PDA

View Full Version : 3/8 Reds-Tigers Lineups

Pages : [1] 2

HotCorner
03-08-2007, 11:30 AM
From C. Trent's blog ...

SARASOTA, Fla. -- Back home nice and early.

Here's the lineup:

Freel CF
Hateberg 1B
Encarnacion 3B
Dunn LF
Phillips 2B
Hamilton RF
Gonzalez SS
Ross C
Harang P

And here's the guys who lost to the Cardinals... and jeez, with this lineup, I'm still not sure how that happened
Granderson CF
Polanco 2B
Sheffield LF
Ordonez RF
Rodriguez C
Inge 3B
Shelton 1B
Infante SS
Robertson P

Gainesville Red
03-08-2007, 11:32 AM
Ya know, if this were the regular season, I'd say I don't hate that lineup.

paintmered
03-08-2007, 11:34 AM
Ya know, if this were the regular season, I'd say I don't hate that lineup.

I'd agree with you. But if this were the regular season, we'd somehow get blown out 14-3 with that lineup just because we said we didn't hate it.

TheWalls
03-08-2007, 11:35 AM
They both look pretty close to regular season lineups. Nice.

Red Leader
03-08-2007, 11:35 AM
When is Jr going to get some game action?

Not that he still can't be ready for the regular season or anything, it'd just be nice peace of mind to see his name in the lineup one of these days.

Grounds_Crew
03-08-2007, 11:36 AM
I'm realling liking the Reds lineup...on paper and so far on the field as well. As for Detroit, wow...they look great on paper too. I had a blast going up to Comerica last year to see the Reds play.

Anyway, who's going to be providing the play by play on here for us guys at work? :beerme:

Grounds_Crew
03-08-2007, 11:37 AM

Not that he still can't be ready for the regular season or anything, it'd just be nice peace of mind to see his name in the lineup one of these days.

Yeah, what he said...

redsfan30
03-08-2007, 11:38 AM

I want to see Junior in there as much as anybody, but there's just no need to run him out there this early in Spring Training and risk him re-injuring that hand.

A player of his caliber doesn't need four weeks to get ready to go. Give him 10-14 days and he's good to go.

I'd rather see him in Cincinnati come April 2nd than see him in Sarasota on March 8th.

Red Leader
03-08-2007, 11:39 AM
I want to see Junior in there as much as anybody, but there's just no need to run him out there this early in Spring Training and risk him re-injuring that hand.

A player of his caliber doesn't need four weeks to get ready to go. Give him 10-14 days and he's good to go.

I'd rather see him in Cincinnati come April 2nd than see him in Sarasota on March 8th.

I totally understand where you're coming from, and I agree with that last sentence, but wasn't Jr. supposed to be fully recovered like 2-3 weeks ago?

Grounds_Crew
03-08-2007, 11:42 AM
They always list Junior as "day to day" no matter what his injury is. So, we'llnever know.

coachw513
03-08-2007, 11:59 AM
Aren't we all DAY TO DAY??:jump:

Though the honest intel coming from the Reds on injuries makes Bill Belichick look like the town gossip :rolleyes:

KoryMac5
03-08-2007, 12:02 PM
Good test for Harang today should be a good game both teams fielding potent lineups.

Strikes Out Looking
03-08-2007, 12:04 PM
Not trying to rip Jr. here, but shouldn't the organization make some kind of statement about his status. He hurt his toe late last season, they called it day to day and he started no more games. He broke his hand in the off-season, they announced he was all healed and now, March 8, he still hasn't appeared in a ST game. I, as a fan, would really like to know if he is going to play and when. The truth would be nice.

Grounds_Crew
03-08-2007, 12:08 PM
Good test for Harang today should be a good game both teams fielding potent lineups.

Harang actually played REALLY well last year against the Tigers on Sunday. He kept them scoreless into the 8th I believe, and then had an error while trying to underhand a ball to first base, which allowed to runner to reach. I can't remember exactly, but I think that runner ended up being the winning run.

At any rate, Harang was impressive.

RedsFanInMD
03-08-2007, 12:21 PM
According to the Cinci Enquirer, Junior and Dunn hit against Loshe in his simulated session. Narron said that Junior looked like someone who hasn't played in awhile. Meanwhile, Junior is still reporting some soreness in the wrist.

M2
03-08-2007, 12:28 PM
I totally understand where you're coming from, and I agree with that last sentence, but wasn't Jr. supposed to be fully recovered like 2-3 weeks ago?

I'm still waiting for the broken wrist to turn into a leg injury. I don't know exactly how it will migrate from one limb through the core of his body to another limb, but that seems to be the way his body works.

RedFanAlways1966
03-08-2007, 12:29 PM
Harang actually played REALLY well last year against the Tigers on Sunday. He kept them scoreless into the 8th I believe, and then had an error while trying to underhand a ball to first base, which allowed to runner to reach. I can't remember exactly, but I think that runner ended up being the winning run. At any rate, Harang was impressive.

Good memory, G_C. REDS lost that May 21 game 1-0. Harang went 8IP and gave up only 5 hits. Had 9 Ks and only 1 BB. Too bad the REDS offense managed only 3 hits in the game. Oh... and that was before "the trade". A month that saw the REDS score 3 runs or less in a game 16 times out of 28 games. Did I mention it was before "the trade"?!? :devil:

Grounds_Crew
03-08-2007, 12:29 PM
For what it's worth, I broke my wrist on Christmas eve in 2005. It was broken in 3 places. So, I had a cast for 8 weeks. The day that I got my cast taken off, I wrapped it...and played in a basketball league. It was the first game of the league, and I didnt want to miss. I didnt have any problems, but...it was sore from time to time for several months. I guess that is to be expected. It wasn't bad enough to limit me from doing anything, but soreness was just part of the deal.

I think he'll be fine and ready for opening day. Only time will tell though. Let's just hope for the best.

Natty Redlocks
03-08-2007, 12:36 PM
Not trying to rip Jr. here, but shouldn't the organization make some kind of statement about his status. He hurt his toe late last season, they called it day to day and he started no more games. He broke his hand in the off-season, they announced he was all healed and now, March 8, he still hasn't appeared in a ST game. I, as a fan, would really like to know if he is going to play and when. The truth would be nice.

The truth is, the less Jr. plays, the more Hamilton plays. And that's not a bad thing.

cumberlandreds
03-08-2007, 12:37 PM
According to the Cinci Enquirer, Junior and Dunn hit against Loshe in his simulated session. Narron said that Junior looked like someone who hasn't played in awhile. Meanwhile, Junior is still reporting some soreness in the wrist.

I have a feeling this soreness is going to linger most of the season. :(

Red Leader
03-08-2007, 12:39 PM

Uh-oh. That's not good. I know soreness lingers after a broken bone heals but it just seems that with Griffey those injuries linger longer and longer than anyone else. Knowing that, I wouldn't be surprised if they held out Griffey until the last week of Spring Training, or maybe even into the regular season. They are not going to risk him re-injuring something early in the season.

