PDA

View Full Version : nice article on harang and sanchez

cincrazy
03-05-2007, 02:49 PM
http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/spring2007/columns/story?columnist=stark_jayson&id=2788301&lpos=spotlight&lid=tab4pos1

paintmered
03-05-2007, 02:51 PM
For those of us who don't like clicking links...

Harang, Sanchez fly under the radar
Stark
By Jayson Stark
ESPN.com
Archive

BRADENTON, Fla. -- Much to the shock of approximately 98 percent of America, the National League batting champ's team met the National League strikeout champ's team Sunday.

Whoever they are.

These two guys are so far off the national radar grid, you could probably fund your kids' college education by walking into a bar in, say, South Dakota and laying a few sheckles that your pals couldn't answer our favorite trivia questions of this spring:

Who won the NL batting title last season? And even if you get that one, we know you can't answer the stumper: Which pitcher led the league in strikeouts?

In a more technologically advanced world, we would post a link to the "Final Jeopardy" theme song right here and give you 30 seconds to think this over. But since we're stuck with the world we've got, here come your answers:

Your incumbent batting champ is … 29-year-old Pirates utility-wiz-turned-third-baseman-turned-(this spring)-second-baseman Freddy Sanchez.

And your defending holder of the strikeout crown would be … 28-year-old Reds right-hander Aaron Harang.

These are actual facts. Feel free to look them up.

It's an amazing phenomenon when you think about it. We worship batting champs -- as long as they're named Pujols or Gwynn or Ichiro. And there's nothing we love watching more than a strikeout pitcher -- as long as they're named Santana or Schilling or Clemens.

But every once in a while, a guy -- or in this case, two guys -- will make the mistake of being from Pittsburgh or Cincinnati and filling those niches. And we wipe them right out of our national consciousness.

You'd think those towns had seceded from the United States or something, just because they've combined to play in zero postseason series in the past 11 seasons.

"You know," Pirates GM Dave Littlefield said, "that's just how the sports world works. When you play on a team that hasn't won, it's harder to get recognition."

Well, we get that. But that doesn't mean it isn't an injustice. And there is no better example of that injustice than what happened to Harang last season, two years after the A's traded him to Cincinnati for Jose Guillen.

Maybe if he'd only led the league in strikeouts (with 216, in 234 1/3 IP), we could understand. But he also tied for the lead in wins, with 16. And history tells us it's almost impossible to pull off that daily double without generating some monstrous buzz.

Unless your name is Aaron Harang, that is.

Since the invention of the Cy Young Award in 1956, every pitcher who led the National League in both of those categories won the Cy Young (11 of them in a row). But boy, did Harang ever screw up that trend.

How close did he come to winning last year's Cy Young? Well, let's put it this way: He missed by one vote …

Of even getting a vote.

Any kind of vote. Second place. Third place. Melrose Place. You name the place.

Led NL In W's/ K's
(Last 50 years)
Aaron Harang, CIN 2006
Randy Johnson, ARZ 2002*
John Smoltz, ATL 1996*
Dwight Gooden, NYM 1985*
Steve Carlton, PHI 1982*
Steve Carlton, PHI 1980*
Tom Seaver, NYM 1975*
Steve Carlton, PHI 1972*
Sandy Koufax, LAD 1966*
Sandy Koufax, LAD 1965*
Sandy Koufax, LAD 1963*
Don Drysdale, LAD 1962*
*Won Cy Young Award
Yes, friends. In an election in which eight pitchers got a vote, he got zero.

"I still can't believe he didn't get one Cy Young vote," Reds manager Jerry Narron said. "That's just unbelievable to me."

But that's only the beginning of Harang's dazzling journey toward invisibility. He also managed to avoid winning the Pitcher of the Year award -- on his own team. (Bronson Arroyo won that election.)

And when the new Reds media guide came out this spring, a pitcher was on the cover. But that pitcher was not Aaron Harang (naturally). It was Arroyo.

"He's as far under the radar as any player I've ever played with," Arroyo said. "In fact, I'll tell you the truth: When I came here, they said, 'You'll be the No. 2, behind Aaron Harang.' And I said, 'Who?'"

