PDA

View Full Version : Hello, I am a Yankees fan.

BubbaCrosby
03-07-2007, 04:24 PM
First of all, I am Bubba Crosby's biggest fan. I followed him on the Yankees and I like him so much I will be following the Reds as a second team now. I have about 12 autographs from Bubba and I have his Yankees player shirt (got it customized). I can't wait for tonight, I get to watch Bubba finally on YES. If stats don't lie it looks as if Bubba is really tearing it up in ST so far.

So, I will be with you guys until Bubba goes to another team! :beerme:

I belong to countless numbers of message boards- many of them being vbulletin. But, on these boards I can't figure out how to get an avatar. I can't find it in the CP. Also, you can't have images in your sigs?

Thanks,
Ben

Red Leader
03-07-2007, 04:29 PM
Welcome, Ben.

No, no images in your sig. Those eat bandwidth and the site owners pay for the hosting.

The avatars are for "ORG Members" only (those with 200 rep points or more). You earn "rep points" through your quality of posts. Those with 200 rep points or more, ORG posters, have the ability to "rate" your posts and give you either positive or negative rep points. Make sense? Probably not, but you'll catch on. Again, welcome.

Joseph
03-07-2007, 04:29 PM
Hello Ben, welcome to RZ.

You have to have 200 rep points to get an avatar, and we don't currently allow images in signatures.

Can I ask, why Bubba Crosby?

RL beat me to it. :)

Doc. Scott
03-07-2007, 04:37 PM
Are you the guy with the Bubba blog that C. Trent keeps mentioning?

If so, well, your dedication is... uh... impressive.

BubbaCrosby
03-07-2007, 04:38 PM
Bubba hustles and plays every game like it is his last. That is something all players should aspire to do. I am familiar with these reputation points as I belong to the Denver Broncos message board and they have a similar system called Contributor points. They don't really mean much though, other than building a rep on the site. So you get 1 point per? So 200 people have to RP me?

Red Leader
03-07-2007, 04:43 PM
I am familiar with these reputation points as I belong to the Denver Broncos message board and they have a similar system called Contributor points. They don't really mean much though, other than building a rep on the site. So you get 1 point per? So 200 people have to RP me?

Well from there it gets kind of complicated.... :laugh:

I forget how rep points are calculated. But you get 'x' amount of points per 1000 posts, 'x' amount of points per the total rep you have, and probably some more if you have a blog about Bubba Crosby (just kidding).

Anyway, each member of ORG has a different "strength" of rep to give. Some people can give you rep and you gain 20 points, others give you rep and you get 2 or 3 points. You don't earn rep points just for posting, though, which is sounds like what they do on that Denver site you mentioned. You have to be given rep by an ORG member to have your total go up. Like I said, you'll catch on and start to understand as time goes by.

Example: I have 18,729 posts and a total rep (right now) of 1213. My rep "power" is 18 points meaning if I give someone positive rep, their rep goes up 18 points. You need to get to 200 to get into ORG and get an avatar. Everyone starts at 10 points by default.

Newman4
03-07-2007, 04:43 PM
Alright, you got me wondering too....again, why Bubba other than hustle? Secondly, why the Denver Broncos being from NY?

dougdirt
03-07-2007, 04:44 PM
Bubba hustles and plays every game like it is his last. That is something all players should aspire to do. I am familiar with these reputation points as I belong to the Denver Broncos message board and they have a similar system called Contributor points. They don't really mean much though, other than building a rep on the site. So you get 1 point per? So 200 people have to RP me?

I was beat to the punch. See above.

HumnHilghtFreel
03-07-2007, 04:46 PM
Well from there it gets kind of complicated.... :laugh:

I forget how rep points are calculated. But you get 'x' amount of points per 1000 posts, 'x' amount of points per the total rep you have, and probably some more if you have a blog about Bubba Crosby (just kidding).

Anyway, each member of ORG has a different "strength" of rep to give. Some people can give you rep and you gain 20 points, others give you rep and you get 2 or 3 points. You don't earn rep points just for posting, though, which is sounds like what they do on that Denver site you mentioned. You have to be given rep by an ORG member to have your total go up. Like I said, you'll catch on and start to understand as time goes by.

Here it is from the "instruction manual"

When someone registers as a member at RedsZone, they begin with a default reputation score of 10. These members are free to read any forum, but cannot yet post at The Old Red Guard. In order to do so, they must reach a reputation score of 200, in addition to being a registered member for at least 30 days and having a minimum of 60 posts. Only members who can post in The Old Red Guard can affect reputation.