Tornon
03-08-2007, 12:40 PM
Good memory, G_C. REDS lost that May 21 game 1-0. Harang went 8IP and gave up only 5 hits. Had 9 Ks and only 1 BB. Too bad the REDS offense managed only 3 hits in the game. Oh... and that was before "the trade". A month that saw the REDS score 3 runs or less in a game 16 times out of 28 games. Did I mention it was before "the trade"?!? :devil:

That was the same game we saw Adam Dunn lay down a bunt

membengal
03-08-2007, 01:07 PM
Amazing thing is, as the years have passed, it got so much easier to stop obsessing about jr.'s return dates from injury.

In the meantime, more for Hamilton, more to look forward to seeing how he can handle it. Which is fun.

Robertson today for Detroit, right? Another lefty for him to practice against.

membengal
03-08-2007, 01:07 PM
Granderson grounds back to the pitcher's mound.

One out.

membengal
03-08-2007, 01:08 PM
I don't mind giving you all some pbp, but i don't know how long I can do that today.

Polanco homers.

1-0 Tigers.

membengal
03-08-2007, 01:09 PM
Sheffield lines out to 2b (soft liner).

Two outs in the top of the first.

Krash
03-08-2007, 01:10 PM
I have a feeling this soreness is going to linger most of the season. :(

You hit the nail on the head there.

Grounds_Crew
03-08-2007, 01:11 PM
Thanks ahead of time for the Play By Play.

membengal
Ordonez flies out to Hamilton in deep right.

At the end of one half inning, 1-0 Tigers.

membengal
No commercials on this webcast again, some lucky fan with the correct lucky number in today's program just won some trinket or another.

membengal
03-08-2007, 01:13 PM
Ryan Freel leads off the Reds bottom of the first...31st birthday today.

membengal
03-08-2007, 01:14 PM
Freel Ks, Mr. Hatte up...

membengal
03-08-2007, 01:17 PM
Mr. Hatte runs the count full and works a walk.

One out, one on, EE up...

KoryMac5
03-08-2007, 01:19 PM
Uh-oh. That's not good. I know soreness lingers after a broken bone heals but it just seems that with Griffey those injuries linger longer and longer than anyone else. Knowing that, I wouldn't be surprised if they held out Griffey until the last week of Spring Training, or maybe even into the regular season. They are not going to risk him re-injuring something early in the season.

Plus when you are 38yrs young injuries have the tendency to linger longer than they did when you were 18

membengal
EE has worked the count full...

Grounds_Crew
Griffey is 36 isn't he?

membengal
03-08-2007, 01:21 PM
Joel "Guitar Hero" Zumaya has made the trip to Sarasota today, and should make an appearance later...

EE grounds into a force play (nice play by Infante apparently), Hatte out at second, EE at 1b, two outs.

Dunner up...( I presume he filled everyone in over the last few days on the UFC goings on in Columbus...)

membengal
03-08-2007, 01:23 PM
Robertson Ks Dunn.

After one inning, 1-0 Tigers.

membengal
03-08-2007, 01:24 PM
Another lucky fan being identified, page 29, complementary something or other with an $80 value from a local Toyota dealership.

And yet another lucky fan, this time for a $20 gift certificate to somewhere or other.

pedro
03-08-2007, 01:25 PM
For what it's worth, I broke my wrist on Christmas eve in 2005. It was broken in 3 places. So, I had a cast for 8 weeks. The day that I got my cast taken off, I wrapped it...and played in a basketball league. It was the first game of the league, and I didnt want to miss. I didnt have any problems, but...it was sore from time to time for several months. I guess that is to be expected. It wasn't bad enough to limit me from doing anything, but soreness was just part of the deal.

I think he'll be fine and ready for opening day. Only time will tell though. Let's just hope for the best.

I broke my wrist in 1984 and cut my cast off early to play baseball. Although I did wear a brace my wrist still hurts from time to time.

membengal
Van Halen's "Dance the Night Away" carrying the Reds through Harang's warm-up pitches...

Ivan Rodriguez starting the second inning...

Redsland
Another lucky fan being identified, page 29, complementary something or other with an $80 value from a local Toyota dealership.

And yet another lucky fan, this time for a $20 gift certificate to somewhere or other.

I won! I won!

membengal
Pudge lines to RF, Hamilton on the spot, one down.

Brandon Inge up.

membengal
03-08-2007, 01:26 PM
Inge flares a hit into right in front of a charging Hamilton, one on, one out.

I believe Chris Shelton due up.

membengal
03-08-2007, 01:28 PM
Yup, Shelton. For those of you webcasting, Steve Stewart will take and answer e-mails, should you have preguntas for him.

Yeah, that's right, I just went bilingual for a second, try and keep up.

Shelton hammers one to deep right center...home run.

3-0 lead for Tigers.

Cue someone on here to over-react at some point and express concern over Harang...

membengal
03-08-2007, 01:29 PM
Next guy up, missed who it was, flares a hit into right center.

it was Infante.

One out, one on, Robertson up.

redsmetz
03-08-2007, 01:29 PM
Yup, Shelton. For those of you webcasting, Steve Stewart will take and answer e-mails, should you have preguntas for him.

3-0 lead for Tigers.

Cue someone on here to over-react at some point and express concern over Harang...

I rarely get worked up about one isolated Spring Training outing. I figure they're working on something or trying new things out.

membengal
03-08-2007, 01:30 PM
Back on Shelton's homerun, do remember that this is his time of the year, now through the end of April. After that? Not so much.

Robertson Ks trying to bunt.

Granderson up with two down and one on...

edabbs44
03-08-2007, 01:32 PM
Inge flares a hit into right in front of a charging Hamilton, one on, one out.

I believe Chris Shelton due up.

Deno would have had that. ;)

edabbs44
03-08-2007, 01:32 PM

3-0 lead for Tigers.

Dude...this guy is killing us. His contract will look like Milton's in 3 months. Trade him now.

dabvu2498
03-08-2007, 01:33 PM
I'm watching Kentucky-Alabama in the SEC tourney, listening to Xavier-Dayton in the A-10 tourney and getting ST updates on Redszone.

It is a good day.

membengal
03-08-2007, 01:33 PM
Granderson singles on a 3-2 pitch into center, Infante, running on the pitch, heads to third...

but...

...Infante slows up heading into third. BIG mistake, Freel comes up throwing and nails him as he slows down into the bag, EE with the tag, third out.

3-0 Tigers middle of the second.

membengal
03-08-2007, 01:34 PM
Dude...this guy is killing us. His contract will look like Milton's in 3 months. Trade him now.

OUTstanding work. Truly. That is just the right pitch of panic.

membengal
03-08-2007, 01:35 PM
Another lucky number handed out, how can the fans pay attention to what's going on with all that winning happening around them?

Brandon Phillips to begin the Reds half of the second...

membengal
03-08-2007, 01:36 PM
Robertson Ks Phillips on three pitches, the last looking.

The Natural now up. Another tough lefty for Hamilton to deal with (he worked a walk off of Petitte last night)...

AccordinglyReds
Griffey is 36 isn't he?

37. :p:

redsmetz
I'm watching Kentucky-Alabama in the SEC tourney, listening to Xavier-Dayton in the A-10 tourney and getting ST updates on Redszone.

It is a good day.

Be careful or you'll end up like this poor guy!

http://www.pophouse.com/site_images/small_photo/aut_2291.jpg

membengal
03-08-2007, 01:37 PM
Hamilton gets the count to 2-2, then Ks on a changeup.

