in summers past. What a great kid. Great parents too. I am praying for him as he is one of the injured according to the Enquirer. We need to pray for all of those families.

Reds Freak
03-02-2007, 03:20 PM
Im not at all familair with Bluffton College but I doubt if these kids were given full rides to play there. Alot of times kids that play baseball at small colleges do not get a whole lot of scholarship money if any at all. Thats what makes these kids all that more special because not alot of kids will want to not only sacrifice their time to play baseball but also miss going to florida and partying at Spring Break. These kids were making quite a few sacrifices for the love of the game.

The game of baseball definitely lost six good young men today.

Bluffton University is Division III so that means they cannot receive money because of athletic ability. Any scholarships have to be academic. Division III players really have no reason to play in college except for the fact that they love the game, they love their teammates, and they love their school. Most know they won't be playing at the next level, they will never get on ESPN, and they won't play in front of thousands of people. But they play simply because they love to do it and they aren't ready to stop playing yet. And unfortunately, the only time that Division III schools get any press is when something tragic like this happens.

kbrake
03-02-2007, 03:52 PM
Just got off the phone with a friend of mine who was on the bus. Obviously he is still in shock but he was one of the lucky ones. He walked away with only some cuts and stuff. He said it hadnt even started to sink in yet. I cant believe this happened.

kbrake
03-02-2007, 04:31 PM
"Four student-athletes, the bus driver and the bus driver’s wife were killed in the accident. Victims include Bluffton University students Tyler Williams (Lima, Ohio); David Betts (Bryan, Ohio); Scott Harmon (Lima, Ohio) and Cody Holp (Arcanum, Ohio); the bus driver, Jerome Niemeyer, and his wife, Jean Niemeyer, both of Columbus Grove, Ohio."

creek14
03-03-2007, 07:32 AM
Guy here at work knows the family of two of the kids on the bus, including Cody Holp. It wasn't a good day here yesterday.

Between this and all the kids killed in the tornado in AL - well it's been a couple of gut wrenching days.

Hap
03-03-2007, 08:52 AM
http://www.limanews.com/story.php?IDnum=35860

http://www.limanews.com/story.php?IDnum=35859

http://www.limanews.com/story.php?IDnum=35858

http://www.limanews.com/story.php?IDnum=35856

kbrake
03-03-2007, 02:53 PM
BLUFFTON (OHIO) UNIVERSITY

NEWS RELEASE: 3/3/07

Bluffton University and Citizens National Bank establish fund for baseball team

A fund has been established at Citizens National Bank for the Bluffton University baseball team student-athletes that were involved in a charter bus accident in the early morning of Friday, March 2, in Atlanta, Ga. The bus was on its way to Florida for the team’s first games of the 2007 season. Four student-athletes, Tyler Williams (Lima, Ohio); David Betts (Bryan, Ohio); Scott Harmon (Lima, Ohio) and Cody Holp (Arcanum, Ohio); and the bus driver, Jerome Niemeyer, and his wife, Jean Niemeyer, both of Columbus Grove, Ohio, were killed in the accident.

Contributions can be made by check payable to Bluffton University and mailed to Citizens National Bank, 102 S. Main Street, Bluffton, Ohio 45817. Please note “Baseball Team” in the check’s memo line. Credit card contributions can be made by calling 419-358-3324 during the university’s business hours. Funds will be available to the baseball players involved in the accident and their families.

-B-

Bluffton University public relations office

Just thought I would post this in case anyone is interested. I know anything and everything will be greatly appreciated.

Hap
03-04-2007, 07:41 AM
http://www.limanews.com/story.php?IDnum=35890

Left To Wonder
Beth L. Jokinen - 03.04.2007

BLUFFTON — On a windy, but quiet, day on Bluffton University’s campus, a wreath swayed from the fence surrounding the baseball diamond.

“You are in our prayers,” the attached note read, signed “Ohio Northern University Athletics.” A small bouquet of flowers had been placed on the ground a little ways away. No note was attached.

The campus here seemed almost desolate Saturday, a day after news came of the tragic bus crash that killed four students and two others.

