PDA

View Full Version : Donations for Bluffton Baseball Team

kbrake
03-04-2007, 11:10 PM
I am sure that all have heard about the tragic accident that took place in the early hours of Friday morning. I had two friends I graduated with that were on the team. Luckily for us, the both of them escaped any major injuries and arrived home at about 2:30 AM Sunday morning.

I spent several hours with one of them as soon as he got home and a few more today. I cant even begin to tell you how horrific the things I heard were. My friend went into great detail with me about the horrible sights, sounds, and smells that surrounded them.

Bluffton has set up a fund for donations to help the victims and their families. I can promise you that any help will be greatly appreciated.

BLUFFTON UNIVERSITY AND CITIZENS NATIONAL BANK ESTABLISH FUND FOR BASEBALL TEAM

A fund has been established at Citizens National Bank for the Bluffton University baseball team student-athletes that were involved in a charter bus accident in the early morning of Friday, March 2, in Atlanta, Ga. The bus was on its way to Florida for the team’s first games of the 2007 season. Four student-athletes, Tyler Williams (Lima, Ohio); David Betts (Bryan, Ohio); Scott Harmon (Lima, Ohio) and Cody Holp (Arcanum, Ohio); and the bus driver, Jerome Niemeyer, and his wife, Jean Niemeyer, both of Columbus Grove, Ohio, were killed in the accident.

Contributions can be made by check payable to Bluffton University and mailed to Citizens National Bank, 102 S. Main Street, Bluffton, Ohio 45817. Please note "Baseball Team" in the check’s memo line. Credit card contributions can be made by calling 419-358-3324 during the university’s business hours. Funds will be available to the baseball players involved in the accident and their families.

I want to be clear that this is not a donation through Redszone and is in no way affiliated with the site.

Thank you all, kbrake

GIK
03-04-2007, 11:47 PM
Thanks for the post, k.

kbrake
03-05-2007, 11:01 PM
Just an update for everyone. One that I thought RedsZone would find of special interest. Just spent some more time tonight with my close friend who made it through the wreck.

He told me that one of the young men who is still in critical condition is a big Reds fan and today he received several things autographed by Ken Griffey Jr. My friend was not positive but was pretty sure that Griffey actually came to the young mans room to sign the things and spend some time with him despite the fact that he remains in a coma.

I dont know he could be wrong and maybe Griffey was not in Atlanta and perhaps he just sent some things, but either way I think it says alot about the character of Junior.

Caseyfan21
03-05-2007, 11:32 PM
Just an update for everyone. One that I thought RedsZone would find of special interest. Just spent some more time tonight with my close friend who made it through the wreck.

He told me that one of the young men who is still in critical condition is a big Reds fan and today he received several things autographed by Ken Griffey Jr. My friend was not positive but was pretty sure that Griffey actually came to the young mans room to sign the things and spend some time with him despite the fact that he remains in a coma.

I dont know he could be wrong and maybe Griffey was not in Atlanta and perhaps he just sent some things, but either way I think it says alot about the character of Junior.

Whether he sent them or not, that's a great move by Junior. Very much like him as it's behind the scenes and he did it without making a big media spectacle.

This tragedy has really gotten to me having played baseball many years and being the same age as these guys. I have a close friend from Lima who obviously knew several of the guys and he's been a little shaken up.

I guess his cousin's younger brother (middle schooler) lives right near Bluffton's campus and they have weekly clinics during the winter months for the area kids. The cousin's brother has been going all winter and even had a bet going with one of the kids who died about how the younger kid would hit this year. My friend told me the bet was if the little kid hit so well the Bluffton player was going to give him his bat (or something like that). It's just stories like that which absolutely bring the personal side out in a tragedy like this. Terrible loss...

kbrake
03-06-2007, 11:39 PM
In memory of David Betts. This appeared in the local newspaper in Bryan, Ohio, the hometown of David Betts.

kbrake
03-06-2007, 11:40 PM
I have never posted a picture on RedsZone so if there is anyway to make that better the help would be appreciated.

GIK
03-06-2007, 11:42 PM
The picture's great (resizes larger once 'clicked'). Thanks for sharing.

creek14
03-09-2007, 09:28 AM
Sadly, the story isn't over yet.

Bluffton baseball player dies a week after bus crash that killed 6 others

Friday, March 09, 2007

ATLANTA — An 18-year-old baseball player who had been pulled from the wreckage of a bus crash that killed several of his Ohio teammates died of his injuries Friday morning, raising the death toll from the crash to seven, a hospital spokeswoman said.

Zach Arend, of Paulding County, had been in critical condition since the crash last Friday.

He died about 6 a.m., said Grady Memorial Hospital spokeswoman Denise Simpson. Arend's grandmother, Ann Miller, had said he suffered chest and abdominal injuries, a fractured pelvis and collapsed lungs.

Four of Arend's Bluffton University teammates, the charter bus driver and the driver's wife were killed when the bus went off an overpass in Georgia and crashed onto the Interstate 75 pavement below. More than two dozen others were injured.

Two other players remained hospitalized Friday at Grady Memorial Hospital, one in critical condition and one in fair condition, Simpson said.

The team's coach, James Grandey, was listed in stable condition in the intensive care unit at Piedmont Hospital. Another player was in stable condition at Atlanta Medical Center.

kbrake
03-09-2007, 04:12 PM
Creek, thank you for posting that, I have been at work all day and didnt have a chance. This really shook the guys up, in the last couple of days everything they heard was that Zach's condition was improving. Then this morning they get word that he didn't make it. Its unbelievable, but I can tell you this is a strong group of guys and that hopefully we will still see baseball in Bluffton this spring.

kbrake
03-21-2007, 09:49 AM
Bluffton University announced today that its baseball team will open its 2007 season with a home contest against conference-foe College of Mount St. Joseph at 4 p.m. Friday, March 30

Reds-aholic
03-27-2007, 12:29 PM
FYI for all Columbus area members:

http://ohiostatebuckeyes.cstv.com/sports/m-basebl/spec-rel/032607aab.html

Gate Proceeds from Ohio State Baseball Home Opener Wednesday will go to Funds Established for the Bluffton University Baseball Team

COLUMBUS, Ohio - The Ohio State University Department of Athletics announced Monday the gate proceeds from the Buckeyes' baseball home opener Wednesday will go to two funds established for the Bluffton University baseball team. The Buckeyes take on Toledo at 2 p.m. Wednesday at Bill Davis Stadium.
continued...

Reds Freak
03-30-2007, 08:07 PM
Saw on their website that Bluffton lost its opening game to the College of Mt. St Joseph 10-5. Haven't seen any stories on the game yet.