Then again, "Who" could almost be Harang's unofficial last name. For instance, here's the complete list of NL pitchers who have led the league in both wins and whiffs in the past 50 years: Randy Johnson, John Smoltz, Dwight Gooden, Steve Carlton (three times), Tom Seaver, Sandy Koufax (three times), Don Drysdale and … Aaron Harang. Who?

Even Harang said that when he first saw those names, "It was kind of a shocker. And it's still a shocker to me. I never would have thought I'd be on a list like that. I never really considered myself a strikeout pitcher."

Well, he'd better get used to it. He's a 6-foot-7 human mountain range with a live fastball that right-handed hitters can't seem to pick up. He had a better strikeout ratio last year (8.3 per 9 IP) than John Smoltz or Roger Clemens. And against left-handed hitters, who get devoured by his man-eating slider, his whiff rate was more than 10 per 9 IP.

"It's just his style of pitching," Arroyo said. "He's a guy who could punch out eight or 10 dudes in a game, and you're like, 'Hmmm, that was a nice outing.' … But Dontrelle Willis punches out 10, and you're like, 'Holy [cow],' because there's so much stuff going on and the way he looks and he's pumping his first and everything. Aaron just does his thing and walks off the mound."

That, however, is Aaron Harang. Laid-back. Quiet. And, well …

"I don't mean this in a bad way," first baseman Scott Hatteberg said with a laugh, "but he's just kind of boring."

"I am," Harang confessed. "I'm very boring. It's sufficient for me, just going out and golfing when I'm not pitching, or playing video games. I could sit in my room all day, and it wouldn't even phase me. …

"I guess I have fun," he said, chuckling. "I just don't have much of it."

Well, we need to give him credit for one thing (besides turning into a legit No. 1 starter, that is): Unlike much of the rest of this continent (and several players in his own clubhouse), he knew that last year's NL batting titlist was named Freddy Sanchez.

"I don't know him personally," Harang said. "But shoot, he might be like me … boring."

Sanchez became the 11th Buc to win a batting crown and the first since Bill Madlock in 1983.

As it turns out, though, Sanchez has an effervescent personality that manager Jim Tracy has compared to the Niagara Falls of effervescence, Sean Casey. So this guy's low profile can only be pinned on one overwhelming factor: Pittsburgh.

Outside Pittsburgh, Sanchez is a regular John Doe. But in Pirates country, he's a total cult hero. Pittsburgh Magazine named him one of Pittsburgh's 25 Most Beautiful People. Broadcaster Lanny Frattare nicknamed him "Freddy the Great." And when he came to bat in the All-Star Game last July -- in Pittsburgh -- it was such a huge moment we can't prove that ovation isn't still going on.

"It's weird," Sanchez said, "because you go to Pittsburgh, and you're kind of in a whole different world. Then you go back home [to Arizona], and no one knows who you are."

Sanchez's offseason neighbor in Chandler, Ariz., happens to be the league's other best-kept offensive secret, fellow Pirate Jason Bay. And they pretty much spend the winter proving that most Americans aren't aware that Pittsburgh still has a baseball team.

"It's funny," Bay said, "because anyone that does recognize us is always from Pittsburgh. I'll hear, 'Excuse me. Are you Jason Bay?' I'm like, 'Yeah. How ya doing?' And the next line is always: 'Oh, I'm from Pittsburgh. Big fan.' It's become a standing joke that anybody that does notice us has some tie to Pittsburgh. It's amazing."

But here's something even more amazing -- that Hollywood hasn't picked up on "The Freddy Sanchez Story," because it's quite a tale.

Born with a right foot smaller than his left foot, doctors weren't sure he would even walk normally, let alone morph into a big league batting champ. Went to an NAIA college (Oklahoma City University), where he became only an 11th-round draft pick.

Hurt his ankle in 2003, in the middle of his breakout season in Triple-A (.341 for Pawtucket). Traded to the Pirates in the Jeff Suppan deal that July, but barely played for the next season and a half because of those ankle troubles. Spent 2005 as a utility man. Went to spring training 2006 not even sure he'd make the team, with Jose Bautista ahead of him at second base and Joe Randa ahead of him at third.

And then, of course, won the batting title.

You think even Freddy Sanchez saw that coming?