Most students had left campus to return home for spring break and only a few news trucks remained. It was a much different scene from Friday when students waited for word from the crash site and media overcame the campus.

Saturday brought some hope to the tragedy, as all but seven players and coaches have been released from Atlanta hospitals.

University spokeswoman Robin Bowlus said several families were returning home Saturday. She said the airlines that offered free flights for families Friday were doing the same for them to return home.

“Some parents, as soon as they got phone calls from their children (Friday), started driving,” she said, saying they were again on the road returning home.

Of those in the hospitals, two remained in critical condition and two in serious condition Saturday. The others were in fair or stable condition. Twenty-eight players and their coach, James Grandey, 29, were taken to several Atlanta hospitals.

Killed in the accident were players Tyler Williams, of Lima, Scott Harmon, of Elida, David Betts, of Bryan and Cody Holp, of Arcanum. Also killed were Jerome Niemeyer, 65, a driver with Executive Coach Luxury Travel Inc., of Ottawa, and his wife, Jean Niemeyer, 61, both of Columbus Grove.

Funeral services for the couple will begin at 11 a.m. Wednesday at St. Anthony Catholic Church in Columbus Grove. Arrangements for the players have not been made yet. Bowlus said Air Tran has offered to fly the bodies home. Authorities are releasing the bodies to families.

The team was traveling to Sarasota, Fla., to play in a doubleheader with Eastern Mennonite University before heading to Ft. Myers, Fla., to participate in the Gene Cusic Classic when the bus toppled off the side of an Atlanta highway overpass. It slammed into the pavement about 30 feet below.

Players have since spoke about the accident, including how they attempted to help each other at the scene. Tony Moore, of Elida, was pinned under a seat, but was pulled out by teammates. He then tried to help the others. His father, Bob Moore, said it was no surprise that the team stuck together.

“They all pitched in and helped each other get out,” he said. “They are all really tight, just a super bunch of kids.”

Tony Moore flew home Saturday night, and his brother Jason, an assistant coach, was released from the hospital Saturday and expected to come home today.

University President James Harder traveled to Atlanta on Friday and was meeting Saturday with the National Transportation Safety Board, Bowlus said. The board requested that he be part of the meetings. Harder was not available for comment Saturday.

Representatives from Executive Coach Luxury Travel Inc. were also part of the meetings, Bowlus said. Company officials could not be reached for comment.

The Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration lists a “satisfactory” rating for the company on its Web site. The rating means the company has complied with the administration’s safety requirements.

The Web site said the company has seven buses and 20 drivers. No accidents have been reported in the last two years. The company has had 16 inspections in those two years.

The school has used the bus company for many years to transfer students to events. The football team and choirs are a few groups to use the buses. Bowlus said there have been no incidents with the company in the past.

“We have confidence in the NTSB and their investigation,” she said. “We have active participation in that and feel that the process is going well, and will just wait for their findings.”

Paul Schlamm, press officer for the safety board’s team, said the bus was a 2000 Van Hool. Schlamm said the team will focus on different areas of the accident, including the vehicle, roadway and injuries. He said driver training and bus maintenance will also be examined. He said the team will see what kind of electronic information can be downloaded from the bus, but it is not certain what is available.

“We are just in the fact-gathering stage right now,” he said, saying the team will be on the scene for about a week. The team will then do an analysis and report, which is reviewed by the board. He said it could take a year.

Investigators said the driver apparently mistook an exit ramp for a lane and went into the curve at full speed. It was dark, but the weather was clear. Niemeyer had just boarded the bus, relieving another driving team less than an hour before. Investigators found no skid marks.

Officer Steve Coleman, of the Atlanta Police Department, said the department is still investigating the accident along with the safety board. Coleman said Niemyer left the expressway by a left side, HOV exit.

“It comes to the dead end and you either go left or right,” Coleman said. “He possibly was going too fast and lost control of the bus. That will come out in the investigation whether it was speed or something else.”

Coleman said there is no new information being released about the accident, saying it could be a few more days before an official police report is made public.