Four Reds have K'd of their five outs so far...

membengal
03-08-2007, 01:39 PM
Sorry, stepped away for a second to adjust my fantasy pitcher rankings ahead of my live auction draft at the end of the month. Apparently Nate Robertson will be the second coming of Sandy Koufax this year.

Gonzalez up, count is one ball and two strikes...

edabbs44
03-08-2007, 01:39 PM
Hamilton gets the count to 2-2, then Ks on a changeup.

Four Reds have K'd of their five outs so far...

The 2007 Juggernaut Reds looking like the Reds of yore.

membengal
03-08-2007, 01:40 PM
Gonzalez with a moral victory, makes contact, grounds out to SS.

After two innings, 3-0 Tigers.

membengal
03-08-2007, 01:41 PM
Another lucky stamp giveaway. The crowd clearly has to be drained from all this winning...

membengal
03-08-2007, 01:42 PM
Going old school on the music now, Beach Boys' "Good Vibrations" carrying Harang through his warm-up pitches.

Polanco, who homered last at-bat, leads off the third.

Chip R
03-08-2007, 01:42 PM
I hate to say it but perhaps Josh is coming back to Earth now. Or at least the law of averages is kicking in.

membengal
03-08-2007, 01:43 PM
Bad Boy now referencing that Jayson Stark article that got posted about five different times in five different threads on Reds Live. One thing I don't get about Harang not getting a single vote for the Cy last year, why didn't one of the Reds' own beat writers include Harang on one of their ballots? Anyone asked Fay about that? Or Hal McCoy?

At any rate, if they were handing out Cys for today's performance no worries for Harang. Palonco singles. No outs, one on.

membengal
03-08-2007, 01:45 PM
EE apparently makes a heckuva play, going to his knees to spear a shot to his right, gets the force on the lead runner at second.

One out, Sheffield now on at first, Ordonez up.

texasdave
03-08-2007, 01:45 PM
Another lucky stamp giveaway. The crowd clearly has to be drained from all this winning...

Lucky for those fans it is also Detroit Tiger Shopping Bag Day. They are gonna need those high-quality shopping bags to carry off all those prizes being given away.

membengal
03-08-2007, 01:46 PM
I hate to say it but perhaps Josh is coming back to Earth now. Or at least the law of averages is kicking in.

Well, he wasn't going to bat .582 all year.

Bigger good sign from him, referencing Cyclone's post on ORG, is his batting eye, which is what I am so happy about at this point.

And, oh yeah, his glove. Apparently a diving catch just now to rob Ordonez of a hit.

Two outs, still a runner on first.

membengal
03-08-2007, 01:50 PM
Ken Broo is apparently at Ed Smith. No word on whether his boos and bravos are with him.

Count full on Pudge...

klw
03-08-2007, 01:50 PM
I broke my wrist in 1984 and cut my cast off early to play baseball. Although I did wear a brace my wrist still hurts from time to time.

Well we will keep you out of today's line-up as a precaution.:)

membengal
03-08-2007, 01:51 PM
Pudge rips a ball into the gap in right center, Sheffield comes around to score from first, Pudge cruises into second.

4-0 Tigers, still two out, Inge up.

Chip R
03-08-2007, 01:51 PM
Well, he wasn't going to bat .582 all year.

Bigger good sign from him, referencing Cyclone's post on ORG, is his batting eye, which is what I am so happy about at this point.

And, oh yeah, his glove. Apparently a diving catch just now to rob Ordonez of a hit.

Two outs, still a runner on first.

Hopefully that is the case and the law of averages is kicking in. I did watch him last night - at least 3 of his ABs - while Rivera made him look bad, Mo has made a career of making guys more accomplished than Josh look bad. I thought he looked very good on that 1st AB when he drew the walk against Pettite. But I'm sure certain bitter people are going to rail about him being kept on the roster all year.

GoReds
03-08-2007, 01:52 PM
This just in - the Tigers are a pretty good team.

Chip R
03-08-2007, 01:52 PM
This just in - the Tigers are a pretty good team.

Except when they play the Cards. We need to start hitting the ball back to the mound. We'll win for sure! :laugh:

membengal
03-08-2007, 01:53 PM
Inge flies to right, Hamilton tracks it down in the stiff breeze.

Inning over.

4-0 Tigers.

And, hold on to your hats folks, ANOTHER lucky stamp giveaway. The only people who aren't winning today in Sarasota are the Reds' starting nine...

GoReds
03-08-2007, 01:53 PM
Except when they play the Cards. We need to start hitting the ball back to the mound. We'll win for sure! :laugh:

That would be pretty scrappy!

membengal
03-08-2007, 01:54 PM
Hopefully that is the case and the law of averages is kicking in. I did watch him last night - at least 3 of his ABs - while Rivera made him look bad, Mo has made a career of making guys more accomplished than Josh look bad. I thought he looked very good on that 1st AB when he drew the walk against Pettite. But I'm sure certain bitter people are going to rail about him being kept on the roster all year.

Word. And, no doubt.

Then again, THIS bitter person has clear memories of Quentin McCracken on this club last year, so let's just say I can live with a lefty power bat, plus speed, and a great glove off the bench and spot starting for this team this time around...

scounts22
03-08-2007, 01:54 PM
Be careful or you'll end up like this poor guy!

http://www.pophouse.com/site_images/small_photo/aut_2291.jpg

Where do you find all these pics? Funny stuff! :D

membengal
03-08-2007, 01:55 PM
David Ross starts the Reds third, after first offering a dead chicken to Jobu, I am sure, in the hopes that he can make contact against Nate Robertson.

membengal
03-08-2007, 01:56 PM
Ross falls behind 0-2, works the count full, then grounds out to third.

Jobu comes through.

Javy Valentin pinch hitting for Harang (who clearly "got his work in" today).

HumnHilghtFreel
03-08-2007, 01:57 PM
Bah, I just got home from class to see a 4-0 score. LETS GO REDLEGS!

PuffyPig
03-08-2007, 01:57 PM
. But I'm sure certain bitter people are going to rail about him being kept on the roster all year.

It will be the same people who railed on Pena being kept on the roster too.

That's the "Pena" who got us Arroyo.

Chip R
03-08-2007, 01:58 PM
Word. And, no doubt.

Then again, THIS bitter person has clear memories of Quentin McCracken on this club last year, so let's just say I can live with a lefty power bat, plus speed, and a great glove off the bench and spot starting for this team this time around...

Q was scraptastic. Should be in redsupport's hall of fame - or is that hall of (the ) lame?

membengal
Valentin, turned around to the right side to face Robertson (which, as we all know, makes him about as effective as Superman with a handful of Kryptonite), somehow works a walk off of the startled Nate Robertson. Freel up, one out, one on.

While Freel is 31 today, no word on how old Farny is. Or whether Freel or Farney ever had any luck with craigslist (or with whoever pulled that joke on them)...

redsmetz
Where do you find all these pics? Funny stuff! :D

I just do image searches with different words for the concept I'm reaching for. Most of the time it works.

membengal
03-08-2007, 01:59 PM
Freel/Farny doubles off the wall in the left field corner, Valentin cruises into third.

Second and third, one out, Mr. Hatte up.

membengal
03-08-2007, 02:01 PM
Jim Leyland, managing like it's the World Series (only the bizarro one where the Tigers didn't lie down for their opponent) takes a trip to the mound to discuss things with Robertson.