Fewest career ABs entering batting-title season
(last 40 years)
0 Ichiro Suzuki, SEA 2001
196 Alex Rodriguez, SEA 1996
291 Don Mattingly, NYY 1984
338 Wade Boggs, BOS 1983
494 Tony Gwynn, SDG 1984
522 Freddy Sanchez, PIT 2006
"Not at all," Sanchez said. "It was just last year in spring training that I was fighting for a utility job. I didn't even play much in April. I had a couple of pinch-hit at-bats, played maybe a couple of days as a defensive replacement, things like that -- but I was just fighting for a utility job. Then [Randa got hurt], and I was just going to play until Joe was healthy. And the next thing I knew, one thing led to another."

More specifically, one hit led to another. So a fellow who got only 48 at-bats in April wound up with 200 hits, 53 doubles, 85 RBIs, a .344 batting average … and a place on quite the exalted list of Pirates batting champs: Honus Wagner … Roberto Clemente … Paul Waner …

"When they put that list in the paper," Sanchez said, "I was kind of in awe."

But who could blame him? As good a hitter as people always thought he'd be, Sanchez was more than merely the most unlikely batting champ in Pirates history. He was one of the most unlikely batting champs in anybody's history.

In the past four decades, only five players won a batting title in a season they entered with fewer big league at-bats than Sanchez had before 2006 (522). Those five, according to the Elias Sports Bureau, were Ichiro Suzuki (2001), Alex Rodriguez (1996), Don Mattingly (1984), Tony Gwynn (1984) and Wade Boggs (1983). It's safe to say none of those guys spent that spring worrying about getting sent to Indianapolis.

So if it's any consolation to those of you who weren't aware this man won that batting title, you should know that the guy who won it hasn't quite digested it himself.

In fact, Sanchez said, he's a little bummed out that baseball doesn't give a trophy to its batting champs. Without one, "maybe no one will believe me, that I won one. I might tell them, 'Hey, give me something -- just so I can believe it.'"

Even if they gave this guy a trophy the size of Mount Washington, though, he probably could still walk up to your front door right now -- and we bet you wouldn't know him from the mailman. Just like his partner in spectacular anonymity, Aaron Harang.

Jayson Stark is a senior writer for ESPN.com.

redsfan30
03-05-2007, 02:57 PM
Good read. I too have no clue how he doesn't get a single vote. I don't think any of us expected him to win the award, but not one vote? Come on.

Joseph
03-05-2007, 03:06 PM
I'll be honest I was more disappointed that he didn't get votes than shocked, but after that list came out back during the arbitration talk...well then I became shocked, and embarrassed for myself as a fan not to understand how good he was, and for baseball fans everywhere to have people covering the game that didn't get this guys name out there.

redsmetz
03-05-2007, 03:57 PM
Since the invention of the Cy Young Award in 1956, every pitcher who led the National League in both of those categories won the Cy Young (11 of them in a row).

That is stunning and it is a travesty. In many ways, I think this endemic how poorly MLB markets itself. They ought to be trumpeting these types of players instead of the usual "cult of personality" out there. For that matter, the Reds should be regularly inundating the media with their players' top performances.

bucksfan2
03-05-2007, 04:36 PM
This article sheds some light on what is wrong in baseball. There is such a competitive imballance that unless you play in the big markets (NY, LA, Chicago, or Boston) you tend to go unnoticed. Take Harang's numbers from last year, throw a cubs uniform on him and he is the cy young winner. The league fails to market players outside of the big market cities. Could you imagine if Soriano signed with the Royals this past offseason. Half of the major league executives would have to look up where KC was on a map in order to cover the story. Its a shame that you can have two players have seasons that both Harang and Sanchez had and go unnoticed.

thatcoolguy_22
03-05-2007, 04:48 PM
Then again, "Who" could almost be Harang's unofficial last name. For instance, here's the complete list of NL pitchers who have led the league in both wins and whiffs in the past 50 years: Randy Johnson, John Smoltz, Dwight Gooden, Steve Carlton (three times), Tom Seaver, Sandy Koufax (three times), Don Drysdale and … Aaron Harang. Who?

This line says everything. Notice the pitchers he is in a list for pure dominance with. I was expecting a top 3 in cy young votes and was shocked to see not a single one. I hope he destroys this year!!

However given the "pitcher abuse" he accumulated last season (without a bullpen mind you) I am fearful of what might happen in '07...