Members are able to assign reputation values depending upon his or her reputation power. Reputation power is derived from multiple factors - not all members assign the same value. For each year a member has been registered as a member of this site, they receive 1 power point. For every 4000 posts a member has made, they receive 1 power point. For every 150 reputation points a member has accumulated, they receive 1 power point. A member may be ranked both positively and negatively. This will, in effect, allow the community to moderate itself. Negative reputation only detracts HALF of what a positive reputation remark adds to a user's score.

BubbaCrosby
03-07-2007, 04:47 PM
Denver Broncos- I had family members working for CBS when they did the playoffs and my family got a lot of free stuff. They gave all of the Broncos stuff to me. When I got into football I decided to watch some Broncos games and I have been obsessed for 6 years!

Newman- Bubba was so easy to root for. He had all the qualities that I appreciate in a player. He and Robinson Cano are my two fav's. So members start with 10 RPs or did I just get 10?

EDIT: NVM about the 10 RPs.

Red Leader
03-07-2007, 04:48 PM
Thanks HumnHilghtFarneyFreel! :beerme:

paintmered
03-07-2007, 04:50 PM
Denver Broncos- I had family members working for CBS when they did the playoffs and my family got a lot of free stuff. They gave all of the Broncos stuff to me. When I got into football I decided to watch some Broncos games and I have been obsessed for 6 years!

Newman- Bubba was so easy to root for. He had all the qualities that I appreciate in a player. He and Robinson Cano are my two fav's. So members start with 10 RPs or did I just get 10?

EDIT: NVM about the 10 RPs.

Yep, you start with 10 reputation points.

Red Leader
03-07-2007, 04:50 PM

Everyone starts with 10 as the default.

Also, a little FYI, it's not a good idea to ask for rep points, or complain that someone subtracted (ie neg'd) rep points from you. That doesn't go over well on the boards.

BubbaCrosby
03-07-2007, 04:51 PM
Right. Has anyone taken pictures of Bubba in ST? I can't find any.

TOBTTReds
03-07-2007, 04:54 PM

You ever been to Louisville?

Red Leader
03-07-2007, 04:54 PM

Check here:

http://thep03.sytes.net/reds_gallery/?spgmGal=2007/Spring%20Training

This is a gallery one of the members of the site has going...

BubbaCrosby
03-07-2007, 04:56 PM
Check here:

http://thep03.sytes.net/reds_gallery/?spgmGal=2007/Spring%20Training

This is a gallery one of the members of the site has going...

Before I made this thread I looked through every photo in that album and the only one I found was him sort of in the picture with his back faced to the camera. :(

Red Leader
03-07-2007, 05:03 PM
Before I made this thread I looked through every photo in that album and the only one I found was him sort of in the picture with his back faced to the camera. :(

Well, there's plenty of time left in spring training....

Keep that site bookmarked and check it out. I believe he adds new pictures everyday.

BubbaCrosby
03-07-2007, 05:21 PM
Alright, will do!

vaticanplum
03-07-2007, 07:19 PM
Welcome, Bubba. I also like watching Bubba Crosby play; I think he could be a real asset to this team if he's used correctly. Be prepared to defend him though...he'll probably take a bit of a beating here if he's not used correctly (or even if he is :) ).

Degenerate39
03-07-2007, 07:23 PM
Nice to have you at Redszone even though your a Yankee fan :)

4256 Hits
03-07-2007, 09:42 PM
1st Welcome!!

But what exactly of his career .555 OPS made you become his "super fan"? I for one hope to never see him play a game in a Reds uniform.

BubbaCrosby
03-07-2007, 11:19 PM
Check out my Bubba highlight reel from tonights game. The link can be found in my sig! Enjoy!

BubbaFan
03-08-2007, 12:45 AM
Are you the guy with the Bubba blog that C. Trent keeps mentioning?

No, that would be me. :-)

I'm not obsessed, I'm just very focused...

Wheelhouse
03-08-2007, 01:46 AM
Welcome Bubba Crosby--don't worry about RedsZoners questioning you liking Bubba. All I have to point out is the hand Crosby got when he first came to bat tonight from the Yankee fans, who are the most critical in the world. It's just that some here have their eyes fixed on one or two newfangled stats from March through October. Don't worry about 'em! Enjoy!

TeamCasey
03-08-2007, 05:39 AM
I'm not obsessed, I'm just very focused...

:laugh:

Whereabouts in upstate NY, if you don't mind me asking? You can PM me if you don't want to say on the board. I'm an ex-upstate NYer. (former Yankee fan too).

BubbaFan
03-08-2007, 07:25 AM
Whereabouts in upstate NY, if you don't mind me asking? You can PM me if you don't want to say on the board. I'm an ex-upstate NYer. (former Yankee fan too).