The crash continued to get national news coverage Saturday, but most crews were pulling out of campus by the afternoon. Bluffton Mayor Fred Rodabaugh was live on CNN in the morning.

While there were no planned vigils or activities, support for the school and lives lost was still felt throughout town.

“Bluffton University, Our Thoughts and Prayers are With You,” a sign outside of Greg’s Pharmacy on Main Street read. Other businesses did the same, as did Bluffton High School.

Citizens National Bank in Bluffton has established a fund for the players and their families. Contributions may be made by check payable to Bluffton University and mailed to Citizens National Bank, 102 S. Main St. Bluffton, OH 45817. Please note “Baseball Team” in the check’s memo line. Credit card contributions may be made by calling 419-358-3324 during university business hours.

No other vigils or other events are planned as of now. Students are on spring break until March 12. Student groups that had planned spring break trips made the decision to cancel those.

People both here and in Atlanta continue to offer their assistance to the players and families. Moore said that the Atlanta Hawks basketball team gave several players tickets to Saturday night’s game.

Bowlus said Jeff Gold, provost of the University of Toledo Medical Center, has offered to move those still in the hospital to the Toledo facility so they can be closer to home. She said that would happen on a case-by-case basis.

Bowlus said students have died in the past, but this is the first time the school has experienced this many loses. In February 2005, two Bluffton students were in a car accident that killed student Rachel Nofsinger, of Dalton.

“One student dying is one too many,” she said. “They are equally tragic.”

Hap
03-04-2007, 07:42 AM
http://www.limanews.com/story.php?IDnum=35887

Couple Remembered As Caring People, Good Neighbors
Beth L. Jokinen - 03.04.2007

COLUMBUS GROVE — Residents here said they were shocked over the sudden death of Jerome “Jerry” and Jean Niemeyer, a couple described as “just great people” by friends and neighbors Saturday.

“They were an excellent, church-going family,” Bob McDowell said. “They got along with everybody and were an asset to the community.”

The two were killed in the Friday bus accident that also killed four Bluffton College students. Jerome Niemeyer was driving and his wife had gone along on the trip.

Jerome Niemeyer had worked at LG.Philips Displays until retiring in 2000. McDowell said he then started driving for a bus company. He was also a substitute bus driver for Columbus Grove schools.

McDowell and his wife used to be on a bowling league with the Niemeyers. He said they were well known around town, adding that Jean spent a lot of time lately talking about her new grandson.

Alice Maag, a cashier at Kohls Market, said Jean Niemeyer often came into the store, always with a smile on her face and ready to chat.

“She was very friendly,” she said. “One of the sweetest ladies you would ever meet.”

Jean Niemeyer worked at the McDonald’s in Ottawa for 23 years. Maag said Jean Niemeyer checked in on an elderly neighbor every day, saying it was typical for both of them.

“She would do anything for anybody,” she said. “They were just sweet people, just very nice people.”

Maag said the news of the couple’s death has been a shock and very hard on the community.

The couple was active at St. Anthony Catholic Church. They had two sons and a daughter.

A funeral for the couple will begin at 11 a.m. Wednesday at St. Anthony Catholic Church. The Rev. Ron Warnimont will officiate. Burial will be in St. Anthony Catholic Cemetery.

Friends may call from 2 to 4 p.m. and 6 to 8 p.m. Monday and Tuesday at Hartman Sons Funeral Home, Columbus Grove. A Knights of Columbus Rosary will begin at 3:30 p.m. Monday and an Alter Rosary and Catholic Ladies of Columbia will begin at 3:30 p.m. Tuesday.

Memorial contributions may be made to St. Anthony School or to the wishes of the family.

creek14
03-04-2007, 09:31 AM
I went to a small university, about the same size as Bluffton. It's nothing like a big school. Everyone is together, all the time. Everyone lives in dorms, no off campus apts. One cafeteria. No big lecture halls. Everyone knows everyone else.

We had a couple kids killed on a school-sponsored trip. It shakes the campus to the core. It touches everyone.

My heart aches for those parents, but I feel so bad for the kids at the school too.