However GO REDS!!! 5-0 in ST 104-58 in regular season :D

maniem
03-05-2007, 05:47 PM
This article sheds some light on what is wrong in baseball. There is such a competitive imballance that unless you play in the big markets (NY, LA, Chicago, or Boston) you tend to go unnoticed. Take Harang's numbers from last year, throw a cubs uniform on him and he is the cy young winner. The league fails to market players outside of the big market cities. Could you imagine if Soriano signed with the Royals this past offseason. Half of the major league executives would have to look up where KC was on a map in order to cover the story. Its a shame that you can have two players have seasons that both Harang and Sanchez had and go unnoticed.

Sad but true statement. But I also believe that if this had been 15- 20 years ago, when both the Reds and Pirates were still solid franchises, both players would have likely gotten more publicity. It's really quite strange how both teams have followed similar downward trends: I often feel for Pittsburgh fans, because after seeing their team being an annual contender in the late 80's to early 90's, they've had to endure many long season since, just like us Reds fans. Here's to both of these once proud franchises hopefully turning it around in the next few years.

CINCYREDS#1
03-05-2007, 06:48 PM
how did harang not win the Cy Young?
simple
hes not on the yankees or red sox

BASEBALL NEEDS A SALARY CAP!

CINCYREDS#1
03-05-2007, 06:49 PM
P.S. harang will win it this year!

redsfan30
03-05-2007, 08:09 PM
simple

As I said, I don't think anyone expected him to win the award. But to not even get a single vote is crazy.

Grounds_Crew
03-05-2007, 08:12 PM
Beat this! I really like Harang. He's so humble and that shows in his performance, as the article illustrated.

http://www.ipixelspot.com/files/161/110-1004_IMG%20%28Small%29.JPG

guttle11
03-05-2007, 08:14 PM
Who?

coachw513
03-05-2007, 08:41 PM
But that's only the beginning of Harang's dazzling journey toward invisibility. He also managed to avoid winning the Pitcher of the Year award -- on his own team. (Bronson Arroyo won that election.)

This has always been the worst indignity...it's one thing for the national media to fail to understand Harang's value to the Reds and the level of his play last year, but our own media???...Last I checked, charisma and musical ability aren't pre-requisites for top pitcher honors (not that I don't enjoy or like Arroyo, I just think Harang is totally unappreciated!!)

justincredible
03-05-2007, 08:48 PM
I really admire the way Harang goes about his job here in Cincinnati. He is quiet, not flashy and therefor he doesn't get the media attention that a player of his caliber deserves. Honestly, though, he doesn't seem like the kind of guy who cares about media attention. I still can't believe he didn't recieve a single Cy Young vote last season, but I have a feeling that will change next year.

He is a true definition of the term Workhorse and by far my favorite player in MLB not named Adam Dunn.

:harang:

bucksfan2
03-06-2007, 09:17 AM
simple

Agree. Not to mention the fact that most people get their info from ESPN and their leading two baseball analysist are a red sox fan in Gammons and a Yankees puppett in Olney.

FutureRedsGM
03-06-2007, 11:28 AM
Agree. Not to mention the fact that most people get their info from ESPN and their leading two baseball analysist are a red sox fan in Gammons and a Yankees puppett in Olney.

Last night on the Top Ten Plays on Sportscenter, some no named Yankee hit a home run to keep them unbeaten this spring. Not only were the Reds (also undefeated) not on the Top Ten Plays, their record wasn't mentioned at all. It's sick to think about how many people get their only sports info from such a biased source.

texasdave
03-06-2007, 12:21 PM
This has always been the worst indignity...it's one thing for the national media to fail to understand Harang's value to the Reds and the level of his play last year, but our own media???...Last I checked, charisma and musical ability aren't pre-requisites for top pitcher honors (not that I don't enjoy or like Arroyo, I just think Harang is totally unappreciated!!)

You are right except for the fact that Arroyo probably had a better year than Harang. He had more IPs, a better WHIP, a better ERA and a better OPSA. An argument could be made either way, but for Arroyo to have won the Reds' Pitcher of the Year award is hardly an indignity.

Eric_Davis
03-06-2007, 01:07 PM
That is stunning and it is a travesty. In many ways, I think this endemic how poorly MLB markets itself. They ought to be trumpeting these types of players instead of the usual "cult of personality" out there. For that matter, the Reds should be regularly inundating the media with their players' top performances.