I started out in the Capital District, but am now in the Mid-Hudson region. Not a bad area. Except it's expensive. And there are far too many Red Sox fans. ;-)

CINCYREDS#1
03-08-2007, 09:13 AM
comin over from the dark side
nice work!

BubbaCrosby
03-08-2007, 10:11 AM
Nice to see another Bubba fan.

I am near NY city.

Red Leader
03-08-2007, 10:35 AM
Nice to see another Bubba fan.

I am near NY city.

You mean you two aren't related? ;) :laugh:

Chip R
03-08-2007, 10:58 AM
Welcome Bubba Crosby--don't worry about RedsZoners questioning you liking Bubba. All I have to point out is the hand Crosby got when he first came to bat tonight from the Yankee fans, who are the most critical in the world.

Maybe they are just happy he's no longer a Yankee. ;)

BubbaCrosby
03-08-2007, 04:07 PM
You mean you two aren't related? ;) :laugh:

That is odd- 2 new Bubba fans.

Chip R
03-08-2007, 04:08 PM
Your boy just went yard.

BubbaFan
03-08-2007, 07:05 PM
We are not related. That I know of. I guess you never know. ;)

I registered here back in January, but didn't post until another Bubba fan drew me out.

Also, we've been discussing where to go for game threads at my blog (the one Trent keeps mentioning :laugh: ). We all know where to go for Yankees game threads, but were clueless about Reds game threads. Someone recently posted a comment saying that RedsZone had the best Reds game threads, so maybe a few more Bubba fans will come on over.

I did see that Bubba went boom today. RedsZone is sadly blocked by my workplace filters, but I was following Trent's blog. :beerme:

StillFunkyB
03-08-2007, 07:22 PM

jimbo
03-08-2007, 07:24 PM
Someone recently posted a comment saying that RedsZone had the best Reds game threads, so maybe a few more Bubba fans will come on over.

As far as I'm concerned, if he is wearing a Reds uniform, I'm a fan. :thumbup:

I for one admire your enthusiasm. Welcome to the board.

FlightRick
03-08-2007, 07:24 PM
Wow. This guy registers, professes a love of the Yankees, and in 2 days has 26 rep points? While I, a veteran of YEARS and ALMOST A DOZEN POSTS here at RedZone, toil with just 3 rep points?

I feel it is now my duty and obligation to admit that I, too, am a Yankee fan. For true! My parents were both from Connecticut, and I come by the fandom honestly: my childhood was spent thinking Don Mattingly was the bee's knees, and assuming that 4th place in the AL East was par for the course.

Following that shameful admission, I'd insist that you now REP ME, DAMMIT! Except that I doubt being the third person with this gimmick will be good for much love around here. I guess what I really need to do know is to figure out where Shane Spencer is playing these days, register for the biggest and best message board for that team, pick the screenname "OMG Shane Spencer #1 LOL~!", and make a boob out of myself there....

paintmered
03-08-2007, 07:28 PM
Rule Number 1 of Redszone: Thou shalt not mention rep points in the thread.

Rule Number 2 of Redszone: Thou shalt not mention rep points in the thread.

BubbaCrosby
03-08-2007, 07:41 PM
Your boy just went yard.

Serious???

HumnHilghtFreel
03-08-2007, 07:42 PM
Wow. This guy registers, professes a love of the Yankees, and in 2 days has 26 rep points? While I, a veteran of YEARS and ALMOST A DOZEN POSTS here at RedZone, toil with just 3 rep points?

I feel it is now my duty and obligation to admit that I, too, am a Yankee fan. For true! My parents were both from Connecticut, and I come by the fandom honestly: my childhood was spent thinking Don Mattingly was the bee's knees, and assuming that 4th place in the AL East was par for the course.

Following that shameful admission, I'd insist that you now REP ME, DAMMIT! Except that I doubt being the third person with this gimmick will be good for much love around here. I guess what I really need to do know is to figure out where Shane Spencer is playing these days, register for the biggest and best message board for that team, pick the screenname "OMG Shane Spencer #1 LOL~!", and make a boob out of myself there....

I don't know what to tell you... actually I do. Contribute something positive/meaningful.

FlightRick
03-08-2007, 07:55 PM
I don't know what to tell you... actually I do. Contribute something positive/meaningful.

Serious???

paintmered
03-08-2007, 07:57 PM
Serious???

Absolutely. It's the fastest way to earn positive reputation. It doesn't matter if we agree with your thoughts, if it's compelling and presented well, you will be rewarded.

BubbaCrosby
03-08-2007, 07:58 PM
Serious???

Do you have a problem with me?