Pretty exhausting standard in Detroit when giving up your first hit of the day draws a visit from the skip in the third inning...

membengal
03-08-2007, 02:02 PM
Mr. Hatte, bringing it like it counts, snaps at John Hirshback over that last strike call, 2-2 the count...

redsmetz
03-08-2007, 02:03 PM
Mr. Hatte, bringing it like it counts, snaps at John Hirshback over that last strike call, 2-2 the count...

Sounds like mid-season form to me.

membengal
03-08-2007, 02:03 PM
Mr. Hatte takes a called strike three, Roberston, now at his pitch limit for the day, will be lifted after his fifth K, EE up with two outs, not sure yet who is coming in.

I will take this break in the action (and Mr. Hatte's backwards K) to pimp Joey Votto. Votto. FAR more certain than the lotto.

Sean_CaseyRules
03-08-2007, 02:05 PM
I will take this break in the action (and Mr. Hatte's backwards K) to pimp Joey Votto. Votto. FAR more certain than the lotto.

:KoolAid:

membengal
The Ed Smith Stadium production crew breaks out that old chestnut Cha-Cha-Cha-Cha-Changes as the new Tigers pitcher heads toward the mound.

The crowd, sifting through their Reds giveaway booty, orders another adult beverage and settles in to see if EE can make the game a little more interesting.

Fernando Rodney, one time closer for Detroit in.

HumnHilghtFreel
Fernando Rodney in to pitch for DET

membengal
03-08-2007, 02:07 PM
Humn, usually folks prefer just one pbp, and if you want to do it, I will yield to you, but I don't want to duplicate efforts.

EE Ks. Ks. The theme of the Reds day.

4-0 Tigers heading into the fourth.

HumnHilghtFreel
03-08-2007, 02:07 PM
It's all yours :)

edabbs44
03-08-2007, 02:08 PM

People will rail about him being on the roster if ST proves to be a mirage.

membengal
03-08-2007, 02:09 PM
Current Redszone boogeyman Rheal Cormier now in the game to pitch.

redlegs2370
03-08-2007, 02:10 PM
EE Ks. Ks. The theme of the Reds day.

I hope they aren't reverting back to last years k rate

membengal
03-08-2007, 02:10 PM
For those that note the Tigers are desperate for a left-handed reliever out of their pen, and maintain the capacity for wild dreams, this is an important inning.

Oops, a line single to LF for Mr. spring, Chris Shelton, starts off the Tigers fourth...

membengal
03-08-2007, 02:12 PM
I hope they aren't reverting back to last years k rate

Eh, I am not one who cares about how the outs are made. I am in Neyer's camp, they really only hurt our feelings. And Nate Robertson hurt a lot of feelings today.

Infante grounds into a Casey (who, ironically, didn't make the trip today) 4-6-3. Two outs, none on.

Time to talk to the Tigers about Cormier's availability...Rodney up and hitting for himself...nearly doubles down the line (just foul). Quick! Talk to the Tigers now!

membengal
03-08-2007, 02:14 PM
Fernando Rodney, taking this at-bat VERY seriously, waggling at the plate like Sheffield, just broke a bat on the last foul ball. The antics are making the crowd laugh, now another deep foul down the right field line.

And, in a line that you will NOT hear much this year, Stewart says that the batter is "late on Cormier's fastball". Flare into CF run down by Freel, inning over.

Cormier's trade value may never be higher...

Middle of the fourth, 4-0 Tigers.

Dunn, Phillips and the Natural due up next half inning.

membengal
03-08-2007, 02:17 PM
Dunn rips a ball to deep CF, and will watch it leave the yard.

4-1 Tigers.

HumnHilghtFreel
03-08-2007, 02:18 PM
way to go dunner

membengal
Brandon Phillips now up off of what should be a clearly shaken Fernando Rodney.

Grounds_Crew
NICE! That-a-boy Dunner!

Chip R
03-08-2007, 02:19 PM
People will rail about him being on the roster if ST proves to be a mirage.

Perhaps. But as others have said, can he be any worse than Q or Reggie Taylor or some of the other dreck we've had as the 25th man? Even Marty said he was the best defensive OFer on the team. You take Josh out of the equation and who do you have taking his place? You could have Deno but Deno should start or at the very least be the 4th OFer. Plus Deno is a RH hitter. The other team isn't going to pull their righty reliever or starter so a lefty can pitch to Deno. If Josh Hamilton making this team out of ST is the worst problem the Reds have, they are in pretty good shape. But we know that isn't the case.

membengal
03-08-2007, 02:20 PM
Rodney one of those reliever types who works from the stretch regardless. For some reason, those guys annoy me.

2-2 on Phillips, fouls the ball off his foot. "Writhing in pain" but shaking it off. Stepping back into the box...but swings and misses and hobbles back to the dugout. Bet his day is now done.

The Natural due up.

flyer85
03-08-2007, 02:20 PM
really want to keep an eye on Dunn and see where the HRs are going. If he is successful with the less movement and staying closed longer stuff you will see a number of HRs going out from CF to LC.

membengal
03-08-2007, 02:22 PM
Hamilton works the count 2-2, then rips a triple off the wall in right.

Everyone rushes back onto the Natural's bandwagon...

thatcoolguy_22
Everyone rushes back onto the Natural's bandwagon...

lol:laugh:

membengal
For those of you looking at Hamilton's scrap factor, that would have been a double for most humans apparently, but he turned on the jets to make it, and went into 3b head first...

Grounds_Crew
03-08-2007, 02:23 PM
Obviously, just like the rest of us...errr, most of us...I think Hamilton is another goldmine find like Brandon Phillips...but even better! Wow, this kid is good!

membengal
03-08-2007, 02:24 PM
Alex G pops into shallow center, and Flash Gordan couldn't have scored from 3b on the flare.

Two outs, David Ross up. Hamilton still on 3b.

paintmered
03-08-2007, 02:24 PM
For those of you looking at Hamilton's scrap factor, that would have been a ground out for most humans apparently, but he turned on the jets to make it, and went into 3b head first...

Fixed that for you. ;)

Cyclone792
03-08-2007, 02:25 PM
For those of you looking at Hamilton's scrap factor, that would have been a double for most humans apparently, but he turned on the jets to make it, and went into 3b head first...

Details, man, details! :D

EDIT: Nevermind, I found it. Don't mind me ...

klw
03-08-2007, 02:27 PM
For those of you looking at Hamilton's scrap factor, that would have been a double for most humans apparently,.

Likely only a single for me these days:)

membengal
03-08-2007, 02:28 PM
Cyclone, I will do what I can on those details, he fell behind 1-2, worked a ball to make it 2-2, and then, according to Stewart launched one to RF. I believe it hit off the wall. He had to haul rear end to make it to 3b, from the description. I can only see as good here in Memphis as Stewart can describe....

By the way, Ross worked the count to 3-1 and then flailed on two straight fast balls. Inning over.

4-1 Tigers after four.

Another lucky Reds stamp showers swag on some Ed Smith fan.

Brian Meadows in to pitch for the men of Red.

