PDA

View Full Version : Bonds and the lotto ball....

jojo
03-10-2007, 01:45 PM
Most baseball fans have pretty strong opinions about Bonds and his chase to break Hank Aaron's record. Those that feel that the record will be tainted if Bonds breaks it often strongly chastise him as a cheater/pariah who tarnishes the sanctity of the game. The majority opinion seems to be that Bonds is an unethical cheater who shouldn't get to profit from his actions because he hasn't done things the right way. But here's an angle to this debate that I haven't seen discussed but which really could be an interesting ethics debate:

I'm assuming that the person that catches the ball certainly won't advertise it as the *tainted HR ball* if they choose to auction it (despite their personal feelings about Bonds). Is that really a safe assumption? Is it unethical for someone who thinks that Bonds is the poster-boy for everything that's wrong with the modern game to then suggest he legitimately broke one of baseball's most hallowed records in order to increase the value of the ball? Basically such a person would be profiting from cheating even though they legitimately caught the record breaking ball wouldn't they? Or is that just a lot of baloney-there's no link between Bonds and the person that catches the ball?

So here's the dilemma for redszoners... Assume that Bonds breaks the record in GABP while you're attending the game. What's your opinion about Bonds and what would you do with the record breaking ball if you caught it?

I'd love to hear everyone's reasons for voting the way they do.

mth123
03-10-2007, 01:53 PM
Most baseball fans have pretty strong opinions about Bonds and his chase to break Hank Aaron's record. Those that feel that the record will be tainted if Bonds breaks it often strongly chastise him as a cheater/pariah who tarnishes the sanctity of the game. The majority opinion seems to be that Bonds is an unethical cheater who shouldn't get to profit from his actions because he hasn't done things the right way. But here's an angle to this debate that I haven't seen discussed but which really could be an interesting ethics debate:

I'm assuming that the person that catches the ball certainly won't advertise it as the *tainted HR ball* if they choose to auction it (despite their personal feelings). Is it unethical for someone who thinks that Bonds is the poster-boy for everything that's wrong with the modern game to then suggest he legitimately broke one of baseball's most hallowed records in order to increase the value of the ball? Basically such a person would be profiting from cheating even though they legitimately caught the record breaking ball wouldn't they? Or is that just a lot of baloney-there's no link between Bonds and the person that catches the ball?

So here's the dilemma for redszoners... Assume that Bonds breaks the record in GABP while you're attending the game. What's your opinion about Bonds and what would you do with the record breaking ball if you caught it?

I'd love to hear everyone's reasons for voting the way they do.

I'd sell it no matter who hit it. Sorry. I'm greedy.

HumnHilghtFreel
03-10-2007, 01:55 PM
I'd definitely sell it.

I don't like the man, so I definitely would have no reason for myself to keep it. The history is nice and all, but I could receive a lifechanging amount of money for me and my family.

redsgabp
03-10-2007, 02:01 PM
i would do like they did in chicago to the bartman ball!

BLOW IT UP.

jojo
03-10-2007, 02:05 PM
i would do like they did in chicago to the bartman ball!

BLOW IT UP.

It didn't occur to me to include that as an option in the poll.....

:D

redsgabp
03-10-2007, 02:27 PM
It didn't occur to me to include that as an option in the poll.....

:D

maybe we should start the season off with a good start against chicago and wear a bart simpson mask!

BARTMAN :mooner:

http://cgi.ebay.com/Bart-Simpson-Mask-Adult-Simpsons-DIS2049-06_W0QQitemZ230102899943QQcategoryZ19255QQssPageNa meZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem
almost worth buying.

i'll save up and get a HOMER SIMPSON mask for homer's first game. LOL

Gainesville Red
03-10-2007, 02:28 PM
I'd give it to Hank Aaron, let him decide what to do with it.

TOBTTReds
03-10-2007, 02:38 PM
I'd say he was legit and has been a cheater. But I dislike the guy for so many other reasons, juice isn't just it. I'd sell it NO DOUBT.

George Anderson
03-10-2007, 02:44 PM
I would sell it to the top bidder. I will never forget the idiot who caught Mark McGwires 62nd HR ball that broke Roger Maris record. The guy actually GAVE the ball to McGwire and refused to take any money. Sorry but after the 1994 strike, the players sent the message that the game is more of a business than it is a game. So as a fan its simply good business to cash in off the game just as the players do.

justincredible
03-10-2007, 03:02 PM
$$$$$, for sure.

Dracodave
03-10-2007, 05:29 PM
I think he is a cheater, but I'd arrange the meeting to give it back.

Screw greed, Screw calling him a cheater. I'd arrange the meeting and ask. Then hand the ball back..

I'd want no part of it either way.

dougdirt
03-10-2007, 06:09 PM
lets see.... taking a $15 dollar baseball and turning it into 6 figures? Yeah, thats about the smartest idea ever.

He was a cheater and he doesnt deserve to get that baseball.

fargo55
03-10-2007, 08:16 PM
I would throw the ball into the Reds dug-out. Have all of them sign it and then send it to Cooperstown. It would be the first time ever, that an entire line-up from one year/season would enter the Hall of Fame simultaneously.

fargo55
03-10-2007, 08:26 PM
By the way, does anyone have an extra ticket out in Right Field? Think about the potential lunacy that will accompany this. My bet, bullpen catcher reins it in.

NJReds
03-12-2007, 10:37 AM
As the most recent Direct TV contract shows...baseball is a business. So if I caught it, I'd sell it.

gonelong
03-12-2007, 01:15 PM
I'd sell it and not thing twice about doing so.

I could set my family up nicely and help out some other people as well.

GL

redsrule2500
03-12-2007, 01:23 PM
Sell it. No doubt.

Triples
03-12-2007, 01:44 PM
I sure would be tempted to sell it. I wouldn't give it to Bonds because he doesn't deserve any more noteriety or money. I wouldn't give it to the HOF because I don't think I want it placed there either. No sense throwing it back on the field, I might hit someone in the head with it, so may as well make a few (hundred thousand) bucks off of it.

Degenerate39
03-12-2007, 02:13 PM
I'd sell it without hesitation and pay my way through college and then some.

Blimpie
03-12-2007, 07:26 PM
1) Take out a Sharpie
2) Mark a giant "*" on the sweet spot
3) Offer the ball to the HOF in exchange for a lifetime pass to Cooperstown

KronoRed
03-12-2007, 07:30 PM
Sell it to someone who would blow it up.

ColoradoHigh
03-13-2007, 06:51 PM
I would throw the ball into the Reds dug-out. Have all of them sign it and then send it to Cooperstown. It would be the first time ever, that an entire line-up from one year/season would enter the Hall of Fame simultaneously.

I love this signing idea! Blowing it up is a close second. You'd have to think that the Reds pitching staff is going to make B***S reach for one and duck for the next.