Yes, yes, yes, yes, yes.

MartyFan
03-06-2007, 01:13 PM
simple

I'll second that!

George Anderson
03-06-2007, 01:28 PM
I'll second that!

Nothing would make me happier to see a salary cap, unfortunately the Players Union kinda doesnt agree.

Chip R
03-06-2007, 01:48 PM
What does a salary cap have to do with Harang not getting enough publicity?

bucksfan2
03-06-2007, 02:06 PM
What does a salary cap have to do with Harang not getting enough publicity?

IMO it would have helped Harang out. Look at football and its competitive ballance. When teams play on an equal playing field there is more publicity for the smaller markets. There is more exposure for the smaller market teams. Take for example, Carson is one of the better qb's in the league. Now take away competitive ballance and a shift of media focus to teams such as the Cowboys, Giants, and Pats and Carson doesn't get quite the recognition that other qb's do. Jake Peavy is one of the better pitchers in the game but I would be willing to bet that if you had a poll of baseball fans many wouldn't be able to tell you which team he played on. Does the salary cap make a player better? No. But what it does do is create a competive ballance which would then give more publicity to players in a small market city.

Chip R
03-06-2007, 02:28 PM
IMO it would have helped Harang out. Look at football and its competitive ballance. When teams play on an equal playing field there is more publicity for the smaller markets. There is more exposure for the smaller market teams. Take for example, Carson is one of the better qb's in the league. Now take away competitive ballance and a shift of media focus to teams such as the Cowboys, Giants, and Pats and Carson doesn't get quite the recognition that other qb's do. Jake Peavy is one of the better pitchers in the game but I would be willing to bet that if you had a poll of baseball fans many wouldn't be able to tell you which team he played on. Does the salary cap make a player better? No. But what it does do is create a competive ballance which would then give more publicity to players in a small market city.

There's no proof that when teams play on an equal playing field that the smaller markets get more publicity. There is also no proof that a salary cap creates greater competitive balance. Justin Morneau of the small market Twins won the MVP over Derek Jeter from the New York Yankees even though most people thought Jeter deserved it. Carson Palmer is getting publicity because he plays in a league where they play once a week and every game is televised. And because he is good.

Perhaps if the local yokels would focus more on Harang's accomplishments than Adam Dunn's failings, he would receive more publicity. You really think if there was a salary cap, ESPN wouldn't talk about the Red Sox and Yankees 24/7?

Redsland
03-06-2007, 02:40 PM
Seven different teams have won the last 10 world championships.

Fourteen different teams have won the last 20 pennants.

Baseball doesn't have a competitive balance problem.

bucksfan2
03-06-2007, 02:42 PM
Perhaps if the local yokels would focus more on Harang's accomplishments than Adam Dunn's failings, he would receive more publicity. You really think if there was a salary cap, ESPN wouldn't talk about the Red Sox and Yankees 24/7?

Agreed about the local reporters. Did you know that Adam Dunn flew up to Columbus during spring training??? However if there is a salary cap the red sox and yankees aren't what they are right now. They do not have an alstar at every position. They also aren't paying transfer fees that exceed other clubs entire team salary. Basically I am saying that with a salary cap you hopefully have a competitive ballance which makes teams in smaller markets just as competitive as teams in larger markets.

dougdirt
03-06-2007, 03:19 PM

You are right about 2 of those things.
Baseball has a salary cap and maybe the Royals still have Johnny Damon and Carlos Beltran in their outfield.
Baseball has a salary cap and the Yankees starting infield doesn't make more by themselves than 70% of the teams in baseball. These is a competitive balance problem. Certain teams will not be able to compete with the Yankees and Red Sox of the world until there is some limit on what you can spend.

bucksfan2
03-06-2007, 04:01 PM
You are right about 2 of those things.
Baseball has a salary cap and maybe the Royals still have Johnny Damon and Carlos Beltran in their outfield.
Baseball has a salary cap and the Yankees starting infield doesn't make more by themselves than 70% of the teams in baseball. These is a competitive balance problem. Certain teams will not be able to compete with the Yankees and Red Sox of the world until there is some limit on what you can spend.