Chip R
03-08-2007, 02:29 PM

If he was really scrappy he'd steal home - sliding in head first, of course.

paintmered
03-08-2007, 02:30 PM
Mem, thanks for doing such a great job with the commentary. :)

membengal
03-08-2007, 02:30 PM
Phillips indeed out to, I am sure, put ice on his foot. Fouling a ball of your instep remains, as I remember from my playing days, pure pain.

Curtis Granderson greets Brian Meadows with a hit, his second of the day, and the Tigers' ninth overall.

Some idiot, apparently frustrated by no banana phone, just e-mailed Stewart to ask if Brandon Claussen was ready to make an impact this year....

HumnHilghtFreel
03-08-2007, 02:31 PM
Freel adds another one to the highlight reel catches :cool:

GoReds
Hamilton might wind up taking Deno's legendary status.

membengal
Flare to CF, apparently looking like a hit, forgets that this is Freel and not Jr. patroling out there, and dies in his diving stab at the ball. One out.

Dunn then runs down a flare in LF. Two outs.

Cyclone792
Cyclone, I will do what I can on those details, he fell behind 1-2, worked a ball to make it 2-2, and then, according to Stewart launched one to RF. I believe it hit off the wall. He had to haul rear end to make to to 3b, from the description. I can only see as good here in Memphis as Stewart can describe....

By the way, worked the count to 3-1 and then flailed on two straight fast balls. Inning over.

4-1 Tigers after four.

Another lucky Reds stamp showers swag on some Ed Smith fan.

Brian Meadows in to pitch for the men of Red.

Thanks, bud! I'm just looking for details on Hamilton's PAs rather than every batter so there's no need to strain yourself too much. ;)

So far today it looks like Hamilton's seen at least 10 pitches over his two plate appearances, which is another great sign. The dude just keeps strolling to the plate with an excellent approach.

paintmered
03-08-2007, 02:32 PM
Hamilton might wind up taking Deno's legendary status.

They both have a long way to go to touch Jim Coombs.

edabbs44
03-08-2007, 02:32 PM
Perhaps. But as others have said, can he be any worse than Q or Reggie Taylor or some of the other dreck we've had as the 25th man? Even Marty said he was the best defensive OFer on the team. You take Josh out of the equation and who do you have taking his place? You could have Deno but Deno should start or at the very least be the 4th OFer. Plus Deno is a RH hitter. The other team isn't going to pull their righty reliever or starter so a lefty can pitch to Deno. If Josh Hamilton making this team out of ST is the worst problem the Reds have, they are in pretty good shape. But we know that isn't the case.

He can't be worse than Q or Wise...but it doesn't make it alright.

The biggest problem I can see with him being on the roster is Jerry flat-out refusing that he isn't producing (if such is the case) and having him be the primary 4th OF and pinch-hitter for the whole season. Narron has a way of making situations like these a lot worse than they have to be.

membengal
03-08-2007, 02:33 PM
Mem, thanks for doing such a great job with the commentary. :)

Np, paint. Work has been killing me of late, but a trial that was due to start in 10 days just got continued against all odds, and I can actually look forward to the start of baseball season again. And breathe.

Runner on first (Granderson) steals second.

Two outs, runner on second. Ordonez singles to LF, Granderson scores.

5-1 Tigers.

Chip R
03-08-2007, 02:33 PM
Some idiot, apparently frustrated by no banana phone, just e-mailed Stewart to ask if Brandon Claussen was ready to make an impact this year....

Oh dear God. :eek: Of course it could be the e-mailer is a Nats fan - or JimBo.

Red Leader
03-08-2007, 02:35 PM
Alex G pops into shallow center, and Flash Gordan couldn't have scored from 3b on the flare.

Two outs, David Ross up. Hamilton still on 3b.

For the record:

Flash Gordon isn't that fast. I mean, he did play football for the NY Jets, but he wasn't that much faster than the average man. He probably couldn't have scored from 3rd.

http://www.nonstop.tv/virtupload/showtime/2/FlashGordon(1)_small.jpg

The man with the wheels is just "Flash". He's fast. He could have probably scored from 1st.

http://www.cosmiccomix.com/news/100806/flash.jpg

membengal
03-08-2007, 02:36 PM
Oh dear God. :eek: Of course it could be the e-mailer is a Nats fan - or JimBo.

It crossed my mind on Nats fan...but, c'mon, what are the odds of a Nats fan dialing in to the Reds broadcast and then shooting off an e-mail on Claussen's struggle to be among the chaff in DC? I think, not good. Clearly your usual clueless fan.

Infield hit on a dribble down the 3b line continues the inning as Pudge reaches.

First and second, two outs for Brandon Inge.

Razor Shines
Mem(I refuse to type the rest of your sn) great job on the pbp, I've been home for 10 minutes and feel like I've watched the entire game so far.

Degenerate39
When is Griffey going to be able to play?

Joseph
03-08-2007, 02:37 PM
Great, now I have a Queen song in my head. Thanks alot RL

Red Leader
03-08-2007, 02:37 PM

See the first page of this thread and be happy if it's prior to April 2nd.

membengal
03-08-2007, 02:38 PM
Inge chops one over the mound, Machado (now in at 2b) makes the play, Brian Meadows hauls his largely ineffective self back to the dugout.

5-1 Tigers, middle of the fifth.

Pinch hitter for Meadows, then spots one and two in the line-up due up for the men of Red.

paintmered

Whenever Narron puts him in the lineup.

i.e. nobody really knows. He's listed as "day to day", but then again, aren't we all. My guess is sometime next week.

Red Leader

Gordon's alive! :evil:

Chip R

http://www.jamination.com/baseball/storyboards/pitching/magic%208%20ball%20out/magic-8-ball0420.jpg

membengal
03-08-2007, 02:39 PM
For the record:

Flash Gordon isn't that fast. I mean, he did play football for the NY Jets, but he wasn't that much faster than the average man. He probably couldn't have scored from 3rd.

http://www.nonstop.tv/virtupload/showtime/2/FlashGordon(1)_small.jpg

The man with the wheels is just "Flash". He's fast. He could have probably scored from 1st.

http://www.cosmiccomix.com/news/100806/flash.jpg

Doh! Smacks head. Comic fan I am clearly not.

Too right.

Flash, perhaps, could have scored on that.

paintmered

http://ytmndflash.ytmnd.com/

membengal
Oops, my bad, apparently Narron went all double switch at some point, as Machado, now batting in the 9th spot, leads off the fifth.

membengal
03-08-2007, 02:40 PM
Wilfredo Ledezma on to pitch for Detroit. Polanco throws out Machado, who grounded politely to 2b.

Freel now up.

membengal
03-08-2007, 02:42 PM
John Fay joining Stewart in the webcasting booth. Freel lines out. Two outs.

Fay says Harang told the reporters "it's early. I was rushing a bit. I felt OK. I want to be better next time." Assume other assorted cliches and file under "no need to worry".

Mr. Hatte grounds out.

Inning over extremely quickly.

5-1 after five.

Fay will stick around another half inning. Perhaps someone can talk Stewart into asking Fay why he didn't put Harang anywhere on his Cy Young ballot last year...

Red Leader
03-08-2007, 02:44 PM
http://ytmndflash.ytmnd.com/

:laugh: :beerme:

That's shooting liquid out of my nose funny.

membengal
03-08-2007, 02:44 PM
Top of the 6th, Stewart and Fay resume their conversation. Fay and Stewart have decided the depth of competition is better than it has been in awhile.

membengal
03-08-2007, 02:45 PM
Chris Shelton, in his usual spring zone, leads off. Michael Gosling now pitching.