FlightRick
03-08-2007, 08:27 PM
Do you have a problem with me?

Oy. No, of course not. In fact, congratulations on actually grasping the point of my last one-word post. paintmered didn't figure it out.

I'm just cranky. The Reds lost. The Dayton Flyers basketball season is done following a throrough man-handling courtesy of hated Eggsavier. And for some reason, "The Office" is in reruns for the next month. I'm left with nothing better to do except act like a jerkface on message boards!

Chalk it up to me having pretty lofty standards (I do get genuinely annoyed by anybody who thinks its worth their time, OR MINE, if they post one-sentence, one-word, or one-emoticon responses on a message board), and thinking that "68 posts in less than two days" is probably going just a little bit overboard. I don't have 68 ideas worth leaving the house to share with strangers in a 36 hour timeframe, and trust me: I'm a pretty smart fella, so neither do you.

Also: paintmered, the Rules of Fight Club would have shamed me into submission, except that Beloved Newcomer BubbaCrosby mentioned the Rep Points In The Thread several times IN THIS VERY THREAD. And you know who joined the conversation about said Rep Points? Uh oh, spaghetti-o's.... so instead of being shamed, I am now just giggling like the giggliest of schoolgirls at your attempted tongue-lashing.

And HumanHighlightFreelWithoutVowels: believe me, the point of my post was not to actually stump for rep points or put myself over. I know 12 posts in 4 years isn't gonna win me any awards, and I pretty much only have a screenname so I can read all the forums here. No matter how high my Baseball IQ, there's just so little worth saying that doesn't get said first by other, more vigilant people around here, so I stay mostly mute. [I also get deeply annoyed that I spend 99% of my time getting that message at the top RedZone that says "We notice you have not posted in several weeks. You should fix that." UGH. No wonder so many people feel so compelled to post mindless one-word responses. RedZone gets mad at you if you don't!] Point is: I was more just trying to underscore the silliness of the sudden and spontaneous love for the BubbaCrosby guy, and make myself feel better by chopping him down.

Because, like I said, I'm a jerkface. I believe that is my final word on the issue. Please resume normal operations.....

BubbaCrosby
03-08-2007, 09:34 PM
Oy. No, of course not. In fact, congratulations on actually grasping the point of my last one-word post. paintmered didn't figure it out.

I'm just cranky. The Reds lost. The Dayton Flyers basketball season is done following a throrough man-handling courtesy of hated Eggsavier. And for some reason, "The Office" is in reruns for the next month. I'm left with nothing better to do except act like a jerkface on message boards!

Chalk it up to me having pretty lofty standards (I do get genuinely annoyed by anybody who thinks its worth their time, OR MINE, if they post one-sentence, one-word, or one-emoticon responses on a message board), and thinking that "68 posts in less than two days" is probably going just a little bit overboard. I don't have 68 ideas worth leaving the house to share with strangers in a 36 hour timeframe, and trust me: I'm a pretty smart fella, so neither do you.

Also: paintmered, the Rules of Fight Club would have shamed me into submission, except that Beloved Newcomer BubbaCrosby mentioned the Rep Points In The Thread several times IN THIS VERY THREAD. And you know who joined the conversation about said Rep Points? Uh oh, spaghetti-o's.... so instead of being shamed, I am now just giggling like the giggliest of schoolgirls at your attempted tongue-lashing.

And HumanHighlightFreelWithoutVowels: believe me, the point of my post was not to actually stump for rep points or put myself over. I know 12 posts in 4 years isn't gonna win me any awards, and I pretty much only have a screenname so I can read all the forums here. No matter how high my Baseball IQ, there's just so little worth saying that doesn't get said first by other, more vigilant people around here, so I stay mostly mute. [I also get deeply annoyed that I spend 99% of my time getting that message at the top RedZone that says "We notice you have not posted in several weeks. You should fix that." UGH. No wonder so many people feel so compelled to post mindless one-word responses. RedZone gets mad at you if you don't!] Point is: I was more just trying to underscore the silliness of the sudden and spontaneous love for the BubbaCrosby guy, and make myself feel better by chopping him down.

Because, like I said, I'm a jerkface. I believe that is my final word on the issue. Please resume normal operations.....

I have so many posts because I was giving updates in the game thread yesterday. I don't think I can live up to your standards- I have failed!!! :laugh:

http://i109.photobucket.com/albums/n59/GrandSalami/Other/Despairfailure.jpg

jimbo
03-09-2007, 01:20 AM
The Dayton Flyers basketball season is done following a throrough man-handling courtesy of hated Eggsavier

I feel your pain brother. :angry:

Jpup
03-09-2007, 02:08 AM