Not to mention the Royals have Jermaine Dye in the OF as well. Look at a guy like Abreu. He was traded because he was going to make too much money next year. The Yankees were basically the only team willing to take him so they get him at a discount. Not only do they get a very prolific OF but they get him at a reduced rate because they can afford to pay him.

Chip R
03-06-2007, 04:11 PM
Not to mention the Royals have Jermaine Dye in the OF as well. Look at a guy like Abreu. He was traded because he was going to make too much money next year. The Yankees were basically the only team willing to take him so they get him at a discount. Not only do they get a very prolific OF but they get him at a reduced rate because they can afford to pay him.

The Phils could have afforded Abreu if they wanted to. They just chose not to.

fisch11
03-06-2007, 05:07 PM
Under the radar = less pressure and greater performance. I'll take under the radar for 16-20 wins.

Ravenlord
03-07-2007, 01:52 AM

Tampa Bay and Toronto say 'Hi.'

Chip R
03-07-2007, 08:52 AM
Tampa Bay and Toronto say 'Hi.'

So do the Bengals, Clippers, and Arizona Cardinals.

bucksfan2
03-07-2007, 08:57 AM
So do the Bengals, Clippers, and Arizona Cardinals.

The bengals made the playoffs 2 years ago. The clippers made the playoffs last year and the cardnals have more playoff wins in the past 10 years than do the D Rays, Reds, Pirates, Brewers, Rockies, Rangers, and Royals combined.

CaiGuy
03-07-2007, 09:06 AM
While I think that it isn't fair that he didn't get any votes, in a selfish way, you have to see the benefit to the Reds. Look at the extension he got. It was at a very reasonable rate, especially when you look at it compared to free agent contracts this year.

Now imagine that he is huge on a national scene. He gets all kinds of glamor and attention and wins the Cy Young hands down. Now, the entire league notices him. Big market teams become more willing to open up the wallets and stop at no price to get the Cy Young Aaron Harang. He knows this, and decides to cash in. He demands a big contract (which, of course, the Reds won't give him), and decides to test the market. No more Harang for the Reds.

Publicity, I think, effects market value, which effects price. Whatever keeps that price down (other than performance) is fine with me.

Chip R
03-07-2007, 10:48 AM
The bengals made the playoffs 2 years ago. The clippers made the playoffs last year and the cardnals have more playoff wins in the past 10 years than do the D Rays, Reds, Pirates, Brewers, Rockies, Rangers, and Royals combined.

You have to remember that MLB only allows 8 teams in their playoffs. The NFL allows 12 and the NBA 16. The Royals might have been in the playoffs a few years ago if they allowed 12 or 16 teams in the playoffs. Same for the Reds. It's not a lack of a salary cap keeping these teams down, it's bad management. Lack of a salary cap didn't stop TEX from signing Chan Ho Park or the Reds Eric Milton. It didn't stop the Royals from signing Gil Meche.

A salary cap does not ensure competitive balance. One of the reasons the Bengals made the playoffs a couple of years ago was they played a weak schedule. If a salary cap ensures competitive balance, why were the Bengals so bad for so long? Why have the Arizona Cardinals been this bad lo these many years?

ThatsAStrike
03-07-2007, 04:13 PM
A salary cap does not ensure competitive balance. One of the reasons the Bengals made the playoffs a couple of years ago was they played a weak schedule. If a salary cap ensures competitive balance, why were the Bengals so bad for so long? Why have the Arizona Cardinals been this bad lo these many years?You said pretty much exactly what I was going to say in response to competitive balance and the Bengals making the playoffs. A salary cap is not the answer. I'm not saying I know what the answer is, but I think revenue sharing and luxury taxes are a step in the right direction.

Back on topic, I'm rather amazed that Harang didn't receive a single Cy Young vote as well. But, as CaiGuy pointed out, it may have worked in the Reds' favor.

Caveman Techie
03-07-2007, 04:50 PM
I support a salary cap just for the reason that, it removes the excuses. If everyone spent the same amount of money (or relatively close to it) to field a team, the owners wouldn't be able to use the old "small-market" crutch.

Now I do think that being able to out-spend everyone else in the league is a huge leg up on the competition, but it is not the end all, be all of success. And a smart organization will find a way to win (see Twins and A's).