Freel and Mr. Hatte out, the Gil Person and Joey "I will not be ignored" Votto now in the game as well.

membengal
03-08-2007, 02:46 PM
John Fay says the next outing for Paul Wilson is "a big one". It will be Saturday against Cleveland. If Cleveland sends their usual crew for that one, I don't like Wilson's chances.

Gosling Ks Shelton.

membengal
03-08-2007, 02:46 PM
Fay says, with regard to the Natural, that the chances of him making the roster have to be about 95% at this point.

membengal
03-08-2007, 02:47 PM
Alex G apparently makes a stunner of a play at SS, climbing a tall ladder to rob Infante of a hit.

Two outs, no one on.

Razor Shines
03-08-2007, 02:48 PM
John Fay says the next outing for Paul Wilson is "a big one". It will be Saturday against Cleveland. If Cleveland sends their usual crew for that one, I don't like Wilson's chances.

Gosling Ks Shelton.

Did they mention anything about how hard he is or is not throwing? Like did they say if anyone has had a radar gun on him this year?

membengal
03-08-2007, 02:49 PM
Fay now talking about the improved D up the middle with Alex G and Phillips.

Vance Wilson now up for Detroit.

Fay, if had to guess at this point, says that Saarloos has to the favorite for the fifth spot in the rotation at this point.

Vance Wilson homers. Now 6-1 Tigers.

membengal
03-08-2007, 02:49 PM
Razor, no word from them on how Gosling is looking, and no word on his velocity. General team chatter mostly, with the game unfolding around them, if you follow me...

membengal
03-08-2007, 02:50 PM
Oooh, sorry, Razor, you meant Wilson. No, nothing about velocity. Just that he has to "be better". I think we all agree with that.

Razor Shines
03-08-2007, 02:50 PM
Razor, no word from them on how Gosling is looking, and no word on his velocity. General team chatter mostly, with the game unfolding around them, if you follow me...

I'm sorry I meant Wilson, but don't worry about.

membengal
03-08-2007, 02:51 PM
Then again, my fastball tops out about 51 nowadays, and I have as good a shot as touching 90 at this point as Paul Wilson does.

Foul out ends the inning.

Inning over. 6-1 Tigers.

John Fay leaves the booth. Why is he called "the bank president"?

Chip R
03-08-2007, 02:52 PM
Did they mention anything about how hard he is or is not throwing? Like did they say if anyone has had a radar gun on him this year?

Last night Marty said he was around 87-88 on the gun his first outing and less than that against the Phils.

Razor Shines
03-08-2007, 02:53 PM
Last night Marty said he was around 87-88 on the gun his first outing and less than that against the Phils.

Wow. That's 7 or 8 mph faster than I would have guessed.

Chip R
03-08-2007, 02:53 PM

Not quite sure. Perhaps because he takes quite a bit of time off. Of course, if Marc is the Godfather and Trent is the Consigliere, Fay should probably be Fredo.

Red Leader
03-08-2007, 02:54 PM

Because, judging by his effort, he's the best at putting in "banker's hours?"

:dunno:

Retneprac
Marty gave Fay the nickname "The Bank President" because he claims that Fay never works the weekends...like a bank president.

Thanks for doing the pbp

membengal
Bottom of the sixth underway, four pitches apparently occur before Stewart mentions it, Ledezma still pitching, 2-2 count on EE.

membengal
03-08-2007, 02:55 PM
EE starts things off with a single to center.

No prob on the pbp, glad to do it. Nice break for me.

Cyclone792
03-08-2007, 02:55 PM
Marty gave Fay the nickname "The Bank President" because he claims that Fay never works the weekends...like a bank president.

It also should be aptly noted that when Fay takes time off, the Reds beat coverage from the Enquirer temporarily improves for a few days.

Then Fay returns, and the Enquirer's Reds coverage goes back to crap.

membengal
03-08-2007, 02:56 PM
Dunn singles to right center, EE to second.

Grounds_Crew
03-08-2007, 02:57 PM
Nice little rally to begin the inning ehhh...

oneupper
03-08-2007, 02:57 PM
Dunn has more singles in a week than he usually gets in a month.

Cyclone792
03-08-2007, 02:58 PM
Dunn has more singles in a week than he usually gets in a month.

I have no idea here so I'm wondering ... but does anybody know how often teams have placed the shift on Dunn this year during spring training?

membengal
03-08-2007, 02:58 PM
The Gil person triples home two, 6-3 Tigers.

The Natural up.

flyer85
03-08-2007, 02:59 PM
I honestly think Gil and his power would be a much better asset than keeping Castro around to caddy for EE.

Grounds_Crew
The Gil person triples home two, 6-3 Reds.

The Natural up.

Niiiiice!

membengal
Count now 3-1 on the Natural, Cyclone.

membengal
03-08-2007, 03:00 PM
Cyclone, the Natural walks. You and I and a few others are now unnaturally excited about that.

Grounds_Crew
03-08-2007, 03:01 PM
Cyclone, the Natural walks. You and I and a few others are now unnaturally excited about that.

Yer damn right!

oneupper
Maybin in for Granderson in CF. For those who like prospects.

redlegs7089
The Gil person triples home two, 6-3 Reds.

The Natural up.

u mean 6-3 tigers right?

membengal
For all of your minors zealots (and Jay Bruce fans), do know that Cameron Maybin just got brought into the game, I think, along with a pitching change, Joel "Guitar Hero" Zumaya.

Chip R

Easy, big fella. :eek:

Cyclone792

I like it.

Hamilton's now seen at least 15 pitches over three plate appearances today. Not too bad.

membengal
03-08-2007, 03:02 PM
u mean 6-3 tigers right?

Gah! Yes. 6-3 Tigers. Will edit.

Sorry, phone rang, got distracted...

membengal
03-08-2007, 03:03 PM
Alex G, dealing with the Guitar Hero.

For those of us who fret about his stick, this is an interesting spot. 1st and 3rd, no outs. Down three. Will the bat keep up with his glove?

membengal
03-08-2007, 03:04 PM
Alex G says IN YOUR FACE to me and all like me who fret about his bat, by singling to CF.

6-4 Tigers, the Natural stops at 2b, Alex G at 1b. Still no outs.

membengal
03-08-2007, 03:05 PM
David Ross, 0 for 2 on the day, now up.

membengal
03-08-2007, 03:06 PM
Ross flies out to short left-center on an 0-2 pitch. The Natural almost somehow gets doubled off of second, gets back in. Pay attention, Natural!

Machado up. He wishes he had the bat that Juan Castro carries. That's not a good thing.

membengal
03-08-2007, 03:08 PM
Against odds, Machado has worked the count from 1-2 to full, fouls one off...

membengal
03-08-2007, 03:09 PM
...fouls another one off, Sarasota production crew goes to the "breaking glass" sound effect, count still full...

Red Leader
03-08-2007, 03:09 PM
I honestly think Gil and his power would be a much better asset than keeping Castro around to caddy for EE.

You know what? Gil was a former SS. I'm sure he could handle backing up 3B for a player like Encarnacion, who shouldn't need a whole lot of days off. Gil could also backup Gonzalez at SS, Phillips could as well and Gil could be an extra OF if they needed to move Freel to an INF position.

