PDA

View Full Version : What would it take?

TheWalls
03-07-2007, 01:05 PM
I know it's early, but I think several of the young arms, most notably Saarlos, Salmon, and Belisle (maybe Burton, too) are better than some of the old, bad, mid-80s (speed not age), junk throwing geezers we're counting on right now.

My question: what would it take for all of them to make the staff? (Remember we lose Burton if he doesn't stick and I don't see a lot of other 25 year-olds with mid-90s stuff laying around.)

1) Jerry gets over his man love for Moeller?
2) Lohse and Majik to DL?
3) Cormier traded back to Philly or some other sap?
4) Uncle Miltie cut, traded, shot, etc.?
5) Unexpected ineffectiveness/injury from a member of the Golden Buckeye Bullpen?

Don't get me wrong, I think having a couple Stanton/Weathers types in the pen keeps things loose, mentors the kids on how to prepare and pitch. HOWEVER, a whole pen of them stunts the development of the few younger power arms we have.

redsmetz
03-07-2007, 04:03 PM
I know it's early, but I think several of the young arms, most notably Saarlos, Salmon, and Belisle (maybe Burton, too) are better than some of the old, bad, mid-80s (speed not age), junk throwing geezers we're counting on right now.

My question: what would it take for all of them to make the staff? (Remember we lose Burton if he doesn't stick and I don't see a lot of other 25 year-olds with mid-90s stuff laying around.)

1) Jerry gets over his man love for Moeller?
2) Lohse and Majik to DL?
3) Cormier traded back to Philly or some other sap?
4) Uncle Miltie cut, traded, shot, etc.?
5) Unexpected ineffectiveness/injury from a member of the Golden Buckeye Bullpen?

Don't get me wrong, I think having a couple Stanton/Weathers types in the pen keeps things loose, mentors the kids on how to prepare and pitch. HOWEVER, a whole pen of them stunts the development of the few younger power arms we have.

A couple of thoughts in response

1) Oh, sheesh, enough with the "man love" - I don't think they're going with 3 catchers - one will be moved or not make the club. Roster spot open there.

2) Lohse & Majik - I think Majik will start the season on the DL, I think it's too early to say on Lohse.

3) Cormier - I've been saying all winter I think he'll be moved. I know the clock's ticking, but I still think this.

4) Milton will not be cut. I don't think he'll be traded unless it's into the season after he shows he's well.

5) I don't think Weathers or Stanton are going anywhere. I think they'll prove to be valuable members of the bullpen.