I'd much rather have Gil than Castro, problem is, Wayne wants to win with pitching and defense, not power and SLG%.

membengal
03-08-2007, 03:10 PM
...and Machado works the walk to load the bases (Janish now in running for Alex G). Machado's success in that at-bat is in my face as well.

Votto up against Zumaya. Bases juiced. One out.

Red Leader
I like Votto hitting with the bases loaded....

membengal
Zumaya, taking our Votto love and throwing it in our face, quickly up 0-2 on Votto...

pedro
03-08-2007, 03:11 PM
I like it.

Hamilton's now seen at least 15 pitches over three plate appearances today. Not too bad.

That's more pitches than Jeff Franceur sees in a week.

Hoosier Red
Votto clearly can't hit in the clutch ;)

membengal
...Votto, scrapping in a scrappy way, works the count back to 2-2...

Grounds_Crew
Remember, Junior hit that grand slam off of Zumaya last year

membengal
03-08-2007, 03:12 PM
...Votto fouls another off to stay alive...

membengal
03-08-2007, 03:12 PM
...and Zumaya gets Votto swinging. Brutal. All is loss. How will I go on?

Mark Bellhorn now up.

membengal
03-08-2007, 03:13 PM
I'm over it and back from the depressive place. Votto lives to fight again another day.

Bellhorn bounces to 1b, nipped at 1b in a close play, 1b to pitcher.

End of 6, Tigers up, 6-4.

membengal
03-08-2007, 03:16 PM
Placido Polanco, for some reason still in the game, leading off the 7th for the Tigers.

Now pitching for Cincy, ___________, Stewart won't tell us for some reason, just yet. Polanco grounds out.

M2
03-08-2007, 03:16 PM
I'm over it and back from the depressive place. Votto lives to fight again another day.

Bellhorn bounces to 1b, nipped at 1b in a close play, 1b to pitcher.

End of 6, Tigers up, 6-4.

Haven't the Reds watched the tapes on this team? Squib it near the pitcher and it's as good as roping a double to the wall.

membengal
03-08-2007, 03:18 PM
Bubba Crosy in LF, Gil in CF, Wise at RF, Bellhorn, Janish, Machado, and Votto across the IF, Moeller at C.

Ball popped up along RF line, drops between Votto, Wise and Machado. Stewart says they should have had it, between the three of them.

Still don't know who's pitching for Cincy, Stewart, tell us.

Oh, now he tells us. Jason Kirshner.

One on, one out.

membengal
03-08-2007, 03:20 PM
Haven't the Reds watched the tapes on this team? Squib it near the pitcher and it's as good as roping a double to the wall.

Heh. Solid. Well done.

A double from someone, Sheff maybe(?) puts Tigers at 2nd and 3rd, one out.

Stewart is legitimately confused, probably needs to go ahead and pay attention. Thinks there's no outs, but he forgets he called an out earlier in the inning, I think.

Cameron Maybin dribbles one in front of the plate, Maybin flying down the line beats the throw from Moeller to 1b. Bases loaded for Inge. Their 15th hit on the day.

Stewart still arguing with the scoreboard over the outs. He's wrong. There's one down.

Chip R
03-08-2007, 03:20 PM
You know what? Gil was a former SS. I'm sure he could handle backing up 3B for a player like Encarnacion, who shouldn't need a whole lot of days off. Gil could also backup Gonzalez at SS, Phillips could as well and Gil could be an extra OF if they needed to move Freel to an INF position.

I'd much rather have Gil than Castro, problem is, Wayne wants to win with pitching and defense, not power and SLG%.

Old Gil doesn't have a two year deal with an option for a 3rd.

membengal
03-08-2007, 03:21 PM
Dwayne Wise catches a ball down in the RF line in the corner for the second out, runner comes home from 3b on the fly.

7-4 Tigers. Two outs, I believe.

membengal
03-08-2007, 03:22 PM
Stewart now admits he missed an out. Blames e-mails (in Stewart's defense, the Claussen query probably blew his mind) and a vist in the booth from someone in Reds marketing.

Two down, Tigers on 1st and 2nd. Mr. Spring, Chris Shelton, still in the game and now up.

lollipopcurve
03-08-2007, 03:22 PM
The Gil Guy has cracked a few EBHs this spring. Interesting power plus CF-SS-3B-1B versatility.... gotta say nice trade pickup just a day or so before he became a 6-year free agent.

membengal
03-08-2007, 03:23 PM
Shelton strikes out, Stewart now positive that there are three outs. We all rest easier.

C'mon people, a quick mental rendition of "Take Me Out" is appropriate here.

7-4 Tigers, middle of the seventh.

redsmetz
03-08-2007, 03:24 PM
thanks for the updates - I'm back from a haircut and picking up my son from school - so they can pull it out now while I'm doing work at my desk here.

membengal
03-08-2007, 03:25 PM
For those of you late to the thread, a quick summation:

---Harang "got his work in", which means, he was rocked

---Dunn, a homer and a single

---The Natural, a triple and a walk in three plate appearances

---The Gil person again driving the ball well when it matters, knocking in two

membengal
03-08-2007, 03:26 PM
On 3-1, Chad Moeller, forgetting his job is to try and get hit by pitches, screws up and swings the bat and pops up on the IF.

One out.

membengal
03-08-2007, 03:28 PM
Sponsors of the Reds are going on a dinner cruise tonite in Sarasota Harbor.

Felix Heredia now in for Detroit.

Crosby pops out to short left center.

The Gil person now up.

membengal
03-08-2007, 03:28 PM
The Gil person, with no one on, is sad and merely grounds out.

After 7, Tigers up 7-4.

Grounds_Crew
03-08-2007, 03:29 PM
Come on Reds...lets get a moral chant going here....

"Here We Go Reds...HERE WE GO...."

Haha

membengal
03-08-2007, 03:30 PM
Grounds crew, whose morals? Yours? Mine? Somone else's?

Calvin Medlock now pitching for the Reds. All followers of the Reds' minor leaguers sit up a little straighter at their keyboards...

pedro
03-08-2007, 03:30 PM
Old Gil doesn't have a two year deal with an option for a 3rd.

http://www.the-simpsons.hpg.ig.com.br/figuras/gil.jpg

Nah, please you gotta help ol' Gil, whats it gotta take to keep me on the roster? Dance for you? But you wouldn't even see it.. y..alright I'm dancing.

Chip R
03-08-2007, 03:32 PM

Calvin Medlock now pitching for the Reds. All followers of the Reds' minor leaguers sit up a little straighter at their keyboards...

The only way Medlock is going to make this team is he gets Jerry and Wayne to believe his last name is Matlock not Medlock.

Grounds_Crew
03-08-2007, 03:32 PM

All of us sitting at home, work, etc cheering for the Reds to make a come back!!!

membengal
03-08-2007, 03:33 PM
Omar Infante still in the game, leads off the 8th for the Tigers. Clearly, the Tigers simply want this one more, as they have played starters and top reserves a long way in this one. Clearly, the word has gone out that the Reds' spring training juggernaut must be stopped at all costs.

Infante loops a hit into short left center to start the inning for Detroit.

Vance Wilson now up, one on, no outs.

membengal
03-08-2007, 03:34 PM
Vance Wilson drops a bunt down, no real chance for Bellhorn on that, Wilson on with the bunt hit. Runners on first and second, no outs.

Calvin Medlock being hosed, clearly, by the fates.

membengal
03-08-2007, 03:36 PM
Chad Moeller out to talk to Medlock, apologize for actually swinging the bat last half inning.

Medlock, hoping for the assignment to Louisville this year, bears down. Neifi Perez up for Detroit, showing bunt, 2-1 count.

membengal
03-08-2007, 03:37 PM
Neifi Perez, on 3-1, swings away, lines out to RF.

One out, still two runners on.

membengal
03-08-2007, 03:40 PM
Medlock walks a Cody Kirkland person to load the bases. The crowd is less than pleased.

A Dick Pole sighting!

(pause for giggling, it's still early in this Pole Reds experience)

Will Pole calm Medlock down? We shall soon see...

membengal
03-08-2007, 03:42 PM
Some Tiger minor leaguer shoots the ball by Mark Bellhorn at 3b, two score, 9-4 Tigers.

I think the dream of the undefeated (once tied) spring is coming to an end.

Ahhhorsepoo
03-08-2007, 03:43 PM
I hope Dick Pole can loosen up the guys out there.. Man I would hate to see him have to rip into 'em..

membengal
03-08-2007, 03:44 PM
18 hits for the Tigers today.

Tomorrow, another webcast from Ed Smith. Reds/Indians. Also a Monday webcast upcoming.

Medlock has no clue about the strike zone at this point. If there was a Bull mascot walking around, he would be hiding in the press box at this point.

Another walk re-loads the bases.

Minor league zealots pay attention, Cameron Maybin up.

Tom Servo
03-08-2007, 03:44 PM
I think the dream of the undefeated (once tied) spring is coming to an end.
THE TIGERS ARE WHO WE THOUGHT THEY WERE.

membengal
03-08-2007, 03:45 PM
Oooohh, rookie mistake. Medlock has no clue about the strike zone, Maybin helps him out by swinging at the first pitch, pops out.

Felix Heredia will bat for himself. Two outs, bases still loaded.

membengal
Reds announce they will follow the law, no smoking at all at GABP this year.

membengal
Bouncer to Bellhorn ends the inning.

Middle of the 8th, 9-4 Tigers.

Redlegs82
03-08-2007, 03:46 PM
I hope Dick Pole can loosen up the guys out there.. Man I would hate to see him have to rip into 'em..

:laugh:

membengal
03-08-2007, 03:47 PM
I will admit it, some joy went out of this game when Hamilton left after his third at-bat. Long shot of long shots, he is simply the embodiment of spring training interesting at this point. A joy to consider. The best that there is, spring training style: a repository of crazy hope.

membengal
03-08-2007, 03:48 PM
Dwayne Wise leads off the 8th...and bloops a hit into shallow right center.

One on, no outs.

membengal
03-08-2007, 03:49 PM
Someone just bounced promptly into a Casey, 4-6-3 on the first pitch they saw in their at-bat.

Somebody named Brian Hannigan (Flannigan? Mannigan?) now hitting for the alleged men of Red.

UGADaddy
03-08-2007, 03:49 PM
I will admit it, some joy went out of this game when Hamilton left after his third at-bat. Long shot of long shots, he is simply the embodiment of spring training interesting at this point. A joy to consider. The best that there is: a repository of crazy hope.

Are we still considering him a long shot? Even if he didn't have all the hype behind him, which I think helps his cause, he's hitting the tar out of the ball this spring. How can we not put him on the 25-man? That would be a dream come true for the D-Rays.

membengal
03-08-2007, 03:50 PM
Hannigan/Manningan/Flannigan just bounced out. I think the Tigers guy m i g h t have thrown a total of four pitches that inning.

9-4 Tigers after eight innings.

Red Leader
03-08-2007, 03:51 PM
Someone just bounced promptly into a Casey, 4-6-3 on the first pitch they saw in their at-bat.

Somebody named Brian Hannigan (Flannigan? Mannigan?) now hitting for the alleged men of Red.

Ryan Hannigan. Catcher. Career minor leaguer. FYI.

membengal
03-08-2007, 03:51 PM
Are we still considering him a long shot? Even if he didn't have all the hype behind him, which I think helps his cause, he's hitting the tar out of the ball this spring. How can we not put him on the 25-man? That would be a dream come true for the D-Rays.

Well, I am not at this point, considering him that way. But he was about eight days ago. And it is amazing that we have come so far (generally) as a fanbase on this guy in that timespan.

Just noting that a story like Hamilton is one of the reasons that spring training can be so much fun.

membengal
03-08-2007, 03:53 PM
The Tigers, who clearly want this more, have Chris Shelton leading off the 9th. Bill Bray now in for the men of Red. Bray's been pretty solid so far this spring. He, and he alone, pretty much now carries the hopes and dreams of redemption for WK from "the Trade".

thatcoolguy_22

it was anounced that it was janish. not positive though

membengal
Bray, striking a blow for WK, Ks Shelton.

Grounds_Crew
03-08-2007, 03:54 PM
WAY WAY off subject, and just because I'm curious to know...what the hell happened to Graves. Where is he...or what is he doing these days?

membengal
03-08-2007, 03:54 PM
Fly to right center hauled in by the Gil person, two outs. The loud cheering you all heard was from WK...

redsmetz
03-08-2007, 03:55 PM
WAY WAY off subject, and just because I'm curious to know...what the hell happened to Graves. Where is he...or what is he doing these days?

I think he's in camp with the Rockies

thatcoolguy_22
03-08-2007, 03:55 PM

he pitched 14 innings for the indians last year. for this year i'm not sure

membengal
03-08-2007, 03:57 PM
Stewart now noting that Saarloos seems like the leader for the fifth spot (as he and Fay discussed earlier) IF Wilson keeps pitching like he is. Which puzzles me. Did the Reds really head into the spring taking Wilson's comeback attempt as seriously as it appears they have? I don't get it. He must be the world's nicest guy to engender that kind of love from the organization. Done is done.

Bray Ks another, WK screams IN YOUR FACE to his "the Trade" critics, and we grind into the bottom of the 9th to some Jackson Five motown music...

Red Leader
03-08-2007, 03:58 PM
I think he's in camp with the Rockies

It's a sick joke, but it's true. He's with the Rockies.

UGADaddy
03-08-2007, 03:58 PM
Just noting that a story like Hamilton is one of the reasons that spring training can be so much fun.

Agreed.

membengal
03-08-2007, 03:59 PM
Haven't checked out C. Trent's blog since I've been trying to keep this updated, did his love, "CC", make an appearance today?

Machado leading off the 9th for the Reds.

redsmetz
03-08-2007, 03:59 PM
It's a sick joke, but it's true. He's with the Rockies.

I just checked their spring stats and it doesn't look like he's pitched yet. I wonder what's up with that.

UGADaddy
03-08-2007, 04:00 PM
I just checked their spring stats and it doesn't look like he's pitched yet. I wonder what's up with that.

Where are you finding those stats?

membengal
Machado flies out to CF.

One out.

membengal
Where are you finding those stats?

Easiest way is through mlb.com and follow to the offical team sites. Stats. Spring.